Public Apology by RandomTask
Started on: 01-11-2008 09:41 AM
Replies: 96
Last post by: RandomTask on 05-15-2008 10:42 PM
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2008 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
Sory I just dint know there was a English test. man another F give me some math and a dam engine to work on

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 01-13-2008).]

IP: Logged
Saxman

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2008 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:
Sory I just dint know there was a English test. man another F give me some math and a dam engine to work on

I'll take engine skills over the ablility to write...
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2008 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
Ya i think i can take apart any engine and put it back together just give me the specs
Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 05:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

That's great. But you just admitted to the forum that you're a scammer. On most forums, that would be grounds for an instant ban and a call to the police.

An apology and promises of returning part of the guys money, IMHO, isn't going to cut it. ALLTRBO is a nice guy and probably won't say anything, so I will. I think you should give him the car for free. The alternative ($30,000+ attorney fees, possible jail time and/or fines) would make it worth it on your part. (Somehow I don't think your "carfax friend" is going to mention anything about "deliberate odometer rollback fraud"....) It would make a good lesson, and a good example for any fraudsters thinking of doing the same thing.

It's not so much that I think ALLTRBO deserves a free car, but rather that you deserve more of a punishment. The fact that you did this to another Fiero person ("the family") makes me sick, and quite frankly I'm surprised you're still here.

Good luck anyways,

Ditto. And I think it's a sad fact that we've gotten to a point in our society where it's "admirable" when someone confesses his crime after he's been caught red-handed. I would call that, at best, decent.
fierogirls-mom

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogirls-momSend a Private Message to fierogirls-momDirect Link to This Post
Okay, I'm going to butt my head into this.
I'm going to show you another side of Joe.

A few months ago his girlfriend broke up with him, I won't get into the details, but he was rather devastated.
I could feel the pain that he was feeling so, like I have done with a few people on here, I sent him a card telling him "I cared"

It was just a stupid card, but it meant a lot to him. So, what did he do? Let's put it this way, he wanted to do something nice for me.
With the help of others from the Secret Santa thread, he called my daughter and planned a Secret Santa gift for me. A surprise, for me.
Nobody has ever in their life done that for me. This 23 year old kid, who I only know from this forum, did this for a 45 year old mother/grandmother.
(so it wasn't like he was trying to get into my pants or anything)

So, lapse of judgement on his part, yes.....am I a bit dissapointed in him.....yes. Do I think he will do it again? No, because the kid has a conscience.
A lot of people don't. If he didn't, he wouldn't have confessed it to everyone and opened himself up to the scruitiny.

So, Joe, I know you will get it all taken care of.
Steve, I've never talked to you before, but maybe you could cut him some slack cuz he is a pretty good kid.

Ultimately, it's up to them to come to a conclusion.

Love ya kiddo for what you did for me! And I still care!

Dar
chrisgtp

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chrisgtpSend a Private Message to chrisgtpDirect Link to This Post
that sounds like a nice story but it has nothing to do with this. I don't think there are a lot of people that would have any thing bad to say about him before this happened. I think he will make good on it. I think what every one is stuck on is what will make this good
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
It's Joe's problem to build his reputation back to where it was. I don't know Joe but he's admitted making his "error" in judgement. He's the one that has to suffer the consequences of the action. I'm assuming that no legal action has taken place. As I said before, I don't know if I'd buy a car from Joe but I do know that if he had one for sale that I was interested in, I would check every available source before any money changed hands. Manning up to the problem after being caught is something Joe has to live with. I'm not condemning Joe, but the truth is, he made the problem and he's going to have to be the one that works his way out of it. Manning up was a good first step, making it right with the buyer is a great second step and following up on that with every transaction from this point forward being an honest transaction is the only way out of this mess. I don't feel a need to beat Joe up, he's done a pretty good job of that all by himself. I'm not saying live and let live but Caveat Emptor has always been the way to do business. As this situation plays out, anyone (from this forum) dealing with Joe will be aware of his previous dealings and will move forward based on that. That's the burden Joe hung around his own neck. Let's move on with life.

------------------
Ron

It's the Soldier, not the reporter
Who has given us the freedom of the press.
It's the Soldier, not the poet,
Who has given us the freedom of speech.
It's the Soldier, not the politicians
That ensures our right to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.
It's the Soldier who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag.

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 01-14-2008).]

FierOmar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chrisgtp:

his giveing back 1000 bucks is him getting off on the cheep

Sec. 32709 Penalties and Enforcement
1. Civil Penalty of not more than $2,000 for each violation. The maximum penalty under this subsection for a related series of violations is $100,000.00.
2. Criminal Penalty: A person that knowingly and willfully violates this chapter or a regulation prescribed or order issued under this chapter shall be fined under Title 18; imprisoned for not more than 3 years.

Sec. 32710 Civil Actions by Private Persons
1. Violation and amount of damages - A person that violates this chapter or a regulation prescribed or order issued under this chapter, with the intent to defraud, is liable for 3 times the actual damages or $1,500.00, whichever is greater.
2. Civil Actions: A person may bring a civil action to enforce a claim under this section in an appropriate United States district court or in another court of competent jurisdiction. This action must be brought no later than 2 years after the claim accrues. The court shall award cost and a reasonable attorney's fee to the person when a judgment is entered for that person.

so i think in this 1000 bucks is a good deal its not above and beyond

Are you quoting Missouri law, Virginia law, Maryland law, or Federal law?

------------------
FierOmar

FierOmar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post

FierOmar

1639 posts
Member since Dec 2001

Originally posted by RandomTask:
(On the bright side, $900 for $2k worth of powder coating and $1000 worth of new parts on top of the car isn’t too bad) I will let you know what I have and can do. I have already picked up a second job to expedite the process.

I have perused this thread as well as the related threads, and before commenting, I would like to be sure I have the facts straight.

When Joe (RandomTask) purchased from Tony (multiple user names), it had approxomately 122,000 miles on it.

Due to inadvertence on the part of the VA DMV, he received a title that showed 22,000 miles on it. At some time thereafter, Joe rolled back the odometer to match the DMV mistake.

Joe proceeded to clean up the car including powder coating the suspension. he also removed the engine, trans, and axles from the car.

When Joe decided to sell the car, he listed the car as a low mileage roller, but now admits that he misrepresented the actual mileage. Otherwise, his description of the rolling chassis/parts car appears to be accurate.

Steven (ALLTRBO) expresses interest in the car: In connection with his interest, he stated:

"With all that work and new parts (not counting the separate drivetrain) on top of a low original mileage, and providing the interior is in excellent or near excellent shape as well as the small stuff all in proper working order I would think it'd be in the neighborhood of $3,000+ to a Fiero enthusiast. All it really needs is a drivetrain (yeah, that's all ) and paint, right? With that (no matter which engine or trans) it could be one of the nicest GT's around."

Although it appears that part of Steven's decision to purchase was based on the condidtion of the car, he also relied on the representation that the chassis had low miles, despite some outward indication that the mileage was incorrect.
(IMHO, the picture of the odometer evidences some tampering, but Steven may not have caught that.)

Steven paid $800 (maybe as much as $1,800... or more, but this is one of those uncertain facts). Sale actually takes place in Virginia (but maybe in MD).

Later on Steven starts to question the mileage, and Joe's misrepresentation regarding the mileage has been exposed.

Joe agrees to pay Steven $1000 to resolve the matter.

Saxman offers Steven $800 for the car, purportedly to make Joe whole.

I am still a little confused as to the sale price between Joe and Steven, but otherwise, do I have all the facts straignt? Joe? Steven?

------------------
FierOmar

chrisgtp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrisgtpSend a Private Message to chrisgtpDirect Link to This Post
Title 49 > Subtitle VI > Part C > Chapter 327 > Section 32709

§ 32709. Penalties and enforcement

Title 49 of the US Code as currently published by the US Government reflects the laws passed by Congress as of Jan. 2, 2006.

The office of the Law Revision Counsel is responsible for the codification process, which can take as much as several years, but which starts very quickly with "classification" of recently passed legislation to corresponding US Code sections.

here is the link
http://www4.law.cornell.edu...0032709----000-.html

as for your time line i think your dead on

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
First of all, I'll say "Joe, you were stupid for what you did." Second, I'll give everyone else another side to Joe also. Joe entered into an agreement with my best friend (Formulemoe) to get his car painted in exchange for a 3.4dohc engine. Formulamoe painted Joe's car then Joe delivered the engine. Months later when Formulamoe went to put the engine in he discovered a bad cylinder. Something had gotten in there and chewed up the piston head and the cylinder wall. When Joe found this out, he went and bought another used 3.4 and gave it to Formulamoe and it is still in his Ferrari kit car. Very fast and it sounds beautiful. Once again, Joe you were stupid, but I think you can learn from this mistake and you are paying restitution. I wouldn't recomend making the same mistake twice. Your "errors in judgement" will always find you out, and people have good memories. I hope you get this straightened out and restore your rep.

Jim

BTW Joe: How's the 3800SC coming along?

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 01-14-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
Hey, sorry I haven't replied here. I've been on vacation visiting family since Thursday (nice timing, right?) and really didn't get much chance to post.
We (my wife and I) just walked in and we have more to do before I get a chance to give a full reply, but it will be soon. There's lots to say.

-Steven
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
I discovered on a customer's car during our "new purchase inspection" that the car had the VIN numbers swapped out with another car. The dealership came down and told me to prove it, which I did...I can tell the difference between a 1995 Mercedes S320 and a 1996 S320 by just opening the hood.
Anyway, the dealership gave a 100% refund and let him keep the car to avoid any criminal charges. That's what I would expect if that happened to me.
Dave

------------------

1987 GT (my toy-see above), 1987 GT (wife's toy), 1986 SE soon to be VR6, certified master technician/shop owner
www.njautobahn.com

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
Okay, first, the story. FierOmar is mostly correct. In fact I'll just copy his post and make the changes/additions (hope you don't mind). Read it all again carefully to be clear.

When Joe (RandomTask) purchased from Tony (multiple user names), it had 122,203 miles on it.

Due to inadvertence on the part of the VA DMV, he received a title that showed 22,203 miles on it. At some time thereafter, Joe rolled back the odometer to match the DMV mistake (this is what Joe says now, but his story in my Carfax thread was that he received the title with " (22,203) " instead of " 122,203 ". I suppose that's still a possibility, but it wasn't anyone else who modified it if that's what it said when VA got a hold of it), since he had ran a Carfax and it didn't report any mileage so he thought hew could get off scot-free (Carfax is flaky sometimes and omits entries it's showed at other times, it's happened to me before).

Joe proceeded to powder coat the suspension and replace some of the wearable parts, including bushings with poly and tie rods (which seemed strange to me considering the mileage, but I thought he had just ultimately wanted a 'brand new' like car, no questions). Tony had already removed the engine, trans, and axles and replaced the cradle with an even higher mileage piece from another '88, though Joe hasn't ever told me this.

When Joe decided to sell the car, he listed the car as a low mileage roller, but now admits that he misrepresented the actual mileage. Otherwise, his description of the rolling chassis/parts car appeared to be accurate, though the full condition had been slightly misrepresented at this point as well.

I, Steven, aka ALLTRBO expressed interest in the car: In connection with my interest, I stated:

"With all that work and new parts (not counting the separate drivetrain) on top of a low original mileage, and providing the interior is in excellent or near excellent shape as well as the small stuff all in proper working order I would think it'd be in the neighborhood of $3,000+ to a Fiero enthusiast. All it really needs is a drivetrain (yeah, that's all ) and paint, right? With that (no matter which engine or trans) it could be one of the nicest GT's around."

To which Joe replied:

"Yup, drivetrain, paint, and struts."

That part of my decision to purchase was based on the known condition of the car, I also relied on the representation that the chassis had low miles, despite some outward indication that the mileage was incorrect.
(IMHO as well, the picture of the odometer evidences some tampering, but so do my past and current two Fieros that are 99% verified accurate so I didn't think anything of it)

Once I had decided for sure and had the funds in hand, I offered Joe $2000 telling him that's all I could do. He reluctantly accepted, claiming to tell me the full HONEST (the very word he used) story about every detail of the car and it's history (I have all these PM's still as well) so that we "both walk away happy", now mentioning previously unknown facts such as the delam'd taillights, cracked quarter windows, hole cut into the frame rail to remove a spun cradle bolt, unoriginal and ripped seats, no fender liners, a cracked rear fascia, and the mention that he wanted to keep the lip spoiler (I didn't want it anyway). At this point I internally retract my thought that the car could be worth $3000, and hold that it's still worth $2000 to me, but I wouldn't pay more even if I could. We worked out details for the sale to take place, I got my truck ready, rented a U-haul trailer, and drove down to Yorktown, so the sale actually took place in Virginia.
I got there to see the car as described (what I could see anyway), and all the usual conversation ensued. (A mention here is that Joe told me that when he put the rear suspension back together, he used slightly random (incorrect) nuts and bolts to hold it together for reasons I forget, but that he had already ordered brand new hardware and it was on it's way, and he would send them to me as soon as they arrived. I took him for his word. I still haven't seen these bolts for various given reasons even after continuous contact with him to hold him to his word, and this is why I haven't given him a trader rating yet. I was waiting for him to hold true to what he said first. What he has done is payed me for the approximate cost of the bolts, which is around $40 because I gave some slack and upon his request, I told him that since he didn't receive them that I'd accept the cost of them and his full list of which ones I need, then I'd order them. I haven't received a list yet. This is the only loose end here).
So Joe tells me that since he wasn't up front to begin with about the nagging problems he'd take $1900 for the car, and would also throw in whatever random stock Fiero parts he had lying around (most of them are from this car, as I didn't take a lot of what he had). I agree, we both sign the title (that VA listed with 22,203 miles) with the mileage he wrote in at 22,203 and the date (10/13/07). I left with the car and the deal was apparently done, for the exception of the hardware (I don't consider this a legal problem since it was a gentlemen's agreement).

Fast forward to a week ago, where I get a Carfax I requested from a member for the car stating that a service station entered a mileage of 108,xxx in 2001. Here's where I start my thread (linked to at the beginning of this thread), and Joe's misrepresentation regarding the mileage has been exposed, to which he fesses up in an email to Tony and I saying he'll do whatever it takes to make it right, including paying back the full price of the car if necessary. At this point Joe and Tony decide to edit their posts in that thread deleting all of the previous content, even without my reply to the confession. I don't feel this was right, but it doesn't matter much because I quoted most of it anyway so the story is still there. I think they wanted to make it private at that point but in my opinion, what was already public should have stayed that way.

I'm going onto another post to break this up now, so hang tight...

Edited for some more clarification...

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 01-14-2008).]

Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
Richjk21

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Direct Link to This Post
Julian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JulianSend a Private Message to JulianDirect Link to This Post
Maybe it's just me....But I'm tired of seeing this thread back on top. I'm sure Joe learned & is paying for it. I have nothing against Joe or the party who bought it because it sounds like all is good for both. Maybe we should let them talk it out & we can stay out of it and when all is said & done it's up to them to see what they want to share with the rest of us. I'm just glad the scam came clean. I appologise if I'm out of line but those are my thoughts. Peace y'all.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
I don't think its a bad thing to talk about it. Bringing things like this out in the open will help others that my be tempted to do something similar. I think he is lucky that its being worked out, it could have been a lot worse. We have all made mistakes in life and want forgiveness, I can let it go because it wasn't my car but because I have purchased cars and parts on here I would like to hear the finish of the story. Its a good point for anyone buying a used car, make sure of what you're getting and don't be blinded by a good deal.
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
(continued from my last post)
Now, of course at this point I'm feeling quite 'betrayed' by Joe to say the very least. After a few days of serious thought and talks with lawyers, friends, and family, I decided that if he truly does make this right according to my standards I won't drag it to court, but I'm willing and ready to if it comes down to it. He knows how I feel about the situation, as I told him flat out.
Since Joe didn't have a problem posting some of what I need to make it right, I'll take that as permission to be clear about it all on my end.

My standards are these, and in a minute I'll tell you why:
I want to keep the car, but Joe must pay me $1000 back in a lump sum, and he must contact the Virginia DMV to tell them of their error so it can be corrected (not Carfax, but the Virginia DMV), and this must be done even if I need to head down there to do it with him now that I'm the legal owner and title holder. Also, the proper parts list for the hardware that I don't have needs to be given to me. All of this needs to be done in a timely manner (I won't let it drag on needlessly).

Here's why:
The $1000 figure was chosen for various reasons, mostly because I would not have paid or offered as much as I did had I known the full truth from the beginning. I can't say now what I might have paid, or if I would have bought it at all, but this sounds fair to me considering the circumstances. I don't feel it would be right to request all of my money back (because as it was said, I don't necessarily deserve a free car) even if Joe does deserve to lose the car and all of the money. If he decides to pay the rest of it back I'll happily accept it, but that part would have to come from him.

Since I want to keep the car, I now may have issues in the future if I ever decide to sell it and someone orders a Carfax. Even though I'd be very happy to be honest and tell them the real story, and that I (at that point) rolled forward the odometer by 100,000 miles, suspicions still may be aroused and I might have a hard time dealing with it, or at worst, one could accuse me of having committed odometer fraud. However remote these possibilities are, the fact remains that I shouldn't ever have had to deal with ANY of this. If Virginia corrects the entry then there will be no problem even if it shows up anywhere, because a previous error had been corrected.
Now, if this opens up a can of worms for Joe then that's his fault, but I think it's possible to correct it without that happening, and this is part of what needs to occur.

Another thing that needs to be done to make it right for me is that he needs to hold true to our gentlemen's agreement still, and I need a list of that suspension hardware as I don't have time to track down every one I need (especially after dealing with all this).
Again, Joe says he wants to make this right, and this is how it needs to happen.

Now to answer the posts of the community in general, here's my thoughts.
Joe mentioned in his email that Tony or I could make this public if we wished, and I told him that I think he is the one that needs to make it public, and apologize to everyone here who he just lied to in the other thread, especially those who were interested in the car when it was for sale. He just did this here, and that's a very good start.

There are MUCH worse things that could be done to a person than odometer fraud, but this one does fall under legal jurisdiction, so this has it's place.
In my mind, our country's and state's justice systems are here to promote reform, not revenge (however badly it may sometimes fail). It doesn't matter if he got caught red handed or he came forward on his own, if reform can be had without involving the justice system, I'm all for it. I go to mass at least every Sunday, during which I recite these words that we were given to say:
"...forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us..."
...and I mean those words. What a hypocrite I would be if I didn't!
To me, Joe can make this right and I can forgive him and move on. My trust in him will be have to be re-earned which takes much longer, but don't confuse that with forgiveness. More than that, no one here should confuse forgiveness with a lack of willingness to take the necessary steps to fix the situation legally if it isn't fixed between Joe and I personally.

Everyone here can form their own opinions of the matter, but at least you now know where I stand.

Edited for more clarification...

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 01-14-2008).]

Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
Good stuff, Steven. Well thought out and well written.

I bet Joe is glad someone like you bought the car. We'll be watching to see how the car comes out.

I'm sure it will be a really nice 88 when you are through with it - and I will feel like a distant uncle, watching it grow from the child it is right now.

Cheers!
FierOmar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post
O.K. I think I got it. But before commenting, I would like to commend both Joe and Steven for the way this has been aired. Both have remained civil despite involving circumstances that might have otherwise led to endless pages of accusations and counter accusations.

Now for my comment. There was a misrepresentation, which is many states is referred to as a fraud, a deceit, or sometimes by both "fraud and deceit. " However, Federal law aside for a moment, even if the deceit were otherwise actionable, Steven would be required to prove that he justifiably relied on the misrepresentation, a fact that might be be somewhat difficult in light of the other comments he has made here. Then, to the extent he were able to prove all the elements of deceit, he would need to decide on the remedy he is requesting (e.g. rescind the contract and return the vehicle in exchange for his money, or money damages). Typically a damage claim is limited to the difference between the actual value received and the value had the car been as represented. Since Saxman is willing to pay $800 (and maybe a few dollars more), then the damages would likely be in the $1,000 range. Joe has apparently offered to pay the $1,000, so what would be the point of going to court, particularly since Steven would likely be required to bring the action in Virginia.

Hiring a lawyer might not solve the problem since most jurisdictions have a procedure to encourage fair settlement offers that have the effect of turning the attorneys fees provision around if the other party fails to accept what proves to be favorable settlement offer.

The Federal statute creates a separate issue. Damages must be proven, but tothe extent that there are proven damages, there is a treble damage provision that could end up costing Joe much more than the actual damages. (Thanks to chrisgtp for providing that reference.) As for statutory civil penalties that could be imposed by the Secretary of Transportation, you need to consider the rest of the statute:

"In determining the amount of a civil penalty under this subsection, the Secretary shall consider—
(A) the nature, circumstances, extent, and gravity of the violation;
(B) with respect to the violator, the degree of culpability, any history of prior violations, the ability to pay, and any effect on the ability to continue doing business; and
(C) other matters that justice requires."

Having said all that, I think Joe and Steven have taken the right steps to resolve this matter without having to run to court. Joe's integrity may be damaged, but his willingness to acknowledge his wrongdoing, should help mend that over time. Good luck to both of you.
------------------
FierOmar

[This message has been edited by FierOmar (edited 01-16-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
chrisgtp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chrisgtpSend a Private Message to chrisgtpDirect Link to This Post
omar I think you need to read this part again

1. Violation and amount of damages - A person that violates this chapter or a regulation prescribed or order issued under this chapter, with the intent to defraud, is liable for 3 times the actual damages or $1,500.00, whichever is greater.

regardless off how much less he would have paid 1500 is the minimum penalty. I think thats what he should refund at the minimum, any thing less and he is getting off way cheep. But thats my opinion.

Alltrbo, i have held off giving you a + in this situation, I don't think being the victim of a crime is a reason for it but the way you have handled your self is better then i would have so here is a + from me
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
Just for the record - my $800 offer was somewhat of a joke since I know the car (with all the new suspension parts and all) is worth much more than what I offered. I think Steven knows that.

Of course, I would still buy it for that, but I certainly did not expect Steven to take me up on the offer. I was just trying to throw a smile in this whole situation.

I'd much rather have what he has instead of the crusty suspension I am replacing on my 88 Formula. The offer still stands!
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
ALLTRBO you have received a + from me also. A well thought out post that you wrote above. You are handling this in a extremely professional manner. It has been said "Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it." Yours has been revealed.

Jim

Edit: To take the u out of your user name. As if it really mattered.

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 01-15-2008).]

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
I also apluad the both of you for your handling and remaining civil. It may get harder to do so as this goes on but remember that regardless of what happens you still have your health! Not to belittle the situation of course. I hope you guys work through it.

john
FierOmar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chrisgtp:

omar I think you need to read this part again

regardless off how much less he would have paid 1500 is the minimum penalty. I think thats what he should refund at the minimum, any thing less and he is getting off way cheep. But thats my opinion.

I read it and fully understand it. Once again, you are correct in your recitation of the statute. However, in order to enforce the statutory treble damage provision, legal action would be required. And, depending on the circumstances, such action might not be as productive as the tentative agreement between the two parties, particularly when you consider the time required on Steven's part to appear in court, etc. That's why I commend both parties for reaching a reasonable resolution.

As a separate point of interest, how many people on this forum have replaced their 85 mph speedometer/odometer unit with a 120? How many of those have complied with Section 32704? Section 32704 provides:

"(a) Adjusting Mileage.— A person may service, repair, or replace an odometer of a motor vehicle if the mileage registered by the odometer remains the same as before the service, repair, or replacement. If the mileage cannot remain the same—
(1) the person shall adjust the odometer to read zero; and
(2) the owner of the vehicle or agent of the owner shall attach a written notice to the left door frame of the vehicle specifying the mileage before the service, repair, or replacement and the date of the service, repair, or replacement.

(b) Removing or Altering Notice.— A person may not, with intent to defraud, remove or alter a notice attached to a motor vehicle as required by this section."

Failing to reset the replacement odometer to zero and/or failing to place the required notice on the left door frame could be construed as evidence of an intent to defraud, particularly if all facts were not disclosed to a subsequent transferee.

------------------
FierOmar

[This message has been edited by FierOmar (edited 01-16-2008).]

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
ALLTRBO I also commend your good conduct, and a + for you.
Joe Crawford
Texas
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Lots of criminals say sorry when they are caught. Not my thread. Not my business but you admit you changed the speedo i have been scammed and im not the forgiving kind try Jebus.
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FierOmar:
(1) the person shall adjust the odometer to read zero; and
(2) the owner of the vehicle or agent of the owner shall attach a written notice to the left door frame of the vehicle specifying the mileage before the service, repair, or replacement and the date of the service, repair, or replacement.

when we replace them they come in set to 000,000.
the sticker that we write the info on is about 2"x4".
the writing on them fade within a year, just from normal driving. they could probably fade faster if you "wanted" them to.
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
ive replaced every 85MPH speedo ive had with a 120, however i put the odometer from the 85MPH speedo into the 120MPH speedo, that way its got the correct mileage.

i cant tell you the flak ive taken over my 84 car stating a possible odometer rollback, but there's no actual higher mileage statement, i got the car from fierowarehouse who purchased it with 16,xxx miles, doug said he drove it for 3 years, and i got it with 39,xxx miles on it, it now has 42,xxx miles on it.

i do know the original owner wrecked it, fixed it and installed t-tops, then sold it to doug, doug sold it to me, the original interior and dash were in excellent shape, no rust anywhere either. i believe the car is an actual 42,xxx mile car, thats all it matters to me, if i sell the car ill give the new owner the carfax report that shows its a reconstructed car, and that it was also in a wreck last year again, the car was issued a salvage title in 1992 with 16,xxx miles on it it wasnt till 2003 that doug purchased it WITH the salvage title, and then in 04 i purchased it and got it turned into a reconstructed title (not sure how doug drove it for 23,000 miles without a reconstructed title in west virginia.......)

also the car came from MD or New jersey, so i think that most of the work done on it could have been done by the IRM owners since it does have their ground effects and spoiler package, and doug has the over the roof scoops that were supposed to come with it.

05/01/1990 New Jersey
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Title #901230268
SALVAGE TITLE/CERTIFICATE ISSUED

12/30/1992 16,555 New Jersey
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Highland Park, NJ
NOT ACTUAL MILEAGE TITLE ISSUED
CARFAX Advisor™
A NAM title is issued when the owner discloses to a DMV
mileage fraud, a broken odometer or that the actual mileage of
this vehicle is unknown.

04/10/2003 West Virginia
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Glen Dale, WV
Title #AU45032
New owner reported
Exempt from odometer reporting

03/14/2006 West Virginia
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Charleston, WV
Title #BP63340
New owner reported
REBUILT TITLE ISSUED
Exempt from odometer reporting

01/14/2007 West Virginia
Police Report
Accident reported
in Putnam County
involving a front impact
with another motor vehicle
Moderate damage reported

Mileage reported after this reading is potentially unreliable.
on with the thread, i think the two partys involved are handling this great and im glad the agreement will make them both happy(or atleast one of them)

matthew

[This message has been edited by m0sh_man (edited 01-16-2008).]

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
When I transfered my title last month at the Tax Office here ( San Jacinto Count, Texas) I told the lady that the mileage was over 100,000 miles (carfax) on the car but I had installed a new speedometer in the car that reads 81,XXX miles, and I wasn't sure which to enter in the blank. She said it didn't matter as the car was too old anyway. We entered 100,000 in the box though. My new title came last week, and "EXEMPT" was entered by the State of Texas. I would not try to sell it as a 81K milage car though.
PFF
System Bot
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

When I transfered my title last month at the Tax Office here ( San Jacinto Count, Texas) I told the lady that the mileage was over 100,000 miles (carfax) on the car but I had installed a new speedometer in the car that reads 81,XXX miles, and I wasn't sure which to enter in the blank. She said it didn't matter as the car was too old anyway. We entered 100,000 in the box though. My new title came last week, and "EXEMPT" was entered by the State of Texas. I would not try to sell it as a 81K milage car though.

Florida does this too. My title says EXEMPT in the mileage section.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post01-16-2008 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 04-21-2009).]

RUNDLC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCDirect Link to This Post
Have you ever heard the Bible scripture that says' He that is without sin cast the first stone" You did do something wrong, but you have asked for forgivness. In my book just don't do the "sin again.

We ALL make mistakes in judgement and or have lied or mistreated someone RIGHT??

Go in peace

RUNDLC

[This message has been edited by RUNDLC (edited 01-16-2008).]

carnut122

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
I believe the front-end hardware kit you're seeking can be found at: push-pull.com. Look for Fiero on their long list of products.
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:

I believe the front-end hardware kit you're seeking can be found at: push-pull.com. Look for Fiero on their long list of products.

Wrong thread?
WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post01-18-2008 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toddster:

I believe in acknowledging a person's repentence regardless of the motivation.

Really? As in you practice it, or you just acknowledge that it exists?
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by WhiteDevil88:

Really? As in you practice it, or you just acknowledge that it exists?

Of all the interesting stuff posted here the troll in you just couldn't resist latching onto THIS statement for the sake of a personal attack, could you?

OK Stimpy/TelegramSam/1986 Fiero/WhiteTrash88/etc/etc/etc, I'll Play.

Yes, I practice it.

I also practice another bit of philosophy that goes something like this, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me".

You used up your "once" Jeff a LONG time ago. It ain't an open-ended deal.

That answer your question?

[This message has been edited by Toddster (edited 01-19-2008).]

Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Ehh.. I bought a 52k mile car from Joe a while back... Never did a Carfax though. Should I be worried? (anyone have an account still? - 1G2PF37R7GP244768) Never had any reason to doubt except the car doesn't exactly look 52k old... Seeing this though I'm kind of freaking out a bit... I registered it 10/07 and the Registry didn't say anything, but I guess as we've seen that don't mean everything is OK.
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2008 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
Riceburner98, you have a PM.

Thanks for the support/help/advice/information everyone. I'll post up when anything definitive happens with the resolution since everyone here somewhat deserves to know the outcome.

Saxman, thanks for the offer. *<smile for the situation*
You don't have to feel like a distant uncle, you can come help me build it! Bring the Saxophones!

Originally posted by johnyrottin:
...but remember that regardless of what happens you still have your health!
john

Heh, if only that were true. :/ Thanks for the well wishes.

Originally posted by carnut122:

I'm actually in need of the rear suspension hardware.
I looked there, and didn't see anything directly Fiero related, just a bit of info about custom cables and hardware (looks nice, though).

Saxman, he's referring to the situation in my first (long) post above.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock