Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  SURVEY! Complete LED Intrumentation- Pick a color (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
SURVEY! Complete LED Intrumentation- Pick a color by Emc209i
Started on: 04-24-2008 08:14 AM
Replies: 49
Last post by: Emc209i on 07-18-2008 06:02 AM
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2008 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
i got the idea from searching into a build on hidplanet.com

the best thing to do is this:

[quote="azdave"]I thought I should bring this thread up one more time in what will probably be my final update and comments to this project. One more bump for old time’s sake you know. I also have an updated video link with all the features shown.

Video
Right click "Save as" please
http://www.rcaz.com/movieclips/eclipse2.1.mpg

The latest addition to the project was the installation of my final version of the taillight monitoring circuit inside the dashboard. When the retrofit first saw the streets I had temporarily installed 22 red SMT LEDs simply mounted to the steering column with double-sided tape. This way I could see what the lights were (or weren’t) doing on the rear of the car. It was mostly another “show off�? modification to the project but in truth, since all the “bulb-out�? indicators have now been by-passed, the extra display does serve a safety function by knowing if my lights are working during daily driving.

I had the occasion to update the monitoring LEDs since I also recently converted to a full LED dash. There are about 100 LEDs inside the main gauge housing so it is plenty bright and evenly lit. There are another 100 or so in all the controls and various switches around the interior. While I was inside the gauge housing I completely removed the factory turn signal indicators and replaced them with 22 rectangular green LEDs so as to mimic the rear light arrays. I now have my full “taillight show�? also displayed in and arc of green LEDs up above my gauges.

I’ve had the LED taillight system installed for over a year now and it has survived two Arizona summers without a single LED failure (I had one loose ground wire in a single array that was quickly fixed). Other than that the LED retrofit has been a resounding success and when they ask I’m proud to tell people you can’t buy this in any store. It’s all custom built and not for sale.

I also want to note here that of the dozens of Eclipse owners that contacted me to say they were also doing a conversion like this and only fellow HIDPlanet member “ez�? had the determination to pull it off. His conversion has several upgrades based upon my original design. Congrats to EZ for successful completion of his 99 Eclipse project.

Here are some final pics to add to the thread.

LED gauges with new taillight monitor LEDs across the top. Each gauge needle is lit with four 1206 white SMT LED rings.

My overkill approach to bright, uniform, LED lighting that can be seen even in bright sunshine. Dimmable by PWM of course.

SMT LEDS ready for install under the needles. Custom-built boards of course.

The End.
[/quote]
IP: Logged
Emc209i

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post07-04-2008 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JimmyS:

Whats the status on this? I'm still very interested.

Check the mall. I need needles and am having a hard time coming across any. I'll have finished pictures as soon as I get those squared away.
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-04-2008 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Emc209i

3091 posts
Member since Apr 2005

Originally posted by Fiero_Fan_88:

If its in the lower $100s like you said sign me up for a blue pair

The price will be lower $100.00, I'm sure of it. Please wait a bit longer, I'll be taking orders very soon.
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-04-2008 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Emc209i

3091 posts
Member since Apr 2005

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

Thanks for posting all of this. This was one of the sites I originally got the idea from. While the concept is the same, Fieros require 3x, 4x, 5x the ingenuity due to how much is packed into the smaller cluster. You can't just string LED strips behind the face plates; to many space constrictions, the light is channeled or emitted via a smaller diode. That would have been nice though.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2008 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
i havent taken my cluster apart yet. ill find one at the junkyard that is already messed up to mess up more. that way i can see how to overcome that small area. im thinking some SMT's directly behind the gauge face would be great. that would allow all of the light being emmited to backlight the face evenly. im sure you can get a bag of like a million SMT's off ebay from like china or some crap.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2008 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

i havent taken my cluster apart yet. ill find one at the junkyard that is already messed up to mess up more. that way i can see how to overcome that small area.

I applaud your ingenuity...but having taken apart many, many clusters, and built many many gauge cluster harnesses, I suggest you get a working product before actually offering it for sale.

First, there are always going to be 10 times as many tire kickers as buyers, so you might not have the demand you anticipate.

Second, there are many many nuances to these clusters that you will run into. Most everyone you talk to is running some custom swap and each one you build will have to be tailored to that, ("I'm running a SBC with an auto and no ECM, will this work?" for example).

Third, you are going to need lots of clusters to modify, unless you intend to take in someone's cluster, modify it and then send it back. A GT cluster averages about $50 in the mall so you are going to have to put up some cash to get started on this. I have a whole roomfull of these clusters and I may have some parts you need, so maybe I can help.

Lastly, do not let this discourage you, because we need people thinking outside the box and offering products for the Fiero. But I always am cautious when I see a concept and people are ready to take orders based on a concept. The devil is always in the details, so be careful. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 07-04-2008).]

Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-04-2008 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Scott!

1st. I've been very upset about not having the prototype ready to date. I'd hoped that this thread would die away actually, because I don't feel right about hyping people about something that doesn't exist yet. I'm almost there! In fact, I'll have the have results as soon as these needles come in and my last order of SMTs (really horrible shipping story).

2nd. I'm only planning on working with the stock gauges. If someones using something custom, they either have the stock gauge working, or they are using something after market (which I'm not going to mess with because I've spent a HUGE amount of time tearing the stock sets down to make sure I can do everything very very well. I don't have time to mess with anything else.) This will work with the stock face plates period, signal input et cetera has no bearing on what I can do for the backlit gauges.

3rd. I'll let the buyers worry about getting me a spare or dealing with not having there's for a week or two. Plenty of spares out there, and many many cars that aren't running at the moment due to swaps et cetera. I also have over $150 in this so far!!! I'm not kicking anything, I'm IN this.

I understand discretion, and for that matter I'd like to suggest what I feel should be done; everyone forget about this project until you see the first unit finished in the mall. I've already collected a billion before videos and images for comparison. I am in no ways discouraged either, I've been getting fan mail about this for some time, so I've got an audience to please.

This is going to happen, and before I can even begin marketing, I need to have bookkeeping measures in order to prevent a FIERO badge repeat. I'm a perfectionist and am not going to be ready until every thing's to a science. Thanks guys.

-Paul Haskins
Emc209i
------------------

_______________1988 Pontiac Fiero: Formula/GT - 3.4 DOHC - 5 Speed_______________

[This message has been edited by Emc209i (edited 07-04-2008).]

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2008 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I applaud your ingenuity...but having taken apart many, many clusters, and built many many gauge cluster harnesses, I suggest you get a working product before actually offering it for sale.

First, there are always going to be 10 times as many tire kickers as buyers, so you might not have the demand you anticipate.

Second, there are many many nuances to these clusters that you will run into. Most everyone you talk to is running some custom swap and each one you build will have to be tailored to that, ("I'm running a SBC with an auto and no ECM, will this work?" for example).

Third, you are going to need lots of clusters to modify, unless you intend to take in someone's cluster, modify it and then send it back. A GT cluster averages about $50 in the mall so you are going to have to put up some cash to get started on this. I have a whole roomfull of these clusters and I may have some parts you need, so maybe I can help.

Lastly, do not let this discourage you, because we need people thinking outside the box and offering products for the Fiero. But I always am cautious when I see a concept and people are ready to take orders based on a concept. The devil is always in the details, so be careful. Good luck.

i wasnt thinking of making some to sell. i know getting ahold of these clusters is not easy. and then taking the risk of someone's cluster to that car breaking, the trip and odo becoming incorrect is something i dont want to risk. i was just throwing that idea out to be used. its not like i am going to try and copyright the idea. and besides, i dont have the time to do such thing or the money to gather the parts.
kevin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2008 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
RED!!

Cordially,
Kevin
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-18-2008 06:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock