Finally, theft-proof sound system! by Philero
Started on: 04-16-2010 06:59 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: Nurb432 on 04-17-2010 04:47 PM
Philero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhileroSend a Private Message to PhileroDirect Link to This Post
I know this has been done before... sorta... but I had to share.

Parts required: Amp, Ipod (or any MP3 with headphone jack), RCA to headphone jack cable

I simply mounted the Amp and hooked it to my speakers and power source, connected the RCA end of the cable to the Amp, then ran the cable to where the cigarette lighter is. Drilled a hole in that plate and hot-glued the headphone jack end in.

Keep your MP3 player on your person and hide the Amp. No stereo to steal and it works perfect!

------------------
Phil
Always trying to create something new!
'88 SE
'86 GT
'87 GT Extreme body mod and 2.8L Turbo Propane powered (in the garage and getting closer to being completed)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Brastic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrasticClick Here to visit Brastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BrasticDirect Link to This Post
I like it.

I also like saying that stereos are for people who have mufflers.
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
I like it too. I would use a female plug there though and add a cable so I could set the IPOD in the ashtray. I'd put it right next to me ALDL port which is basically the same.

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 04-16-2010).]

Philero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhileroSend a Private Message to PhileroDirect Link to This Post
Well, the nice part about where it is.... is if the passenger wishes to see what is on the Ipod, or wants to change the volume or track, the iPod simply spins on the headphone jack and they can see and work the controls perfectly. :P

------------------
Phil
Always trying to create something new!
'88 SE
'86 GT
'87 GT Extreme body mod and 2.8L Turbo Propane powered (in the garage and getting closer to being completed)

faaaaq

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post
hmmmm. my amp will be hidden anyways, but this is an AWESOME idea to use in case my stereo gets stolen. that is awesome lol.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 04:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Nice idea although my elbow would be the end of that mod.
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 06:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
How did you hook up the headphone jack? I would really love that, as my iTrip decides not to work many times, and even when it does is fuzzy.
DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
He used this straight to his amp.

Pretty unique mod, No radio in the dash. just plays whats attached to the plug. With the plug being hard mounted it would stress the plug in on the device though.

[This message has been edited by DIY_Stu (edited 04-17-2010).]

aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I've done a mod like this in a camper I have.
I wanted a some sort of sound system in it, so I mounted some speakers into the overhead cupboards and hooked them up to an amp. Then did just like you did and got a cord for an iPod to RCA and it worked like a charm.
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post
This works good until you forget to charge the I-pod or want to listen to the radio. I did something like this back in the day with my portable cd player.

In our Bonneveille we left the stock stereo hooked up and use a cassette adapter to play the I-pod through it. I've never had anyone steal a stock radio from one of my cars. For a little extra bump I used the high level input on an amp and put a 12" woofer in the trunk. It works pretty good. My Fiero on the other hand has alot more in it.

I've been looking at headunits that just have a SD memory card slot or USB input. Right now there are a few out there but they seem to be pretty low quality. I figure eventually we will see a move more towards that type of media versus cd's. The one problem I have in my Fiero now which keeps me from using the CD player much is the MP3/WMA compatibility isn't what I'd like it to be. The player will either read the MP3 or the WMA files on one disc but not both. I either have to convert all my music to MP3 or WMA then load thie discs, to much hassle when I can just plug my I-pod in.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 04-17-2010).]

dbjunkies

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dbjunkiesClick Here to visit dbjunkies's HomePageSend a Private Message to dbjunkiesDirect Link to This Post

another option and will charge Ipod as well...just search part # AIP-RCA

[This message has been edited by dbjunkies (edited 04-17-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post04-17-2010 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

This works good until you forget to charge the I-pod or want to listen to the radio. I did something like this back in the day with my portable cd player.

In our Bonneveille we left the stock stereo hooked up and use a cassette adapter to play the I-pod through it. I've never had anyone steal a stock radio from one of my cars. For a little extra bump I used the high level input on an amp and put a 12" woofer in the trunk. It works pretty good. My Fiero on the other hand has alot more in it.

I've been looking at headunits that just have a SD memory card slot or USB input. Right now there are a few out there but they seem to be pretty low quality. I figure eventually we will see a move more towards that type of media versus cd's. The one problem I have in my Fiero now which keeps me from using the CD player much is the MP3/WMA compatibility isn't what I'd like it to be. The player will either read the MP3 or the WMA files on one disc but not both. I either have to convert all my music to MP3 or WMA then load thie discs, to much hassle when I can just plug my I-pod in.

Myself id have used a female in the console ( under a ashtray door ) and run a M-M wire between it and the music player. Easier to deal with the device if its not 'stuck'. Besides in my case it would get in the way of my cup holder

As far a stereo, many non ipods have FM radios built in. Also, i keep a usb charger in my cars at all times for both ipod and phone. ( soon to be the same device... going to consolidate )

As far as SD enabled stereos, i think that's about to be old news as people move to bluetooth enabled. When i upgrade, it will have bleutooth to avoid wires totally.

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 04-17-2010).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Just to add to this, my wifes HTC Diamond, and my Sony Xperia, which we use as MP3 players in the car, also have FM Radios built in. I have thought about doing this mod many a time as I have the equipment setup in my car to run it like that. However my personal drawback to doing it is that I lose (younger kids will gasp) my AM1130 traffic and news radio. That is the only reason I have not done this mod, as it stands now, I am either using the phone to play MP3's or listening to the news. Bonus using the phone is that all my calls are now ran through the car audio system.

------------------
85GT Soon to be 87GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

As far as SD enabled stereos, i think that's about to be old news as people move to bluetooth enabled. When i upgrade, it will have bleutooth to avoid wires totally.

You may be right. What's the sound quality and effective frequency range limitations of Bluetooth?
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post04-17-2010 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

You may be right. What's the sound quality and effective frequency range limitations of Bluetooth?

From reading specs on headphones, it seems the same as any other piece of audio.. so i think we are good.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock