Started on: 04-18-2010 11:04 AM
Replies: 3
Last post by: jscott1 on 04-19-2010 12:26 AM
Isolde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking about designing a new Fiero dash to remedy all the things I don't like about the stocker, so I got cardboard, marker, scissors and tape, and got started. But then it hit me: I'm tall. 6'2", to be exact. So before continuing, I called my sister. She's 4'11". She came over, got in, slid the seat all the way forward, and adjusted the recliner all the way vertical. This is how she drives her Grand Am, and in that she still needs to add cushions. I keep offering to make some aluminum blocks to move the seat tracks forward and up, but she keeps declining. Anyway, I took a 2" wide piece of cardboard, and stuck it against the base of the windshield. I then cut it at the steering wheel.
I then put my shoe on the ground where she could barely see it, about 15 feet in front of the car. Then I got my tape measure in my right hand. I started raising the back of the cardboard with my left, until she couldn't see the shoe, then measured how high it was above the stock dash.
2.5"
I had her fix the seat adjustment for me, then I got in. 2.5" worked for me too. I could go more, but decided I shouldn't.
So, if you're a tall guy designing your Fiero a better dash, and you might ever: (1) sell the car, or (2) sell your dash design as a kit, or (3) let a shorty drive it, then there's your measurement.
You're welcome.

[This message has been edited by Isolde (edited 04-18-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Isolde:

2.5" worked for me too. I could go more, but decided I shouldn't...
So, if you're a tall guy designing your Fiero a better dash, and you might ever: (1) sell the car, or (2) sell your dash design as a kit, or (3) let a shorty drive it, then there's your measurement.
You're welcome.

I see your point, but it seems like a lot of work to reach a logical conclusion, don't make a huge dash that most people can't see over. If your dash is above the steering wheel it's obviously too big. But thanks anyway.
Isolde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
I think you missed. First, you can't use the steering wheel as a reference, because of the tilt wheel option. That's why I didn't measure up from the steering wheel. Second, even with the wheel all the way up, the cardboard was higher. Third, not everyone has access to a 4'11" person with a driver's license. I've never met a shorter person who had a license. Maybe there is no minimum, but if there is, my sister is it. So if she can see over a dash 2.5" taller than stock, then everyone else can, too. And I'm about as tall as you can fit in a Fiero, since my height is in my torso, not my legs. So if I can see under the 2.5" dash, then so can everyone else.
I was just trying to be helpful. I gave a foolproof number that will work for everyone. No offense intended to the little people of the world, I think that's what they prefer to be called these days. (We used to call them midgets).
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
You are right, I missed your point. You are way overthinking this. Most people just put the dash in the car where the old one was and call it a day. If you want to build a monster dash inches above the windshield I guess it takes some extra planning.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock