Started on: 02-16-2006 02:13 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Joe Torma on 02-19-2006 02:34 PM
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2006 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
I was looking at the West Coast Fiero website and noticed that they are selling Haltech ECUs. I went to the Haltech website to read up some more on these. It seems that they are what most of us 3.4 swappers are looking for when it comes to adjusting and controlling how our engines run. Here is a link to the model I am interested in: http://www.haltech.com/e6gmx.htm anyone using one at this moment? If you are, did it just plug right in to the stock wiring as they mentioned and how easy was it to use? Thanks.

------------------

One of the regulars

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 02-16-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Kameo Kid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2006 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kameo KidSend a Private Message to Kameo KidDirect Link to This Post
yeah I'm using one and if I was to do it over again knowing what I know now...... I wouldn't have used theirs. I would have got something that was american friendly or american made, tried and true. Althou they are more monies I'm sure I would have been happier and from the tuning issues I had with mine there are others out there that have better tuning ablities that I would have rather had in my GT.

Just my 2-cents worth. edit: Big Stuff 3 is probably one of the user friendly ones out there....so I'm told by those that know http://w2wpowertrain.com/t-gallery-2.aspx

------------------

still plays with cars..

[This message has been edited by Kameo Kid (edited 02-16-2006).]

fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2006 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
get a megasquirt ecu. they are cheap, and you will learn absolutely everything you could ever want to learn when building one. They are easy to work with, and will control anything you need. A buddy of mine is doing one in a supercharged 4.3L S10 right now. its almost done. really neat project.
avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2006 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
I had seen the Megasquirt one a couple of years back and probably even posted about it. This one is supposed to be plug and play and Windows compatible with a bar graph interface for "easy" programing. I was wondering if they had some sort of base program to help get things going. I'm looking for something that won't be too hard to set up and require the least amount of work to make it function. I don't want to have to build something and have to search for all sorts of connectors to make it work. I also don't care about the price if I can find the right piece of equipment.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 02-16-2006).]

Zac88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2006 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTDirect Link to This Post
Try looking at http://www.sdsefi.com , this is what i'm thinking of using when i turbo my 4.9L, It's nice because you dont need a laptop (it's comes with a special box) and they pre program a baseline setup for you based on engine specs, injector sizes...that way you just have to do the fine tuning. It's a pretty decent price too.
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2006 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
Try using an Autronic. The company was started by the guys that designed Motecs equipment. After a falling out with the bosses they started their own company and produced a product as good as, or if not better than the Motec for less money.
http://www.autronic.com
Mika Ruusuvuori

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2006 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mika RuusuvuoriSend a Private Message to Mika RuusuvuoriDirect Link to This Post
Hi !
I have used E6GM version for 3 years now on my turbo setup and I have had constant problems with my Haltech.
One most irritating problem is the lambda sensor reading, it´s false and it stops at around 755mV (don´t go higher eaven you wood flood the engine.
You just can´t rely anything on it to read anything that makes sense.
I eaven purchased the very expensive wide band lambda but still it reads the values wrong ?
Then we just used an external system to get the car tuned properly on a dyno and when we got fuel maps properly set up, we took the lambda compleately out because it just messes out your fuel economy.
We then thought that this would be a bad unit and send it back to Haltech to be repaired and it came back with the exact same fault. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER HALTECH AGAIN !

ps. If anybody here needs Fiero maps for getting turbo setup with haltech to run, just e-mail me !
Unfortunately you must take in consideration that my setup is quite extreme: 38 libs injectors and the
maps are for 3bar map sensor but by using a littlebit of your brains and doing some calculations, you will be able to get
quite good basic start point from them.

Mika / Finland

avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2006 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the information. I received an email from one of the dealers telling me it should work but that I might have to swap some wires around to make it work. I think I will keep looking for now. Too bad no one makes a smart ECU that can auto tune itself for best performance.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 02-17-2006).]

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2006 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

Too bad no one makes a smart ECU that can auto tune itself for best performance.

Some of them can auto tune with a wideband...I think at least the Autronic and Motec do. Ive researched info about many aftermarket ecu's for my engineswap (L67) More options will cost you, and most ecu's dont use all of the stock sensors (like Maf and Knocksensors) The Megasquirt is a nice concept but you need to be kind of technical to build and adapt it..

Now this is some nice package I found sometime ago: Kalmaker theyre also Aussies Theres a lot of info there. They basically use a stock delco ecm and add some realtime controllerboard to run and (auto)tune all kinds of engines.

MikeW

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2006 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MikeWSend a Private Message to MikeWDirect Link to This Post
I found communication with Haltech discouraging. No US office unless they recently opened one. FAST seems interested in answering questions. You can pick up an earlier design on ebay from a private party and sve some $. Electromotive Tec 2 units are on ebay pretty cheap. They use their own trigger wheel. Tec3 offersa little more. SDS should be user friendly but does not use an Iadle air control like oem. Just a solenoid and an air bleed that you set.
Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2006 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MikeW:

I found communication with Haltech discouraging. No US office unless they recently opened one. FAST seems interested in answering questions. You can pick up an earlier design on ebay from a private party and sve some $. Electromotive Tec 2 units are on ebay pretty cheap. They use their own trigger wheel. Tec3 offersa little more. SDS should be user friendly but does not use an Iadle air control like oem. Just a solenoid and an air bleed that you set.

I have a TEC II, a bit complicated, but is working well for me...note that it hasn't been on the road for any great length of time, but starts quick, runs strong and smooth.

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock