Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Formula’s / GT’s with stock 15’s - What tires are you running?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Formula’s / GT’s with stock 15’s - What tires are you running? by 2000RagTop
Started on: 02-12-2006 01:05 AM
Replies: 15
Last post by: VA RICR-ETR on 02-15-2006 10:20 PM
2000RagTop

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2006 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2000RagTopSend a Private Message to 2000RagTopDirect Link to This Post
Formula’s / GT’s with stock 15’s - What tires are you running?

I’ve decided to stick with the stock size wheels on my Formula. Now I’m looking for tires.
I know everyone has an opinion on the “best tire”

I’m looking for a tire that-
- Good riding tire - low noise
- Wears well
- Summer driving only
- Don’t care if it has great wet traction. I Don’t drive in the rain or snow

What brand tires are you using? And why?

------------------

88GT/Auto/Beechwood Leather/SunRoof/Wing/JVC-CD-Sub-Woofer/225/45/17 Michelin Pilots/All Opts Ex.T-Tops

<<< <<< Pix of my GT / ** Pix of my Formula** / Pix of my Vettes >>> >>>
*** *** *** *** *** * "If you appreciate my contribution, please rate me. Thanks"* *** *** *** *** ***

[This message has been edited by 2000RagTop (edited 02-15-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2006 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
In the stock sizes, there are two tires that immediately come to mind.

Bridgestone Potenza RE950
BF Goodrich Traction TA/H

The RE950 is slightly better, but the TA is about $20 cheaper per tire. I have the RE950s on my Formula, and have been through several sets. They don't wear out fast, have excellent traction and are hands down the BEST wet weather tire I've ever experienced. The Traction TA H-rated (V-rated doesn't come in stock sizes, and the T-rated is a tourting tire) is a comparable tire for a good bit less. LZeitgeist has them on his Formula and he raves about them. I plan on trying them next time I buy stock size tires.

You can read up on both on Tire Rack. You might find cheaper tires, but you'll be hard pressed to find better tires in the stock sizes.

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2006 06:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
265 x 50 x 15 Cooper tires on an 88 Mera
jazz4cash

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2006 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jazz4cashSend a Private Message to jazz4cashDirect Link to This Post
I just got my 1st Fiero one week ago and I am interested in keeping it near stock. Right now, it has goodyear aquatreds that have good tred, but they are TEN YEARS OLD, so I feel kinda creepy driving on them. In my Informal research three tires keep comming up

Bridgestone re750
Goodyear Traction TA
Yokohama Avid H4

I am also looking at the Goodyear Eagle GT- HR just because it's probably closest to the stock Goodyear Eagle GT+4. But it's killing me because when I look at the Aquatred tire, the tred pattern looks great (the Bridgestone is similar), plus its a goodyear (near stock), but its out of production. I don't know the details about these tires and I am skeptical of the user reviews on most of the tire store websites, but I figure I am not gonna drive this car hard, so I want a really great near stock looking tire. Right now I am looking for used Aquatreds !

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2006 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I'm pretty happy with my Federal 595's.

They do real well in water and they are pretty sticky.

------------------

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2006 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jazz4cash:

Bridgestone re750
Goodyear Traction TA
Yokohama Avid H4

The RE750 isn't available in stock sizes.

The Avid H4 compares well with the TA - not as good traction, but better in snow, if that matters, and it's quieter and longer lasting - not to mention cheaper. But that does come as the expense of slightly worse handling on dry and wet pavement. If you needed something for occasional snow, the Avid H4 would be a good choice.

2farnorth

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2006 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post
I got a set of Summit GTs in stock size. I've been pleased with them.

Dave

Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2006 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
I don't have stock wheels, but they're still 15's. I've been running Michelin Pilot XGTs and I love them. The line was canceled and replaced with the new Michelin Exaltos, which are better tires. They come in stock sizes AFAIK.
2000RagTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2006 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2000RagTopSend a Private Message to 2000RagTopDirect Link to This Post
PontiacJ8
From: Clay, New York w/ all the trees & the cars hidden in between!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2006 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacJ8Click Here to visit PontiacJ8's HomePageSend a Private Message to PontiacJ8Direct Link to This Post
BFGoodrich Traction T/A H
Made by Michelin anyway, but at a much cheaper price.
When I purchase aftermarket wheels probably going with BFGoodrich KDW N/Ts
FieroMonkey

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2006 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyDirect Link to This Post
205 60 15 fronts
215 60 15 rears

BFGoodrich

And gotta go white letters

PFF
System Bot
2000RagTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2006 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2000RagTopSend a Private Message to 2000RagTopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMonkey:

205 60 15 fronts
215 60 15 rears

BFGoodrich

And gotta go white letters

Is that the bra I sold you? LOL

------------------

88GT/Auto/Beechwood Leather/SunRoof/Wing/JVC-CD-Sub-Woofer/225/45/17 Michelin Pilots/All Opts Ex.T-Tops

<<< <<< Pix of my GT / ** Pix of my Formula** / Pix of my Vettes >>> >>>
*** *** *** *** *** * "If you appreciate my contribution, please rate me. Thanks"* *** *** *** *** ***

greengoblin0129

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2006 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greengoblin0129Click Here to visit greengoblin0129's HomePageSend a Private Message to greengoblin0129Direct Link to This Post
BFG Radial T/A's
215/65/15 in the back
205/60/15 in the front
Great in the rain, snow, or street

------------------

87GT 5speed, 84SE Auto, 85GT(parts), 85SE 5speed,
86SE 2.8, 86GT 5speed, 87GT auto.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2215614/3

LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2006 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
As was said, I'm running BF Goodrich Traction T/A's, and they're the best tires I've ever had in a quarter-million miles of Fiero ownership.

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com
1988 Red Fiero Formula Convertible
*Desktop Photo Here*

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2006 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by LZeitgeist:

As was said, I'm running BF Goodrich Traction T/A's, and they're the best tires I've ever had in a quarter-million miles of Fiero ownership.

High praise considering most of the tires you've run have been Eagle GT+4, BF Goodrich Euro TA and Comp TA HR4.

We should swap wheels one day and do a back to back comparison. Once we have access to a lift and air tools, that is.

VA RICR-ETR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2006 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VA RICR-ETRSend a Private Message to VA RICR-ETRDirect Link to This Post
I am also using BF Goodrich Traction TA's. 205/60R15 front and 215/60R15 rear. Put these tires on and liked them so much I put them on all my other cars. Good noise quality, hold up well and don't scream on curves, good wet weather handling, and clean up nice. Very good tires in my opinion.

Mileage-wise:

Only put about 1K on the Fiero ones. Look/feel/smell new.
Put 8K on the Grand Am ones. Look/feel new.
Put 20K on the Saturn ones. Feel new, look a little dull at the edges, but the tread still looks near new.
Put 12K on the Grand Prix ones. Look/feel new.

------------------

[This message has been edited by VA RICR-ETR (edited 02-15-2006).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock