Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Black Betty Build! (Page 4)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 
Previous Page | Next Page
Black Betty Build! by BobadooFunk
Started on: 08-28-2006 04:50 PM
Replies: 528
Last post by: Formula on 07-01-2007 12:24 AM
Falcon4

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 161
User Banned

Report this Post11-27-2006 04:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon4Click Here to visit Falcon4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Falcon4Direct Link to This Post
Holy Christnuggets!! Those vacuum pipes are METAL! Wow. That must have cost you one vital organ... I'd kill to have a set of those. LOL!

I love the place you put your EGR solenoid. Mine was assembled where the edge of it was nearly scraping on the belts! I might have to look around for a better place for it. If yours works, then... wow. I'm pretty sure it wasn't designed like that...?

Also, it looks like your injector harness is on backwards!! It should have the connector facing the thermostat housing, not the distributor... I dunno if it's just stretched over there or what. Also... it might have done you some good to check out those injectors and make sure they were OK... my engine was running crappier than hell with one injector being borked up (missing its needle in the tip). Check to see if they all have their needles if you're not too far into it

Noticed your new head gaskets looked one metric ass-ton better than mine do... yours are blue, mine are... black. What kind are they and how many children did you have to sell to acquire them?

------------------

'87 Fiero GT, Automatic, 153k miles, stock everything, just trying to make it all work again. :D
IP: Logged
TrotFox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2006 05:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrotFoxSend a Private Message to TrotFoxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BobadooFunk:

well so far i think ill have those parts soon due to staphsformula! if anyone can give her a + plz do!!

Done!

Trot, the helpful, fox...
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2006 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Falcon4:

Holy Christnuggets!! Those vacuum pipes are METAL! Wow. That must have cost you one vital organ... I'd kill to have a set of those. LOL!

I love the place you put your EGR solenoid. Mine was assembled where the edge of it was nearly scraping on the belts! I might have to look around for a better place for it. If yours works, then... wow. I'm pretty sure it wasn't designed like that...?

Also, it looks like your injector harness is on backwards!! It should have the connector facing the thermostat housing, not the distributor... I dunno if it's just stretched over there or what. Also... it might have done you some good to check out those injectors and make sure they were OK... my engine was running crappier than hell with one injector being borked up (missing its needle in the tip). Check to see if they all have their needles if you're not too far into it

Noticed your new head gaskets looked one metric ass-ton better than mine do... yours are blue, mine are... black. What kind are they and how many children did you have to sell to acquire them?

luckily, the gasket set was a donation...

and the SS vaccum lines were one of the FEW things i let myself spend $$ that i needed on... $130.. but theyre hard to find, and break easily.. gotta remember, this is a MASSIVE budget/free rebuild as i am B-r-o-k-e!
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2006 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
OK! worked on the car for around 4 hours tonight. got a lot of misc. done, but no pix cause i dont have batteries!!

NEEDS!

Alternator
Exhaust Manifold Gaskets
Thermostat housing cap
socket for cold start injector sensor
oil pressure sending unit connector
map sensor
dogbone hardware
6mm socket
pos + neg batt cables
wire from coil to distributor
coolant hose clamps
exhaust heat shields (all that touch manifolds)

also need to know how to connect my tranny up to gear selector...when i move it, its free...

so if you got any parts laying around, i sure could use em... and alot of these are a dollar or less shipping... so ill cover it this list is also for me.. a few things i need new.. alternator..thermo cap..etc but if you do have an unused new whatever laying around....
stephsformula

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2006 02:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stephsformulaSend a Private Message to stephsformulaDirect Link to This Post
I also have extra map and thermo housing cap.Will get you the dog bone hardware tomorrow when I pick up the mounting hardware for coil. Oh yeah I also have the coil to dist. pigtail. I will send all that and the front manifold and vapor can on thurs as long as the prior discussed shipping has been sent to paypal so that I can ship it.S
aji

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2006 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ajiSend a Private Message to ajiDirect Link to This Post
cool
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2006 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Falcon4:

No need for wetworks. Just call Rodney Dickman.
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2006 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
why do you need a 6MM socket? if your trying to connect the wiring harness by the battery, for some reason its a 1/4" socket or 6.5MM dont have a clue why GM did that, but i always use a 1/4" 6 point socket on it and it fits fine.

matthew
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2006 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by m0sh_man:

why do you need a 6MM socket? if your trying to connect the wiring harness by the battery, for some reason its a 1/4" socket or 6.5MM dont have a clue why GM did that, but i always use a 1/4" 6 point socket on it and it fits fine.

matthew

either way i need that

shawnkfl

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2006 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnkflSend a Private Message to shawnkflDirect Link to This Post
Exhaust Manifold Gaskets - got 'em
Thermostat housing cap - got it
6mm socket - got one (i have a 1/4" for you)
exhaust heat shields (all that touch manifolds) - only have one, the large one for the firewall maniflold

edited this to show the ones i DO have...

[This message has been edited by shawnkfl (edited 11-29-2006).]

stephsformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2006 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stephsformulaSend a Private Message to stephsformulaDirect Link to This Post
Heres a pic of what I have for you minus the manifold. I still need to dig that out.S.

PFF
System Bot
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2006 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stephsformula:

Heres a pic of what I have for you minus the manifold. I still need to dig that out.S.

ah, i have that heatshield, but there are 2 smaller black metal brackets that connect that to ing coil..

stephsformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2006 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stephsformulaSend a Private Message to stephsformulaDirect Link to This Post
Oh sorry. Yeah I got that too.S
Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2006 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post
free bump to the top
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2006 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
ok this is how she sits at this exact moment! Christmas and Alex getting a Fiero are taking all my funds but im just wating on some parts and i think ill be really close..

some basics..

just waiting for 2 packages, then i should get alot more done!
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2006 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post

BobadooFunk

5436 posts
Member since Jun 2003
o yes, where do these hoses connect to ?
top one, and back bottom 2

and i also need info+pix on connecting tranny cables..
Newbfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2006 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NewbfieroSend a Private Message to NewbfieroDirect Link to This Post
A bump for you hard work
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2006 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Stuff a rag into those open manifolds. You never know when something might crawl or fall into them.
Richjk21

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2006 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Direct Link to This Post
the top one looks like it attaches to the big tube on the firewall that was abandoned in place by one of the recalls, if the recall was never done, it may still serve a function for you. The one ones on the bottom are the remnants of the soft lines between the hard line junction block and AC compressor. Between thuse 2 lines you should see a 10mm bolt that holds the fitting and those 2 lines to the block, the hoses used to go to the AC muffler and then another block that bolts to the rear of the AC compressor. With those lines hacked off and everything open for who knows how long your system is probably pretty well contaminated, are you planning on trying to get functional AC back, or not. If you are you'll probbaly need some serious system flushing and component replacement, if not .... no harm no foul.
shawnkfl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2006 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnkflSend a Private Message to shawnkflDirect Link to This Post
i sent a box out today for you. who knows how long it will take to get to you this time of year...

just a note. the manifold gaskets are protected between cardboard. don't use a long blade to open them with. just cut the tape on one end and pull them out. they should make it to you in one piece (i hope)!

the socket is in there and an adapter for 1/4-3/8 drive (didn't know if you had one and i have many)

the thermostat cap is in there if you can use it. it's used but looks pretty good to me.

and i threw in a brand new set of plug wires i had lying around. they aren't in the original box but i know they came from advance auto. i had them installed but decided to do a 3.4 swap before i even started the car with them on. i want yellow ones now so these are free to you!

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and everyone!
fierohoho

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2006 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Stuff a rag into those open manifolds. You never know when something might crawl or fall into them.

Just what I was thinking, a paper towel in each opening.

Nice work going on here also.

Steve
PFF
System Bot
cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2006 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BobadooFunk:

o yes, where do these hoses connect to ?
top one, and back bottom 2

Top one is normally fresh air for the pcv system but on most cars it has been plugged on the air cleaner can. It now runs from a nipple off of the large black rubber air intake hose from the air cleaner can to the throttle body. If you have the air intake hose and it does not have the nipple in it then you may need to use the upper hose in the picture.

the lower two hoses are the freon lines from the condensor. these will only be needed if you want a/c.
Richjk21

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2006 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Direct Link to This Post
isn't that what I said ?

Originally posted by cptsnoopy:

Top one is normally fresh air for the pcv system but on most cars it has been plugged on the air cleaner can. It now runs from a nipple off of the large black rubber air intake hose from the air cleaner can to the throttle body. If you have the air intake hose and it does not have the nipple in it then you may need to use the upper hose in the picture.

the lower two hoses are the freon lines from the condensor. these will only be needed if you want a/c.

BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2006 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
nope no ac, no worries! today im helping Alex with her car, just waiting on parts now

i did have the interior lights on once! (it was a small step, but it made me happy!)
Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2006 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaDirect Link to This Post
I think the gaskets were felpro.

Its looking good! Did you find a 1/4 inch socket yet? I have a bunch of them laying around, so I could let you borrow one.
cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2006 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Richjk21:

isn't that what I said ?

sorry, was sleeping on the job!
shawnkfl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2006 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnkflSend a Private Message to shawnkflDirect Link to This Post
did my box get there yet?
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2006 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
things recieved today!

YAY!! now i can do SOME work.. id like to get an alternator before i do to much on the trunk side.. but i need $$ for that and the holidays plus Alex's eyes.. (glasses+contacts..) drove me broke... so im going to do what i can tomorrow.. then i have to wait for more funds..

[This message has been edited by BobadooFunk (edited 12-21-2006).]

shawnkfl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2006 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnkflSend a Private Message to shawnkflDirect Link to This Post
cool. looks like the gaskets made it without getting crushed/bent. i was worried about that.
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2006 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
well im off to Buff NY today to spend the holiday with family!

ill be back tues night... then if the weather permits... im going to get my arse back to that car!
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2006 03:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
ok i was between 2 Fieros for a few hours today

but for betty i just mainly wanted the wiring harness as much completed as possible, then tightened as many loosened bolts as i could basic stuff..

turned the key a bit and hear fuel pump kick on and int lights go on! yay! but then there was fuel all over i had forgot the fuel lines.. still need a decent cresent wrench set..i miss my set that was stolen... was the ratcheting kind...great for tight spots.. but i used an adjustable to do what i could.. good thing the fuel came out though... blech... need to get all of that outta there..

im holding off on the exhaust manifolds due to high reccomendation of felpro gaskets with metal ring...

i also still need a new alternator... but have to wait till i can afford it... hell i cant even afford wrenches or a few sockets i need..

anyways! i still need info+pix about hooking up this auto tranny cable!

[This message has been edited by BobadooFunk (edited 12-31-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
jetman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2007 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
BobadooFunk, didn't read all of this, might be a repost but use some studs and nuts on those exhaust manifolds. Personaly I don't agree with the shields but those look to be in very good shape, get the manifolds flat sanded so you will hopefully avoid gasket blow out in the future. IIRC the shield goes against the block followed by the felpro gasket then manifold. Make sure that all surfaces are clean, brake clean works well and I used some copper spray to get the parts to adhere well. You can read up on exhaust manifold gasket replacement while you're waiting on your new felpro gaskets.
Good luck on your project.
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2007 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
updated needs..

Alternator
Exhaust Manifold Gaskets (new ones w/metal ring)
socket for cold start injector sensor
oil pressure sending unit connector
map sensor
dogbone hardware
trunk side exhaust manifold
Emc209i

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post01-02-2007 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
Check your Pm's

[This message has been edited by Emc209i (edited 01-02-2007).]

stephsformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2007 05:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stephsformulaSend a Private Message to stephsformulaDirect Link to This Post
I believe you already have map, dog bone hardware, and trunkside manifold from me so maybe should take em off the list.S.
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2007 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stephsformula:

I believe you already have map, dog bone hardware, and trunkside manifold from me so maybe should take em off the list.S.

i dont think i got em ill triple check today.. but whats in that picture is all i got...

except trunk side manifold! i got that!! i meant to write i need trunk side exhaust manifold HEAT SHIELD !! DUR!! my fault

but i do appreciate what you sent me and felt bad asking for the other things.. thanks again!
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2007 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
ah yes ALSO!

i need a picture, and i think the bracket also, of where the auto tranny cable hooks up to tranny..
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2007 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Rodney Dickman sells the exhaust manifold studs.
Also, I wouldn't bother using the heat shield that goes between the head and the forward exhaust manifold. With no gasket and only metal to metal contact, it's prone to leak. It's primary function is to prevent an oil leak from the valve cover from dripping down onto the catalytic converter. If that's a concern, keep it, but if I had it to do over, I'd either omit them or cut holes in them for the manifold to go through so you had nothing but manifold-gasket-head where it bolts up.
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2007 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Rodney Dickman sells the exhaust manifold studs.
Also, I wouldn't bother using the heat shield that goes between the head and the forward exhaust manifold. With no gasket and only metal to metal contact, it's prone to leak. It's primary function is to prevent an oil leak from the valve cover from dripping down onto the catalytic converter. If that's a concern, keep it, but if I had it to do over, I'd either omit them or cut holes in them for the manifold to go through so you had nothing but manifold-gasket-head where it bolts up.

yea i have those studs from him already

and i think ill just do head/gasket/manifold, then later on ( i already have it schematiced out in my head) get some shet metal and make my own that bolts on the outside of the seal...

also, production is on hold due to weather the garage the car is in is crap... lets just say when its snowing outside, its snowing in the garage too....

[This message has been edited by BobadooFunk (edited 01-10-2007).]

Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2007 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post
bump, any progress?

any needs?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock