How much do Turbo's weigh? by blkpearl
Started on: 02-09-2010 11:41 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Fiero84Freak on 02-10-2010 06:27 PM
blkpearl

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2010 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blkpearlClick Here to visit blkpearl's HomePageSend a Private Message to blkpearlDirect Link to This Post
I'm Looking into a Holset Hx35 or Hx40 Turbo as my possible first start into boost. They are reliable, very well built, and plentiful as the come off Diesal trucks (Dodge) and also internationally. Plus they can put out very good power, but spool good at 3K rpm. But, the weigh about 30 lbs alone.

The other Turbo I am thinking about is a Master Power T-61. What I wonder is how much roughly speaking does a Turbo like a T-61 weigh. 16-18lbs? I need a rough idea to get a handle on the logistics of doing a Holston. Either Turbo will be mounted on the Y pipe off the headers of my 3.4 pr.

Bottom end will be built for power and everything else will be sorted out to do this right.

[This message has been edited by blkpearl (edited 02-10-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2010 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
I think you mean Holset, which is the factory turbo on the Cummins engines that are put in Dodge and Ford diesels and are the HX series. My HX35s don't seem to weigh 30lbs, but I've never put them on a scale to see.

The biggest factor I could see personally would be cost. You can find Holsets all day dirt cheap (I got two handed to me), and rebuilds for them are equally cheap. Both turbos use a T3/T4 flange so mounting either one shouldn't be a pain. Honestly if the difference in weight is really around 15 lbs that would be the least of my worry.
ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2010 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
My Borg-Warner S258 with a Garrett T3 .82 a/r turbine housing weighs 19 lbs, I weighed it on an accurate scale. It's good to support 600whp max, with lots of boost of course.

------------------
'88 Fiero GT - coming soon! - Project MIDTRBO
'90 Camaro IROC-Z twin-turbo - For Sale (maybe)
(And too many more!)
There's no replacement for turbo placement

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2010 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Some holset exhaust housings weigh 20# by themselves.. a hx35/40 exhaust housing without wastegate will typically be around 7-10lbs,and about 12 with wastegate.

The CHRA usually is shy of 10lbs, and the compressor housing is less than 2lbs (aluminum).

All depends what turbo you end up with really, but a holset is typically 25-50% heavier per potential horsepower.
blkpearl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2010 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blkpearlClick Here to visit blkpearl's HomePageSend a Private Message to blkpearlDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the help. Yeah, I realized it was Holset, not the cows

Anyways, what do you guy's think of using one? It seems like it could work well for my goal of 450 rwhp. My 3.4 will have forged pistons and bottom end forged. Allready has Trueleo, 3' exhaust, WCF headers, and 19lb injectors. I know my injectors will need to go up alot. Plus a Clutchnet clutch supporting 400 lb TQ, and a Grand national fuel pump..(by the way Clutchnet clutches are awesome and more reliable than Spec, plus they cost less)

Next step is a 62 mm Throttle body, 7730 ecm swap, DIS ignition, digital Haltech, and when the engine is rebuilt for the forged pistons, rods etc I will put in a 272 or 260 cam. Engine will be ready for some boost I would say.

I like the Holset because of durability, cost, and quick spooling for it's size. I would like to see if you guy's recommend anything else I could buy for under $600 that would also be great.

Down the road as in maybe Later next year I could spend the money on a Garret ball bearing setup. But not yet, and not for first forray into boosting a Fiero.

Fiero84Freak, I believe I saw you post on a DSM forum correct? Any guidance on best place to buy a Holset HX35 for around 200 or so that I can then rebuild?
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2010 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blkpearl:
Fiero84Freak, I believe I saw you post on a DSM forum correct? Any guidance on best place to buy a Holset HX35 for around 200 or so that I can then rebuild?

Yeah. I'm "I_Drive_DSM" on most DSM forums.

I would check at any local school bus shops or truck shops. The Holsets are VERY common. Any Ford or Bluebird school bus will use them and they're used on a lot of Cummins diesel trucks. Most of the time what they do is when a unit gets blow-by they'll literally order a new unit and scrap the rest. When I worked for First Student, whom recently took over Laidlaw Transit, they now throw away all old turbochargers and buy brand new units, because basically they feel risking a rebuild unit is too much. They were throwing away HX35s and Garretts needing something as simple as a small rebuild. See if you can get to know somebody that works at a place like that.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock