Cali's Build Thread by CaliforniaSpeeder9
Started on: 05-19-2007 05:28 AM
Replies: 60
Last post by: Emc209i on 01-27-2008 04:01 AM
northeastfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2007 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroDirect Link to This Post
If this car looks half as good as your previous car when it`s finished, it will look as good as some as your photos.

Carl
IP: Logged
Leafy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2007 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LeafySend a Private Message to LeafyDirect Link to This Post
So how would you stop Spidercracking as far as prep goes? What Causes it I guess would be a more pertinent question.

You really can't tell from a distance how bad it really is. How many coats of paint and clear did they do for you?

------------------
2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
1986 Fiero GT 2.8L 4 speed

www.purevolume.com/seanrainey

CaliforniaSpeeder9

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2007 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaliforniaSpeeder9Click Here to visit CaliforniaSpeeder9's HomePageSend a Private Message to CaliforniaSpeeder9Direct Link to This Post
You look at their webiste here, I supposedly got the supreme. http://www.maaco.com/paint-overall.aspx

Some people have been telling me to bring it back, but i just read on the contract that once i take it home im SOL

[This message has been edited by CaliforniaSpeeder9 (edited 10-30-2007).]

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2007 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
spider cracks in a bumper have to be sanded completely down to the plastic (just dont use heavy grit sand paper and leave grooves or anything in the bumper) then use a high build primer to level out places you sanded heavier than others. thats the ONLY way to get the cracks out, just scuffing the paint and leaving them there then hoping they fill in is pointless, it leaves a low spot where the paint tried to fill in the holes, If you lay the clearcoat on heavy enough the spider cracks will not be as visible, i did this with my wife's purple car, it had severe spider cracks, now they can only be seen in certain lights. The paint we used had alot of metallic pearl in it, so now when the light hits those cracks just right they have a beautiful metallic shine that flips from purple to blue.

matthew
Leafy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2007 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LeafySend a Private Message to LeafyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by m0sh_man:

spider cracks in a bumper have to be sanded completely down to the plastic (just dont use heavy grit sand paper and leave grooves or anything in the bumper) then use a high build primer to level out places you sanded heavier than others. thats the ONLY way to get the cracks out, just scuffing the paint and leaving them there then hoping they fill in is pointless, it leaves a low spot where the paint tried to fill in the holes, If you lay the clearcoat on heavy enough the spider cracks will not be as visible, i did this with my wife's purple car, it had severe spider cracks, now they can only be seen in certain lights. The paint we used had alot of metallic pearl in it, so now when the light hits those cracks just right they have a beautiful metallic shine that flips from purple to blue.

matthew

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know!

------------------
2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
1986 Fiero GT 2.8L 4 speed

www.purevolume.com/seanrainey

CaliforniaSpeeder9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2007 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CaliforniaSpeeder9Click Here to visit CaliforniaSpeeder9's HomePageSend a Private Message to CaliforniaSpeeder9Direct Link to This Post
Quarter windows came in today and boy are they pretty. I want to get to work right away. Ive been told the best way to get the old ones off is to saw it with some fishing line. All i have here is 6lb test. Will that do?
CaliforniaSpeeder9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2007 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaliforniaSpeeder9Click Here to visit CaliforniaSpeeder9's HomePageSend a Private Message to CaliforniaSpeeder9Direct Link to This Post
Bump.

Thanks for all the advice guys, really appreciate it **sarcasm**

I took a crack at it on my own. Not perfect but here she is all finished.

[This message has been edited by CaliforniaSpeeder9 (edited 11-06-2007).]

88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2007 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
looks good, what did you use to remove the windows?
CaliforniaSpeeder9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2007 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CaliforniaSpeeder9Click Here to visit CaliforniaSpeeder9's HomePageSend a Private Message to CaliforniaSpeeder9Direct Link to This Post
My dad picked up some 60# test fishing line for me, it was taking forever so i just loosened them up a bit with the line then peeled them off, breaking them along the way. But they were so bad i wasnt sad to see them go. After that I used some sort of paint scraper thing to get all the old tape off.

Some of the new tape is showing around the edges. Im going to either use an exacto knife to cut it off or simply get a black marker and make them less noticeable. Like I said its not perfect.

------------------
My Fiero History. Rachel and Abby

I AM Fiero Fotographia, Myspace Fiero and Gornitzka Photography

[This message has been edited by CaliforniaSpeeder9 (edited 11-06-2007).]

CaliforniaSpeeder9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2007 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CaliforniaSpeeder9Click Here to visit CaliforniaSpeeder9's HomePageSend a Private Message to CaliforniaSpeeder9Direct Link to This Post
Bump.

Took her up to the top of Mt Hamilton today. Sorry Roy, I was so bored I couldnt wait.

Scouting Report: The road up has a mixture of just about everything. Long high speed straights, hairpins, newly paved road and old, lanes that get tighter than a parking space, and breathtaking views all the way up....although you should really look where your going
The observatory was open when I went and is open 7 days a week. They have public restrooms, water, and vending machines. I was offered a tour when I was about to leave but passed up opportunity saying I would return with the club Trip is around one hour each way. Didnt use much fuel though.

------------------
My Fiero History. Rachel and Abby

I AM Fiero Fotographia, Myspace Fiero and Gornitzka Photography

[This message has been edited by CaliforniaSpeeder9 (edited 11-07-2007).]

m0sh_man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2007 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
are you going to paint the trim black again on the car?

just my opinion but the car would look 10x better with satin black trim and door handles.

matthew
PFF
System Bot
CaliforniaSpeeder9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2007 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaliforniaSpeeder9Click Here to visit CaliforniaSpeeder9's HomePageSend a Private Message to CaliforniaSpeeder9Direct Link to This Post
When I went to pick the car up from the paint shop the first time they hadnt done it like id asked. Or the mirrors. Itll only go back to black when I paint it yellow and that wont be for many years. All the ideas I have for my car come from Ferraris. I think to myself "Does a ferrari have a wing?" No, so its comes off. "Does a Ferrari have black bumper trim?" No, so its painted over. etc. etc.

[This message has been edited by CaliforniaSpeeder9 (edited 11-07-2007).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2007 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Love the shots. They came out great!!

Keep the red trim. It's the next best thing to shaved trim (which I've heard is a pain to take the panels off I've been told)

m0sh_man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2007 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CaliforniaSpeeder9:

When I went to pick the car up from the paint shop the first time they hadnt done it like id asked. Or the mirrors. Itll only go back to black when I paint it yellow and that wont be for many years. All the ideas I have for my car come from Ferraris. I think to myself "Does a ferrari have a wing?" No, so its comes off. "Does a Ferrari have black bumper trim?" No, so its painted over. etc. etc.

does a ferrari have a 2.8L v6? No, so now you must put a 32 valve DOHC v8 in its place

northstar here you come, might as well do the CHRFAB cams too so you can spin to 8000 RPM :P

matthew

CaliforniaSpeeder9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2007 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaliforniaSpeeder9Click Here to visit CaliforniaSpeeder9's HomePageSend a Private Message to CaliforniaSpeeder9Direct Link to This Post
lol like I said its a work in progress
88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2007 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
looks great, where is that place you were shooting??? is that north of dublin?
CaliforniaSpeeder9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2007 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CaliforniaSpeeder9Click Here to visit CaliforniaSpeeder9's HomePageSend a Private Message to CaliforniaSpeeder9Direct Link to This Post
On top of Mt Hamilton at the Lick Observatory
http://www.openroad.tv/video.php?vid=84

[This message has been edited by CaliforniaSpeeder9 (edited 11-09-2007).]

gldkarma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2007 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gldkarmaSend a Private Message to gldkarmaDirect Link to This Post
Looking forward to seeing your car AND doing the drive to Mt. Hamilton, Paul--as soon as I can drive my car again! It will be 4-5 more wks. at least before the cast comes off my right wrist and I have some physical therapy to get the strength back I guess. It's the pitts!!

JC
CaliforniaSpeeder9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CaliforniaSpeeder9Click Here to visit CaliforniaSpeeder9's HomePageSend a Private Message to CaliforniaSpeeder9Direct Link to This Post
Just thought I should update with the last photos I took of the, umm, car
Emc209i

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post01-27-2008 03:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
Do you happen to remember where the quarter windows came from Paul? They look nice!

Great photographs.
Emc209i

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post01-27-2008 04:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Emc209i

3091 posts
Member since Apr 2005
Heh, nevermind!

Originally posted by CaliforniaSpeeder9:

I have the same, not perfect but still 100% better than my cracked originals

PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)