Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  History of FieroMaster88's Car! (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
History of FieroMaster88's Car! by FieroMaster88
Started on: 07-06-2004 11:53 PM
Replies: 87
Last post by: fieromadman on 02-09-2006 02:21 AM
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2004 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
Well, with the popularity of these post I figured I should start one! I'm in the middle of about 20 projects on my car right now, so this would be one good thread to post my pictures and progress in! Anyway, back in 2000 I was looking for a car. I was into Fiero's (currently had one then) and had decided I wanted another one. Every Fiero I had owned was a big POS and had needed about everything replaced. I was tired of driving crappy Fiero's, so I decided I wanted a nice one. There was a Fiero posted in the paper, was an 88 coupe with 27K miles for $5500. I decided to go check it out (30 min drive). When I got there I saw a PERFECT red 88 Coupe sitting in the guys driveway. I knew the moment I saw it that I would own the car. It was a 4 cyl auto. I knew I could only spend $4000 because thefts the biggest loan my parents would co-sign on. I told the guy I could only give him $4000, and he said his lowest price was $4250. I told him I would talk to my parents and let him know.

That evening I talked my dad into looking at the car with me. I called the guy and told him we were coming to check it out again, and he told us to come on out. When we got there my dad was amazed at the newness of the car. It still smelled new inside! We sat down with the guy to discus the price. When he told my dad he could only go $4250, my dad said he could only give him $4000, GOT OUT HIS CHECKBOOK and began writing a check out to the guy for $4000. The guy couldnt say no! I didnt even know my dad had his checkbook, and couldnt believe what was happening! After everything was said and done we drove home and I parked it in the garage! Now, before you start thinking my parents bought me the car I should tell you they didnt. They were just helping me out. The next day I went to the bank and got a loan to pay them back! I had to promise I wouldnt modify the car in any way, which they never should have made me do. Anyway, here are some pictures of the car a few days after I brought it home.

------------------

88 Coupe (Currently under the knife)
Soon to have 30* plus 2 more Cylinders of power......

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2004 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
After a while I wanted to mod the car. I know I wasnt supposed to, but hey, it was in my name and was my car! First thing I did was add a BBJ Resin scoop, then a factory spoiler! After that, I decided since it looked quick it needed to be quick. I went to Ohio for a week to visit Craig (The Fieromaster here on PFF) and we installed a 2.8 into my car. In the process I decided a 5 speed would be awesome, so we also converted it to an Isuzu 5 speed. And yes, we got a engine swap from 4 cyl to V6 and from auto to 5 speed done in a week! I have no idea how, but we did it. The car was a blast to drive now! I added a MSD 6a ignition box, and decided on some factory Formula/GT wheels' (black) which I traded my stock 14" wheels for. So now my car is basically a "Formula" minus the rear sway bar.

After about 10-20K miles the 2.8 we put in gave out. I have no idea how many miles the engine had on it, but I bet it was over 100K. I wanted to do an engine swap, but since it was my only car I had to get it done quick. I found a built up 2.8L (bored/stroked to 3.2) for sale here on the forum. This engine had anything and everything done to it, and was ready for nitrous! I bought the engine and ordered nitrous for it. The car really moved after the new engine went in and I got it running good.

Next mods were as follows: Cut springs to lower car, painted calipers red, added rear sway bar.

Then last year I added a bunch more stuff. I was following my friend down the highway on the way to the drag strip. He has a turobcharged Civic, and when he stepped into it his boost spiked to 15PSI, which his engine couldnt take, so it came apart all over my car. My hood ended up getting chipped pretty bad. I had picked up a hood from Hartz (from PFF) which had a cutout scoop deal over the radiator. I got that painted and installed on my car. Shortly after I found an AMAZING deal on some 16" Axis Touring Cup rims in white! They were dirty and needed some touchup, but were only $200 for the set of 4 with useable tires. I cleaned them up and installed them on the car.
This picture is from last years FieroRama!

Over the winter I took my engine apart so I could change the intake manafold gaskets, clean things and paint things. I added a Darrel Morse strut tower brace and some Grand Sport Corvette fender stripes. I also completely went through my interior. I went with a black and dark grey theme. I painted my dash, gauge pod, aux gauge pod, raido surround and shifter surround black. I replaced my carpet on the floor, lower doors, rear deck thing and headliner with black. I added some racing seats in grey and black with some 4 point black racing harnesses. I also added carbon fiber to the faceplated in the car and a factory subwoofer setup. Heres some pictures of it completed!

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2004 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

FieroMaster88

7680 posts
Member since Nov 2000
And now to my current projects. I must have dropped something into my engine when I had it apart this winter, because it burned oil really bad when I started driving it this year. It was very annoying to me, so I took then engine apart. I found 2 cylinders scored deeply, so in order to get rid of the smoking I would need to rebuild the engine. I decided not to dump a bunch more $$ into this engine, instead I would do an engine swap since now the Fiero isnt my daily driver. I was researching engine swaps and decided on a 4.9. I was sent a link to a cheap donor car on ebay (91 DeVille) which was smashed in the rear. The car has 90K miles on it and is in perfect shape. The plus side of it was the car only being an hour away from where I live. I won the Aucution for $560 and went down the following weekend to pick the car up. I've spent the last week getting the engine out of the Cadillac, and this evening finished takeing it apart to swap all the valve covers and reseal the whole engine. I also have a ZEX nitrous kit with purge to put on the new engine! I still need to get some pictures of my progress. I hope to have the car done in the next 2 to 3 weeks, because I really want to drive it. I cant believe how far the car has come along since I got it. I"ll update with progress pictures sometime soon.
roys88fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2004 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for roys88fieroClick Here to visit roys88fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to roys88fieroDirect Link to This Post
Fieromaster: i like your ride man!...........i also like those center guages....where did you get them? NE more pix? that is.......if you dont mind me askin...
-Roy

------------------
I own an original yellow 1988 pontiac fiero GT, (wingless, currently purple) very proud also....Truly is...Driving Excitement!

Matching numbers GT
#17889 of 26,402 made in 1988

[This message has been edited by roys88fiero (edited 07-07-2004).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2004 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Cool thread...keep it coming and more pictures!!!

------------------
If you find my advice useful, then please give me a positive rating, thanks...

1988 GT (Firebird Interior),1988 Coupe (Daily Driver), 1985 SE (Project Car), 1985 Coupe (parts car), Firebird Interior Installation Website

linenoise

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2004 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post
Awsome ride man.
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2004 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
not fair - you are making me crave another project even more
Fierokid87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2004 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Direct Link to This Post
Nice James. your car is really coming along. Looks like you and I both have good projects here.

------------------

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2004 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
Got a little work done today. Got the Caddy engine stripped down so I can swap valve covers and other thigs to the sides they need to be on. I'm also doing some cleaning to the engine and some painting. It's gonna look good when it's done. I also got done installing firewall insulation the other day. Heres a picture of that.

Also, here's a couple pictures of my Nitrous kit which will be used on the 4.9. Man I cant wait to get this engine in and running. Hopefully I can get some pictures of my engine soon.

Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2004 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulDirect Link to This Post
Lookin good my friend!
Can't wait to see and ride in it when it's done.

------------------
Activities Director N.I.F.E.

www.fierofocus.com

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2004 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
Couple more pics of the new interior work.

PFF
System Bot
OutlawFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2004 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OutlawFieroClick Here to visit OutlawFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to OutlawFieroDirect Link to This Post
Nice, your car is looking good. I like how you have added some Nitrous to the 4.9. We have a guy in SD who recently installed a 4.9. They already have real nice torque and with the bottle you will be fast. Good work.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2004 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
New pictures of the engine. Tomorrow the timing cover goes back on with the new gaskets, as well as the new water pump, new oil pan gasket, MSD wires and the accessories. Need to get my Flywheel machine work done so I can get the engine and trans together and on the cradle. Then get the cradle back in the car and the wireing done. Then it's time to get my chip sent out to rockcrawl so it will start! Hopefully 2 or 3 more weeks and I'll be driving again.

Oh, and some painted engine bay pix. I used a textured graphite metalic paint. It looks really good. I'm going to spray the cradle with the same paint.

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 07-11-2004).]

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2004 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

FieroMaster88

7680 posts
Member since Nov 2000
Today I finally finished cleaning, painting and resealing the engine. It's now ready to go into the Fiero. Have to get my flywheel done now, then I'll be mounting the engine an transmission together, then to the cradle. Should have it all in the car and the wireing started by Friday I hope!

Comealongway

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2004 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ComealongwaySend a Private Message to ComealongwayDirect Link to This Post
What kinda seats are those adn do they block the E-break

+ for you, I like what you have done with the car, I am hopefully going to create a thread for my car one day.

Comealongway

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2004 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ComealongwaySend a Private Message to ComealongwayDirect Link to This Post

Comealongway

586 posts
Member since Dec 2002
They look like those Air Dynamic Racing seats

------------------
Calgary - August 1, 2004 Fiero Fiesta
@ SouthCenter Mall

PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2004 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Looking good! Nice clean up job. We could have a show of just 4.9 fiero's in the area soon from Toronto to Mich.

Pete

------------------

linenoise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2004 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post
Love how clean / detailed you have your engine, Wish I could have done mine but time really didn't permit.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2004 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Comealongway:

What kinda seats are those adn do they block the E-break

+ for you, I like what you have done with the car, I am hopefully going to create a thread for my car one day.

Not sure on the brand. I got them from ebay (pair) for $260 shipped. The E-brake is still useable!
Thanks for the compliments!

Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2004 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
NIce Job! Looks great.

------------------
-Chris - Custom Gun Metal 86 GT 3.4 5spd
3.4 SOLD & 4.9 being installed

"It's too low, too rough, too loud, drinks gas, it's totally impractical, but damn good lookin. In other words, It's almost perfect!"
Build up tread or MODS w/ Pics

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2004 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
Well, after the machine shop telling me they couldnt do my flywheel and finding out I didnt have the PCM pulled out I finally have some things going good again! I had to do some major modifications to the donor car to get the PCM out. It's located on the passanger side of the dashboard, which was all smashed because the car went into the tree. I was lucky because somehow the PCM was not smashed! Now I have the chip all ready to go out to Rockcrawl tomorrow! I also found someone who could do my flywheel. I'm now happy, and things are back on schedule somewhat.
PFF
System Bot
Comealongway

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2004 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ComealongwaySend a Private Message to ComealongwayDirect Link to This Post
Ok almost sure that those are those seats i mentioned earlier, did you use the rails they came with or the fiero ones, If you used the fiero ones how did you adapt them?
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2004 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Comealongway:

Ok almost sure that those are those seats i mentioned earlier, did you use the rails they came with or the fiero ones, If you used the fiero ones how did you adapt them?

I used the sliders that came with the seats. Basically bolted them through the floor. Took a lot of work, but was worth it in the end. I think the Fiero sliders would have made the seat sit too high.

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2004 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
Well, I'm still trying to find a place to get my Flywheel done. I'm pretty much at a standstill until I get the thing machined. I sripped my donor car (Cadillac) of anything good today so I can haul it off to the junk yard. I also finished my carpeting job under the front hood and workend on a couple other mods. I'll post some pictures tomorrow of the carpet job.

Edit: Spelling sucks.

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 07-17-2004).]

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2004 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
I did a couple more things this weekend. Carpeted the front trunck area and cleaned/polished my tail lights. I also removed the numbering/lettering from my tail lights.

I might have found a place local to do my flywheel for my 4.9, so maybe I'll have some installed pictures in a week or 2. Wouldnt that be nice.

Krhyme

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2004 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KrhymeClick Here to visit Krhyme's HomePageSend a Private Message to KrhymeDirect Link to This Post
excellent work James!

I'm gonna have to stop by this week and see this in person man! I've been meaning to get over there, but CD release and work has been eating my time... maybe Tuesday night if your not busy?

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2004 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
UPDATE!!!!

The engine is now mounted to the cradle! I've got the wireing harness all sorted out and my chip back from Rockcrawl. I need to buy an oil cooler, fuel line and a remote coolant filler neck, then I will have everything. Things are coming together slowly, but everythings turning out nice. All I have left to do is get the flywheel back and then start assembeling things. Once the cars togehter and running agian I'll sort out the exhaust. Man, I cant wait. Hopefully I'll have it running next saturday.

Heres a picture of my Flywheel! It's awesome isnt it? Hopefully I have it back soon!

linenoise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2004 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

It's quite a drive but I'm really tempted to come over once you have it running so we can have some fun with the local mustangs.

Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2004 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulDirect Link to This Post
Geez, would ya finish the swap already ya slacker! j/k
Seriously; i can't wait to see it James.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2004 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
I just wanted to give an update:

IT RUNS!!!!!!

I have a ton of finishing work to do, such as hooking up the cooling system, exhaust, intake, belt and a few more wires, but it now runs. Wow, is it loud!

Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2004 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
SWEET!!!
PFF
System Bot
Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2004 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
Congrats! Looks great!
Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post08-19-2004 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post
You did get the flywheel I see guess you are happy now ,Black Azz is also at that stage also few odds and end to tie up before it is ready to go kick some butt.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2004 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Master Tuner Akimoto:

You did get the flywheel I see guess you are happy now ,Black Azz is also at that stage also few odds and end to tie up before it is ready to go kick some butt.

Yep, Thanks again! It looked awesome.

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2004 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
Well, got all the coolant hoses hooked up today along with the belt. All it needs now is the timing set so it runs good and the exhaust and I"ll be done. Well, I also need to replace the oil filter adaptor since I cracked mine where the oil cooler line goes into it. Almost there.
MooCow

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2004 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MooCowSend a Private Message to MooCowDirect Link to This Post
Congrats James on all the hard work you have put into your car. Now I need to get my butt down to you and check it out in person.

Thanks Ken

Tigger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2004 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TiggerSend a Private Message to TiggerDirect Link to This Post
Any updates?
Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2004 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
Yea. How bout some installed pics?

------------------
-Chris -
Custom Gun Metal 86 GT 4.9 V8 5spd

Build up tread or MODS w/ Pics

linenoise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2004 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post
Updates we demand updates. Don't make me come over and take pictures and update this thread for you!

------------------

100% USDA Certified
1988 GT Black W/Beechwood Interior & 17" ADR Battle Exe's
Want a 4.9 Installed into your Fiero? PBJ can do it!
My ¼ mile time.
The Cadero Registry.

Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2004 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulDirect Link to This Post
I rode in it in October.
Can you say T-O-R-Q-U-E!
He's gonna get himself in all kinds of trouble with this thing. lol

------------------
Activities Director N.I.F.E.

www.fierofocus.com

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page