Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  88GTFormula's 86 Fastback Build-up (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
88GTFormula's 86 Fastback Build-up by 88GTFormula
Started on: 05-01-2006 11:06 PM
Replies: 51
Last post by: 88GTFormula on 07-07-2006 10:59 PM
88GTFormula

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2006 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

Did you happen to work out the foam problem on the front? It looks like you used Dap latex foam. That stuff pretty much sucks as you found out. You need the urethane based foam. It comes out yellow. It's not the greatest, but it is useable.

Bob

Haven't gotten back to that yet... I know what kind your talkin about... I tried them both at the same time (which is where i made my mistake) the dap stuff was underneath the urethane based foam, the dap got wet (dont have garage space) therefor, it shrivled up and got all soggy, and the urethane stuff didnt... I went to sand the urethane stuff and, well... The rest wasnt very pretty.

But when i do get back to it, im not sure if I'll use spray foam... But I'll decide shortly and keep my fingers crossed...

I'm gonna be working nights for atleast a week, so 'll have alittle bit of daylight to do a few things, hopefully nice weather to... We'll see what happens...

I finished that jig to trim the fiberglass, and I believe somehow I'd like to figure out a way to attach the side pieces to it... I'll put it all together tuesday (hopefully) and post a few pictures. The hard part as far as the jig goes will be attaching the sies to it i think.

Keep your fingers crossed, and watch for updates on it.. Im sure its been done this way before, but i've got yet to see it.

~Tim
IP: Logged
88GTFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2006 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post
I do believe I'm going about this all a difficult way, but I think in the end it will be worth it.

I can adjust the plug exactly how i want it and once its perfectly in place, I'll cut enough of the rods off that I can attach my foam pieces on the sides, and from there, clamp the center piece in place, and finish glassing the rest of the mold on the plugs...

Now that i got some roving and inch wide fiberglass tape, this thing should take off once i get the plug and all finished... It took a turn i didnt really expet, or it'd probally be near finished now (but in all honesty, its not too terrible far away from done now... Just a few tedious things and some more fabricating...

Heres a few pictures of the jig pulled the whole way open...

Back of the console:

Front of the console:

On the side:
This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

A few of the rods that will be put in place when thefinal measurements are set (theres 11 rods total):

88GTFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2006 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post

88GTFormula

2721 posts
Member since May 2004
And a few of the goodies I've been waiting on...

(Quart) Vinyl Ester Resin

Meguiars mirror glaze 'high temp mold release wax':

(2 rolls) 100' inch wide fiberglass tape:

and a yard of polyester roving:

and a gallon of epoxy resin, might see more f that on the hood modification (if i can get my hands on some carbon fiber) ut dont cross your fingers too far, I've never worked with carbon fiber... Believe it or not, I havent done too terrible much with fiberglass untill this project. and a few other small ones. I was told theres not much to it, and so far that fact is proven true (on the difficulty level anyhow)

[This message has been edited by 88GTFormula (edited 05-30-2006).]

88GTFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2006 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post
Wonder if 'RockYou' works on PFF

http://apps.rockyou.com/rockyou.swf?instanceid=18748809" quality="high" wmode="transparent" width="426" height="320" name="flashticker" align="middle" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer

nope, but theres a slideshow to enjoy while i keep working on things for this build...

[This message has been edited by 88GTFormula (edited 06-01-2006).]

greengoblin0129

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2006 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greengoblin0129Click Here to visit greengoblin0129's HomePageSend a Private Message to greengoblin0129Direct Link to This Post
any updates ?
88GTFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2006 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by greengoblin0129:

any updates ?

None yet... But i do believe Im making this center console mold the hard way...

I might go about it a slightly diffrent way. At the moment Im looking into making stainless steel door sills (for onto the aero rocker panels) to sell for $125 a set (the stainless is quite pricey) but it'll make a nice set of sills for the aero fieros...

Pics of them will be posted soon (just got alittle stainless to mess with today...

Also looking into another modification... https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/059726.html 'tilting rear clip'

[This message has been edited by 88GTFormula (edited 06-05-2006).]

88GTFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2006 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post
Updates will be coming soon, I've got off untill 7/5 so Ive got alittle time to work on the projects... Working on the hood alittle more at the moment... a few pics will be posted soon. Doing some under hood touch ups... nothing really really interesting (kinda is to me though...)
88GTFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2006 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post

88GTFormula

2721 posts
Member since May 2004
heres a few during pictures...

heres one side semi-trimmed with the dremel... dremel broke so i finished ctting in the dark... Gonna try to start glassing and filling in places tomorrow...

88GTFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2006 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post
im working on the wiper area this morning... pulling a piece off of the lip towards the wipers now... Im hoping to use this to make another piece that extends the top end of the hood to go over the wipers (more aerodynamic) you'll also see something like this on norms front clips...

sorry for the bright pictures...

hopefully the high temp release wax bought works nicely, this is the test...

~Tim

[This message has been edited by 88GTFormula (edited 07-01-2006).]

88GTFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2006 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post

88GTFormula

2721 posts
Member since May 2004
the new wax works great, i'd recommend it to anyone... But since the piece i layed up is on lne layer think, i put it back after i pulled it off... I've gotta get more hardner for my resin and then I lay up a few layers of roving onto the fiberglass layer that i've got now... That oughta stiffen things up... Gotta watch how much i spend on projects now tho... I'm saving up to build a shed so i've got some shelter to do this kinda thing... Im aiming to beat winter, but time will tell... Wish me luck...

the shed i will be building is going to be 3 12'x24' sheds that attach. In the end I'll have a shed that also disassembles and can easily be moved that will be 36' x 24'

Reason im making it so it can be taken down and moved, theres several...
1. if it wasnt mobile, the property wuld have to be re-assesed. and taxes would be raises
2. im avoiding inspections, electrical, framing, fotter inspections, roof inspections etc.
3. im still living at home (helping with bills and all here tho) but eventually i'll be married and have a family of my own and I'll want to take the shed along with me then...
4. incase it ever has to be moved on the property before i move out, it'll be a pain in the butt, but will be possible...

those are the major reasons... But i can keep huge projects like this going without shelter (then i gotta avoid eather and all that, i think you understand where i coming from.)

Id like to have a gambrel roof on the building, this way i can easily have a second level, and can use that to store projects and keep them out of the way or the workshop / garage.

But anyhow, ive gotta wait till BAPS opens so i can get some more liquid hardner...

Something else to look forward to, I'll be making the new plug for the center console soon... (i was going about it a very hard way, so Im going to try again i do believe it wil work est at this approach though) once i get the foam etc, i should be finished with the console in no time... I'll be going at it with a more efficent quicker approach than i did the 1st time. Its all a learning expierence folks. But soon the console will be at the top of my priority list... Once i get back from florida (14th-24th) Im ging to be hitting th center console and the shed full force... Hopefully when i get the center console mold finished I'll be able to sell several to help fund the shed... Time will tell, but be prepared to see a few for sale once Im done with the mold... I've promised atleast 2 people for one, so theres no backing out now...

Hang on for the ride, feel free to ask questions, and enjoy the ride... if your beginning fiberglass / bodywork, Im also just learning, so learn from my mistakes along with me...

Enjoy !

[This message has been edited by 88GTFormula (edited 07-02-2006).]

88GTFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2006 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post
FINALLY, got more time to be tedious with the steering wheel mess.
The fruit of my labor is this result:
This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

The next order of buisness before i get the car inspected and on the road again, etc (aside from the distributer that a friend is rebuilding for me. Is the void here

I was made aware of an accident this car was in by a good friend of mine, who also happens to be the past owner of this fieros son... VortechGT (great guy, awesome fiero hes got as well) anyhow, this fiero was rear ended (to the point there was no rear compartment.) carfax doesnt show this as being a recorded accident. so there was some money exchanged under the table im assuming...

Anyways, theres been a leak issue with the trunk compartment ever since ive know of this fiero... probally close to 6 or 7 years now, so the next thing i'll be looking into after the center console is finished will be rhino lining It'll be durable as well as show worthy in my opinion, im aanxious to see how it'll turn out.
PFF
System Bot
88GTFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2006 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post
well, we'll see if this fixes the problem ive got with the engine...

a rebuilt distributor (i'll get to it eventually... probally after the center console) if that doesnt fix the problem, i'll keep on trouble shooting
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock