Started on: 11-03-2005 04:32 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: jscott1 on 11-06-2005 12:35 AM
Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2005 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
I am going to put FireBird door panels into my GT but dont have them yet. I need to get the radio in the car right now and need to know exactly were to cut the hole in the door for the 6.5 door speakers? I will cut out the Fiero door panels for now but I want to cut the hole into the door for the FireBird speakers. That way I can have the speakers working till I get the FireBird door panels in. I dont want to trim the door to much SO I need to know the exact center of the speaker hole in the lower front corner of the FireBird door panel.
It would be easy to measure from the center line of the speaker to the front edge of the door panel, and the center line of the speaker to the lower edge of the door panel.

Thanks for the help

Rick.

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2005 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
pm jscott ! he is the expert on the firebirdie stuff!
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2005 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I didn't cut my doors at all. There was enough clearance for my surface mounted 6.5"s between the firebird door panel and the structure of the door itself. I don't have a good pic of that handy but this is a start:

------------------

88 GT T-Top, 88 Fastback Chop-top (Archie #14), 1984 Indy, and 88 Chop Top T-top
Firebird Interior Installation Website

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 11-03-2005).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2005 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reply!

Well, what I need to know is where is the center of your speaker? Can you tell me where the center of the speaker is by telling me how many inches from the bottom of the door panel to the center of the speaker. Then the center of the speaker from the front edge of the door panel to center of speaker?

Thanks

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2005 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

Well, what I need to know is where is the center of your speaker? Can you tell me where the center of the speaker is by telling me how many inches from the bottom of the door panel to the center of the speaker. Then the center of the speaker from the front edge of the door panel to center of speaker?

Thanks

Well, I'm honored that the great Rickady is asking me a question

I just took a measurement and the center of the speaker is about 5 1/2 inches from both the front and bottom edges of the door panel. One thing to note is that I cut off the flat edge around the front and lower edge of the panel and it doesn't quite sit flush because of the thickness of the speaker. I had to build up the edge of the door panel to get it to look right. Here are some never before posted shots of when I was building it, (forgive the fuzzy shots that was three digital cameras ago.) I hope that helps.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 11-04-2005).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2005 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks J. Actually my wife Jen asked the question for me The pics really help me. But they bring one more question? Could you have put the speaker in the door with the stock FireBird door panel? Or did the speakers intrude so far into the door that you needed to build it up on the outside? I moved the window regulator motor so I could put the speaker deeper into the door. I don't think (by the pics) that I will have any problem fitting speakers into the door panels and keep the stock FireBird speaker covers.

Thanks, ANY pics and advice is a GREAT help.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2005 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

Could you have put the speaker in the door with the stock FireBird door panel?

I could have but the window regulator/motor was in the way along with the door structure

Or did the speakers intrude so far into the door that you needed to build it up on the outside?

I had to build up the panel a little on the forward edge which needed to be done anyway because that's where the panel was cut to make clearance for the dash.

I moved the window regulator motor so I could put the speaker deeper into the door. I don't think (by the pics) that I will have any problem fitting speakers into the door panels and keep the stock FireBird speaker covers.

If you see on my pics, my speaker magnet is more or less flush with the rear of the firebird panel, this was only possible because my speakers are surface mounted on the firebird panel. I didn't want to use Firebird speakers, because in addition to mounting concerns, aftermarket are easier to find and don't use funny impeadances like the delco/monsoon speakers out there. And I was not as concerned with making mine look 100% firebird...it is afterall a Fiero!

Thanks, ANY pics and advice is a GREAT help.

When I get home tonight I will see if there are any other photos that might help you.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 11-04-2005).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2005 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Cool thanks
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2005 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Rickady88GT

10648 posts
Member since Dec 2002
Here is some work done today.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2005 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Great looking speaker install. When you say you moved the window regulator motor, how exactly did you do that? and does the window still go up and down by itself?
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2005 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Great looking speaker install. When you say you moved the window regulator motor, how exactly did you do that? and does the window still go up and down by itself?

I took the entire window regulator assembly. out and drilled the rivets out that held on the motor. I then indexed (turned) the motor so it is now just under the mirror and welded it back onto the assembly. By moving the motor I freed up enough room in the lower door to fit 6x9's easy. As you can see I have just under 2 inches of depth into the door for the speaker. I also had to modify the window stop. It was a big white roller looking thing that stops the window in the correct position. I replaced it with a "low profile" window stop ( a piece of cut down aluminum angle stock) The window not only functions like it should, but it also goes down ALL the way. The window does not stick up that .5 inch at it's lowest point. MAN that don't sound like a big deal but it is REALY uncomfortable to put my elbow on the window that used to stick up

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2005 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
That's an amazing amount of work... I am very impressed. I would have never thought to move the motors themselves. But I'm about to do a window motor replacement on my GT anyway, I'll keep this in mind in case I want bigger speakers. My door speakers sound about 100% better than the dash 4 x 10s by the way.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock