Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Another L67 swap and some pics.. Thoughts? (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Another L67 swap and some pics.. Thoughts? by 86fieroEarl
Started on: 03-05-2006 07:58 PM
Replies: 69
Last post by: 86fieroEarl on 07-31-2006 03:34 PM
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2006 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Looking real good !
Need advice? just ask!
IP: Logged
86fieroEarl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2006 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

But then you said you were using OBD2 out of a 97???????

Also, 98 and 97 wiring is SPECIFIC to 97's and 98's 99-02 use the same wiring. 97's have 100% totally differnt wiring then any other L67's as they use the gen1 pcm. 98's and 97's will run fine with the same computer, but the PCM's and harnesses are not interchangeable. 99's use a different MAF sensor, and I think there are a few other minor reasons why they are not recommended to work. I assume that any year wiring/pcm can be programed to work on any year motor, just somthing to keep in mind.

Again, confused about the OBD1 custom chip programming you stated that you needed earlier.

I was going with OBD 1 When I first started this thread, But went to a obd 2 setup because I got a very nice deal on a 4t65e hd Transmission, So I had no choice but to change to OBD 2. The wire harness and computer I'm using is out of a 97 GTP and the transmission is out of a 97 Buick regal with a L67, My engine is out of a 2002 GTP, As for the sensors like the map, TPS, MAF ect is getting wired in using the 97 diagram, So far everything has been the same on the MAP, TPS And MAF.SENSOR.

My wiring is almost complete but I'm puzzled to what input do I hook the fiero tech wire to? Do I splice it into the 53 pinout on the c1 connector Ignition control? Or do I hook it up to the 9 c2 connector that says tach control ?

I ask because on the fiero diagrams, It says hook the white tach wire to the dist or igntion module, So I figure it hooks up to the ignition control wiring, Since that wire goes right to the white wire on the ignition module.

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 04-20-2006).]

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
Well she's in I still need to get the computer programed and some wiring from the fusebox hooked up.

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2006 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post

86fieroEarl

2203 posts
Member since Jun 2002
Another good thing is, Everything is easy to work on with this size engine

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 05-01-2006).]

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2006 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
Well today I got everything together, I had to send my computer in for reprograming, So soon as I get that back I can start her up and take it for a test drive.

While waiting on my computer to get back I decided to make a dogbone mount, My setup uses 5 mounts, 2 tranny mounts, 2 engine mounts using poly mounts and a dogbone mount

I used the old 3800s dogbone and welded some metal together.

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2006 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post

86fieroEarl

2203 posts
Member since Jun 2002
Coilovers

Battery relocation, I used a 2gauge pos battery cable and a 4 guage neg cable and a 2 guage neg cable from motor to frame( for good ground) Im also using a smaller grounding strap for the engine, So this setup uses 2 grounds from frame to engine

new reducer

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 06-11-2006).]

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2006 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post

86fieroEarl

2203 posts
Member since Jun 2002
Back heater hose setup, Autozone sells the hose with the right bends.

Had to use a autozone axle for the HD transmission, This axle came with a rounded (instead of one that had creases) Innertripod, With a little of getting dirty, I was able to assemble the drivers side axle with sucess, Using the newer tripod cups.

Another dogbone view

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 06-11-2006).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2006 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Earl,

Looking good !

Hurry up and get that baby rolling so we can see it at one of the CFF meetings !
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2006 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
What axels did you use? these seems to be a fuzzy area in many threads. I tried using the cup from a 4t65EHD and inserting the inner joint from a Fiero manual tranny as suggested (the part that has the 3 heads with bearings on the tranny side) and it was definitely sloppy and loose, not the right fit. Did I just have a diffrent design joint or was I mis informed?
86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2006 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GT3.4DOHC:

What axels did you use? these seems to be a fuzzy area in many threads. I tried using the cup from a 4t65EHD and inserting the inner joint from a Fiero manual tranny as suggested (the part that has the 3 heads with bearings on the tranny side) and it was definitely sloppy and loose, not the right fit. Did I just have a diffrent design joint or was I mis informed?

What I did was I had to purchase a drivers side axle for a 97 GTP, I took the cup and the spider gear off the 97 gtp axle(part that has 3 heads with bearings) and transferred them onto the drivers side pontiac 6000 axle I needed the 97 gtp boot as well because the 6000s boot was too small. This is what I did for the drivers side 4t65 HD transmission on the 1986 Fiero. using a Reman 97 gtp axle.

The passenger side was very easy (because I already had the passengers HD tripod) I used the axle off a 97 powered vechical with a NA 3800 This axle went together with no major surgery (except for the using the manuel fieros wheel hub tripod onto the 3800s NA axles)

Bottom line is you need the joint from the 3800 axle as well.

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 06-12-2006).]

Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2006 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
This one really nice looking engine and your install is beautifully done. Keep up the good work.
PFF
System Bot
SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2006 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Direct Link to This Post
Looks realy nice with the yellow being so creamy in color but I would have to burn those seats hahahahahaha GO Browns,, yah right, only kidding. I gave up on the Browns in the 80's.
Keep up the great work and wait until you finally take it out. The smile will last for a few days. . SC
fierogt3800

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2006 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt3800Click Here to visit fierogt3800's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierogt3800Direct Link to This Post
interesting fuel line routing

------------------
85 GT, bright blue met. fastback, 18"s, 91' 350 SBC / Muncie 4spd
thread here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/058999.html
85.5 Porsche 944 euro *for sale*
73 VW Karmann Ghia convertible (sold to finish SBC swap)

Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2006 06:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SuperchargedV6:

I would have to burn those seats

Careful, them be fightin' words!! j/k
86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2006 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
sorry about this pic, But I used this to insulate my firewall, This is very hard to work with btw

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2006 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
I got my pcm back from loyde and fired her up yesterday, Ran damn nice and the supercharger whine sounds sweet I still have some bugs to iron out tho (will post them in the tech section if anyone knows) My transmission lines kept popping off as well so im going to have to redo them, My tach does not function either and it idles a bit high on startup (miswire problems) still need to hook up my data cable so I can scan my car with my obd 2 scanner. Need to hook up the transmission shift bracket (need a fiero auto shifter to complete this)

The fuel pump is a bit loud but I can get used to that The flowmaster 80 series sounds extreamly nice on a 3800 sc 2 has a nice growl on WOT. the engine has very nice throttle responce and runs very clean. I still need to hook up my brakes and deal with some stray wires ( The ones on the nuetral safety switch there are like 6 and im guessing they go to the traction control and I can't find them in the diagrams) wanted to take on a drive today but I need to hook up my brakes and fix the tranny lines.

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 06-18-2006).]

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2006 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
Is that a TB spacer I see? What are your thoughts on it?
I know after running my 3800sc the TB fget really hot. Partly from the exhaust crossover and the heat from the SC.

------------------

" DRIVE IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT"

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I am concerned about your MAF tables, using the 97 wiring and pcm setup, the 99+ MAF sensor tables should have been loaded in or you will be seeing very strange performance. The scanner will be very handy when you get it hooked up, scan for any sign of knock retard, LTFT's departing from 0 (after a 20 mins or so of running around), and maybe even O2 readings they should be around very high 800 or low 900.

I can't belive i never caught this thread after you got to swapping stuff, great work, I wont be much farther behind you. Did you go with west coast fiero mounts? I will be making mine, should be fun!. Also curious as to what you did about the shift mechinism, I have some ideas for mine but havent tried any yet.

I just double checked, there is a chance that if the old tables are in there, you will be running very lean, so I would make sure that they are correct or you might find you are missing some pistons after some wide open runs.

[This message has been edited by darkhorizon (edited 06-19-2006).]

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 06:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post

I am concerned about your MAF tables, using the 97 wiring and pcm setup, the 99+ MAF sensor tables should have been loaded in or you will be seeing very strange performance. The scanner will be very handy when you get it hooked up, scan for any sign of knock retard, LTFT's departing from 0 (after a 20 mins or so of running around), and maybe even O2 readings they should be around very high 800 or low 900.

I can't belive i never caught this thread after you got to swapping stuff, great work, I wont be much farther behind you. Did you go with west coast fiero mounts? I will be making mine, should be fun!. Also curious as to what you did about the shift mechinism, I have some ideas for mine but havent tried any yet.

I just double checked, there is a chance that if the old tables are in there, you will be running very lean, so I would make sure that they are correct or you might find you are missing some pistons after some wide open runs.

I fabricated my own mounts for the engine (using the gm poly mounts) And used the stock fiero auto mounts for the HD transmission (my engine sits very level), When I sent my PCM to loyde I had instructions to change the maf tables to work with the 97 pcm,

I only have a obd 2 code reader that only reads generic codes, Im only using that to pinpoint miswires. Still need to get the program for my laptop Until I hook a scanner up to it I really won't know much.

I did pull the plugs after doing a few revs and letting it sit and idle for awhile, The plugs shows no signs of running to hot, So I should be ok with the maf tables and I don't think it's running lean (plugs still looked extreamly good when I pulled them)

The shift bracket will be easy to make when I get time to pull a fiero shift bracket from the junkyard.

proff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffDirect Link to This Post
wow
this is the most interesting thread i have ever seen.
what are the hoses running to and from the Yellow super charger?
Thats the type of supercharger i know.
The other web site I mentioned in another thread were different types
crzyone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by proff:
what are the hoses running to and from the Yellow super charger?

Fuel lines.

Clean looking swap Earl.
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Ok, great idea on checking the plugs, if they are not funky looking than you for sure have a very close fuel table.

If your motor is not stock (and even if it is), I would heavlily suggest putting a scanner on that to look for stuff out of wack, mostly knock, as I have seen new motors blow up shortly after being installed due tovery small errors that cause knock. I can only imagine its easier to make small mistakes when doing a fiero swap also.

Let me know how the stock auto mount ends up working for ya, I was interested in using it myself. What gm poly mounts did you get ahold of? I am maybe looking for a CHEAP alternative to solid mounting, or whatever it is I am doing.

here is a nice pcm scanner program you can mess with. They have a demo available there.

http://www.palmerperformance.com/pcmscan.php
86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post

Ok, great idea on checking the plugs, if they are not funky looking than you for sure have a very close fuel table.

If your motor is not stock (and even if it is), I would heavlily suggest putting a scanner on that to look for stuff out of wack, mostly knock, as I have seen new motors blow up shortly after being installed due tovery small errors that cause knock. I can only imagine its easier to make small mistakes when doing a fiero swap also.

Let me know how the stock auto mount ends up working for ya, I was interested in using it myself. What gm poly mounts did you get ahold of? I am maybe looking for a CHEAP alternative to solid mounting, or whatever it is I am doing.

here is a nice pcm scanner program you can mess with. They have a demo available there.

http://www.palmerperformance.com/pcmscan.php

Yeah, I really really need to hook a scanner up to it, Your starting to scare me about the new engines blowing up shortly after a install. About the engine, I only have a TB spacer, 3.4 pulley and ported headers running into a flowmaster 80 series.

The GM poly mounts are sold at any autozone for 19 buck, I have used them on 3 4.9 swaps and they worked great, The stock fiero autotranny mounting I used on a auto 4.9 and they worked fine.

BTW thanks alot for the link and a + to you for the link.

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post

86fieroEarl

2203 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by ohio86se:

Is that a TB spacer I see? What are your thoughts on it?
I know after running my 3800sc the TB fget really hot. Partly from the exhaust crossover and the heat from the SC.

The TB spacer seems to work ok, The TB really doesn't get too hot (especially as hot as the supercharger)

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post

86fieroEarl

2203 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by crzyone:

Fuel lines.

Clean looking swap Earl.

thanks cryone, Your swap looks nice and is coming along good as well, Seen a full pic of your car and I love the exhaust tips and rims, Makes me wish I went with that style rim.

And a + to you for the brake build thread, Gave me alot of ideas.
paulcal

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paulcalSend a Private Message to paulcalDirect Link to This Post
Fantastic job Earl! Can't wait to see the motor in the car in person and maybe take a lil ride? I'm not sure when Jeff and I will be back down that way but I'm sure it won't be long.

------------------

Project Silver Bullet has commenced. Project Silver Bullet

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2006 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I am all about scanning, that 3.4 could be a bit agressive for just a manifold job, so you are really going to want to check that before any more wide open runs. Running a modded supercharged engine without scanning should be scary!

------------------

Check out my 3800 swap thread and lend your advice!

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/072877.html

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2006 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
Sorry I never posted any updates ( Crazy work hours) But she runs and sounds sweet, I love the supercharger whine this thing makes, The flowmaster 80 series on these sounds pretty nice
Still have not drove the car yet ( Due to it being stuck in my friends backyard) There is a caddy blocking my way LOL, I will beable to drive it next week when the car is out of my way LOL, PLus my scan guage will be here to make sure im not getting any KR.
There was a number of bugs I had to work out as well.

1.) IMC harness had a short in it ( fixed)
2.) Insane idle problem (finally fixed)
3.) Non working tach (fixed with a aftermarket)
4.) Temp guage not working (fixed)
5.) Running pig rich (fixed IMC harness not grounded )
6) Transmission lines busting (fixed with all metal line)

Only thing left is get the fuel guage working, It decided to stop working

The biggest pain in this swap had to be doing the pulley system and Redoing the transmission lines from scratch, The drivers side axle gave me a bit of running around gathering parts as well.

Mods 3.4 pulley so far
TB Spacer ( for future nitrous use)
ported exhaust manifolds
PCM programed by fastfieros
Intense AC delete kit

Future mods
LS1 or northstar TB
Intercooler
3.0 pulley
50 shot nitrous oxide
1.8 roller rockers
Aftermarket headers.
INTENSE™ Nitrous/Blower 3800 Camshafts
Future future future mods (in order on other 3800 sc 2 engine) and probally will be done when im 60 years old LOL
Turbo setup or M112 supercharger
Diamond pistons coated
INTENSE™ Nitrous/Blower 3800 Camshafts
L 32 rods
ARP bolts ( throughout engine)
zzp built transmission
Ported heads
Cometic MLS Head Gaskets
JP Performance Timing Chain Set
75 shot nitrous

I would like to thank all that has helped me on this swap

My friend Donny, For allowing me to work on my car at his house.
Loyde For a nice PCM programing he did for me.
Darkhorizon for some advice and tips.
86GT3.4DOHC
ZZp performance
Intense racing
3800 Forum
jeffndebrus and paulcal
for coming over and assisting in the 4.9 engine pull.

And anyone else I might of forgot about

Here is a site also for everyone that was asking about the TB spacer
http://www.zzperformance.com/downloads/Throttle_Body_Spacer_Study.pdf

I only went with it for 2 reasons
Future nitrousl oxide use
and To help control KR

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 07-21-2006).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2006 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Sweet !

Earl, Come on now you just have to bring that baby out to the next CFF meeting !
86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2006 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
Just got my Aeroforce scan guage, And my 2 ranges colder plugs, And I must say I was happy with the results I got, I had 0 KR, I reved the crap out of it and did not even get a spike of KR, I checked to make sure the Knock sensors was hooked up and working, So I checked for DTCs and the only ones I had was codes due to not having the oil temp wire, alt gen wire hooked up. The MPH worked on this as well So now Im not going to worry about my stupid speedo not working.

The scan guage has a cool look to it as well, It also reads all other types of data, Needless to say Im able to use a 3.4 pulley on a engine with 180 tstat, Ported manifolds,TB spacer, A 3 1/4 inch Open air element filter, 2 ranges colder plugs, 2 1/2 inch dia exhaust going into a flowmaster 80 series, And a fuel pump off a 89 Turbo TA.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock