Started on: 04-22-2010 07:26 PM
Replies: 31
Last post by: pontiackid86 on 04-28-2010 12:56 AM
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2010 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
so whos go thte quietest RUNNING fiero? what does a dB meter read? and what did you do to accomplish this? how quiet is your engine at idle?

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987 | My Fiero Fuel Economy | MPG Display for OBD I
Youtube Videos of My GT | modernize your fiero with technology!
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
northeastfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2010 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroClick Here to Email northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroDirect Link to This Post
I guess that would be one of the electric fiero out there.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 282
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2010 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
I doubt it will be anyone running"cat-less".

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2010 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
Lol electrics DO NOT count. Cool tho.
LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2010 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroClick Here to Email LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroDirect Link to This Post
How many people have a way to measure decibels? I already know my car loses though
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2010 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
It would have to be a Fiero with an engine transplant. Stock V6 Fieros have fairly noisy exhaust (compared to average cars), and duke engines rattle.
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2010 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqClick Here to Email faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LitebulbwithaFiero:

How many people have a way to measure decibels? I already know my car loses though

mine too lol.

you can get a ROUGH estimate of the dbs if you have an iphone, itouch, or android device. they all have very rough db meter applications. they arent great, but if you calibrate them they arent HORRIBLY inaccurate
Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2010 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Click Here to Email Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
Mine is currently Zero.
Hasn't moved in weeks!
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

so whos got the quietest RUNNING fiero? what does a dB meter read? and what did you do to accomplish this? how quiet is your engine at idle?

lol i said running
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
My current project is rather loud - no mufflers! But I have had a Duke with a glass pack - loud and crappy sounding. My Formula sounds great - all stock and my V8 Coupe has a crappy 2 into one glass pack and sounds terrible. None of them are quiet!

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 04-23-2010).]

skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
I have a dB meter (I do live sound production type stuff) but I haven't taken any measurements. I don't think my V6 is going to win any awards for quietness.

I'll have to take a reading at idle and at 3k.
PFF
System Bot
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqClick Here to Email faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

I have a dB meter (I do live sound production type stuff) but I haven't taken any measurements. I don't think my V6 is going to win any awards for quietness.

I'll have to take a reading at idle and at 3k.

not that you dont know already, but make sure you take the measurement from a reasonable distance.... and actually, we should all agree on where to take the reading from lol. 10 feet away? 5 feet?
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 201
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTClick Here to Email Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

I doubt it will be anyone running"cat-less".

LOL, I have a cat but no muffler. I don't think I will win this contest either
------------------

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 04-23-2010).]

skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
faaaq, I was thinking of measurements at 10 inches, 2 ft, and 5 ft. The 10 ft measurement will be optional to whomever else does the test - I don't plan on doing it from that distance but I may do that anyway.

Will have to wait for the weekend.
DefEddie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieClick Here to Email DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieDirect Link to This Post
I can check mine with my Iphone or a DB meter/analyzer either one.
I thought you were talking about doing it inside the car though,I could care less what people hear outside the car.

I say we do it at idle inside the car.
If we do it while driving i'm betting the rattles and creaks will be louder than the engine in mine.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
yea, idle inside the car would be better. a quiet idle outside the car would be good too. sneak up on people

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 04-23-2010).]

Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyDirect Link to This Post
Well i have the Ocelot exhaust with no cat on mine.. Its very very quiet... untill you start it.. lol.
CaravanBill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaravanBillSend a Private Message to CaravanBillDirect Link to This Post
I would love to know how to quiet down my bone stock v-6. The cold start 1500 RPM idle sounds like a freight train. Suggestions welcome! Sorry if this qualifies as a thread-jack.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
i think the best way is to swap it out for a much newer and more modernized engine. 3800scII is a fairly common swap. great power and great gas milage

------------------
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2010 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Click Here to Email fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
I have an 88 gt with a 2.0 turbo, no cat but I have a factory v6 exhaust bolted up and the turbo essentially is a muffler in itself. (The govt even classifies the turbo as a muffler on diesel engines) It's very quiet at idle and has a great scream to it when you open it up. If I had to guess it probably sounds something like bmwguru's vr6 fiero when you open it up. Wish I had a db meter

[This message has been edited by fieroguy123 (edited 04-24-2010).]

joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2010 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
i have a DB meter. but my fiero doesnt have an engine right now. i can make engine sounds with my mouth and read it that way. does that count?
PFF
System Bot
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2010 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
first time i've haerd of someone wanting a quiet car. it'd probably be a fiero with a rotary in it.
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2010 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
I have 2 mufflers on my stock v6 4 speed fiero, I had a little one where the cat was and when I redid my exhaust I also put the stocker one on it.

It has NO sound at idle and I think its all engine internal noise you hear when its revved up, but it sounds pretty good 3300-4600 or so. Once its warmed up it reminds me of the sound of a tug boat lol. It drives me NUTS.
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2010 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
Just got done taking measurements from 1, 2, 5, and 10 feet at idle... Also, I took a measurement of idle inside the car and the ambiant sound at 2800rpm (hwy speed)

Will update this post after lunch
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2010 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgClick Here to Email 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2010 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fosgatecavy98:

I have 2 mufflers on my stock v6 4 speed fiero, I had a little one where the cat was and when I redid my exhaust I also put the stocker one on it.

It has NO sound at idle and I think its all engine internal noise you hear when its revved up, but it sounds pretty good 3300-4600 or so. Once its warmed up it reminds me of the sound of a tug boat lol. It drives me NUTS.

now THATS what ive been looking for. how has it affected performance of the engine, if any at all? acceleration? how is it at the low end and the top end?

------------------

project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2010 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by faaaaq:
not that you dont know already, but make sure you take the measurement from a reasonable distance.... and actually, we should all agree on where to take the reading from lol. 10 feet away? 5 feet?

That makes sense, and as your last two questions imply, it should be at one distance to expedite a decision.

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:
yea, idle inside the car would be better. a quiet idle outside the car would be good too.

I suggest picking one to expedite a decision. Not doing so reminds me of an old saying in the research business: "A person with two watches almost never can decide what time it is."

Just got done taking measurements from 1, 2, 5, and 10 feet at idle... Also, I took a measurement of idle inside the car and the ambiant sound at 2800rpm (hwy speed)

It sounds like you've created and taken six different measures of car quietness with your dB meter. Taking different measures of car quietness --- or anything else one is researching --- yields a nice, warm, comfy feeling ---- if all those measurements point in the same direction regarding the question you're researching (in this case, who has the quietest non-electric, running Fiero).

However, please remember...
  • If six different measures point to the same conclusion (which typically gives a person a nice warm, comfy feeling when that happens), one could have much more efficiently addressed the question raised originally by using only one measure instead of six because the remaining five measures were irrelevant; they didn't change the conclusion drawn from just one measure, whatsoever.

• If different measures point to a different conclusion (which typically does not give a person a nice warm, comfy feeling when that happens), now you've likely on your hands an after-the-fact argument about what could be concluded from the different numbers you'd gathered --- avoidable by establishing either specific, before-the-fact decision criteria up front based on all six measures (typically very difficult for people to agree upon in advance), or somehat more easily, by just picking one measure in the first place.
I commend your efforts with your dB meter, skuzzbomer, and have no desire to single out your six measures for criticism. In fact, I hope my comments may help you avoid criticism from others who otherwise might ask you, "Can you take a dB reading at x-distance, in addition to those you've already taken?"
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
Well, at idle (or near it ... auto + warmup = it varies depending on outside temp).

All distances are approximate. Measures taken with a C-weighted Db meter outside near a busy road (sorry, didn't have a lot of time for it).

from 1ft away: 97db

2ft: 91db

5ft: 87db

10 ft: 84db - at this point, the sound levels put out from my exhaust (pretty much) blended into the background noise generated by traffic (I was getting around 82db just standing there before I started the car)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
interior:

Note: these measurements were taken while sitting still; wind noise is not taken into account in the 'cruise speed' picture (which is why I believe there isn't a real difference with the db meter placed where it is). Also, the interior of my car is stock - no attempts have been made to quiet the ride whatsoever. Though, after this, I'm going to invest in some sound-deadener.

idle: 76-78

engine cruise speed: 79-82

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I chose ~2.8k RPM as a compromise between the automatics (which is what I have), and the manuals (which run a lower highway RPM). I think it provides a decent inbetween. That being said, I think I need to retest the interior levels while actually moving....

On an unrelated note: I discovered that my stereo system can play Zero at 107DBc before it starts to distort. Pretty good considering that its just a Pioneer head-unit/amp running aftermarket 4x10s in the front and -what I would assume- stock (replacement) speakers in the headrests.
Fiero Finale

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2010 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero FinaleSend a Private Message to Fiero FinaleDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm I may have to download a dB meter app for my phone and see how loud it is inside (putting it on the center console seems like a good spot). This would be a cool way to see if any improvements on sound deadening were worth the $ if you went that route.

------------------

1995 Pontiac Firebird - 3.4 V6 5-Speed (Engine outta commission awaiting V8/6-Speed swap someday), 93-97 to 98-02 Trans Am body conversion My Firebird's Cardomain Page
1988 Pontiac Fiero - 2.5 I4 5-Speed My Fiero's Cardomain Page

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2010 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlClick Here to Email madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
In CA the legal positions is:

Originally posted by madcurl:

I arrived at the local smog rep station today. I was on time (this time), but the referee wasn't so we're even and everything went okay with no issues.

Referee armed with weapon in hand!
'

The legal distant (20" inches) at 45 degree angle and 1 feet above the ground.

The device used;

Originally posted by madcurl:

In park with engine running;

At 4500 rpm;

unknown exhaust, hehe.

Happy Camper;

------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

faaaaq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2010 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqClick Here to Email faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

On an unrelated note: I discovered that my stereo system can play Zero at 107DBc before it starts to distort. Pretty good considering that its just a Pioneer head-unit/amp running aftermarket 4x10s in the front and -what I would assume- stock (replacement) speakers in the headrests.

makes me wanna see what mine is now, and in a week or so when i put the amp in (dad is being lazy and wont install his new one...).

do you have to calibrate you db meter? the downloadable apps for Android phones and iPhones require to be calibrated to read accurately (Droid version wants to have a deadline calibration of something at 90dbs, approx a standard conversation....but from what distance? lol)
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 343
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2010 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Click Here to Email pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Back On Holidays dads fiero is by far the quietest fiero i have heard. Than again its an electric fiero. Only thing you here is a faint long humm while driving it.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock