Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  True Projector Bi-Xenon, DOT Certified HID Headlight Project!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

True Projector Bi-Xenon, DOT Certified HID Headlight Project! by Oslo
Started on: 04-17-2010 08:28 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: skuzzbomer on 04-18-2010 01:30 AM
Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post

Until now there has been nothing available for the Fiero market that allows you to have an HID system that has been certified by the DOT and SAE.

Technically, there still isn't... LOL!

We are trying to get something put together but we ran into a huge snag:

What I have pictures of is the NEWEST H6054 headlamp replacement housing. It uses a D1S OEM HID bulb and a true HID projector, a unique design. The construction and materials of this piece are OEM quality if not better. The light output is superior to many original equipment HID setups, and the light output has the sharp cutoff line everyone's looking for in an HID system.

This complete headlight system comes with a warranty card and proof of certification.

The problem we ran into with this on the Fiero is the extension of the glass structure on the front will hit the bottom of the hood when it rises up. This is happening due to the sheer length of the housing necessary to accommodate this incredible bi-xenon projector setup.

The only way this system would work in a Fiero right now is if you left the headlights up all the time, and you would lose the ability to close them.

This setup will produce a better light output than any headlight solution on the market for the Fiero currently... if it fit...

Pricetag: $999

[This message has been edited by Oslo (edited 04-17-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
I dunno why but im kinda not feelin it. But again im not a pop up headlight kinda guy but good luck with it.
Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the comment.

Sorry for the bad pictures also. I just snapped some pics with my phone and uploaded them.

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oslo:

Thanks for the comment.

Sorry for the bad pictures also. I just snapped some pics with my phone and uploaded them.

Now is this projecter buld your design? I know there is a projecter setup for the earley 4th gen firebird's (93-97) that have the projecter setup in them but there not as this as that one.

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Man, I don't care how much better the HID would be but that thing looks just plain ugly
Fiero1K

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1KSend a Private Message to Fiero1KDirect Link to This Post
I like it, but I think it needs LED's on the sides, instead of an expanse of black plastic. Then it would look less like eyes. And awesome.

------------------
1988 Metallic Red Pontiac Fiero CJB T-Top Coupe, # 784 of 1252
"It's more exciting to drive about with your car on fire."
-Jeremy Clarkson
"Them things had a real problem with fire."
-Random Junkyard Dude

skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
Is the ballast built into housing?
Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
Nope, the ballast is external.
FieroBobo

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBoboSend a Private Message to FieroBoboDirect Link to This Post
"Pricetag: $999"

Ouch. That's a little to rich for my wallet.
Besides I'd preferr a lower profile unit so that the car doesn't have that funky "Bug-Eye" look.
But at least it gives us all another option which is always a good thing.

~ Bob

------------------
"Its nice to be important.
Its more important to be nice."

skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
I thought if the ballasts were built in, you could remove them/remote mount them and pull the lens back a bit... But you can't. Bugger.

I still wonder if you tried an "eyelid" on the projector-style HIDs you already sell... What would happen? Just a slightly 'foggy' diffuser on the top of the lens might be good enough for most people.

Its good to try new things; you never know what will work.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock