Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Nice alternative to pisa tail light lenses (pics)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Nice alternative to pisa tail light lenses (pics) by pontiackid86
Started on: 08-03-2009 03:09 PM
Replies: 35
Last post by: Tony Kania on 08-04-2009 08:53 PM
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2009 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
While in napa today I was passing by the truck light isle in napa and got a great idea for my taillights. I love the pisa taillights but, I never liked how the lenses stuck out past the light cover itself So today in napa I was in the truck light isle and saw the 4 inch lights that go into your everyday mack peat or kenworth truck and thought they would look great in a fiero. So I picked up a rubber grommet and one of the lights to test it out and look what I came up with. My finished product will be LED and the grommet in there a lot nicer but you get the point. i like them because they are recessed into the light pannel rather than sticking out of it.
also at $180 for corvette lenses from pisa I would assume this set up to be cheaper.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 08-03-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Blueiii

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2009 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlueiiiSend a Private Message to BlueiiiDirect Link to This Post
What panels are those in??? Kahines or similar style?
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2009 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blueiii:

What panels are those in??? Kahines or similar style?

That would be pisa's pannels.

http://pisafierohq.com/lights/gt_taillights/

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2009 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
I like the look of the NAPA light better. Looks more streamlined and molded than the PISA kind. Also the solid red color looks better than the "bullseye" lens.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2009 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I like the look of the NAPA light better. Looks more streamlined and molded than the PISA kind. Also the solid red color looks better than the "bullseye" lens.

Thank you for the comment dennis. I like the look of it better to. It looks like it was made for the taillight not just in there with nuts and screws.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post08-03-2009 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
I like the truck lights better also. Just looks like it should be there. Good job Pontiackid.

Tony
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2009 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

I like the truck lights better also. Just looks like it should be there. Good job Pontiackid.

Tony

Thanks tony. Havent herd from you in a while how have you been?

redfieroman2

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-03-2009 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redfieroman2Send a Private Message to redfieroman2Direct Link to This Post
I'd get them but the lenses are too much
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2009 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by redfieroman2:

I'd get them but the lenses are too much

Im dead sure these lenses are a lot cheaper than pisa's lenses.
These lights you can pick up at any kind or truck stop or auto parts store. Only problem is when they go bad there bad and you have to chuck the whole light.

If your dead set on pisa's buy the pannel from them and I have 2 sets of there lenses that will fit in them. Ill a sell a set of them them to you for $80

Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2009 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
That looks better I never liked the screws in the lenses it looks hacked. the grommet makes it look like belongs there, and I too do not like the bulls eye lenses. The only reason to have those is for backup lights. What are the napa part numbers, because I'd like to get a set of the pisa panels and use these lenses. When are you getting the car painted btw?
redfieroman2

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-03-2009 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redfieroman2Send a Private Message to redfieroman2Direct Link to This Post
i was reffering to the PISA lenses being too much.

I would be interested in the panels if my local napa had the lenses you speak of great find!!
PFF
System Bot
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2009 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Only problem is when they go bad there bad and you have to chuck the whole light.

You'll find out that's a big deal with those lights. The same company that produces those lights used to produce lighting on old International buses for the eight-way systems and brake lights. The lighting and everything is exactly the same, down to the electrical design on the back. They very frequently go out and are not all that reliable at all. I call them 'throwaway' lights. Yeah I bet you found them dirt cheap, but you'll be replacing a lot of them. I'd say for every bulb you would replace with a regular light you're going to end up replacing two to three of these.

They do look very good though on that panel. I like them because they have a very solid look to them. The PISA Corvette style lights have too much going on with them. I'll admit I'd rock them over the others.

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 08-03-2009).]

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2009 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Well out of my own boredum today i decided to just get this project over and done with so here you go guys. in total it cost me around $55 total for the whole transformation excluding the taillight pannel

here you go guys
I think lit up they have a much more omnius and menicing glow than the old lenses ill get night shots when it gets darker.

I solved my one problem to. basicley from the start i wanted to have all 4 lights light up with the headlights on and outer lights run as turn signals and inner lights work at brake lights. pisa's lenses did not work like that. they made it so basicley the ourer ones were only turn signals and the inner lights worked as brakes an running lights.

Only problem its quite clear to the police that i do not have back up lights so ill have to fix that soon.

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2009 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
Clean as hell. They also make the truck style lights with the clear red lenses so you can see the individual led's inside but yours look really nice and clean.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2009 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Clean as hell. They also make the truck style lights with the clear red lenses so you can see the individual led's inside but yours look really nice and clean.

I looked into the LED's there are pricey as hell. A regular truck red one is about $30 a piece. ill upgrade them someday but for right now they work. glad you like them IMSA.

Reality

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2009 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RealityClick Here to visit Reality's HomePageSend a Private Message to RealityDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure if it is on the website or not but Fierowarehouse.com also sells the taillight panels. Just have to give Doug an email and ask.

Also I like the Napa lights better as well!

------------------

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2009 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleDirect Link to This Post
This is Deja Vu!

I guy in our club knew about these same "truck" tail lights.
What was different though is he used old, delaminated GT
tail lights lenses (from an 86-88 GT) and drilled holes big enough
to accept the lenses. He made this project a "show and tell" during
one of our club meetings about 2 years ago.

Kit
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2009 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Heres your night shot ladies and gents. Im in love already.

kyunderdawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2009 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyunderdawgSend a Private Message to kyunderdawgDirect Link to This Post
Is there a car out there that has the backing that you could use to swap out the backside of the lense to use the "twist" tabs that are already on the Fiero's harness? Some of you have cut the lenses in half to make clear tails, so can't this also be done here? Just a thought.

I love the stock Fiero tails, so I've never liked those tail lights, but with the "flush" lenses it actually looks a whole lot better. I think you might have hit a home run here, Rick.

[This message has been edited by kyunderdawg (edited 08-03-2009).]

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2009 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by kyunderdawg:

Is there a car out there that has the backing that you could use to swap out the backside of the lense to use the "twist" tabs that are already on the Fiero's harness? Some of you have cut the lenses in half to make clear tails, so can't this also be done here? Just a thought.

I love the stock Fiero tails, so I've never liked those tail lights, but with the "flush" lenses it actually looks a whole lot better. I think you might have hit a home run here, Rick.

Thanks a lot man. yea I was just in napa and these lights hit me like a train and I decided to give it a try. I dont really want the clear ones on the back. Im painting my car a hell fire red and these lights I think are going to be a very nice flair to the paint job.

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2009 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
Those are pretty nice at night. Good job.
PFF
System Bot
JohnyGt67

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2009 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnyGt67Send a Private Message to JohnyGt67Direct Link to This Post
Just a thought, for backup light, I wonder how a set of those super slim driving lights, installed where the reflectors now reside in the bumper would look. Would be super bright for dark driveways, etc., too.

------------------
'84 Sport Coupe (third time's a charm?)

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2009 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnyGt67:

Just a thought, for backup light, I wonder how a set of those super slim driving lights, installed where the reflectors now reside in the bumper would look. Would be super bright for dark driveways, etc., too.

I have a setup from pilot that are almost a direct fit into thoes ports. I just have to find the time to make brackets and such for them. iv been going for months without getting pulled over for no reverse lights. i think its just somthing that does not hit cops that hard. or they just dont notice it.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2009 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnyGt67:

That's what I did when I converted to LED tail lights. The fog lights are great for backing up at night. You can actually see where you're going!
rjblaze

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2009 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeDirect Link to This Post
Great job Rick! Those things look great! I am trying something very similar in my (whoever made it?) taillight panel by using LED truck lights I bought at a Pilot gas/diesel truck station. 1 amber (outer), 2 red (next two) and 1 clear for back-up.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2009 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rjblaze:

Great job Rick! Those things look great! I am trying something very similar in my (whoever made it?) taillight panel by using LED truck lights I bought at a Pilot gas/diesel truck station. 1 amber (outer), 2 red (next two) and 1 clear for back-up.

if you dont like the amber color ones go to napa. Thoes red ones are good for brake turn and running lights.

Max The Chainsaw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2009 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Max The ChainsawClick Here to visit Max The Chainsaw's HomePageSend a Private Message to Max The ChainsawDirect Link to This Post
Nice job on the truck lights. Looks like the ones I put in my wife's 88GT back in 2006. I like them because they are sealed.
Here are a couple pics of her car when we were building it. The car is purple, but if you photograph in in low light the pics come out blue.

Max
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2009 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Max The Chainsaw:

Nice job on the truck lights. Looks like the ones I put in my wife's 88GT back in 2006. I like them because they are sealed.
Here are a couple pics of her car when we were building it. The car is purple, but if you photograph in in low light the pics come out blue.

Max

looks nice dude. Wo makes your lenses?

Max The Chainsaw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2009 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Max The ChainsawClick Here to visit Max The Chainsaw's HomePageSend a Private Message to Max The ChainsawDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

looks nice dude. Wo makes your lenses?

Thanks.

Those are made by Grote. They are based in Canada, Toronto I think..... They are one of the big truck light manufacturers. I have 2 of their lights in LED versions. When I can find 2 more I'll put them on her car.

As you can see, I went with red all the way across. all 4 light up for taillights, the inner 2 are also brake lights and the outer 2 are also turn signals. We put slim fog lights where the reflectors used to be for backups.

Max
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2009 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Max The Chainsaw:

Thanks.

Those are made by Grote. They are based in Canada, Toronto I think..... They are one of the big truck light manufacturers. I have 2 of their lights in LED versions. When I can find 2 more I'll put them on her car.

As you can see, I went with red all the way across. all 4 light up for taillights, the inner 2 are also brake lights and the outer 2 are also turn signals. We put slim fog lights where the reflectors used to be for backups.

Max

Thats exactley how mine work and how im going to do my backup lights. my lenses are made by trucklite. Only thing i dont like about them is the name trucklite is on the lense and the grommet. you dont see them from far away but up close you can see them. Im just real pickey but it will do.

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-03-2009 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
The night shots rock! I too never liked the screws in the Pisa lights. Much cleaner design.

Pontiackid, life is good. Just been getting ready for Fiero Fest. I will take lots of pics this Saturday.

Tony
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2009 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

The night shots rock! I too never liked the screws in the Pisa lights. Much cleaner design.

Pontiackid, life is good. Just been getting ready for Fiero Fest. I will take lots of pics this Saturday.

Tony

Dude how come all the good shows are so far away. carlisle is about the only exciting thing around here.\

The screw holes dident bother me at all it was how big the lenses were. There so out there like look at me look at me. Now these ones are in there and look more menecing than the corvette ones.

Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2009 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post
My tail lights started out as a 2 piece Pisa unit. I wanted to get rid of the bulls eye inner light so I did this.

I never liked the 2 piece system so I glassed them together. I then got some 88 Corvette tail lights ($40.00 for 4) I then made my own mold and glassed in new mounts for the Corvette lights. To provide backup lights I mounted combo backup/reflector units from a Pontiac Sunbird in place of the Fiero reflectors.

Nice work on your mod!

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE Daily driver with a 3.4 DOHC build underway
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)

thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2009 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
those lights cost about 8 to 12 bucks a piece in my supply shop....tim... and yes they are made by a company called grote...
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2009 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
bump
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-04-2009 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
Fieroking's Sunbird lights are really slick. You may want to find something like that at the local yard.

Tony

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock