Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  The Official build up thread for the Jscott1 Indy (Page 4)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
The Official build up thread for the Jscott1 Indy by jscott1
Started on: 05-18-2005 08:55 PM
Replies: 138
Last post by: jscott1 on 11-07-2009 12:06 AM
ohioindy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2008 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohioindyClick Here to visit ohioindy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohioindyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Time for a little maintenance. This should earn points from OhioIndy...

IP: Logged
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Okay, after a few half-hearted attempts to sell my Indy I've decided to not try to sell it.

So here we go with more stuff to work on.

I've decided to do a junk yard upgrade and replace the steering column with one from and 85. I had the traditional loose column, a bad wiper switch and a wonky turn signal switch. So in one fell swoop I fix all three problems, and I get pulse wipers as a bonus. By the way, this was an automatic column, but I won't miss that stupid little lever, it's not needed in my opinion.

One of the more clever things GM did is that the 85 - 88 pulse wipers use the same wiring as the regular wipers. So all you have to do is replace the switch and the motor and you have pulse wipers. One thing to note is that factory 84 pulse work on a completely different set of wiring, so can't easily upgrade from 84 pulse to 85-88 pulse.

The whole column swap only took an hour or so. And don't worry, I'll put the Indy steering wheel back on after I repair the leather.

My next project is the master cylinder. It's definitely leaking and needs to be replaced, (again).

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Ah the 'joys' of 84 wiring differences...

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2008 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Two weeks ago I came out of a store and looked at my Indy and said, "hmmm, I don't remember parking over a green puddle of water" Come to find out my hose from the front side of the motor to the coolant pipe sprung a leak.

I decided to replace all the hoses since they are probably all 25 years old. I''m also going to replace the thermostat, the thermostat housing, a crushed coolant pipe, the overflow container and the caps. I just got the box from the Fiero Store today. After having been towed home 80 miles I don't intend for that to happen again anytime soon.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 04-22-2008).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
all the new coolant components are ready to go on the car:

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2008 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

all the new coolant components are ready to go on the car:

Finally got all this stuff installed...

Drove the Indy today for the Memorial Day Weekend Anniversary Drive.

And it got off to a rocky start getting the shift cable adjusted and I had the MAP sensor disconnected. But once I got all that squared away it's purring like a kitten. Still a page long list of issues, and it looks like something the cat would drag in, but it's getting better all the time.

Replaced the clutch master cylinder
Passenger coolant tube
Shift cable
Thermostat housing
overflow tank
Radiator cap
and of course the coolant

It always ran a little hot because that coolant tube was pinched. Here's a tip, if you see this:

Expect to see this:

Luckily the passenger side is easy to replace. Only had to remove the lower attachment on the shock to get it out.

Did a little clean up while I was replacing the cables and stuff

Let's see how these repairs hold up and then if it doesn't strand me on the side of the road or catch fire maybe I can start working on the cosmetic issues??

dcfox

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2008 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcfoxSend a Private Message to dcfoxDirect Link to This Post
Well Jonathan...looks like you might have a tough decision on your hands come August.
Which Fiero will you make the trip down here for Cruise Night in?lol.

------------------
--David

Golden Triangle Fiero Club

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2008 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by dcfox:

Well Jonathan...looks like you might have a tough decision on your hands come August.
Which Fiero will you make the trip down here for Cruise Night in?lol.

After the better part of a year with no running Fieros, I now have two. And as soon as I can install a few more things on the chop top and get it inspected I'll have all three.

I have some unfinished business driving the Indy back from Beaumont so it will be tempting?
dcfox

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2008 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcfoxSend a Private Message to dcfoxDirect Link to This Post
LOL...gotta show it who's boss huh?
CenTexIndy

Feedback score:    (32)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2008 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CenTexIndySend a Private Message to CenTexIndyDirect Link to This Post
Lookin' Good!!!
ktthecarguy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 167
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2008 05:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ktthecarguyClick Here to visit ktthecarguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ktthecarguyDirect Link to This Post
That engine bay is cleaning up nicely. Good job!
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2009 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Got my Inspection sticker and a rear end collision today!

First, it was such a blast getting my first post-emissions inspection. As I'm explaining the balky shifter cable, the inspector informs me that all he's going to do is, "pull it in the garage and put a sticker on it"

What a difference from the ASM nonsense that they put you through for cars less than 24 years old.

Now on the way home as I'm sitting at a light, I'm messing with the balky shifter trying to find first gear and suddenly the car lunges forward, and I'm like "WTF!?" Then I look in the mirror and realize that some guy in an explorer has just rear ended me.

We get out and I swear he is drunk as a skunk, or high or something. Well he didn't really hit me that hard, but he did knock something loose enough that I got a "check engine" light. But he didn't leave a mark and I was feeling generous and told him to be on his way.

After I got home I put a vacuum line back on and all is well.

But I'm legal for another year. Total mileage since last inspection in October 2007...729 Miles

HC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 04:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post
That sucks, hopefully nothing is damaged and by the sound of it your ok. Cars looking good!

[This message has been edited by HC (edited 02-17-2009).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Now on the way home as I'm sitting at a light, I'm messing with the balky shifter trying to find first gear and suddenly the car lunges forward, and I'm like "WTF!?" Then I look in the mirror and realize that some guy in an explorer has just rear ended me.

We get out and I swear he is drunk as a skunk, or high or something. Well he didn't really hit me that hard, but he did knock something loose enough that I got a "check engine" light. But he didn't leave a mark and I was feeling generous and told him to be on his way.

I hate drunks. I would've called the police ASAP!
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post
agreed

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 02-17-2009).]

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post

First, it was such a blast getting my first post-emissions inspection. As I'm explaining the balky shifter cable, the inspector informs me that all he's going to do is, "pull it in the garage and put a sticker on it"

What a difference from the ASM nonsense that they put you through for cars less than 24 years old.

After I got home I put a vacuum line back on and all is well.

But I'm legal for another year. Total mileage since last inspection in October 2007...729 Miles

Mine needs tags and inspection. I'm nor gonna get it done till March or April. I killed the insurance and parked it in my garage after the Lufkin Ruckus.
Joe
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

I hate drunks. I would've called the police ASAP!

I probably would have except this was half-time for my Valentine's day weekend celebration. Standing on the side of the road waiting for the Po Po would have cut into my fun time.

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post

I probably would have except this was half-time for my Valentine's day weekend celebration. Standing on the side of the road waiting for the Po Po would have cut into my fun time.

And I know how you are with the Po-Po

(I know, I know... I have NO room to talk.... er, type...)
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2009 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Okay I didn't get rear ended, but this car is either cursed or haunted.

Still trying to resolve the balky shifter. I still don't have the right parts to mate a muncie cable to tranny.

Anyway I'm getting tires, (not the right size because I can't stand those 14" wheels) and then out of nowhere the engine goes from purring like a kitten to running like crap and stalls.

It's the dreaded Code 42. So either my ignition module is going bad, or more likely I have a bad or loose ground somewhere as the problem mysteriously clears itself and the engine is purring again after it fires up. It only does this every so often so it's highly intermittent, which usually equals a loose wire somewhere. Now only to get enough daylight that I can look for it.

Number of mile driven since February? An OhioIndy-like ~200 miles.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock