Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  I dont know if i can take credit on this one or not but Antenna delete.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

I dont know if i can take credit on this one or not but Antenna delete. by pontiackid86
Started on: 03-03-2010 12:22 AM
Replies: 36
Last post by: madcurl on 03-04-2010 03:12 PM
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
What do you guys think of this? I relocated the antenna into the fender. The radio still does work and im having the body shop fill in the hole on the fender. I dont know if i can take credit for this idea but if no one has done it than so be it .

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Sorry, but it's an old trick.
jmbishop

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post
Vary old.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Sorry, but it's an old trick.

Damnit ohh well one less thing I have to worry about doing to it in the future. Thanks pat.
1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTDirect Link to This Post
...and someone (maybe Rickaday?) actually installed an additional antenna on the other side, as a preventative measure in case FM reception was lost by the relocation.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1986 Fiero GT:

...and someone (maybe Rickaday?) actually installed an additional antenna on the other side, as a preventative measure in case FM reception was lost by the relocation.

Thats not a bad idea. I would do it but i dont have enough time. I might do it when it comes back from paint.

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
You mean people still listen to the radio? I have not listened to the radio in about 4 years since Sirius satellite came out.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

You mean people still listen to the radio? I have not listened to the radio in about 4 years since Sirius satellite came out.
\

This is comming in all my cars next. Im trying to decide between XM and sirius.

Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post
Awesome plan, I'd do it too except my head unit (old Pioneer GM/Chrysler special fit thing) can ONLY use US frequency steppings - which are all odd it seems. So the station I listen to is 93.2MHz, it can tune 93.1 or 93.3. And there's no workaround... so no antenna for me.
1986 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

This is comming in all my cars next. Im trying to decide between XM and sirius.

Doesn't matter. They're essentially the same programming now. Only a few exclusives that would sway you one way or another. I've been an XM guy for about 3 years now.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Doesn't matter. They're essentially the same programming now. Only a few exclusives that would sway you one way or another. I've been an XM guy for about 3 years now.

I might just have to do this. We had a rental car recentley when my dads 300 went into the shop. XM was awsome I love the no interuptions.
PFF
System Bot
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 05:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
I have sattalite radio and its free. There are phone apps for it all over the web.
1986 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 05:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

I have sattalite radio and its free. There are phone apps for it all over the web.

That's internet radio. Similar, but different. Honestly, I prefer it sometimes, though Pandora has recently begun being ad-supported. Kind of disappointed me when I discovered that.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
I get 4 stations on my drive in to work. The one I listen to is fuzzy but its good enough for a talk show.
For music I use my USB disk and play MP3s
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
I listen to the radio every morning...
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Mine was just shaved..Not relocated.

I would have just put a shorty in somewhere instead of the stock one rammed in to the door frame.
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Skitime did it and documented in his built thread.

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
I've seen it done before, several folks have deleted the antenna and used the roof framework of the car as the antenna. I'm told it works well and is not directional. I haven't done it so, I may be in error as to exactly how it's done but, I've seen it work.

Ron
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
I've thought about deleting the stock antenna and sticking a large CB radio antenna in the top of the rear clip somehow.... Would take some work, but the size increase should be good enough to cover the block in reception (caused by the rear clip)
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
whats an...antenna....seriously though who uses the radio anymore...aka fm/am...

------------------

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I do like Chrysler just started doing a few years ago....using the rear window defogger grid for an antenna. A few minutes of soldering is all it takes. Had no problem with reception...worked at least as good as the OEM antenna. They even work excellent for tv reception.
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hockaday:

whats an...antenna....seriously though who uses the radio anymore...aka fm/am...

For around town, I listen to the radio... well, I used to until one company bought out all the other stations... Plus, my truck radio would be a pain to replace. For long trips... I listen to CD or mp3s.

J.
FieroFury33

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-03-2010 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFury33Send a Private Message to FieroFury33Direct Link to This Post
How this thread got Hi Jacked... anyways, cool, Looks like I might do the same to my antenna. Mine is stylishly bent back to go with the lines of the car... it was an accident though, dropping an unaligned hood on it.. hahaha ricer mod at its fullest
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I do like Chrysler just started doing a few years ago....using the rear window defogger grid for an antenna. A few minutes of soldering is all it takes. Had no problem with reception...worked at least as good as the OEM antenna. They even work excellent for tv reception.

Until you turn on the defroster... Or atleast in our Bonneville that does it that way once the defroster is turned on we lose radio reception.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

Until you turn on the defroster... Or atleast in our Bonneville that does it that way once the defroster is turned on we lose radio reception.

X2 once you turn on that defroster you get nothing on the chryslers.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I never ever used the defroster in the Fieros (disconnected)...engine heat took care of that way before the wire did. I didnt have any problems with my Magnum RT or my buddy with his Magnum or Charger....they use a different part of the grid for each. Im in a few Dodge and LX (Chrysler) clubs and never heard anyone complain. And I only listen to AM talk radio too.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 03-03-2010).]

skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
Last Chrysler I looked at with the rear-window antenna had a separate grid from the defroster... It was a fair bit harder to see than the usual defrost-lines.
dudewithoutfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dudewithoutfieroSend a Private Message to dudewithoutfieroDirect Link to This Post
jimmyS did his but he took the antenna and put it inbetween the a pillar and the frame. he gets good reception better than when he had it mounted like pkids
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
Mine is under the fender as well and it works fine. but I think I have only used the radio once since then because I also installed my Ipod at the same time
amflyer

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for amflyerDirect Link to This Post
We installed a window antenna in our 85 gt and it works great!

------------------
1984 Indy Pace Car
President of Maryland Fiero Owners Club MFOC

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

True since the merger they are 90% the same and the other 10% is available for a few bucks extra. I deleted my antenna entirely and don't miss FM at all.
PFF
System Bot
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2010 02:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dudewithoutfiero:

jimmyS did his but he took the antenna and put it inbetween the a pillar and the frame. he gets good reception better than when he had it mounted like pkids

I think I may have suggested that to Jimmy after I did mine that way. (or vice - versa. I really can't remember now...)
All I did was trim away most of the antenna base, leaving the coax cable connection intact, and then shoved it into the space between the steel frame and the fiberglass in the A-pillar.
There's plenty of that "black goo", (urethane sealant), in there to hold the antenna in place with no rattles.
I did have to cut a small, (3/8" - 1/2") notch in the steel frame to clear the antenna base

This method places the antenna in a more upright position which I think is better than laying it down horizontally under the fender.
My radio reception is great.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 03-04-2010).]

1986 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2010 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

True since the merger they are 90% the same and the other 10% is available for a few bucks extra. I deleted my antenna entirely and don't miss FM at all.

Yup, that's why I don't much care which provider I have. I can't lie, though...I miss my free XM. If I hadn't copied your VW-style stubby roof antenna 3 years ago, I wouldn't have one either. I'd just have a gaping hole in my roof. Eh, oh well...at least it looks cool.
joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2010 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
i think a shaved look will look sharp. even a delete style i like. but then you have a hole in your fender you have to fix.
IwannaIRM

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2010 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMDirect Link to This Post
As others have stated, nope you're not the first. And I doubt you will be the last. The relocated antenna under the fender works great. Mine was done about 2 years ago. I have some work-in-progress pics but can't post from work. Although, I can link to finished mod pics.

One thing I did was tie my antenna tip down with copper wire and add some rubber grommets so the antenna wouldn't rub against the frame metal or body plastic and provide any additional rubbing or bouncing noises.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2010 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Technically, the base of the antenna is grounded to the car and the center post is supposed to be isolated (its mounted in plastic). By putting wire around the mast and fastening it to metal you ground it. May work fine, just pointing it out, might work better if you used a piece of plastic to attach the mast end,
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2010 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
As other's have pointed out- your not the first, but that's one to prevent thieves from stealing your antenna. The down side is; You can't mount your teams flag nor a GM flag on June 1, 2010.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 03-04-2010).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock