SAVING a MERA from OBLIVIAN by Barkaroo
Started on: 01-26-2008 10:56 PM
Replies: 51
Last post by: RTNmsds on 05-24-2008 01:07 AM
Barkaroo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2008 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BarkarooSend a Private Message to BarkarooDirect Link to This Post
I’ve wanted, for sometime now, to spend some time and organize my photos that tell the story of the restoration of my latest car project from start to finish. Now that we are in the dead of winter and it is too cold to either work on my cars or even work on my basement project, I figured I would finally start to post my pictures from start to finish.

Over the next few weeks I will be posting my photos of the restoration of my 1988 Pontiac MERA which started with finding the car for sale on the internet in January 2007. I found it in Richmond VA and learned that the original owner had only logged 75,000 miles on it, which was the good news. The bad news was that the car had never seen the inside of a garage and it had not been driven in many years. After many telephone calls, photos and discussions over the phone, I agreed to fly up from Atlanta to Richmond and buy the car. It would not run so I had to rent a U-haul to get her to Georgia.

So to get things started… Here is the original ad and some of the photos sent to me before I bought the car.

Enjoy! -Alan

Jan 07 Photos

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by Barkaroo (edited 01-26-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
SAFASTRO

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2008 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SAFASTROClick Here to visit SAFASTRO's HomePageSend a Private Message to SAFASTRODirect Link to This Post
Lookin forward to seeing this transformation.......
don't hold back, get them pictures goin'!

------------------
Order your Official Pennock's Forum decals in this thread. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/040445.html

2" Choptop
Shortened Front Bumper
Shortened Rear Bumper
10" Stretch
Dubs
350 V8 Conversion

Barkaroo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2008 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BarkarooSend a Private Message to BarkarooDirect Link to This Post
Your wish is my command....

Feb 07 Photos.

The Mera Comes to Georgia.

[This message has been edited by Barkaroo (edited 01-26-2008).]

craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
Too cold, I would like it down there, its too cold here. Thats a nice Mera, very much worth a good restoration, can't wait until the end result.
Julian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JulianSend a Private Message to JulianDirect Link to This Post
Alan,

Awsome find. The car looks to be an awsome project. Too bad about that center console. So tell us what your intentions are? V8? Ferrari badges? Dickman front bumper? Back to Mera specs? Mr. Mikes interior? What's it look like after you knock off those wheel caps?

Mine wasn't that rough when I got her in 2000 but it doesn't look like a difficult restoration. Can you send me a PM telling me what you bought it for? I been researching what used Meras go for...... I seen them range from 8k to 20k

------------------
Julian - MERA #8071

Barkaroo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BarkarooSend a Private Message to BarkarooDirect Link to This Post
It will end up with Ferrari badges and new front bumper, Mr Mike's seats and a Pisa dash. I'll keep it V6.
brandon87gt

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brandon87gtSend a Private Message to brandon87gtDirect Link to This Post
Nice looking car! Doesn't look like it will take TOO much work to get it looking great. Looking forward to seeing more pictures!
Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for saving a Fiero and not crushing one.

Edit: that sounded cruel. (oblivion)

[This message has been edited by Mr.PBody (edited 01-27-2008).]

Rodney

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Barkaroo:

It will end up with Ferrari badges and new front bumper, Mr Mike's seats and a Pisa dash. I'll keep it V6.

Only a few original unmodified Mera's exist today. Most have been modified. Mine has been modified also. One day the few originals will be worth much more than the modified ones. Then you will see some people trying to take them back to original.

Rodney Dickman
Mera Registry
racer37

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racer37Send a Private Message to racer37Direct Link to This Post
I saw this car in person today. All I can is SSSSSSSWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Barkaroo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2008 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BarkarooSend a Private Message to BarkarooDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the great comments everyone. I am glad you are enjoying the show!

March 07 Photos

Next for the MERA was a trip to an expert. Ashby was the man whom I could depend on to get the MERA back up and running. He did a fantastic job with the engine. The hardest part he said was removing the sparkplugs, which had rusted so badly they had rounded themselves off. (A problem I am sure many of you know far too well.) Ashby also restored the center consol back to something a little more stock and also switched out my pop-up sunroof for a GTB hardtop. Ashby laughed and said he had installed dozens of sunroofs, but he had never taken one out before. He again did a fantastic job and finished up with installing a new headliner as well as installing new headlight motors.

Thanks again Ashby for all your skill and hard work! -Alan

[This message has been edited by Barkaroo (edited 01-29-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
Barkaroo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2008 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BarkarooSend a Private Message to BarkarooDirect Link to This Post

Barkaroo

100 posts
Member since Apr 2007
April 07 Photos

Home again! The MERA gets some prep work before going to the paint shop.

Since I was going to badge the car Ferrari I wanted to research the placement of those items including the placement of the side marker lights. What better place to research a 308 than a Ferrari Car Show!

I befriended one of the 308 owners at this show who gave me the grand tour and allowed me to study his car in great detail. I took photos and measurements and transferred them to the MERA with great care. It was amazing how close the dimensions were between the MERA to the 308. Once I had marked and pre drilled all my holes she was ready for the next step.

Next I pre fitted my new 308 style front bumper that I bought from Rodney Dickman and then pre wired all my new lights.

Next stop… The paint shop.

[This message has been edited by Barkaroo (edited 01-28-2008).]

Barkaroo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2008 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BarkarooSend a Private Message to BarkarooDirect Link to This Post
May 07 Photos
At the paint shop the MERA is partially disassembled. The front and rear hoods, bumpers, headlight covers as well as the sail is removed sanded and primed. The photos do not show the level of detail work performed to bring the car back to life but it was extensive.

Finally the MERA was ready for me to pick up and take home.
The shop owner stands with his work.

Hey BL… I think I’ve seen this pose before!!

I had BL paint all the black parts using a semi gloss black which included the bumpers. Oops! In this photo if you look close you can see that he had reinstalled the front bumper upside down.

Next Step… Hooking up the turn signals and side marker lights.

[This message has been edited by Barkaroo (edited 01-30-2008).]

88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2008 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
This is awesome, keep the pictures coming, everything looks like eye candy LOL
Julian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2008 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JulianSend a Private Message to JulianDirect Link to This Post
OK, I got to ask.....where did you relocate your reverse lights to?

Here is a general MERA trivia question..... does anyone know what Ford model & year the Mera reverse lights came from?

------------------
Julian - MERA #8071

88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2008 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Julian:

Here is a general MERA trivia question..... does anyone know what Ford model & year the Mera reverse lights came from?

1. 1942-66 Ford Truck ???
2. 1949-51 Ford Station Wagon ???
3. 1933-36 Ford Pass ????

Barkaroo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2008 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BarkarooSend a Private Message to BarkarooDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Julian:

Patience young grasshopper. Answers you will find, soon enough.

[This message has been edited by Barkaroo (edited 01-30-2008).]

craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2008 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
Your Mera is coming along very nicely. It will be a show piece in no time.
RTNmsds

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2008 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RTNmsdsClick Here to visit RTNmsds's HomePageSend a Private Message to RTNmsdsDirect Link to This Post
Looking very good !!
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2008 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Looking like the real thing, looks great!
Julian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2008 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JulianSend a Private Message to JulianDirect Link to This Post
Snatch the pebble from your hand I will BuckarooSON!

------------------
Julian - MERA #8071

PFF
System Bot
Barkaroo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2008 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BarkarooSend a Private Message to BarkarooDirect Link to This Post
After researching the placement of the Ferrari badges, a trip to T. Rutland’s in Tucker, Georgia was in order. Rutland’s is one of the largest Ferrari parts supply company in the US. They not only sell new parts but they have a massive supply of used parts as well. All of their used parts are ½ the cost of new ones so it was an easy decision to choose the latter. It was also kind of nice to know that the badges and side marker lights had some history having come from real 308’s. I had so much fun rooting around in their warehouse that when I came home I showed my wife my dirty hands and said, “Look! Ferrari grease!”

As for the question regarding the relocation of my backup lights, the answer is below the bumper. Research on the subject told me that Ferrari had them inside the bumpers on their earlier models of the 308 before they moved them to the centers of the brake lights. Those brake light assemblies are so expensive that I opted to create my own solution to this problem. I had also noticed on European 308’s that sometimes there were additional parking lights located below the rear bumper so it was not like I was placing lights were none had been before. With that in mind and the use of some “creative license”, I constructed some new backup lights starting from the overhead lights sometimes found in GM trucks. Painting them black and constructing a mounting bracket, they are simply mounted through 2 small holes drilled below the bumper, holes that can easily be filled if the car was ever returned to stock condition.

A real 1970’s Ferrari 308 (Fiberglass) with "square" style backup lights in the bumper.

[This message has been edited by Barkaroo (edited 02-04-2008).]

Barkaroo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2008 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BarkarooSend a Private Message to BarkarooDirect Link to This Post
Tires were next.

The MERA still had its original size tires that were badly dry-rotted. The MERA ran 245/50/15 in the front and 265/50/15 in the rear. Those sizes are just about impossible to find in a single set these days. After doing some research and reading up on the newsletters that Rodney Dickman had produced, I was able to settle on a set of BF Goodrich tires from NTB, 245/60/15 front and 255/60/15 rear. The new taller tires fill the wheel-wells nicely and look more correct for the car. No lowering needed, no tire rub and the ride is nice and smooth.

[This message has been edited by Barkaroo (edited 02-07-2008).]

Barkaroo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BarkarooSend a Private Message to BarkarooDirect Link to This Post
Next on the “To Do” list were the seats. The MERA still had its original seats including the embroidered letters GTS on them. To replace them I went to Mr. Mike’s and ordered the light tan LEATHER-ETTE- #13 for the primary color on “Vetter” style seats. (I wanted real leather but Mr. Mike explained how the light tan was no longer available in leather.) I replaced the GTS logo, (since my car no longer had its pop-up sunroof), with a red prancing horse. The installation was very simple, thanks to Mr. Mike’s video instructions which were included in the kit.

Next up…. The dash.
Barkaroo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BarkarooSend a Private Message to BarkarooDirect Link to This Post

Barkaroo

100 posts
Member since Apr 2007
I wanted to give the interior an up-dated look but I did not want to get in over my head by removing the stock dash and replacing it with a kit. The option I choose was to buy a PISA Artero dash insert. By going with the PISA dash I was able to achieve the new “look” I was going for and still maintain the original dash underneath. Installation was very simple and it was bolted in place after 20 minutes of work. I had the folks at PISA blank out the glove box and I added the GTB logo to give the dash a “factory” look. I also took this opportunity to add a Monsoon radio which I bought on e-bay for $10 and a radio-frequency-receiver to plug in a DVD player or I-pod, which I installed under the new dash.

The MERA already had a Momo steering wheel that the original owner had installed. To give it more of a “Ferrari” look, I removed the center wood trim and polished the chrome underneath. Once that was done, adding the new horn button really set it off.

I am very pleased with how it turned out and how the black colors all tie in with each other. Console to the dash, to the top of the door panels.

Next time… Detailing the engine and trunk

[This message has been edited by Barkaroo (edited 02-08-2008).]

Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Want to sell or give away the seat covers???? (old ones)
Barkaroo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BarkarooSend a Private Message to BarkarooDirect Link to This Post
Would love to but unfortunately they were in very bad shape and got sent to the scrap heap back in August. I thought I was going to have to do the same with the carpet but once I was able to pull it up and got a pressure washer to it, the carpet cleaned right up.
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2008 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
I love what you did with the interior, very impressive. Gives it a more exotic feel and probably has that "New Car Smell".
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2008 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
Wow. Great work. Kudos to you!
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2008 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
call me crazy (but PLEASE don't call me a "californian") but I liked the all brown original one better .....
Julian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2008 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JulianSend a Private Message to JulianDirect Link to This Post
Great job Buckaroo.
I like the reverse light idea. Never saw that before. I was going to fill those slots with a carbonfiber insert.
I also like the dash overlay.
But most of all I realy like the way you explained Rodney's tire size option with side by side pictures. I have to go see if those sizes are still available.

And by the way nice lic. plate. Mine reads the same just the numbers differ to protect the inocent!!!

Engine compartment pics? Or am I ahead of my self?
(Like a kid at Christmas here........more pics)

------------------
Julian - MERA #8071

PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2008 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
OK. It's been something like 16 hours since you posted. Let's get with the program, huh? Here's my opinion even though nobody asked for it (not that this has stopped me before). I like the new seat covers better than the old. The old ones look like they should be in your grandmothers car. I don't like the new PISA dash. It looks added on. If you're going to spend a bunch of money fixing the MERA up, why not go with a pseudo Ferrari dash? Good choice in tire sizes. The side by side (top by top? ) pics really work well. The back up lights idea is a good one although you might want to trim the bezel a bit to fit snugly in the bumper. Damn nice car (from a non Ferrari loving guy ).
Julian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JulianSend a Private Message to JulianDirect Link to This Post
........waiting..............

Just need the pic with a half dressed model on the hood and this thread is nearly done.
........waiting........

------------------
Julian - MERA #8071

Barkaroo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BarkarooSend a Private Message to BarkarooDirect Link to This Post
Sorry. No photos of my car with any hotties yet. Maybe the next time I visit Hooters I can take some to post. (LOL) All I have is a picture of my dog next to it for now. He’s 14 years old and his given name is “Barkley”, but we call him good old “Barkaroo”! Now you know the origin of my internet handle.

He’s a good boy!

There was not a lot done to the engine and trunk compartments except for some pressure washing, a little painting, new trunk liner and vinyl covering on the rear plate thingy.

I did create a new hood prop taken from a Saturn and a holding clip from a Ford Ranger. I also created a plate to cover the Fiero logo on top of the engine and added a couple of small Ferrari logos here and there, one on top of the air filter and one on the brake cylinder.

Just a reminder…. Here is what it used to look like…

…And now!

I was also able to get my hands on a “Ferrari Club of America” sticker for the front windshield that adds a nice subtle touch.

Next time… The MERA goes to its first car show!
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Do shows make a distinction between a Mera and a Ferrari kit car replica? I know the Mera was basically a replica from the beginning, but since you could go buy one from the dealer, much like a Firehawk, I was wondering if shows put them in separate classes.

Beautiful work, btw. The car is stunning!
Julian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JulianSend a Private Message to JulianDirect Link to This Post
I like your side by side before & after pics. Nice touch.
What did you cover the trunk extension with? The aluminum part that covers the til light wiring. It looks real clean. Nice touch.

Ok I have a tech question for you (anyone chime in). My rear deck closes perfect when I leave out the trunk reatherstripping. When I leave it in, the deck lid sits a bit high and you can see it's about a half inch higher than the rear corners. What's the fix? Leaving the weatherstripping off gives me a wet trunk when I wash her.

OK.... now as far as your taste in girls..... we gotta hang out so I can explain.
hmmm 2 Mera's at a Hooters...... You're probably half my age so you're Mera will have the girls. I'll be stuck with the short order cook.....

Well Buckaroo, you gave me a great idea, I'm getting my pictures in order so I can post my restoration one day.

------------------
Julian - MERA #8071

Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Wow it looks awesome, what dash overlay is that?
Fiero-in-Paradise

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-in-ParadiseSend a Private Message to Fiero-in-ParadiseDirect Link to This Post
VERY nice restoration!
1. How did you modify the headlight lids to make them solid closer to the front? My Mera has the slots all the way, your's are much nicer.
2. Are your side mirrors powered? Mine came with Vitaloni, but they're manual. Seems like its impossible to find electric/powered Vitaloni mirrors anymore.
Thanks, and great job!
Julian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2008 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JulianSend a Private Message to JulianDirect Link to This Post
Hey Fiero-in-paradise...... post your MERA pics....... I'd love to see them.

------------------
Julian - MERA #8071

Fiero-in-Paradise

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2008 04:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-in-ParadiseSend a Private Message to Fiero-in-ParadiseDirect Link to This Post
Julian...I'd feel really bad hijacking Alan's great restor thread here, so shoot me an e-mail at:

masashi1955@hawaiiantel.net

and I'll send you some pixs!
Cheers,
Tom
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave