Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Smoking in a Fiero... I'm Angry (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Smoking in a Fiero... I'm Angry by RideZiLightning
Started on: 01-16-2007 01:47 AM
Replies: 66
Last post by: Newbfiero on 01-28-2007 08:20 PM
carolinajoe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2007 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carolinajoeClick Here to visit carolinajoe's HomePageSend a Private Message to carolinajoeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RideZiLightning:

This was not meant to be about anyones rights, I hate smokers, or anything like that. Just about smoke damaging the interior of the car.

Well since you already hate me (I smoke) (puff,puff)

I guess that a 20 year old car that has never been smoked in smells good??
Mine was never smoked in until I got it and it smelled ummm OLD.
By me smoking it, it got rid of that OLD smell

I am also wonder about this?
My car smokes so why can't I??? LOL
Also I believe that there may be some harmful fumes comming out the exhaust.
So if Ohio has that law then everytime someone walks by a car you would have to turn it off?

IP: Logged
hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2007 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughDirect Link to This Post
Two things:Even when I smoked I didn't like the smell of cars that were smoked in,but I would never criticize someone else for doing it in their car.
New Jersey has a law coming up for a vote that says if you are stopped for smoking with someone in the car under 16 the police will arrest you and impound your car.This will be a primary offense,meaning,you can be stopped for it.
There are already 2 states with this law on their books.It is also in Bangor,Maine.

------------------
Question my ability,question my intelligence,never question my integrity!
87drivetrain http://fieroaddiction.com/SBCTa.html

Jermz238

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2007 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jermz238Send a Private Message to Jermz238Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by hugh:

Two things:Even when I smoked I didn't like the smell of cars that were smoked in,but I would never criticize someone else for doing it in their car.
New Jersey has a law coming up for a vote that says if you are stopped for smoking with someone in the car under 16 the police will arrest you and impound your car.This will be a primary offense,meaning,you can be stopped for it.
There are already 2 states with this law on their books.It is also in Bangor,Maine.

lol tell me you're joking? i can see how they'd want to do it for the health of the kids (i guess, smoking in the car isnt anywhere near as second-hand smoke intensive as smoking in the house or something) but come on big brother much?
Fiero_Fan_88

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2007 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Direct Link to This Post
Well it's his car so he can do what he wants in it

------------------
" A mobile home with a flat tire, is just a home."
" If some one ask if your ticklish it doesn't matter if you say yes or no, they're still going to touch you. That's why when they ask you say something like, I have diarria!"

Finally_Mine_86_GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2007 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
i smoke and i smoke in my fiero... after i rebuild it i know i wont smoke in it but right now who really cares about damaged plastic getting some nicotine on them? i don't smoke in my car when my son is in the car because i don't even smoke in my apartment because of him. so.... i guess hate me all you want, but if a person owns a car unfortunately they can do whatever they want to it or in it that is within thier legal rights.
Gecko

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2007 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post
I have a family member who buys a new Suv every few years, and she smokes but always goes outside the vehicle to do so, regardless of the weather/temperature. She knows the vehicles sell better if their not smoked in.

I am still waiting to see that person smoking crack in their fiero. That way when they run out, I can buy the car for $20 lol

hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2007 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughDirect Link to This Post
Jermz238,I just repeated what was said on the evening news.I saw an article in this mornings paper that mentioned it also.
larini74

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2007 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for larini74Click Here to visit larini74's HomePageSend a Private Message to larini74Direct Link to This Post
I'm sorry, but I don't see why you are angry about a guy smoking in his own Fiero!
If it were your Fiero, I'd understand; but it's his car, he can do what he wants in it.
Tinton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2007 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TintonSend a Private Message to TintonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gecko:

I have a family member who buys a new Suv every few years, and she smokes but always goes outside the vehicle to do so, regardless of the weather/temperature. She knows the vehicles sell better if their not smoked in.

I am still waiting to see that person smoking crack in their fiero. That way when they run out, I can buy the car for $20 lol

True, vehicles do sell better when they're not smoked in. I hate smokers/smoking (cigarettes SUCK, I don't mind other kind of smoking ), and I hate seeing a nice car get smoked in, but really its their car, they do what they want. Just, when it comes up for them to SELL that car (if they do, most people don't own the same cars forever), I will not buy it because of the nasty interior. That's about as much impact as I can have on the situation. There are many other people like me though, and because they refuse to buy the nasty-smelling car, the demand drops, and the price drops. So, the owner gets his (or her) reward eventually. Only thing that would make ME angry is that the poor, otherwise beautiful car gets ruined.

------------------

twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2007 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
Eh, I dont see any reason to be upset over somebody smoking in their own car.

I smoke in the car, my wife does, as does 90% of our family. We dont care who or what doesnt like it. They are our cars.

I also smoke the occasional cigar in the car, love the smell.

Oh, and I've stepped in dog $hit and got in the car before I noticed, that sux, as does cow/horse/sheep $hit, done it with all of em.

I dream of summer days sitting on warm leather seats naked, smoking a stogie, sweating my a$$ off witht the windows up. Now there is a picture jk

Brad
Newbfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2007 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NewbfieroSend a Private Message to NewbfieroDirect Link to This Post
You had me laught over this one Oh, and I've stepped in dog $hit and got in the car before I noticed, that sux, as does cow/horse/sheep $hit, done it with all of em.
PFF
System Bot
davikan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2007 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davikanClick Here to visit davikan's HomePageSend a Private Message to davikanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by larini74:

I'm sorry, but I don't see why you are angry about a guy smoking in his own Fiero!

As I read RideZiLightning's original post, his intention was NEVER to be an anti-smoking Nazi. Rather, he feels the same way that many of us here do: nice Fieros are rare, cherished things that we'd like to see preserved a often as possible. Someone's choice to smoke is just that: his/her own choice. But that doesn't change the fact that the residuals from smoking cigarettes can dirty or damage aforementioned rare, nice, Fieros.

The guy smoking in the red notchie has every right to do so: I'm sure RideZiLightning's comment of "that should be illegal" was stream-of-conciousness typing, born simply of a love of Fieros, and of a want to preserve nice specimens of the line. Maybe he should have censored himself a little, but all of us are here because we love Fieros, whether we're smokers or not. I'd think that we'd be able to understand his motivation for writing what he did, and not blow it out of proportion like is evident in this thread.

Smokers, keep smoking in your Fieros!
Non-Smokers, save your pennies! Every man has his price, and if we have enough money amongst us, we can save more Fieros from the smokers!

(Kidding! Geesh, after re-reading that last sentence, I can only hope you smokers have a sense of humor, and the patience to wait for the cash to start rolling in...)

------------------

spookything

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2007 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spookythingClick Here to visit spookything's HomePageSend a Private Message to spookythingDirect Link to This Post
When I was a kid every adult in my family smoked in their cars with us kids in there. On several occasions, I even got yelled at for asking them to roll a window down in the winter.

I remember my uncle being absolutely P1$$ed that the railway he worked for brought in a new company policy that said that you could not smoke in a company vehicle with more than one person. He was ranting that it was ridiculous that two smokers could not smoke in a company truck. I was a bit older and said to him, OK so you are saying that you, who allways smokes in your truck with me in it would not make me lie and say I was smoker if you were the boss and I was an underling. He got the point of the rule but still ranted. That is a company policy I want to see as a law.

So, smokers, have at it. Smoke yourselves silly. But even though killing yourselves is a right, killing your passengers is not. I do not care wat you do to your cars. I have stuck up for kids stuck in an economy car with a chain smoking Dad.

On a similar note, I went to the Detroit auto show and was surprised by the restaurant's lack of a no smoking section. Just another reason to never bother with that joke of a show again.

Rant mode off.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled smoke filled program.

Rick
wiley90

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2007 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wiley90Send a Private Message to wiley90Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RideZiLightning:

I saw an extremely nice red notchie around town that had custum quarters and rocker panels and a whale tail, but the guy was sitting in a parking lot, smoking, with windows closed. I've seen this guy like this like 4 times now. It makes me kinda pissed, does this make anyone else kinda angry?

You are the most un american ******* I have come across in a while. Why don't you just go and wrap your self in your gay rainbow and die! You are a piece of garbage.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2007 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spookything:

I have stuck up for kids stuck in an economy car with a chain smoking Dad.

Rick

Smoking around kids is a good thing to do at all, but who appointed *you* the "smoke police"??
Can't say I would have blamed the guy if he had stomped a mud hole in your ass.
You ought to be worrying about your own health if you're going around doing stupid things like that. Smoking is going to kill *you*.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2007 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

randye

13909 posts
Member since Mar 2006

Originally posted by randye:

CORRECTION:

Smoking around kids is a NOT good thing to do at all, but who appointed *you* the "smoke police"??
You ought to be worrying about your own health if you're going around doing stupid things like that. Smoking is going to kill *you*.

Tinton

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2007 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TintonSend a Private Message to TintonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wiley90:

You are the most un american ******* I have come across in a while. Why don't you just go and wrap your self in your gay rainbow and die! You are a piece of garbage.

That was seriously uncalled for. I really hope you're just kidding around.

[This message has been edited by Tinton (edited 01-22-2007).]

Tinton

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2007 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TintonSend a Private Message to TintonDirect Link to This Post

Tinton

4381 posts
Member since Feb 2005

Originally posted by randye:

Smoking around kids is a good thing to do at all, but who appointed *you* the "smoke police"??

Smoking is neglect, and it is abusive to the children. I had to put up with my Mom's chainsmoking for about 15 years until I learned better, and I learned that I had a choice in breathing that kind of **** .

I guess if that Dad was beating the **** out of his kids, and spookything stuck up for them, you'd still ridicule him for being the "police"? Nice, I'm all for more freedoms, but not at the expense of the rights of other people.
spookything

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2007 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spookythingClick Here to visit spookything's HomePageSend a Private Message to spookythingDirect Link to This Post
Well, generally children do not have much chance to stand up to abusive parents. So that is the job of the rest of society. I have before and would again get in the way of an abusive parent, without a single thought to my own safety. Kids are worth it even the brats. I just hope I never ever have the "opportunity" again.

Not only are there health issues with second hand smoke, there is the issue of influencing young minds into taking up a habit that no one has ever come up with a good reason for. "I like smoking" is the best I have heard.

As I said, smoke away, just not in my space. And not in the space of someone who can't speak up for themselves.

If you must smoke in my space, may I fart a moist and smelly one in yours? Grin

I am pretty sure It would be best If I continued farting in my space, smokers should smoke in theirs, and we all can meet up at the various meets and shows all around and keep our various pollution to our respective selves

Once again rant mode over.

Rick
Newbfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2007 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NewbfieroSend a Private Message to NewbfieroDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Newbfiero (edited 02-05-2009).]

wiley90

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-23-2007 05:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wiley90Send a Private Message to wiley90Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tinton:

That was seriously uncalled for. I really hope you're just kidding around.

Sorry tinton,by the looks of your avatar you must be homosexual. I am not trying to piss off the gay's, Every one need's to start to stick up for their right's. I am not even a smoker but, if I was and could not even smoke in my own car I would think that I was in some communist state.
Wake up people before all our right's are taken away.
PFF
System Bot
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2007 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tinton:

Smoking is neglect, and it is abusive to the children. I had to put up with my Mom's chainsmoking for about 15 years until I learned better, and I learned that I had a choice in breathing that kind of **** .

I guess if that Dad was beating the **** out of his kids, and spookything stuck up for them, you'd still ridicule him for being the "police"? Nice, I'm all for more freedoms, but not at the expense of the rights of other people.

Tinton,
I don't think you are understanding me, or my rather crude way of putting it was misleading.
Let's step through this one point at a time.

1. Both you and spookything have engaged in what could best be termed as both factual error and a logical fallacy.
You stated, (as quoted above), "Smoking is neglect, and it is abusive to the children." In a legal sense, this simply is not true. While you personally find it offensive, I don't know of jurisdictions
where this conduct is presently a crime in the nature of child abuse or neglect, no matter how much *you* might think that it should be. Your comparison to intervening a physical beating of children
and smoking around them is a logical fallacy. Again, while you personally may find it reprehensible, A does not equal B in this instance. Simply put, one is a crime, the other is not.

2. I didn't "ridicule" anyone. The question, while clearly rhetorical in nature, went to his having no authority in the matter. He is not legally empowered to interfere.
His actions would likely be harrassment under the law, and would be assault if physical in nature. In short, he likely committed a crime, no matter how "noble"
he may have believed his actions to be.

3. I am not arguing *for* smoking around children. I just want to make that clear. I shouldn't have to, but just to forestall an ad hominem attack, I will.

4. My comment regarding his having "a mud hole stomped in his ass" by the man he harrased was in the nature of a warning, not support for his eventual fate if he continues such
misguided, (and illegal), behavior.

5. "I'm all for more freedoms, but not at the expense of the rights of other people." (your quote).
What about a person's right not to be harrassed by someone? Neither you nor spookything have any "right" to harrass or interfere with anyone engaged in peaceful, legal conduct.
Any "rights" of children in this matter are purely constructs of your or spookything's own mind. Again, seeing something that *you* think is wrong, (and while many of would probably
agree), does not necessarliy constitute any sort of violation of someones, (children's), legal rights in this particular instance.

I'm personally appalled at the eagerness of some people to violate a smokers legal rights. Do you engage in the same "stand up for the rights of the children" behavior when you see a parent give a child a sugar filled soda or candy to rot their teeth or *GASP*, make them obese or put them at risk of diabetes?

Where are you modern day Gladys Kravitzs' going to draw the line?

U.S. Justice Thurgood Marshall is quoted as saying: "Your rights end where my nose begins"
Rather than the obvious *smoke* reference I expect you might make about Justice Marshall's quote, I suggest you ponder it further.

Best Regards,

Randy
spookything

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2007 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spookythingClick Here to visit spookything's HomePageSend a Private Message to spookythingDirect Link to This Post
Randy,

You may be right about the laws in your area, I do not know.

I may be guilty of harassment for telling a guy in a smoke filled car to but out for his kids' sake, but I'll take it. If said smoker wants to try and "stamp a mud hole in my ass", he is welcome to try. After the initial physical assault, I am in a self defense situation, regardless of what was said earlier. Then it is a matter of which one of us is better trained, better armed, or in better health.

It is attitudes such as yours that call for legislation that makes it illegal to smoke outside of designated areas. It is illegal for me to drink and drive because I may hurt someone else. Smoking just takes longer. It seems as though law makers agree.

http://www.breitbart.com/ne...01/09/D8MHRQEO1.html

http://www.boston.com/news/...children_1168036676/

It is also interesting to note that it appears to be possible to sue your smoking neighbour:

http://tclconline.org/docum...is_schoenmarklin.pdf

And once more I bring up farting; I really like the sense of relief and satisfaction that letting a nice big moist smelly one rip. I do not do it in public. I do not do it in a car when anyone is around. I have never heard that second hand farts cause any diseases, but others tend to find them unpleasant, so I only fart when I will not disturb anyone. That is merely courtesy and common sense. There are plenty of more natural things than smoking that are not acceptable in public or around children, I do not hear anyone bitching because they are not allowed to have sex in public.

All in all, once again, smokers, have at it, just use courtesy and common sense. Smoke away from anyone not legally allowed to smoke. Do it away from those who are legally allowed to smoke but choose not to, unless they expressly tell you it is fine. What I am saying is merely manners and common sense. If manners and common sense do not keep your habits in line, eventually laws will. Quit your belly aching about eroding freedoms. This is a case of people too stubborn to be courteous, causing laws to be needed.

As for the initial question, does it anger me to see someone alone in their car smoking? Not at all. I do not care, as long as the windows are closed and it does not get into my car or space.

Rant mode on full

Rick
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2007 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spookything:

Randy,

You may be right about the laws in your area, I do not know.

I may be guilty of harassment for telling a guy in a smoke filled car to but out for his kids' sake, but I'll take it. If said smoker wants to try and "stamp a mud hole in my ass", he is welcome to try. After the initial physical assault, I am in a self defense situation, regardless of what was said earlier. Then it is a matter of which one of us is better trained, better armed, or in better health.

It is attitudes such as yours that call for legislation that makes it illegal to smoke outside of designated areas. It is illegal for me to drink and drive because I may hurt someone else. Smoking just takes longer. It seems as though law makers agree.

http://www.breitbart.com/ne...01/09/D8MHRQEO1.html

http://www.boston.com/news/...children_1168036676/

It is also interesting to note that it appears to be possible to sue your smoking neighbour:

http://tclconline.org/docum...is_schoenmarklin.pdf

And once more I bring up farting; I really like the sense of relief and satisfaction that letting a nice big moist smelly one rip. I do not do it in public. I do not do it in a car when anyone is around. I have never heard that second hand farts cause any diseases, but others tend to find them unpleasant, so I only fart when I will not disturb anyone. That is merely courtesy and common sense. There are plenty of more natural things than smoking that are not acceptable in public or around children, I do not hear anyone bitching because they are not allowed to have sex in public.

All in all, once again, smokers, have at it, just use courtesy and common sense. Smoke away from anyone not legally allowed to smoke. Do it away from those who are legally allowed to smoke but choose not to, unless they expressly tell you it is fine. What I am saying is merely manners and common sense. If manners and common sense do not keep your habits in line, eventually laws will. Quit your belly aching about eroding freedoms. This is a case of people too stubborn to be courteous, causing laws to be needed.

As for the initial question, does it anger me to see someone alone in their car smoking? Not at all. I do not care, as long as the windows are closed and it does not get into my car or space.

Rant mode on full

Rick

"
"It is attitudes such as yours that call for legislation that makes it illegal to smoke outside of designated areas."

When did I advocate that? Can you show me?... ...Didn't think so.

"It is illegal for me to drink and drive because I may hurt someone else. Smoking just takes longer."

That's an absurd analogy and I think you know it.

"It seems as though law makers agree."

A single city ordinance in Bangor Maine and a PROPOSED law in Hartford Connecticut is hardly a "ground swell" of support my friend.

"It is also interesting to note that it appears to be possible to sue your smoking neighbour:"

You're happy about that I guess? You do realize the legal differences between dwellings such as condos and detatched single family homes right? The fact that you failed to mention the word *condominium* and only said "neighbour" might lead one to think that you would happily advocate litigation against your neighbor no matter the circumstance. I'd say you might want to become familiar with the term "vexatious litigant" if you plan on pursuing that route.

"And once more I bring up farting;"

You do seem to be fascinated with that subject.
Newbfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2007 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NewbfieroSend a Private Message to NewbfieroDirect Link to This Post
Sorry This should in the Trash Can if it would be me ,the longuer it last the worst it get lol
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2007 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
" This was not meant to be about anyones rights, I hate smokers, or anything like that. Just about smoke damaging the interior of the car. "

WHOA! I did not mean to phrase it so poorly, i thought you guys would understand.

I was LISTING things this WASNT about. I do not hate smokers at all. Hope that clears some stuff up.
Newbfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2007 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NewbfieroSend a Private Message to NewbfieroDirect Link to This Post
Oh no this tread didn,t have to come back on ,it was going away just fine lol Aw well

Edit I met to say it has come to a close to me ..Rob

[This message has been edited by Newbfiero (edited 01-28-2007).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock