Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  spare tire and 11.25 LeBaron brakes question (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
spare tire and 11.25 LeBaron brakes question by gaas88
Started on: 06-22-2007 11:46 PM
Replies: 49
Last post by: Fieroseverywhere on 02-10-2010 12:09 PM
87GT_97114

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT_97114Click Here to visit 87GT_97114's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87GT_97114Direct Link to This Post
I was thinking I'd get one that works but is very slightly too large to get into the spare well. Just let the air out of it and jam it in there, I always have a 12V compressor with me anyway. I do realize that they are a very stiff construction but it might work.
I do have a cut trunk so I'm always open for suggestions as to storing the flat 225/55/16, passenger calls a cab I guess!
IP: Logged
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phil:

If you put a 16" spare in the front you may want to check to see if your sunroof still fits in the front too

Depends on the tire. I needed the smaller T115/70D16 so it would fit under my amplifier up front. The T135 that was on the wheel is BIG.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-07-2008).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

fierosound

15155 posts
Member since Nov 1999

Originally posted by Fieroseverywhere:

I actually had a conversation with a guy from a local firestone store today. Here is how it went...

Guy: Firestone, how can I help you?
Me: Hello, I need a replacement tire for my compact spare.
Guy: Ok. Do you know what size you need?
Me: T115/70D16...

I got mine through a Firestone dealer - $70. That was 2 years ago. I guess they are phasing them out.

EDIT: Looks like the 2007 Mazda MAZDA6 Sport VE has that size of spare tire. Maybe you can find one at the wreckers.
http://www.google.ca/search...emporary+spare&meta=

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-07-2008).]

Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2008 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

I got mine through a Firestone dealer - $70. That was 2 years ago. I guess they are phasing them out.

EDIT: Looks like the 2007 Mazda MAZDA6 Sport VE has that size of spare tire. Maybe you can find one at the wreckers.
http://www.google.ca/search...emporary+spare&meta=

Cool. Thanks. I'll start asking around about that one and see what I can come up with. I appreciate your help.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2008 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroseverywhere:

Cool. Thanks. I'll start asking around about that one and see what I can come up with. I appreciate your help.

Not a problem. Some people still prefer to buy full-size spare. Maybe you can find a Mazda6 owner who has done this and has no use for his compact spare.

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman!

Tom Slick and I are going to the j/y today... a 16" spare is the object of my quest, they have a LeBaron in the yard, we'll see if it still has it's spare. Finding 90's era Subaru's is like... impossible.

I just wanted to thank Fieroseverywhere for all his details and the good pics... that REALLY helped this thread out.
I gave you a (+) for it.

JScott, called you yesterday... gimme a ring!

------------------

<---- did you buy Cliff a beer?

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2009 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by blakeinspace:

Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman!

JScott, called you yesterday... gimme a ring!

I guess you can ignore the thread reference I just sent you since you were the one that brought this thread back from the dead.

I still haven't installed my 12" brakes so I can't say one way or the other if the Subaru spare fits. But I did buy two of them just in case.

BTW they are easy to find on ebay...let your fingers do the walking instead of prowling through junk yards.
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2009 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:
I guess you can ignore the thread reference I just sent you since you were the one that brought this thread back from the dead.

I still haven't installed my 12" brakes so I can't say one way or the other if the Subaru spare fits. But I did buy two of them just in case.

BTW they are easy to find on ebay...let your fingers do the walking instead of prowling through junk yards.

Hey Bro, glad to hear your VM the other night. You have a good excuse to be busy

That's actually why I called, I wondered if you still have 2 Subie spares, if you had plans for them, or if I could buy one from you.
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2010 04:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

After you have taken the spare out of the front, you take all the junk you have in your trunk and put it in the front. You take your flat tire and put it in the trunk.

If for some reason your flat won't fit in the trunk, (you have a Madcurl sized wheel and tire) then you have the passenger hold it in their lap.

I have no passenger seat most of the time in my car so I have tons of room for a flat

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 02-10-2010).]

Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2010 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
I never posted my fix for the spare tire size. I ended up finding a F-body spare in a 16". T135/60-16. It's probably the max size that can fit under the hood and it still close.

So to summarize...

-96 subaru spare.
-Open center bore .1mm.
-Mounted F-body tire to suby wheel. (WS6 firebird to be exact)
-My need for a spacer on the front appears to be unique to my car. Probably the custom caliper adapters on the front. The rear were different and no spacer was needed.
-Minor trimming of the lip in the front compartment helped with the increased width of the new tire. It fit before trimming but fit much easier afterwards.

Clearnace for 12" vette rotors with 88 fiero calipers and fits under the hood. Hope this helps others out.

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 02-10-2010).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock