First Fiero.....Im Hooked! by temulance
Started on: 04-25-2010 11:49 PM
Replies: 17
Last post by: CaravanBill on 04-27-2010 01:37 PM
temulance

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2010 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for temulanceSend a Private Message to temulanceDirect Link to This Post
Hey there everyone.... Got my first Fiero last week and its a blast! Its a 86 Notch 2.8L. Got it off craigslist for $1000. Its all orginal with a TON of miles on it! It runs perfectly but needs some TLC. I have alot of plans for it in the next few months but Im sure Ill have alot of Q: along the way. Im by far not a mechanic but have a love of cars and desire for a toy to tinker with! Im married and have twin 3 year old girls so I wont be sinking thousands... well tens of thousands... into it but my goal is to make her look her best! So far in one week... Ive.... Changed the Starter, Neatly Ripped the Dash off and changed the Fuel/Temp Guage (needle was broke on the old one... won an ebay auction before I even Owned the car)... Installed it successfully too!, replaced left broken AC vent (off ebay too) and going to replace Batt, Alt and belts on thursday. Who knows how old they are! So far whats driving me nuts is the Temp Guage doesnt work, Oil Guage "dances" often, Fuel Gauge spikes sometimes, and Tach not working ( I could have sworn it did at one point!) Its all little stuff that will give me something to do until bigger issues come up. Would like to work on the susp, add some nice 17-18" rims, repaint and redo interior. Next year (Tax Time... ) I might go for a rebuild on the motor. Yeah .... Im sucked in!

Once I get all these kinks worked out were going to start on the Cosmetics end of her but until then I want to make sure its mechanics are all fixed up!

[This message has been edited by temulance (edited 04-25-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by temulance:
Im by far not a mechanic but have a love of cars and desire for a toy to tinker with!

You will be. The Fiero has been making mechanics out of mere mortals since 1984.

Congrats on the new toy.....she looks great. I have a soft spot for the goldies.....I bought one new in 1986 when i was in college. I wish I had kept it.

But do be advised......Fieros tend to multiply. You may as well make room for number two. It isn't a question of if, but when

Welcome to the family.

Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post

Frizlefrak

2921 posts
Member since Aug 2003
Oh....almost forgot, I'll get you started on the little stuff. The dancing oil pressure gauge is the sending unit. It's located near the top of the intake on the passenger side. Fiero Store sells them if you can't find it locally. 10 minute job to change it.

You gonna keep her Gold on the repaint? It's a gorgeous color when it's new.

[This message has been edited by Frizlefrak (edited 04-26-2010).]

timcha

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timchaSend a Private Message to timchaDirect Link to This Post
WOW, congrats on the nice find and welcome to the madness! She looks pretty darn good from the pics, so hopefully you won't have to break the bank there. I've still got alot of good parts left from my 86gt part out, so just let me know if you need anything. Another good guy for notchie parts is Hulki.....I think he has several to part. Anyways, nice to have you onboard!
temulance

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for temulanceSend a Private Message to temulanceDirect Link to This Post
Cool... thanks! It drives me nuts because it actually taps the bottom of the guage! lol Thats got to get fixed... quick!
Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
Mine would flip all over the place at idle....drove me nuts. If you look at the front of the engine on the right side, you'll see a metal tube with a sensor screwed into the top of it. That's your oil pressure sender. Easy fix.
FieroMonkey

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyDirect Link to This Post
Nice Fiero, I like it. You don't see many gold Fieros these days. Welcome to the addiction.

------------------

riley

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rileySend a Private Message to rileyDirect Link to This Post
welcome to the forum, looks like a pretty good find. i am sure you will learn tons about fieros around here. you'll be shocked i am sure.
GKDINC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 05:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GKDINCSend a Private Message to GKDINCDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum, nice looking fiero there.
Good Luck
Gary
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the addiction, buy a Fiero, become a mechanic!

#1 rule for married addicts is to keep the wife happy!

Nice looking car, looks to have a lot of potential. I love tan interiors.

Since you seem to have more than one twitchy instrument it could be electrical in the panel, bad earth of power connection. Everything on these cars is pretty old and tired, especially the ones in need of TLC but once you get the gremlins sorted, they are a blast.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Rck152

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rck152Send a Private Message to Rck152Direct Link to This Post
welcome to the addiction......

------------------
Robb.

PFF
System Bot
2m4dude

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2m4dudeSend a Private Message to 2m4dudeDirect Link to This Post
beautiful notchie man looks good i just dont dig the braws on em dont hide that pretty car lol
temulance

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2010 05:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for temulanceSend a Private Message to temulanceDirect Link to This Post
Bra deff. coming off! I feel the same! It came that way. Thanks!
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2010 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
That is a nice looking notchie very clean, but that bra has to go never did like that look on any car, and by the way welcome to the madness.
Ang84Indy

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2010 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ang84IndySend a Private Message to Ang84IndyDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum. You've got a very nice looking Fiero.
squisher86SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2010 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for squisher86SESend a Private Message to squisher86SEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by temulance:

Bra deff. coming off! I feel the same! It came that way. Thanks!

It's always better when the bras come off

86 notchies are fun.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2010 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
PS. You can't stop at one!

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

CaravanBill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2010 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaravanBillSend a Private Message to CaravanBillDirect Link to This Post
Congrats on the purchase! Sounds a lot like my situation. I bought an 87 SE with upwards of 300k miles but it is actually in pretty good shape. I have had it for 3 months and have had to fix some of the items you are doing (temp gauge, etc). I also have 2 young children so I am careful to balance my time in the garage. I probably spend 2-4 hours a week out there. Any more and I would (rightfully) catch some flack from my wife.

Welcome to the madness!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock