Time to discuss WestFest? by kevin
Started on: 02-13-2009 11:36 PM
Replies: 66
Last post by: SILVERMIST on 03-17-2009 12:47 AM
D2inDFW

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for D2inDFWClick Here to visit D2inDFW's HomePageSend a Private Message to D2inDFWDirect Link to This Post
Folks:

Let's ask the question - which location will draw the most participants, in the most comfort, and have the most non - Fiero attendees.

Hawaii?

Redding?

Santa Cruz Mountains?

Tehachapi?

Tehachapi:
- Is at 4,000 feet and very pleasant in the summer
- Is scenic and has some excellent curvy roads all over the place for an outing
- Has several places for the car show
- Has an active hotroding, car show population and would probably have lots of non Fiero attendees
- Has nice moderately priced hotels (negotiated rates probably less than $75)
- Has a lot of Fiero owners in the area
- Is the home of West Coast Fiero

Tehachapi is:
- 447 miles from Phoenix
- 325 miles from San Francisco
- 246 miles from Las Vegas
- 232 miles from San Diego
- 157 miles from Orange County
- 136 miles from Riverside
- 115 miles from Los Angeles
- 40 miles from Bakersfield

WCF and I can help with the arrangements.

Give it a thought and some consideration.

Regards,

David
IP: Logged
Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
I guess if you go back enough years any place can be West. Just a few hundred years ago the beaches at Plymouth were the West in the US.

I'm just teasing too, Christine. But some of these folks are getting way too serious here. I mean telling the guy who works his @$$ off to put the show together that if he doesn't have the show outside of California that he can't call it WestFest anymore? That's a little much don't you think? It don't get any more West than CA without leaving the Continental US. And trust me, this is not because I am a fan of California. I am really not. I just happen to live here right now. John can call the show anything he wants and have it anywhere he wants. People can come and have fun or they can stay home. If John decides to have WestFest in Vegas this year I will most likely come. If he decides to have it somewhere in CA again, I will most likely come. Either way it is his choice. Looks like there are enough people in Vegas interested in a show that if WestFest is not there, they can put on a show of their own... and probably lots of us from CA will come.
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
*sigh*

OK, let me get you folks up to speed on stuff.

"Westfest has never been outside Cali" - we took over the abandoned FOCOA show in 2003. We got 20 cars, the lowest attendance of any show. A previous show, put on by Bill Prince back in, I think, 1999 in April, drew around 25 cars. Vegas shows have been the lowest attendance. Both shows had DELUGE rain, the earlier one DURING the show. I like to go places with zero chances for rain, or very hot temps.Vegas is a crap shoot (no pun intended) for weather. Could be monsoon rain, could be 116 degrees. Too unpredictable.

We like to alternate the shows between north and south every other year. Here is what we've done so far:

2000 San Diego - south
2001 San Leandro (bay area) - north
2002 Truckee - north
2003 Vegas - south
2004 San Simeon - south
2005 Truckee - north
2006 San Diego - south
2007 Monterey bay - north
2008 Solvang - south
2009 - ? Santa Cruz Mountains - north
2010 - ? Big Bear - south (OK, maybe Vegas, but I've been promising a Big Bear show to Duane Rodman for years!)

That gives north and south people a fair shot at a closer show every other year. Why not Redding or Vegas? We try to make the shows closer to where the larger clubs are, because it means better attendance. You folks have no idea how tight the budget is on these shows. If we want to keep printing T-shirts, having trophies, and dash plaques, we have to hit break-even or better. Otherwise, the show loses money and it's only a matter of time before it's over. Man, if you guys only knew the rabbits we've had to pull out of hats to make these shows self-supporting! Literally, we're BARELY making it. Last summer, during the height of the gas price spike, we *just* broke even. We only had 24 registered cars, the lowest since 2003 in Vegas. If gas prices stay down, I hope attendance will be better this year.

Right now, the largest and most active club is Golden Gate. The Sacramento and Valley club have been showing up in pretty good numbers, too. The Monterey show had the highest attendance for the banquet - 73 - in all the years of Westfest. Car registration was solid. The southern shows do OK, but not quite as good as northern shows. The odd thing is that Truckee shows kicked butt, and it's farther north than I'd think the socal, Vegas and Arizona people would like to travel. We won't be doing shows there any more. They built condos behind the Best Western, and the scenery isn't so great any more at the showfield. Plus, it's just way far north for the socal and Vegas folks.

Don't get me wrong on Vegas - I like going there, but it's a LONG drive for the majority of potential attendees, and the weather is always a question mark.

I hope this answers your questions.

[This message has been edited by fierobear (edited 02-18-2009).]

85GT3.4Track4spdCar

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-18-2009 03:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85GT3.4Track4spdCarSend a Private Message to 85GT3.4Track4spdCarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by D2inDFW:

Folks:

Let's ask the question - which location will draw the most participants, in the most comfort, and have the most non - Fiero attendees.

Hawaii?

Redding?

Santa Cruz Mountains?

Tehachapi?

Tehachapi:
- Is at 4,000 feet and very pleasant in the summer
- Is scenic and has some excellent curvy roads all over the place for an outing
- Has several places for the car show
- Has an active hotroding, car show population and would probably have lots of non Fiero attendees
- Has nice moderately priced hotels (negotiated rates probably less than $75)
- Has a lot of Fiero owners in the area
- Is the home of West Coast Fiero

Tehachapi is:
- 447 miles from Phoenix
- 325 miles from San Francisco
- 246 miles from Las Vegas
- 232 miles from San Diego
- 157 miles from Orange County
- 136 miles from Riverside
- 115 miles from Los Angeles
- 40 miles from Bakersfield

WCF and I can help with the arrangements.

Give it a thought and some consideration.

Regards,

David

Ta-HATCH-a-PEE is cool....

!BUT NOT AS COOL AS 'VEGAS, BABY!

(Plus, I see YOU live in Ta-HATCH-a-PEE).

I live in Nevada,
We enjoy;
Legalized Prostitution,
24/7 Alcohol sales,
(walk down the sidewalk, legally, with a drink in you hand!).
Gamble your life away, or go home a Millionaire!!!
(You're mileage may differ).
CHEAP room rates, right now.
UNLIMITED other things to do like...
24/7 Food, Gaming, Drink & Night Life...

PLUS, It's ONLY 246 miles from Ta-HATCH-a-PEE !
(*That name alone would look goofy on a T-Shirt!).
Get out and see the world,
If you're afraid your Fiero can't make the trip, then trailer it!
(**We'll be the rowdy bunch at the bar when you arrive).

If not too many cheap-skates, we might even book SPRING MOUNTAIN MOTORSPORTS RANCH.
(But expect to pay).
120~150 MPH allowed, but you have to pay for the emergency personnel for on-site attendance + track time.
(NOT cheap).

Boobs, booze, gambling & speed sound 'funner than...
Ta-HATCH-a-PEE!

(My sincerest apologies to your Chamber of Commerce).
((No, I really mean it, tell them I'm sorry)).

And if that argument doesn't win it, I'll trailer my Fiero to Tehachapi.

Deal?
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 03:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post
I'll go for the big bear area idea also! Cool drive up the mountain! Nice scenery.... not too hot
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 03:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post

unboundmo

2242 posts
Member since Sep 2006
Places close early I think. but maybe that's a good thing driving back home DOWN the mountain.

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 02-18-2009).]

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by unboundmo:

Places close early I think. but maybe that's a good thing driving back home DOWN the mountain.

Close? places don't close in Vegas, in 2006 San Diego we got there at midnight and could NOT buy beer, what a crock coming from NV

Everyone I asked who came to Vegas fest all said it was a blast.
And many people did not show up as Phil had on the FOCOA site the show was cancelled, even while he was at the show the site still said cancelled. So it is hard to say it was slow because it was Vegas. That show bearly (<--ha ha, pun) came together, thanks again Bear.

And I KNOW the pics from that show top the others, not the ones posted on here anyway.

Since the show was here, the club here has added 100+ members

I could list all the great things Vegas has to do but I would be typing all night.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
Las Vegas Fiero Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

D2inDFW

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for D2inDFWClick Here to visit D2inDFW's HomePageSend a Private Message to D2inDFWDirect Link to This Post
Folks:

Respectfully, the travel time, car preparation time, show time severely crimps most folks ability to partake of the vices of a place like Vegas, if they indeed wish to partake thereof.

From my limited knowledge of the event, many people just spend one night and often double up to keep the cost low. Westfest is, I think, a family event, for many.

Also, when the event was last in Vegas, we were all six years younger and the cars were six years newer. Weather is more important to many now, than then.

It is all about the cars, after all.

So, I say no deal!

Regards,

David
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by D2inDFW:

Also, when the event was last in Vegas, we were all six years younger and the cars were six years newer. Weather is more important to many now, than then.

David

That is starting to be an issue for people - the age of the car, and not wanting to drive it really long distances.

I had hoped, after all these years of marketing, getting people's addresses and emails, that we'd be able to *increase* attendance, but it seems we're barely holding the same number of cars (or a slight decline) with new people showing up, but old friends dropping out. It's really been a struggle to keep this show going. We keep having to cut back on trophy classes, not only because there are fewer cars to classify, but because of the lowering amount of money to pay for them. We have to put the show in an area that's as central to the core of our attendees (bay area, sacramento, valley/modesto/merced, and LA) to ensure we get enough folks to sign up to make the show pay it's own way.

D2inDFW

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for D2inDFWClick Here to visit D2inDFW's HomePageSend a Private Message to D2inDFWDirect Link to This Post
Yep!

I will be there wherever it is held and we will try to get a good showing from Fieroswest.org.

Hopefully the economy won't hurt attendance too much.

Regards,

David
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
The obvious thing here is that the Vegas club, with their new 100 members since the last show there, should just put on a show in Vegas.

Organizing one of these events is a lot of work! If you want a show in Vegas, go for it. Why is it so important that WestFest is there? You've apparently got a huge club. I put on the Coast Run every year with no club support and it is a success.Just do it.
PFF
System Bot
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Songman:

The obvious thing here is that the Vegas club, with their new 100 members since the last show there, should just put on a show in Vegas.

Organizing one of these events is a lot of work! If you want a show in Vegas, go for it. Why is it so important that WestFest is there? You've apparently got a huge club. I put on the Coast Run every year with no club support and it is a success.Just do it.

I like this idea. If it is considered, please do us Fiero owners a favor, do not try to compete with other Fiero events. Some may want to be at several shows, drives and get togethers each year.

------------------

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post
After thinking about it... Big Bear sounds really good to me ... along with Vegas.... Either Or
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Songman:

Ya know, I was thinking about this today, and I got an idea. How about we make a roving "Fiero Road Trip!" event that's not a show, just a get together, and not too close on the calendar to either Westfest (almost always the last weekend in June) and the Coast Run (always in late October)? We've done a few things like this before. Remember how much fun the Palm Springs Run was, which we did twice (in January, when the weather is sh*tty here, but great there)? Why not a Vegas Run at an off-time, but when Vegas weather is OK? Maybe in April?

So Vegas folks, let's talk about this, coordinate schedules and ideas, and make the first annual get together the "Fiero Road Trip...VEGAS!!!"
D2inDFW

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for D2inDFWClick Here to visit D2inDFW's HomePageSend a Private Message to D2inDFWDirect Link to This Post
The run is a great idea and since it has to start somewhere why not start in Ta-HATCH-a-PEE?
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

Ya know, I was thinking about this today, and I got an idea. How about we make a roving "Fiero Road Trip!" event that's not a show, just a get together, and not too close on the calendar to either Westfest (almost always the last weekend in June) and the Coast Run (always in late October)? We've done a few things like this before. Remember how much fun the Palm Springs Run was, which we did twice (in January, when the weather is sh*tty here, but great there)? Why not a Vegas Run at an off-time, but when Vegas weather is OK? Maybe in April?

So Vegas folks, let's talk about this, coordinate schedules and ideas, and make the first annual get together the "Fiero Road Trip...VEGAS!!!"

I like

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2009 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpDirect Link to This Post
if you guys do a show on the central coast Paso robles to santa maria. I will provide a navigational rally for the show.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2009 03:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
Things are shaping up for a Santa Cruz Mountain show. We did our scouting trip today, and the place that is our first choice is looking pretty good. We have a bunch of details to go over, but as soon as there is news to report, I'll post it.

The dates for our first choice location would be in July, either 10-12, 17-19, or 24-26. Any preferences on dates?
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2009 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
Fierobear,
I like the Santa Cruz idea! The Fiero-istas down south should like your decision as well, it is a beautiful place in this world. I forsee a good turnout. Now, for those Fiero guys down south, how about a seperate event for Vegas? Perhaps some of us northern guys would not mind attending that venue as well. Two is better than one Can some dates be discussed, perhaps in September? Just my thoughts...

Cordially,
Kevin
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2009 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post
Santa cruz sounds nice... I guess.... It's only a 6 hour drive... Let us know when you have things closer with dates so I can take off work.

Fieroswest---- You out there?--- a definite caravan for this one. Don't you think?

-------------

Vegas in August IS the hottest month I think. Maybe it'll cool down in September.

SILVERMIST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2009 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SILVERMISTSend a Private Message to SILVERMISTDirect Link to This Post
Any of those July dates work for me.That makes three shows in two months.Westfest,Hollister and Pacific Grove.Nothing in June however.
PFF
System Bot
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2009 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kevin:

Fierobear,
I like the Santa Cruz idea! The Fiero-istas down south should like your decision as well, it is a beautiful place in this world. I forsee a good turnout. Now, for those Fiero guys down south, how about a seperate event for Vegas? Perhaps some of us northern guys would not mind attending that venue as well. Two is better than one Can some dates be discussed, perhaps in September? Just my thoughts...

Cordially,
Kevin

Don't make it too close to the Coast Run in October. We don't want people to be having to choose which event they can afford to go to.

SILVERMIST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2009 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SILVERMISTSend a Private Message to SILVERMISTDirect Link to This Post
Not a problem! COAST RUN ROCKS!
Christine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2009 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChristineSend a Private Message to ChristineDirect Link to This Post
If the person organizing the event is in CA and does all the work then they should have it where they want.
If people want a Vegas show why don't they just have a Vegas show of their own? I do not see why you could not have both just have them in different months so all that wanted to go could go.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2009 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Christine:

If the person organizing the event is in CA and does all the work then they should have it where they want.
If people want a Vegas show why don't they just have a Vegas show of their own? I do not see why you could not have both just have them in different months so all that wanted to go could go.

Works for me. I'd do anything I could to help. I would just ask that the other show not be too close to ours on the calendar so people can get time off and afford both.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2009 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
New Westfest thread posted in the "events" section.
SILVERMIST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2009 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SILVERMISTSend a Private Message to SILVERMISTDirect Link to This Post
WOW!!

Westfest has been held in some beautiful settings before,but this may be the best one yet.I'll be making my reservations tomorrow.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock