Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  OK Its Time To Start Painting My Car (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
OK Its Time To Start Painting My Car by radar1
Started on: 01-03-2009 11:52 PM
Replies: 45
Last post by: radar1 on 07-26-2010 01:18 AM
radar1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2009 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for radar1Send a Private Message to radar1Direct Link to This Post
well i really didnt want another project for a while. Ive just finished a Mini and sold it, and a Honda Magna Rebuild Motorcycle thats now finished. so i wanted to buy another car. looked for ages on Trade Me similer to Ebay but for New Zealanders ( www.trademe.co.nz ) and what do i see. somthing called a Pontiac Fiero, what the hell is a Pontiac Fiero, hay we drive on the left hand side of the road and the only thing I new about Pontiac was a Trans Am. so it looked cool and it was cheap so I brought it.
eeeeeemmmmmmm my first LH drive car,eeeeemmmm.

so its been a month and well yip i coulnt resist it all in boots and all
startingsanding the car down where the chips were and starting filling them in

that where im at folks.....

------------------
It Changes All The Time

[This message has been edited by radar1 (edited 01-04-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
radar1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2009 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for radar1Send a Private Message to radar1Direct Link to This Post

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2009 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Well, let me be the first to say, welcome to the forum and the Fiero addiction.

Do a search for Ausfiero's right hand drive conversion.

have fun...
Bob
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2009 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the addiction!! Yep Aus would be a good one to contact down there. He is also often in the chat area.
radar1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2009 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for radar1Send a Private Message to radar1Direct Link to This Post
ok well let me tell you all I Hate Car Filler, Bog whatever you call it ( stuff to fill cracks and chips )
its me i know its me i put the stuff on i let it dry i sand it off and yip the blasted crack, dent, chip dip can still be sean.
aaaaahhhhhhh. i need some suggestions on how people do it. ive tried spray putty, that dont work.

------------------
It Changes All The Time

85GT3.4Track4spdCar

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-04-2009 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85GT3.4Track4spdCarSend a Private Message to 85GT3.4Track4spdCarDirect Link to This Post
How I did it?
Build 'tree' to hold all body panels in an 'exploded' fashion. All body panels in the relative position they should be in.
But 'exploded' like, so you can get the paint gun into and around the edges of each panel/part.
Make sure tree won't contaminate your painting surfaces when you hit it with a blast of air from your spray gun. (sawdust,rust,etc.)
Remove all body panels from car.
Throughly wash all panels, inside and out. I used a harsh dish washing soap. Inside and out.
Use plenty of water and Rinse, Rinse Rinse! Any residue left on the panels can affect the paint job. Clean now, save time/headaches later.
Hang panels on tree. Be sure they are securely mounted !
Hang mirrors, headlamp doors, gas filler assembly, etc. on a crossbar. Parts should hang right at the level you would narturally stand and comfortably paint in front of you. Allow enough room between hanging parts to turn them while you spray.
Wipe down all surfaces to be painted with prep solvent. You can't get part too clean.
Use a glazing paddle & apply glazing compound to blemished areas/spots (out of the little metal tube).Let dry, let dry, let dry. it needs to get hard.
"FEATHER" block or soft touch, what ever works
***WHEN FEATHERING, LEAVE A "FEATHER" THAT IS LARGER THAN THE BLEMISH***
The contrast may look bad now but a raised area will disappear when you primer.
Primer, MEDIUM fill material. Work on spots with a rattle of primer first, then use your spray gun to primer all the panels at once, while mounted on your tree.
Block Sand 220
Two coats of Dupont CHROMA Base. DID NOT SAND.
Two coats of Dupont CHROMA Clear, high gloss.
Let cure.
Install panels.
Park car inside, use quality cleaning products & soft mitt. No Wax.
In a couple of months, or so, have a competent PAINT professional to help you color sand.
(you'll want to be there to answer any questions as to how the paint went on and they'll want to have you help sand).
Same Competent PAINT professional, (someone that polishes paint with a particular polisher-every week), polish.
Apply quality CLEANER/WAX. Only need to softly apply it by HAND.
Apply 3M GLAZE, by HAND.
The result should knock you out.
That's how I did it.

[Edit]
WHOOPS!!!!!!

I forgot to mention, in my earlier post, that I send out the front and rear facias (the front and back 'noses') to a company named KEYSTONE. They shoot them with plastic beads or walnut shells (or something) and I get them back in raw form, all original paint removed -no paint,naked- IF you try to primer the cracks or try to repair them in any way, it has been my experience that the cracks will come right back through the new paint at the first bump. Go to your local body shop and find out who they use to strip the front and back bumper area panels (the paint/body shops send them out to be done, many modern cars use this material, especially on the front, so they know about it) and see how much they will charge to do it. They can also repair any tears or breaks in these panels at the same time. Don't waste any time trying to do these panels yourself, leave these to the pros. Invariably, these panels will be bumped or pushed soon after a new paint job, the new paint should either be Urethane or have a Flex agent so that it will be pliable, the old paint will not, it has lost its flexing ability. Old paint underneath has lost its pliability and will crack and will show through the new paint. I think this is a very important step to achieving a super quality paint job that will stand the test of time. These are the only two panels on the car that you will have to do this with.

[This message has been edited by 85GT3.4Track4spdCar (edited 01-06-2009).]

Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2009 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post
Aye, Welcome to the forum! Nice to see someone bitten by the bug out of the blue .
radar1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2009 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for radar1Send a Private Message to radar1Direct Link to This Post
Ok thanks for all support. i went off into town today due to my day off work ( monday )
went into my panel and paint shop to tell them all that all the product i had spent with them was crap
and was very dissapointed. ( well thats what i felt like saying.

After showing the guy behind the counter the car he looked at me, then the car, then back at me
then the spotty bits of filler all over the car........... then back at me, see where im going with this?

ok he said lets start from the beginning.

what sander are u using, a cheap one mouse electric ) ok dont use that anymore...OK

what filler are u using? a really expensive one from you guys....when did you buy it..... a year ago.... ok dont use that anymore...OK

so i brought a hand sanding block one that bends.
Some new sand paper 220 grit for the filler.
A Black spray can for blocking back ( i never did that )
Some new filler, thinner one for small chips and all.

just got home and trying the new technique seams to be working.

Oh and also he said to use a Filler primer once Im ready this will fill all inperfections that the sanding didnt fix

wa la so easy.....eeeeeemmmm

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2009 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
FWIW, I've found that the two-part spot filler works better than the "primer in a tube" stuff. It doesn't shrink as much. Your Evercoat stuff should be pretty good.

Bob
radar1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2009 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for radar1Send a Private Message to radar1Direct Link to This Post
HELP! .. everything was goinmg fine until tonight when i tried to sand the cracks out of the paint, nothing worked and im scared of going to deep ( im used to sanding bear steel back not plastic... any ideas???

radar1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2009 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for radar1Send a Private Message to radar1Direct Link to This Post

radar1

135 posts
Member since Dec 2008
HELP! .. everything was goinmg fine until tonight when i tried to sand the cracks out of the paint, nothing worked and im scared of going to deep ( im used to sanding bear steel back not plastic... any ideas???

PFF
System Bot
radar1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2009 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for radar1Send a Private Message to radar1Direct Link to This Post

radar1

135 posts
Member since Dec 2008
this was a repost so i had to delete it,sorry

[This message has been edited by radar1 (edited 01-09-2009).]

Kagen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2009 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KagenSend a Private Message to KagenDirect Link to This Post
I just sanded through them, then sprayed with sandable primer
radar1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2009 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for radar1Send a Private Message to radar1Direct Link to This Post
what grade sand paper
Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2009 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
I would've just scuffed it up with some 220 then used a fast filling primer to fill the cracks. If you keep sanding here and there to remove them your going to have more waves than the South Pacific!
Marc

edit:I noticed the primer your using....crap! Go to NAPA and get a 2 part fast filling primer.
Excellent thread here to help you along. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/090549.html
Do it once....do it right!

[This message has been edited by Gokart (edited 01-06-2009).]

85GT3.4Track4spdCar

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-06-2009 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85GT3.4Track4spdCarSend a Private Message to 85GT3.4Track4spdCarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by radar1:

WHOOPS!!!!!!

I forgot to mention, in my earlier post, that I send out the front and rear facias (the front and back 'noses') to a company named KEYSTONE. They shoot them with plastic beads or walnut shells (or something) and I get them back in raw form, all original paint removed -no paint,naked- IF you try to primer the cracks or try to repair them in any way, it has been my experience that the cracks will come right back through the new paint at the first bump. Go to your local body shop and find out who they use to strip the front and back bumper area panels (the paint/body shops send them out to be done, many modern cars use this material, especially on the front, so they know about it) and see how much they will charge to do it. They can also repair any tears or breaks in these panels at the same time. Don't waste any time trying to do these panels yourself, leave these to the pros. Invariably, these panels will be bumped or pushed soon after a new paint job, the new paint should either be Urethane or have a Flex agent so that it will be pliable, the old paint will not, it has lost its flexing ability. Old paint underneath has lost its pliability and will crack and will show through the new paint. I think this is a very important step to achieving a super quality paint job that will stand the test of time. These are the only two panels on the car that you will have to do this with.

[This message has been edited by 85GT3.4Track4spdCar (edited 01-06-2009).]

radar1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2009 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for radar1Send a Private Message to radar1Direct Link to This Post
excellent 2 suggestions guys thank you very much.
radar1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2009 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for radar1Send a Private Message to radar1Direct Link to This Post

radar1

135 posts
Member since Dec 2008
ok just got a quote, the panel shop says they just use good old fashioned sand paper and
cut iut right back and take off all the old paint. cost $600.00

I DONT THINK SO!...eeeeeeemmm

so I geuss im gonna have to do it myself.
any ideas on what sand paper to use?
and when i get it back to no paint what color is the plastic ( BLACK ) at least ill no where to stop
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2009 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpDirect Link to This Post
no no no no sanding too much on those pieces will get you through the gelcoat and that is way too far. Look around your area for a person who does soda blasting. Usually runs 40-50 dollars an hour 2 hour minimum and they can do most of the car for that not just the bumper do a search on it really awsome stuff.
radar1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2009 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for radar1Send a Private Message to radar1Direct Link to This Post
ok ill check it out in the mornng
thank you
PFF
System Bot
85GT3.4Track4spdCar

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-07-2009 03:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85GT3.4Track4spdCarSend a Private Message to 85GT3.4Track4spdCarDirect Link to This Post
DO NOT SAND !

You can sand too deep.

Have them blasted with the right blasting material. Faster, cost efficient.

$600? You went to the wrong place. 50~60 USD/MAX. (each).

*Note ~ You can have them fill the Fiero medallion mounting holes while it's with them (cheap/good job).

If you want.

Have your girl pick out a new, max/rad color.

[This message has been edited by 85GT3.4Track4spdCar (edited 01-07-2009).]

radar1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2009 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for radar1Send a Private Message to radar1Direct Link to This Post
ok got hold of the only guy that does soda blasting
and its only $100 for both bumpers. thank all
radar1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2009 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for radar1Send a Private Message to radar1Direct Link to This Post
ok i need to remove the front and rear bumper anyone got any diagrams for this
or is it a piece of cake, any tricks
radar1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2009 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for radar1Send a Private Message to radar1Direct Link to This Post
ok well let me tell everyone that doesnt know this was a crap job getting this bugger off and look what i found

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2009 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2009 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
now that is kinda funny... wonder what other secrets your car contains...

Wait until you remove the seats or center console!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2009 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
You dont want body filler. What you want to use is called 'icing' by pros. Its a 2 part filler that can be put on painted parts for scrapes, dings, nicks and gouges. I use Evercoat MetalMate myself. It just needs the paint sanded with 220 first and its easy to sand. You just primer over it and paint. I use it all the time for door dings and hail damage. Obviously since its on top of paint it dont make a difference if the body is metal or plastic. Just use you finger or edge of a block to sort of taper what your fixing before filling it. It also dont bleed thru finished paint like some fillers do, leaving a ring around the spot. Dont try to use it to fill all the surface cracks in the bumpers.

On the bumpers, I sand them all the way down with DA and by hand with 180 paper, then primer, sand the fuzz, reprime, sand and paint. When you put the first primer coats on youll see what 'fuzz' is. The urathane bumpers DONT have a gel coat. Thats only on fiberglass parts. Soda blasting is by far the best way though...I usually dont have time to take off, go to blaster, remount when Im only getting a few hundred to refinish it in the first place. Really bad ones, I just replace with new. My average bumper replacement cost is $60-$75 for average used car.

------------------

Owner / Operator Custom Paint and Body...
specializing in Corvette & Higher End Autos for 40+ years
Ferrari, Mercedes and Porsche Approved

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 01-09-2009).]

vinny

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2009 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vinnySend a Private Message to vinnyDirect Link to This Post
I use 3M Pirahna putty! Good stuff. There are lots of different kinds that are good just don't use the red PUTTY from wal-mart. It suxs.
I don't mean the red cream hardener though. It works fine.

Good luck
Vinny
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2009 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I also used Pirana too when my supplier had a great deal on it $12 @ tube. I started getting the Evercoat when it went up, pretty much same results.What they are is what USED to be also in regular filler that made it better. Now they dont put that finer particle stuff in the regular and sell you this for a premium price. Ive also found that the blue hardener makes it feather out better than the red/brown one even though dealers say there the same except for the color. (theyre not). They all told me the same thing about red and gray primers, but that was proven wrong too.
radar1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2009 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for radar1Send a Private Message to radar1Direct Link to This Post
new pics

PFF
System Bot
radar1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2009 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for radar1Send a Private Message to radar1Direct Link to This Post
ok well its time ive painted the white and nearly finished the orange
stil need to clearcoat and buff but here are some pics upto now anyway

Its now saturday afternoon 28th march just finshed work so ill get stuff on th eorange and try and finish
her off and then sunday or monday clearcoat the whole car, prey for me!

------------------

radar1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2009 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for radar1Send a Private Message to radar1Direct Link to This Post
new pic

radar1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2009 02:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for radar1Send a Private Message to radar1Direct Link to This Post

ktthecarguy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 167
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2009 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ktthecarguyClick Here to visit ktthecarguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ktthecarguyDirect Link to This Post
Hi there,
It's coming along beautifully! Keep up the good work.
radar1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for radar1Send a Private Message to radar1Direct Link to This Post
cheers

ktthecarguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 167
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ktthecarguyClick Here to visit ktthecarguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ktthecarguyDirect Link to This Post
Hi there,
It's coming along nicely. I bet that is one unique car, driving around NZ. Are you going to convert it to RHD? I think there is a thread here someplace about how to do it.
Iron_Mark_2003

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Iron_Mark_2003Send a Private Message to Iron_Mark_2003Direct Link to This Post
If it were black and orange it would make me think of Harley. Cool thread, love paint build-ups.
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post
That's a good look, congrats!

Are you painting the mirrors white as well?

[This message has been edited by KurtAKX (edited 08-27-2009).]

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochDirect Link to This Post
I love how you kiwis are so self-resourceful... I wish more of my own countrymen were like that.

Nice work, enjoy the fruits of your labo(u)r.
aeffertz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzDirect Link to This Post
Nice work. What're you going to do about all the overspray on the glass?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock