Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Why do people say a DOHC fits the Fiero's personality better than a pushrod engine? (Page 5)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
Why do people say a DOHC fits the Fiero's personality better than a pushrod engine? by Unrivaled
Started on: 10-20-2005 01:24 AM
Replies: 177
Last post by: cooguyfish on 10-25-2005 02:43 PM
caddyrocket

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2005 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for caddyrocketSend a Private Message to caddyrocketDirect Link to This Post
I've got a pushrod motor and a DOHC motor sitting in the garage. I'M SO CONFUSED~!!!~
IP: Logged
crzyone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2005 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by caddyrocket:

I've got a pushrod motor and a DOHC motor sitting in the garage. I'M SO CONFUSED~!!!~

Save yourself the headach, go rotary

flames4me

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2005 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for flames4meSend a Private Message to flames4meDirect Link to This Post
with my 13.96 @99MPH 3.4 DOHC what people dont know about that day was that i was running at as it is on the street... no slicks (h-rated 205/55/16), STOCK CLUTCH (yes thats right, i was babying it for a week before hand so it would be good for a few runs), no-burnout ahead of time (id rather have the tires slip then the clutch), i was launching at 2500 RPM to keep the clutch in OK shape (which is very low for this engine). and last but definatly no least..... this was my FIRST time at the track, i had a little stick-on pinstripe thing to tell me when to shift on the stock 6k rpm tach (i shifted at 6.5k) lol. not proving anybody wrong here, but since i was the fastest DOHC on that list, i might as well give out a few more facts about that day.

------------------
1986 Silver 5 speed Fiero
3.4 DOHC, bored .30
Fully balanced and blueprinted

355/380hp sbc, 4 bolt main
spec stage 3, and many other extras, lol.
still need to find the right fiero for this engine.

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2005 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:

Finding one dyno of a V-8 showing less HP than a DOHC engine doesn't mean that most SBC swapped Fiero's have less power.
My ZZ4 has 309 to the wheels and runs 12.387 seconds.The fastest DOHC was turbo'd and ran 12.9 compared to my off-the-shelf normally-aspirated carb'd engine.
I have yet to see any real-world data of a 3.4L DOHC engine coming close to either of the above specs. Not saying it can't be done, But aside from wetpoop, how many other 3.4L DOHC dyno's have you seen?

still in a monte carlo not a fiero - but its basicly the same setup as I have in my car which is still in the tuning phase

"1995 Monte Carlo Z34" blue is before red is turbo running 10psi

[This message has been edited by Kohburn (edited 10-24-2005).]

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2005 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
aren't "stock" 4.9's in Fieros with a stick in the 13's and with just over 160rwhp...?
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2005 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

aren't "stock" 4.9's in Fieros with a stick in the 13's and with just over 160rwhp...?

linenoise:14.18@97mph( 4.9 Cad V8, 70 shot of NOS)
Ronnie: 14.93@90mph FB (4.9 caddy V8 stock, 4T60E auto)

only modified ones
Fieroking: 13.90@96mph (mod. 4.9 Caddy)
RockCrawl: 13.30@105mph NB (mod. 4.9 Caddy-4speed)

UDLOSE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post10-24-2005 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UDLOSESend a Private Message to UDLOSEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:

still in a monte carlo not a fiero - but its basicly the same setup as I have in my car which is still in the tuning phase

"1995 Monte Carlo Z34" blue is before red is turbo running 10psi

what is it running.....Its too blurry for me to see the whole thing.

------------------
I race from a roll cause I need all the help I can get!!

Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2005 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Looks like 322 HP and 340 TQ.
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2005 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKDirect Link to This Post
Well the HP is pretty good but that low end TQ needs some work !

------------------
HARDCORE SBC CRONIE AND PROUD OF IT ! GOT TQ ?

caddyrocket

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2005 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for caddyrocketSend a Private Message to caddyrocketDirect Link to This Post
Hell no, that is a nice flat ass curve. That was the great thing about my LT1 cars. Nice flat curve. Launch that car at around 4500, ride the clutch out for 1/2 a second to keep the revs up, and the shift extensions will keep it well in the powerband. I don't care if it has pushrods or not, that's useable power.
MDFierolvr

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2005 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MDFierolvrSend a Private Message to MDFierolvrDirect Link to This Post
has anyone even thought about which 3.4L pushrod we are considering? cuz I know the 3400 puts out more than the 3.4 camaro engine.
PFF
System Bot
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2005 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:

linenoise:14.18@97mph( 4.9 Cad V8, 70 shot of NOS)
Ronnie: 14.93@90mph FB (4.9 caddy V8 stock, 4T60E auto)

only modified ones
Fieroking: 13.90@96mph (mod. 4.9 Caddy)
RockCrawl: 13.30@105mph NB (mod. 4.9 Caddy-4speed)

on that list anyway and aren't those autos? I did say sticks. Cadero or whatever his name was had his swap in the 13's back when he was one of the first few to ever do the swap. I know he had a stick... I think even Ed Parks is in the 13's...with an auto. He might have a 4.10 final though...not that that's a crime.

Again, 4.9's only dyno ~160 at the wheels stock.

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 10-24-2005).]

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2005 06:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by UDLOSE:

what is it running.....Its too blurry for me to see the whole thing.

was it stock before the turbo. If so then we can agree that a 210-215 hp 3.4TDC is 180 @ wheels. Just noticing...

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2005 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
I think a turbine jet engine would suit the fiero best The sound is awsome...... And my torc and hp numbers will look like a nikey swooosh but it's better technology. j/k All in good fun.

And Aaron here's a link for ya bud

http://science.howstuffworks.com

------------------

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 10-25-2005).]

flames4me

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2005 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for flames4meSend a Private Message to flames4meDirect Link to This Post

on that list anyway and aren't those autos? I did say sticks. Cadero or whatever his name was had his swap in the 13's back when he was one of the first few to ever do the swap. I know he had a stick... I think even Ed Parks is in the 13's...with an auto. He might have a 4.10 final though...not that that's a crime.

Again, 4.9's only dyno ~160 at the wheels stock.

you seriously think that a 4.9 with a 70 shot of Nitrous with an auto is still a full second (or so) slower than a stock manual? that 14.2 or whatever it was is probably faster than a manual, if hes an amazing driver than maby close to that time.

autos loose power at the wheels, but not that much.

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2005 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

was it stock before the turbo. If so then we can agree that a 210-215 hp 3.4TDC is 180 @ wheels. Just noticing...

his graph shows 176 - its pretty much agreed on that the 3.4dohc puts out about 175 hp and 165 tq to the wheels

after only 10psi and a free flowing exhaust he is putting out 320hp and 350tq AT THE WHEELS with a 2500 RPM powerband above 300hp

edit to add a quote from the owner

Originally posted by timq:
I'm running a rebuilt 4T60E transmission with all HD parts, a shift kit, and hgiher stall speed torque converter

so that explains the power starting a little later on the dyno - and also goes to show you'd see higher numbers out of a manual tranny

[This message has been edited by Kohburn (edited 10-25-2005).]

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2005 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
...just to trow a wrench into the mix...I find it odd that I have yet to see a top fuel dragster run an engine that is a DOHC...I wonder why is that???

...but then on the other side of the coin...I also noticed that the Formula 1 type cars are running DOHC's...

...anyways, just rambling...each motor has it's place

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 10-25-2005).]

cooguyfish

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2005 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cooguyfishSend a Private Message to cooguyfishDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

...just to trow a wrench into the mix...I find it odd that I have yet to see a top fuel dragster run an engine that is a DOHC...I wonder why is that???

...but then on the other side of the coin...I also noticed that the Formula 1 type cars are running DOHC's...

...anyways, just rambling...each motor has it's place

If i'm not mistaken, DOHC's aren't allowed in top fuel per the rules.

If you really want to get into that, through around the fact that GM has a 122 cube 4 cylinder that's made anywhere from 800-1400HP

Assume that a top fueler runs 500 cubes even, that gives the top fueler a 4.098 advantage in the number of cubes. 4.098 * 1000 = 4,098 HP. take that a step farther and up it to the 1400 I've heard of ecotecs making, and you get 5,737. So I'd say it's safe to assume that given similar cubes an ecotec DOHC wouldn't be far behind in terms of power. and they've only been developing them for what 2 years? give them 10 years and see what's going on.

------------------
AIM= Fish100770
96 Saturn SL2 Turbo (evil SL2)

My cardomain site: cardomain.com/memberpage/702872

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave