Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  im wonting to make a list?,turbo n iron duke?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

im wonting to make a list?,turbo n iron duke? by 2m4dude
Started on: 04-26-2010 04:23 PM
Replies: 22
Last post by: 2m4dude on 04-29-2010 08:24 PM
2m4dude

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2m4dudeSend a Private Message to 2m4dudeDirect Link to This Post
im wonting to turbo charge my iron duke but i know how crappy the motar is so im wondering what all im gonna need to upgrade to make this possible and reliable,what do you all suggest?

------------------
MY COUPE!!!!!

[This message has been edited by 2m4dude (edited 04-26-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post
Swap in a better motor, that's the only way. You'll just be wasting time and money otherwise. The duke is good for mileage and day to day driving, not any sort of racing.
SMTHGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTDirect Link to This Post
Dude seriously.... Get a better engine... OOHHH, BTW.. look at my sig... Ill send you a few pics later to your cell...

------------------
SMTHGT.....
Aka. "SmoothGT"
1987 GT 4.9L~V8~4T60E

2m4dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2m4dudeSend a Private Message to 2m4dudeDirect Link to This Post
ya i know the motars are junk for racing i dont plan on racing it really just wont to make one of the best, STRONGEST dukes out there, What would be the easiest motar to drop in and keep my 5 spd?
2m4dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2m4dudeSend a Private Message to 2m4dudeDirect Link to This Post

2m4dude

478 posts
Member since Feb 2010
awww i take it you got you one huh congrats dude ya send me some pics i wanna see her
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
Remembering that the cylinder walls on a Duke are very thin to begin with, I wouldn't want to increase combustion pressure. Unless you're talking about a very low pressure boost system, I'd strike this whole idea from mind ASAP.

Maybe if you found a SD4 block that had its internals removed, but, aside from that remote possibility...
30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post

2m4dude:... really just wont to make one of the best, STRONGEST dukes out there, What would be the easiest motar to drop in and keep my 5 spd?

u r asking 2 ?s. The last one has been asked 30+ x's b4 w/o the 5 spd . The answer 2 both can be found using search, located above.

UHH, you do know how to use the "Search" function??
Vernon8360

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vernon8360Send a Private Message to Vernon8360Direct Link to This Post
30+mpg, have you tried to search for "motar"? That is why, sometimes, it's simply not worth the effort to point out the search function to some dudes
2m4dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2m4dudeSend a Private Message to 2m4dudeDirect Link to This Post
yes i can use the serch function im not slow but i just dont like it personally for some questions id prefer comments from ppl who do the kinda work day 2 day so i guess my best way to go is get a quad 4 and start from there
Four_hundred_86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Four_hundred_86Send a Private Message to Four_hundred_86Direct Link to This Post
In my humble opinion lose the Duke. Swap in a 3x00 motor run a 7730 and you can keep the Isuzu I have a 3100 88 coupe I drove daily until I was rear ended
Lilchief

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefDirect Link to This Post
Start collecting SD4 parts, like block, crank, head, intake, exhaust, just to start with. You can pick out all the other goodies as you go. If you turbo you should be able to whip up on stock V8s pretty easily.

------------------

85 GT 3.4
14.9 @ 90 1.9 60' Old TH125/3.06
Unknown New 4T60/3.42

PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
If you are dead set on the Duke, get ahold of a guy by the name of Neil Kline. He's the only guy that I know that ever suceeded in building a performance Duke that held together.
I can't recall his forum name right now but if you search the posts about the four, I'm sure that you will be able to locate him.
Its been a while since I saw his Fiero but it was cammed and used SBC pistons and maybe different rods. Neil also had a collection of SD4 parts but did not use them on his build.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
If you really want to make a stronger duke, start with a 91-92 VIN R duke (as used in Chevy Lumina, etc.). They're rated at 110 HP out of the box. Then do some port matching, etc. Maybe you can get up to 130 HP out of it.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

If you really want to make a stronger duke, start with a 91-92 VIN R duke (as used in Chevy Lumina, etc.). They're rated at 110 HP out of the box. Then do some port matching, etc. Maybe you can get up to 130 HP out of it.

But with special engine mounts I think?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post
Yep the duke is not really worth doing anything besides driving.

[This message has been edited by Curlrup (edited 04-26-2010).]

2m4dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2010 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2m4dudeSend a Private Message to 2m4dudeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

If you are dead set on the Duke, get ahold of a guy by the name of Neil Kline. He's the only guy that I know that ever suceeded in building a performance Duke that held together.
I can't recall his forum name right now but if you search the posts about the four, I'm sure that you will be able to locate him.
Its been a while since I saw his Fiero but it was cammed and used SBC pistons and maybe different rods. Neil also had a collection of SD4 parts but did not use them on his build.

ya i'd like to get ahold of this guy i'd really love to have a performance duke,I did a serch and couldnt find anything on it,I plan on getting a fastback in the future for racing and everything id just like to keep my 2m4 with the duke but a mean little duke lol
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2010 03:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
I dont see it happning dude. The only dukes that i have ever seen that are trueley race engines are the SD4's and they will cost you more than a fiero's worth for the block. They way i see it is if your car is running fine right now than just drive it. Your talking about turboing a motor that was never built for preformance in the 1st place and ios older than you are. and you dont turbo charge a sports car to drive it slow dude. I would just leave it alone and enjoy what you have.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2010 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2m4dude:

ya i'd like to get ahold of this guy i'd really love to have a performance duke,I did a serch and couldnt find anything on it,I plan on getting a fastback in the future for racing and everything id just like to keep my 2m4 with the duke but a mean little duke lol

Neils forum name is The_Stickman2 He doesn't post all that often but his email is listed in his profile. Just don't et your hopes up to high. If you are looking to make similar 2.8L power you might get close but that engine is hard pressed to make gobs of power and stay together and for bolting in the SD4, its not that cost effective.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

86fierofun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2010 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunDirect Link to This Post
Last year at the dells show wasn't there a supercharged duke? Or something weird like that? I remember the car, but I never saw the engine bay.

There was a turbo kit put out by IRM a long while back that brought the duke up to 6 cyl. power (about 130 hp), but it was really, really expensive. The brochure I saw I believe listed the stage 1 kit at about 3 grand. I'm sure one could reproduce it for a lot less. It was only running about 5 psi.

The weak part of a duke is the lower end. If you have an 88, it has a better balanced crank (possibly 87 as well?) which will help in the long run with a higher performance duke. What kills a duke is high revs. It's not designed to rev high. If you can keep the revs down, and still get more power, then you will be alright.

I've seen several posts on here where people burn through their pistons while trying to make a high performance duke, so keep your fuel mixture in mind when modding. Don't let it get too lean.
2m4dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2010 03:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2m4dudeSend a Private Message to 2m4dudeDirect Link to This Post
so whats my best bet here i wanna swap the motar,so whats the easiest set up i can do here?
Macs86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2010 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
Easiest would be converting it to a turbo 3.4pr. There is minimal modification to the block, you need to re drill the starter hole on the other side. The 3.4 fits into the stock 2.8 locations and can use the fiero heads and intake, or a truleo intake for better flow with the turbo or NA.
PFF
System Bot
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2010 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
do a search on "swap" If you use "motar" you won't get anything. You need to specify "motor"

a better search would be "engine swap".

the easiest swap is likely the 4.9 caddy engine, but, like was posted above, a newer Duke from a Lumina is the easiest swap for you if you don't want to get into the higher gas usage club. Hope this helps

Arn
2m4dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2010 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2m4dudeSend a Private Message to 2m4dudeDirect Link to This Post
a 4.9 would be freakin awsome but i thought there was some huge modification that need to be done mostly what im worried about is the wiring and mounting up,im not wonting to do a bunch of fabricating to get it in there what does the price range run around for doing somthing like this

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock