Headlight Lens Restorer by flexxmi
Started on: 04-15-2010 10:14 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: timgray on 04-17-2010 07:06 PM
flexxmi

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2010 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flexxmiSend a Private Message to flexxmiDirect Link to This Post
I just saw this stuff today in an auto parts ad for a liquid that is supposed to restore your headlight lens to it's original beauty. I can't remember the name of the product, but it's supposed to remove yellowing and haze from the plastic lens. I know that us Fiero owners don't have a need to refurbish our headlight lenses, but I just wondered if anyone has used this stuff and if it works AND if you can use it on your tail light lenses as well. Anybody? I'd love to get a nice glossy finish on my tail light lenses again...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Four_hundred_86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2010 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Four_hundred_86Send a Private Message to Four_hundred_86Direct Link to This Post
its made by 3m. It works very well ive done it to my cougar made my lenses look new. Irs not a liquid more like a touch up paint kit.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2010 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
For plastic non-reflector type lenses both head and tail the 3M product works really well. I've used it on a few cars from the mid-90's when manufacturers were beginning to switch to those style lights.

For older cars that use the old reflector type headlights, I remove yellowing with an old toothbrush and cheap toothpaste. I've actually had better results with that than some of the commercial products.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2010 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
I performed cataract surgery today on the work car. Due to the rocks and the sun's rays- the plastic lens tend to fade. Like Foose says, "it's a good reason to use a power drill."

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 04-15-2010).]

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2010 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
I used it on my dads car. cleared up the outside lenses but for somereason its on the inside of the lense as well.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2010 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/069128.html

------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

Boogaloo

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2010 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooDirect Link to This Post
Mothers aluminum polish is the best, rub it on then rub it off.
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
Hey, I was going to post earlier.. that Curly did it to his Eclipse. But I didn't.

And now he's posted. Bleh
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelDirect Link to This Post
Can this stuff be used on Fastback tail lights ??

------------------

http://www.blackwidowfiero.com

donnie072003

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 04:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Direct Link to This Post
I used it on my 300M headlights and then I got carried away and tried on sons IROC taillights and had really good results.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 05:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
It better cost less than $14 as i replaced my whole headlights with new ones with halos for $14 so why bother when they are this cheap

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 04-16-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
donnie072003

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Direct Link to This Post
My headlights are over $100 apiece. I was glad to pay $20 for the kit to restore them to almost new condition. lol
vinny

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vinnySend a Private Message to vinnyDirect Link to This Post
The headlights on my 2000 Dakota looked bad so I concidered doing the polish thing but instead I wet sanded with 400 grit real real good and just clear coated them with Nason 2K select clear. Over a year later they still look like new. I would think you could clear anything you wanted so long as the lense is clean and preped.

Vinny

Oh yeah, I heard those headlight polishing kit results don't last very long. Most lights have a protective coating on them that is what yellows and looks so bad.

[This message has been edited by vinny (edited 04-16-2010).]

donnie072003

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Direct Link to This Post
You are correct with the coating. The kit says on it that you will need to polish them every so often to keep them nice. I did mine last july and they still look good but I don't know for how long. I like your clearcoat idea. I may try that to see if it makes them last longer.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
I waited until I couldn't stand it no more! It took 200K miles before I finally purchased the kit and I still have some polish left (just in case). My neighbor is now sold on the product. Keep in mind; you must keep the pad moving during the process. Otherwise you'll buff right through the plastic lens.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 04-17-2010).]

Philero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhileroSend a Private Message to PhileroDirect Link to This Post
Wouldn't using a non-abrasive high quality car wax (which I just KNOW all of us Fiero owners use!) on the newly polished lenses every time you wax your car work just the same as a clearcoat without the hassle and possible flaking later?

Just a serious question, not a contrast to what has been said before.

------------------
Phil
Always trying to create something new!
'88 SE
'86 GT
'87 GT Extreme body mod and 2.8L Turbo Propane powered (in the garage and getting closer to being completed)

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 03:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
The local detail shop uses a wax to buff out the haze, but I don't know what type of wax they use. I guess you could try it out on a old piece of plastic first?
Philero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 04:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhileroSend a Private Message to PhileroDirect Link to This Post
I did use a high grit rubbing compound on my tail light lenses on my Suburban and then followed it up with a wax. They were really faded beforehand, and the end result was extremely surprising....crystal clear. I would not recommend this for clear lenses as I know each manufacturer uses different composites, but I am fairly certain that the second stage (waxing with high quality true carnuba wax) would give great results if used consistently.
timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post
I can restore plastic headlights with $3.25 in stuff. 1 sheet 800 grit , 1 sheet of 1500 grit, some buffing compound and some polishing compound.

Do the same as you would paint. works fantastic. Honestly most of these "kits" are scams. wet sand the headlights, then bufff and polish them out.

------------------

Best RV, Camper, and Trailer dealer in West Michigan. http://www.cliffstrailersales.com and he's a fiero owner too!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock