Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  How often should a sitting fiero be driven?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

How often should a sitting fiero be driven? by Steven_Kreg
Started on: 04-22-2010 01:47 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: Jonesy on 04-25-2010 06:36 AM
Steven_Kreg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2010 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven_KregSend a Private Message to Steven_KregDirect Link to This Post

I dont have a need to drive all that much. My fiero sits out back (outside in a car cover).

Question is, how often should it be taken out for exercise do you think?

Once a week?

Every two weeks?

Once a month?

I'd like to know what people think. I've been getting it out about once a week, maybe 60 miles.

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2010 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueDirect Link to This Post
I don't know how often it needs to be driven but I can say I WANT to drive mine as much as I can!

If everything is in good shape and there is no battery drains and the like prolly once a month would be enough to keep her from deteriorating. Maybe even longer, I've let my 4runner sit all quarter -3 months at home and it fires right up when I turn the key.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
It doesnt have to be driven at all. The only concern is after it has sat a while there are numerous checks you need to do.
Tyres and rubber engine mounts perish dont even attempt to drive it if these need replacing. Water evaporates or leaks out engine oil leaks so need to check all the fluids. The main thing is the battery it is best not to have power running thru the car if it is just sitting around and if it has it will need to be charged other than that it is perfectly fine not to drive your car and leave it parked.
CogFieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CogFieroGTSend a Private Message to CogFieroGTDirect Link to This Post
mine sat for 7 months in the same manor. I would crank it from time to time, and I moved it once. when i started driving it, i threw in some injector cleaner, did an oil change, and some fresh gas, she drove just fine. yesterday, i notice it tried to overheat after sitting in traffic and taking my son threw the drive threw. i may lost some fluid causing a bubble. i'll burb it today
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post
Bring it over to my house. I'll take care driving it for you! LOL! I drive my car all the time. I have to. My wife drives the new car.
ohioindy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohioindyClick Here to visit ohioindy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohioindyDirect Link to This Post
I purchase my second Indy about 6 years ago. I have put around 45 miles total on it.
Heck I’ll go 7 or 8 month between starting it. It all depends on where it is.
If it’s nice warm and dry I would think nothing of keeping it covered up and not even seeing it for a year at a time.

------------------
Factory Stock
The way God intended it to be.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Ill rarely let any car set undriven for longer than 2-4 weeks. I dont ever just start one up and run it. I drive it around the block, or in inclement weather just around the parking lot at bit. Keeps away many of the problems people have with storing cars. People in my old Corvette club let theres sit from October till May in their garage, then gripe when it wont start or they have to have it towed somewhere to get it fixed for $1000.
fiamma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiammaSend a Private Message to fiammaDirect Link to This Post
What I do with my old mustang and goldwing (motorcycle) is keep the battery charged and drive them
at least once a month. And when I drive them, it's far enough to get the engine fully warmed up. I use a
long hill where I can give them wide open throttle for awhile after they are warmed up.
I think 'if you don't use it you lose it' applies to cars & bikes.
PropaMcGanda

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2010 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PropaMcGandaSend a Private Message to PropaMcGandaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiamma:

What I do with my old mustang and goldwing (motorcycle) is keep the battery charged and drive them
at least once a month. And when I drive them, it's far enough to get the engine fully warmed up. I use a
long hill where I can give them wide open throttle for awhile after they are warmed up.
I think 'if you don't use it you lose it' applies to cars & bikes.

Says the guy from warm, warm San Diego. :P Here in minnesota, we caaant exactly drive our bikes in December.

If I were you, I'd definitely put some fuel stabilizer in it at least. Stabil or seafoam.
Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2010 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyDirect Link to This Post
I would crank it up and let it run once a week.. and drive it once a month..
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2010 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jonesy:

I would crank it up and let it run once a week.. and drive it once a month..

If you crank it up let it get up to operating temps. Condensation will get in the oil and if its not gotten hot enough it will not boil out of the oil.
I have let a car sit for a year without starting it and after checking all of the fluids I put fresh gas in it and drove it to work. I would suggest some fuel stabilizer and blocks to get the tires of the ground if its going to be a long storage.

I would try to drive it as much as I could
PFF
System Bot
joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2010 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
i have always been told having a car sit for long periods of time isnt good for the car.
get flat spots on the tires. valve seals drying out. rust forming on the cly walls in the engine. gas going bad in the tank. inside gas tank could get rusty.
i dunno. i was always told to drive the car every so often just to get the parts moving so they dont seize up and what not. i think once a week around the block. or go over afew speed bumps to get the suspension moving.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2010 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
add to your list, engine and transmission seals and brake cylinders. Ive seen many car put away fine and have to have brakes the next spring. Tires, especially with nylon in them will permanently flat spot and need to be thrown away. Ive seen cars with no leaks put away and after the first spring outing, there are puddles of various fluids under them. Ive seen good radiators go bad over a winter storage too.
AADrcw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2010 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AADrcwSend a Private Message to AADrcwDirect Link to This Post
I've always been told to never let a car sit. As above mentioned all seals dry out and deteriorate(sp?) as well as gas gelling, fluids leaking etc. I let my s10 sit for 4 years as i was slowly doing things to it. I started it weekly but never drove it. now I am having every imaginable issue. every gasket in it needs replaced. every time i fix one thing something new breaks. the cycle goes on... keep in mind the truck is a late 2000 that I bought new.

Just keep in mind rubber and plastic get brittle and break easy the longer they sit, especially outside in the elements.

[This message has been edited by AADrcw (edited 04-25-2010).]

Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2010 06:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

If you crank it up let it get up to operating temps. Condensation will get in the oil and if its not gotten hot enough it will not boil out of the oil.
I have let a car sit for a year without starting it and after checking all of the fluids I put fresh gas in it and drove it to work. I would suggest some fuel stabilizer and blocks to get the tires of the ground if its going to be a long storage.

I would try to drive it as much as I could

yes your right, i should have mentioned also to let it warm up full when you let it run.. sry.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock