Started on: 06-19-2006 10:19 AM
Replies: 93
Last post by: Amida on 09-22-2008 01:36 AM
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2006 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
If you want totally custom, here is a link to an Alpine project car to give you an idea on what's required: http://iweb.alpine-usa.com/html/adc/adc_install5.html?par=p14c5

Bob
IP: Logged
Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2006 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post
That mini is off da hook!
Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2006 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Unsafe At Any Speed:

What I'm asking is what is displayed in the green area when the unit is on and working.

Wow, I lost track of this thread, sorry guys!! To start off with the question above: Nothing right now! Doh... The one in the picture is of a dot-matrix LCD screen, that currently is not functional. Right now it's only being used as a backlight, and to get the "LCD screen color". Over the top of that I put an OEM-replica overlay that makes it look like an OEM LCD screen:
The dot-matrix screen really doesn't have good resolution to try and get decent graphics going like the real ones. I've talked with a company about making some real LCD screens, but for now it's just the "fake" option...

Riceburner, how hard would it be to mount the Diablo panel into the space where the stock fiero heater - A/C panel is ? Is the Diablo panel now fully functional and pretty much "plug n play" with the stock fiero wiring ?

It's a good bit bigger than the stock Fiero HVAC opening... I did design a smaller one that will pop right in place of the Fiero control and look good through the hole, but haven't had a chance to machine for real, just a scrap piece of plastic to see if it would come out the right size.. The Diablo and 355 control both use the same control box circuitry, and they are plug and play with the Fiero's HVAC harness.

Riceburner:
By the way, have you ever considered putting together a pushbutton selector for the automatic transmission that would eliminate the shifter altogether ?

That crossed my mind once for a manual shifter actually, but never really though of how to do it. They used to have that on a really old 'wagon if I remember right, I'm not sure it would look good though.. I guess you could hook it up to paddles and call it a "paddle shifter".. It's possible but not sure it's practical $$ wise...

RiceBurner >> how about a Firebird control panel??

The control box setup would work with a Firebird control panel, but I think Jscott has something in the works that will still be plug-and-play, and end up cheaper than microprocessor control......

Whew! Sorry I didn't come and check back on the thread, wasn't ignoring anyone or anything... LOL I've been working non-stop on the interface board to make the OEM Diablo controller work with the Fiero and Vintage Air heater boxes, I'm 99.9% done and hope to ship the first one of those tomorrow. It basically replaces the Diablo controller circuitry inside the box, and makes it fully functional, including the outside temperature sensor. Unfortunately I don't have the time right now to make it do "fully-automatic" mode, but that's a possibility for the future.. I still do the 355 panels, but just been so busy with the Diablo stuff it kind of went on "simmer" on the back burner for a while. I hope to get back to them soon, as I have a few people currently waiting for them... I have a temporary website up at http://www.freewebs.com/riceburner98/index.htm with some info and more pictures of the panels I'm working on... Hopefully the 355 one does Rob's interior justice, that thing is INCREDIBLE looking! I'd swear it was OEM Ferrari...

------------------
Bob Williams
Working on the next 3800 swap.. Missing the one that worked!

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2007 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post
Re: Hvac panels. Are their any 3 dial panels that are plug 'n play, or require minimal modification to work in the Fiero? Just collecting some ideas for a new dash design. Rob
pavo_roddy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2007 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:

I had to figure out a way; It's a tight fit but it works. Full motion from Park to 1st gear. That's a 'manual look' stick from Rodney Dickman.

Rob
Fiero Interior Conversions
Seattle, WA. USA

HI all,

Amida, the shifter in the above pics, is that setup for the 3 speed auto or a custom installed 4speed auto??

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen....

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2007 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post
That's the stock Fiero auto shifter with a Rodney stick.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2007 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Re: Hvac panels. Are their any 3 dial panels that are plug 'n play, or require minimal modification to work in the Fiero? Just collecting some ideas for a new dash design. Rob

It's true I'm working on a 3 dial firebird panel that would be plug and play for Fieros with Air conditioning. It would not require a microprocessor, but the only switch I've been able to find that would work without modification is a Mil-spec switch that's not cheap. But I still think I can build it for a reasonable price. I just need time to build the prototype.
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2007 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post
Is that panel from the last gen Firebird? Got a pic that you can post?
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2007 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Is that panel from the last gen Firebird? Got a pic that you can post?

Yes it would look like this panel, (ignore the radio)

except the firebird panel uses vacuum for the mode control and a cable for temperature control.

I would modify it to have an electrical switch for mode control, that would plug and play into the Fiero connector, and an actuator that would connect to the Fiero temperature control cable.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 01-27-2007).]

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post
I've forgotten what car this instrument panel came out of. Anyone know? who's Fiero is that installed in? Thanks.

tmur115

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2008 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tmur115Send a Private Message to tmur115Direct Link to This Post
its a caviler dash. ig88vsbobafett did a great writeup on it. its an easy upgrade (except icant get the tach to work)

heres the link

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/058885.html

=todd=
PFF
System Bot
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tmur115:

its a caviler dash. ig88vsbobafett did a great writeup on it. its an easy upgrade (except icant get the tach to work)

heres the link

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/058885.html

=todd=

Thanks!
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2008 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Just a bump and a question. What is being used for HVAC controls for those center consoles without Riceburners HVAC controls? All I see there is an ashtray.
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2008 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post
If Riceburner98's controller is not used the stock Fiero HVAC controller is hidden either under dash or in the passenger side compartment.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock