Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  I broke a piece off my $@#&*! tranny (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
I broke a piece off my $@#&*! tranny by mattwa
Started on: 12-23-2009 02:36 AM
Replies: 47
Last post by: mattwa on 01-19-2010 12:49 AM
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2009 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

Just based on a few of your posts I've seen in the past, you look pretty mechanically inclined (at least more than me) and I was able to try my hand at TIG welding last year and after a few months of practicing every few days I got the hang of it. Its not as easy as just using an aluminum spool gun on a regular Miller MIG welder, but if you really want to fix it yourself maybe look into a aluminum spool gun, or a TIG. Aluminum welding is a great skill to have. Or if you can find a new case, use that, practice your aluminum welding until you're confident, then fix the broken one and you'll have a spare.

BTW, I'm only 18 and yes, I understand that aluminum welding is tricky, but like everything else it just takes practice. After putting together an aluminum frame for a high school supermileage vehicle contest, I would trust my aluminum welding skills, if you're like me, I love having another skill that will help cut down on repair costs in the future. Just my two cents.

Yes, I am pretty mechanically inclined for my age. I'm actually younger then you (17). Sounds like a great idea, I'll practice welding on the old case. But I don't have any welding equipment of my own. Yet.

Page 2 ownage!!!

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 12-28-2009).]

IP: Logged
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2009 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post
If you're looking to invest in some welding eqiupment, believe me its a great investement, you can fix/build so much! If I had the cash, or saved up the cash, I would look at a decent TIG welder, because you can use different tips to weld aluminum and other metals. Or if you already know how to use a wire-feed I would definitely consider one of the blue Miller machines, and then get the spool gun for aluminum. Good luck with your project!
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2009 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

If you're looking to invest in some welding eqiupment, believe me its a great investement, you can fix/build so much! If I had the cash, or saved up the cash, I would look at a decent TIG welder, because you can use different tips to weld aluminum and other metals. Or if you already know how to use a wire-feed I would definitely consider one of the blue Miller machines, and then get the spool gun for aluminum. Good luck with your project!

I'll get a Good MIG welder when I can afford it. (which won't be too soon...lol)

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 12-28-2009).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Just wanted to finish off the thread by saying that I got myself another 4T60 from pull-a-part. Got it from 1991 chevy lumina Euro 3.1 with 170k miles. Totally wore me out, took 2 days. Not as clean as my broken one but then again, its not broken.

compared to my clean but broken one.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
blame it on PK
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

blame it on PK

No dude. This is a lesson I had to learn the hard way. You can tell someone something over and over again but its not burned into your brain unless you learn the hard way, which I did.

Lesson: If they aren't mating together correctly, DO NOT use a bolt to try and crank then together, even more so on one of the pin holes.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 01-18-2010).]

Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:
Lesson: If they aren't mating together correctly, DO NOT use a bolt to try and crank then together, even more so on one of the pin holes.

I found that out the hard way too, it was the worst day of my life I should have known better but was tired and tried to rush reinstalling a N*.

I did fix the trans, a 4t80e by welding it and it works great

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 01-19-2010).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Erik:

I found that out the hard way too, it was the worst day of my life I should have known better but was tired and tried to rush reinstalling a N*.

I did fix the trans, a 4t80e by welding it and it works great

Was it on of the dowel pin holes? If it wasn't then yea, easy fix. Plus there is a lot more 4T60's then 4T80E's. And i really wouldn't want to try and pull one of those like i did with my 4T60, way too heavy, about 350lbs compared to 150.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock