Started on: 05-24-2004 09:00 PM
Replies: 66
Last post by: crzyone on 01-07-2006 11:33 PM
Unsafe At Any Speed

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 315
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2004 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Unsafe At Any SpeedSend a Private Message to Unsafe At Any SpeedDirect Link to This Post
Hmm, maybe I should switch from the center console sub position to subs behind each seat. Guess I'll need to get another 10W6v2 and another Kicker 500.2
IP: Logged
Joe23

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2004 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe23Send a Private Message to Joe23Direct Link to This Post
Looks exactly like my setup but I only have one 10" sub behind the passenger due to leg room.
Sorry if you already answered this but did you make you box enclosed or ported? I have mine ported and that might give you the boom... if that's what your looking for? Did you get the specs for box sizes for those subs? My 10 Caption Comp required about more length in the box than yours.... It sits flat on the ground and is right up to the ledge where the window starts...

Nice clean job... way to pay attention to detail..

Joe

crzyone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2004 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Woah... didn't see this thread come back up. There was no pine used in the install. Its all MDF. The boxes are sealed, and almost optimal cf for the subs. In hindsight I would have shaped the boxes fo fit the firewall alittle better but I like the way it turned out. Instead of using silicone to seal the box to the firewall I used fiberglass which should also make it much stronger and less prone to breaking off the firewall if I hit a big bump.

You can do this swap a variety of ways, my boxes are so tall because they are very shallow. I was somewhat concerned about leg room so I make them wide and tall. I think it looks good that way. The amp is now in the front of the car with the battery. I have short RCs and remote wire going to the amp and some thick speaker wire going to the subs through the center consol.

jimmybpei

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2004 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimmybpeiSend a Private Message to jimmybpeiDirect Link to This Post
wow ... that takes me back to the torture when i did mine

------------------

fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2004 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post
very nice install! I just finished mine a couple weeks ago. Didn't get any build up pictures because my sister had the digital camera at school, although i did borrow one and get some final pictures. Also did headliner.

I do like the look of the boxes behind your seats. It evens things out. very nice.

Matt

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2004 04:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliment.

I have a really dark monitor, does your box cover your rear window? Hard to tell. If it does why did you decide to go that way?

fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2004 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by crzyone:

I have a really dark monitor, does your box cover your rear window? Hard to tell. If it does why did you decide to go that way?

no, I brightened up the picture for you. My windows are tinted, and the fabric I used is black. The box is actually probably about half the size as yours.

Matt

Unsafe At Any Speed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 315
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2004 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Unsafe At Any SpeedSend a Private Message to Unsafe At Any SpeedDirect Link to This Post

Looks like it was just dark out when the picture was taken.

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2004 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero go fast:

very nice install! I just finished mine a couple weeks ago. Didn't get any build up pictures because my sister had the digital camera at school, although i did borrow one and get some final pictures. Also did headliner.

I do like the look of the boxes behind your seats. It evens things out. very nice.

Matt

did you cut the firewall for yours?

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2004 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Well I finally have the stereo install complete. Had to move the amp up front because of my 3.4tdc install. Moved the battery up front so I moved the amp as well. I have it bolted to the battery box on top of the battery. It hides my ugly Canadian tire battery nicely. I'm using 4ga monster cable for the power supply and 12ga speaker wires. I drilled through a plastic pannel on the bulkhead to get the wires to the amp. If you look under your dash in front of the gas pedal you will see where I drilled.

Well here are some pics.

------------------

Buy a fiero, become a mechanic

fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2004 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:

did you cut the firewall for yours?

Yes.

PFF
System Bot
ds21

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2004 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ds21Send a Private Message to ds21Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

crzyone... Looking good so far!

After you test fire it, it may sound "boomy" - not BASSy. This will be from distortion and resonances inside the box. You may need to add some polyfill inside the box to smooth it out. The speaker will then work more efficiently and quality should be better.

You can fine tune the box by how much you put in there. If you change to bigger subs later, you'll probably need to add more. Polyfill can increase the "apparent" volume of the box by 40%. With polyfill, you can actually build a smaller box and "get away" with it, while still getting awesome performance in the end.

http://diyaudiocorner.tripod.com/faq.htm

My sub-boxes have 1lb of polyfill in each. Only a couple bucks from Walmart.

In all my years of speaker building I've heard 10-15% at the most 25% but never 40% (at least not with polyfill), Of course you could always use an 'AP mem' setup.
P.S. Nice job crzyone!

[This message has been edited by ds21 (edited 10-15-2004).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2004 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ds21:

In all my years of speaker building I've heard 10-15% at the most 25% but never 40% (at least not with polyfill), Of course you could always use an 'AP mem' setup.
P.S. Nice job crzyone!

http://diyaudiocorner.tripod.com/faq.htm

Opinions vary. The page the above link goes to says 20%. This one says 40%

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 12-30-2004).]

pruettz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2004 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pruettzSend a Private Message to pruettzDirect Link to This Post
those rockfords you've got are good subs, the newer rockfords products decrease in strength and sound i think
older rockford amps are the best you can buy
jl's wear out real easy with everyday use more so than audiobahns, or RF's
MTX roadthunders that came out about 4 years ago are good subs, ugly but good subs.
anyone tried those red dual subs best buy sells ? they look pretty but thier off brand arent they?

My fieros sound system consists of

two audiobahn 8's dual voice coil
mtx 202, 200 to 2 channel
Rockford Fosgate mp3 cd player
pioneer 4x10s in the dash
audiobahn amp kit and fuses
rockford gold plated rca's
4 guage wiring power,ground
10 guage speaker wire

(thats what i've spent all my money on so far. im 18 and a meat cutter i dont have any bills still live at home. lol )

------------------
I am currently working on an 84 fiero SE and need all kinds of ideas

[This message has been edited by pruettz (edited 12-30-2004).]

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2004 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Its strange how this thread keeps poping up

I am satisfied with the rockfords, but if I could find more powerful small 10" single voicecoil subs I would probibly upgrade. These ones do sound great but sometimes I feel they lack power.

Its not a big priority right now, I'm buying parts to upgrade my engine to about 300whp. Sucking up all my fiero fund.

------------------

derangedsheep

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2004 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for derangedsheepSend a Private Message to derangedsheepDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pruettz:
anyone tried those red dual subs best buy sells ? they look pretty but thier off brand arent they?

I have the Dual 10" Model XS10. For a $30 sub, it sounds damn good. I wasn't expecting much (who would for $30?) but i was surprised. My dad and I built a small box (13.5x13.5x6.5) and put some polyfill in it. I keep it on the passenger side floor.

riley

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2005 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rileySend a Private Message to rileyDirect Link to This Post
bump to add to favourites
crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2005 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
bump to keep out of archives
crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2005 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post

bump to keep out of archives

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2005 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
this is just something i ran across. I never used for anything I just thought Id pass it along just in case
http://caraudio.biggz.com/downloads/volumecalculator.html

------------------

" DRIVE IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT"

domesticgal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2005 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for domesticgalSend a Private Message to domesticgalDirect Link to This Post
WOW...crzyone...that looks gorgeous!!!! wanna head over to BC and do mine for me?

fiero go fast...how hard was doing your headliner? i know how to re-do a headliner on a fiero that has no sunroof or t-tops, but I have NO idea how hard it would be on mine! (86 with sunroof)...what extra is involved? yours looks awesome!!

PFF
System Bot
crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2005 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Its actually fairly easy to do, if I did it again it would only take 3 or 4 hours. If you decide to do it yourself, send me a pm and I can walk you though it.
crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2005 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post

crzyone

3571 posts
Member since Dec 2000

Originally posted by ohio86se:

this is just something i ran across. I never used for anything I just thought Id pass it along just in case
http://caraudio.biggz.com/downloads/volumecalculator.html

My boxes are alittle big, and I haven't put any insulation in them yet. Hasn't been a big priority since my car is in pieces.

I actually plan to take the fronts off my sub boxes and add 2 or 3 more layers of fiberglass to minimize vibration. I noticed there were some leaks which made a buzzing sound.

I'll post updates in a few months when I take it all apart.

fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2005 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by domesticgal:

WOW...crzyone...that looks gorgeous!!!! wanna head over to BC and do mine for me?

fiero go fast...how hard was doing your headliner? i know how to re-do a headliner on a fiero that has no sunroof or t-tops, but I have NO idea how hard it would be on mine! (86 with sunroof)...what extra is involved? yours looks awesome!!

It's not really that hard at all. I've never done a headliner without a sunroof, but have done a couple with. The only think that would make it difficult I would think would be getting it in and out of the car without breaking the headliner board that the fabric is glued to. I would definitely get someone else to help you get it in and out of the car so that you have an extra hand to keep from breaking or tearing headliner board. Also, I wouldn't recommend cutting the hole out for the sunroof until the headliner is back in the car, and if you do cut it out leave yourself plenty of fabric. If you have any questions just PM or email me. If you've done one headliner (even without a sunroof) this one really shouldn't be any trouble at all.

And thanks for the compliment

Matt

[This message has been edited by fiero go fast (edited 11-30-2005).]

Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2005 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
Ahh the good 'ole Punch Zs, my first subs. I dunno bout you but I was hitting 130s spl with 170watt Optimus amp. That was in my Cavalier, I upgraded to Punch HE's and gained about 5. I would suggest if you wanted to upgrade go with HE's. They are deeper though and that may cause a problem. Love the look though
Haagster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2006 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HaagsterSend a Private Message to HaagsterDirect Link to This Post
Free bump - so I can find it later
crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2006 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I was thinking of bumping to keep it out of archives.

Well I think I've only had the fiero on the road for a total of 3 months in the last 2 years. Its been off the road since March for the N* install and before that it was off the road for the 3.4dohc install..... I think I forget what the stereo sounds like

------------------

3.4 dohc Install
Sub Install
Northstar Install

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors