Started on: 12-11-2006 11:41 AM
Replies: 30
Last post by: FastFieros on 12-15-2006 10:52 PM
FastFieros

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 265
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2006 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post
Finally have my mind back on my work these days. What better way than to complete an engine swap project.

Greg's car came to me with a 3800NA installed. It was done by a company no longer in business, and the install was less than Greg's expectations. So, out with the 3800NA 5 speed powertrain, and in with a 3800SC mated to a 4T65eHD transmission. Project goal was the usual, keep it clean and simple...

It is a 308 rebody on a 1985 GT Fiero chassis. The 3800SC is from a 2001 Bonniville. The wiring is equal to my custom work done in 2003 for another project I had done for myself. I dont usually go to this wiring extreme.

Enjoy the pics... the project page is here with more details and pics > http://www.fastfieros.com/projects/greg308/greg308.htm

The OLD engine install !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loyde

[This message has been edited by FastFieros (edited 12-11-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
87FieroGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2006 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroGTSend a Private Message to 87FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
Looks great Loyd. Glad to see your back in the game.

------------------
----------------------

northeastfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2006 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroDirect Link to This Post
Nice install there Loyde first class job as usuall
Carl

[This message has been edited by northeastfiero (edited 12-11-2006).]

normsf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2006 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for normsfClick Here to visit normsf's HomePageSend a Private Message to normsfDirect Link to This Post
Hello Wow just beautiful. Very nice work as always. Thanks Norm

------------------
Norm Vandermee

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2006 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Eah--Whats is there left to say that I havent already said about the other swaps you have done. Clean and neat as usual and I bet the owner is excited to have it.
84fieroswap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2006 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fieroswapSend a Private Message to 84fieroswapDirect Link to This Post
wow nice job.

brian
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2006 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
Looks great Lloyd and you just got to love those swaps where all the emissions are removed to make less wiring needed and those after market fuel rails for hiding the rest of the wires behind. Dan

------------------

Signature compliments of F-I-E-R-O
2003 3800SC series II powered
www.photosled.com/showgallery.php/cat/631

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2006 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
God dang that's clean, I don't know how you do it with hidding the wiring of these swaps, But you do it very very well loyde.
FastFieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2006 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post
Just lots of thought and building racecars in the past.... Thanks for the kind words...

How about the rear exhaust on this car. It just flows so well with the lines of the car...

Underside is getting a cleaner look these days also...

Loyde
DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2006 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Direct Link to This Post
Really clean look..... You did a great job hiding the wires. 1000% improvement on the old swap.
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2006 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
other than the dirt ground, the car and swap looks great> Take some pics next to that house in the background
PFF
System Bot
JohnF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2006 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnFSend a Private Message to JohnFDirect Link to This Post
Looks great, Loyde. I wish you had brought it to the Christmas party. We missed you.
RandomTask

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2006 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskDirect Link to This Post
Looks great Loyde!
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2006 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Whats with the 2/2.5 inch intake tubing? The stock gtp setups had 3 inch intakes the were extremely restrictive, most of the race minded 3800's I see have 4 inch intakes.
seabee1678

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-12-2006 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seabee1678Click Here to visit seabee1678's HomePageSend a Private Message to seabee1678Direct Link to This Post
This is one of the cleanest swaps i have ever seen. On top of the engine and on the bottom of the engine.The owner should be so happy.The driveability and quickness should be their with the 4T65Ehd transmission ! What a great job. Robert Sellers seabee1678
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2006 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Yep looks like it is starving for fresh air. Hey Loyde, I have a 4" rubber 90* hose if you want it. ( build the rest yourself)

And what is the "layout" on that exhaust? Same as the usual set-up? flowmaster?
CC Rider

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2006 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderDirect Link to This Post
Glad to see you still putting out :^) great stuff down in Texas

------------------
Red 1988 GT 5 speed
Poly all around, Koni's & Lowered

FastFieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2006 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Whats with the 2/2.5 inch intake tubing? The stock gtp setups had 3 inch intakes the were extremely restrictive, most of the race minded 3800's I see have 4 inch intakes.

Ryan.... that is 3.110 inches of a mandrel bend tube hanging out of that 3800SC throttle body....making it a 3 inch ID tube on that car.

Loyde

[This message has been edited by FastFieros (edited 12-13-2006).]

FastFieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2006 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post

FastFieros

2698 posts
Member since Nov 2000

Originally posted by revin:

Yep looks like it is starving for fresh air. Hey Loyde, I have a 4" rubber 90* hose if you want it. ( build the rest yourself)

And what is the "layout" on that exhaust? Same as the usual set-up? flowmaster?

The customer has the car registered as a "kitcar"... No emission testing in his state. Per customer requests, I build them the way they want them.

Kevin, that is a 3.8 stock pulley on that SC, I am pretty sure that it is getting all the air it needs.

Exhaust is ceramic coated.... paint on the muffler and downpipe area..

Loyde

DjDraggin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2006 04:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DjDragginSend a Private Message to DjDragginDirect Link to This Post
Sigh.. looks soooo good.. My poor car.. LOL Maybe one day it'll see the road again. It woulda been done already I'd figure had I not went and bought a big ass house instead.. lol Where are my prioritys?? LOL

Loyde dont forget me bud. I did just get word back from Purpreign about the mounts being ready but why bother if im so far from ready to resume work. House is sucking up all my play cash faster then its coming in. I hope to maybe cross fingers work on it again this year. I might end up selling the 308 kit and just finish the 87 GT. Stuffs just so crazy right now fireos are the last thing on my mind. But DAMN seeing that car makes me reall miss mine! It was so close then crash bang opps.. Oh well such is life. Kepp up the killer work!!

------------------

Ferrari 308 GTB rebody on a modified 86SE chasis Soon to have a highly hooped up 3800SC..Ohh yeah baby!! I like a lil Whine with my meal when I go out to eat Rice
Contacts _ AIM / Zildjianfx _ Yahoo / djdraggin
Remember, always brush your milk, drink your teeth, dont do sleep and get eight hours of drugs.

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2006 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FastFieros:

Ryan.... that is 3.110 inches of a mandrel bend tube hanging out of that 3800SC throttle body....making it a 3 inch ID tube on that car.

Loyde

Hmm, that coupler is quite deciving, but I see how it is 3inch now.

Ok so why is the exhaust 2.5 inches still? I guess if it is stock its ok to have the 2.5 but I am still convinced that the tight curves involved in trunk on 3800 exhausts is alot more restrictive than the stock downpipes, think Ubend, but closer to the outlet.

Not harassing, just wondering why, I really do like the looks of everything, you really do inspire me to do all of my work. BTW my name is Scott, Ryan is darth fiero.

------------------
[16:58] davepettinelli: mine's got a court-apponted psychiatrist
[16:58] davepettinelli: yay girls
[16:59] GTPimpin: mine whines alot
[16:59] GTPimpin: her name is fiero

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/072877.html

PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2006 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Ok so why is the exhaust 2.5 inches still? I guess if it is stock its ok to have the 2.5 but I am still convinced that the tight curves involved in trunk on 3800 exhausts is alot more restrictive than the stock downpipes, think Ubend, but closer to the outlet.

I am going to say being the motor is stock with the 3.8 pulley still on that the 2.5 exhaust will do the job with no problems. Nothing tight about the curves in the trunk area when using mandel bends, its a very short exhaust and flows very well. I dont see it being anywhere near as restrictive as a stock downpipe or U-bend on the GTP.
3084me

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2006 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3084meSend a Private Message to 3084meDirect Link to This Post

Great work!

His car looks almost identical to mine.

If I were considering doing a 3800SC swap myself, what would a great looking harness like that setup "run me". Just curious. I'm just finishing up a SBC in my 308 now but I want to do a SC swap at some point in another replica.

Also, I prefer stick. Was the problems with his manual just the way it was done by the previous builder or are there some "issues" with the 3800SC and the Getrag??

Fantastic Job. It's been a few months since I've checked out your website and just spen about an hour "wandering around there".
onewicked svt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2006 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for onewicked svtSend a Private Message to onewicked svtDirect Link to This Post
2.5" exhaust is good to 600hp no problems.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2006 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
Loyde,

I would love to see a picture of a white 308 type vehicle with a 3800SC stage III, Getrag 5 speed, and IC. can you get me some photos soon?

Nelson
Chicken McNizzle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2006 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chicken McNizzleClick Here to visit Chicken McNizzle's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chicken McNizzleDirect Link to This Post
Looks good, prolly a HELLUVA lot more reliable than the factory Ferrari stuff - just a questionable location for the coil pack with moisture, road-debris, etc...
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2006 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post
Looks Clean!

Checked out the site, whats the deal with the alternator pulley on the stock NA engine?
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2006 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chicken McNizzle:

- just a questionable location for the coil pack with moisture, road-debris, etc...

Nothing at all questionable about the location of the coil packs. I run mine in the same place(got the idea from Loyde) and my car is a daily driver that gets to go on a 140 mile round trip almost everyday. Thats thru sunny days to pouring down rainy days that tend to flood the side roads going to work. Not once during the heavy rains have I had any issue with them causing me any issue, they are weather packed. As far as road debris hitting them, they are mounted up on the firewall a bit so it would take something coming up to hit them. I have ran over several tire scraps while driving at night that has slammed the underside of my car and so far no damage to the coil packs.
FastFieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2006 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post
I am hoping everyone was curious as to the 'finish' touch..... First off, yet another sucessful install measured by the fact that I put 260 flawless miles on the car. The customer flew in and drove the car home 600 plus miles with zero problems..

NEXT ! Oh, that car is already here

The 'dogbone' solution on this car. I had always wanted to cut the strut tower mess out of the rear area where the dogbone mounted. I knew the rear trunk wall was thick enough for a support structure on a 'stock' 3800sc engine. I dont think I would do this to 325HP type engine, but I have a solution for that also already. Just trying to keep clean and functional.

Loyde

RandomTask

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2006 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskDirect Link to This Post
Loyde. . . touch me. . .
FastFieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2006 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RandomTask:

Loyde. . . touch me. . .

This is music to your hears? Just less then 3 meg for the 56k folks....

http://www.fastfieros.com/projects/greg308/3800scgreg308final.wmv

Or you can view the new larger pics and hear the engine on the install webpage... http://www.fastfieros.com/projects/greg308/greg308.htm

Loyde

[This message has been edited by FastFieros (edited 12-15-2006).]

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock