Started on: 08-04-2005 11:21 AM
Replies: 18
Last post by: $Rich$ on 08-07-2005 06:41 PM
cooguyfish

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2005 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cooguyfishSend a Private Message to cooguyfishDirect Link to This Post
So I was reading the thread about "who installed the sunroof in the 88" They were saying that all you have to do is swap the roof skins, and that they are all cut for sunroofs already. So out of curiousity, I went out and looked at one of my parts cars and Low and behold, It looks like it's cut for a sunroof.

I can see some bolts going around the sunroof area, but what about the part that runs down the A-pillar, where does that bolt up?

Am i understanding this correctly that all I have to do is unbolt the roofs and switch the skins???

thanks

------------------
AIM= Fish100770
96 Saturn SL2 Turbo (evil SL2)

My cardomain site: cardomain.com/memberpage/702872

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JacobHaley

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2005 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JacobHaleySend a Private Message to JacobHaleyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cooguyfish:

Am i understanding this correctly that all I have to do is unbolt the roofs and switch the skins???

That is an understatement! You have to remove a lot of the interior, loosen the rear clip, remove the front fenders (i think), remove the front trim pieces under the windshield, remove the seal around the windshield, and then get the roof off the car without breaking it or the windshield. Definately not a job for someone with no patience.

cooguyfish

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2005 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cooguyfishSend a Private Message to cooguyfishDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JacobHaley:

That is an understatement! You have to remove a lot of the interior, loosen the rear clip, remove the front fenders (i think), remove the front trim pieces under the windshield, remove the seal around the windshield, and then get the roof off the car without breaking it or the windshield. Definately not a job for someone with no patience.

Ok, that's most of what I needed to know right there. thank you much.

Fieroeddie

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2005 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroeddieSend a Private Message to FieroeddieDirect Link to This Post
If anyone in the Chicago area needs this done, just PM me. I pull the old panel off without damage.
Fiero2m41

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2005 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m41Send a Private Message to Fiero2m41Direct Link to This Post
i would suggest when you take yours off just to cut it at the top of the pillars that way you dont have to worry about a gap that tends to appear on the right side of the windsheild and the roof. Well the roof tends to sit up to high compared to the glass i mean. So cut at the top of the pillars .. Do the same thing to the other roof cut same spots. I beleive you have 8 bolts that need to come out and then you just got a lot of glue but if you dont care for your roof.(which if you cut i you obviusly dont.) sit inside the car and just push push push. Btw this way should also save you from removing your windsheild strip and it costing 130 to get a new windsheild. But if you want to save your roof. Just unbolt everything . You dont need to remove the fenders just unbolt the tops and swing them out a bit. there are 3 or 4 bolts underthe windsheild that need to be removed that are under the black plastic piece that covers your intake for your vents. use gutiar string or piano wire and have 2 people one inside one outside pull it up from the bottom for the pillar to the top. At the top of the pillar you will hit a bolt thats glassed into the roof YOu should be able to lift the roof and the pillar up enough to slide the wire under it. Or just push it through the glue if you can to the inside of the car. uhm when you do this put wax paper under the spots that you unglued already to prevent it from adhearing again. When you do the hole windsheild area . Then you and your partner push one on each side under the roof up one hand under towards the middle/top of the pillar and one hand under the roof. Be verry careful and take your time. TAKE YOUR TIME. The glue comes up vvveeeeeerrryyyyyy slowly but it will come up. .

But for short. this swap isnt worth it and it sucks to do. Good luck

YELLOWFIERO88

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2005 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for YELLOWFIERO88Click Here to visit YELLOWFIERO88's HomePageSend a Private Message to YELLOWFIERO88Direct Link to This Post

You can just unbolt the fenders on the top and pull them out. The mesh panel below the wiper arms has to come off to get to the bolts that hold the clip on. You do not touch the rear clip. Remove the 1/2 round moulding around the windshield. and use a picture hanging wire to cut the glue from the clip. It sounds alot worse than it is. If you need help I can help you if you want to do it.

------------------

88GT 3.4SC
88GT T-TOP
87GT VERT (build in progress)

DotTC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2005 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotTCClick Here to visit DotTC's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotTCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero2m41:

But for short. this swap isnt worth it and it sucks to do. Good luck

Not worth it? I couldn't imagine my 88 without a sunroof now. It wasn't hard to do at all.of course I was already removing my rear clip to replace it, but it isn't hard. its just a matter of sitting down and thinking it out. and preparing.

------------------

FieroNews.com - Photo Gallery - RPSpot.com
I am the signature virus, please put me in your signature so I can spread

Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2005 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post

What I did was Master Tuner Akimoto's way in this thread. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/061778.html It eliminated everything except removing the headliner and some interior. It wasn't that hard.

------------------

Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2005 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Direct Link to This Post
If you are handy this is not a difficult swap. Matt, Joel (Turbo86SE) and I did it to his car and you would never know it didn't come with a sunroof originally.

When removing the "roof section" from the parts car you must be very careful not to damage the parts of the section that corresponds with the "A" Pillar, essentially the piece that runs along the windshield. You also need the sunroof seal (your best bet is probably ordering a new one from the FieroStore), the hardware for the sunroof latch and the surrounds that the small sunroof clips clip into. Of course you will also need the sunroof glass.

When you remove the original roof from the car, if you care to salvage it you must remove it gently. We used heat lamps to loosen up the glue underneath. You also have to remove the seal around the windshield. We did not remove the front fenders but did loosen them to aid in the removal and fitting process of the new roof. We also took the "wiper tray" or whatever you call it off. Before installing the "new" roof you have to remove the headliner and then you are ready to go! We painted the new roof before it went on (courtesy of Matt's excellent painting skills!) and then applied the glue and installed the roof. This was the tricky part as you don't have long to "get it right." After the roof section was in place, the fenders were retightened, a windshield seal was reapplied and we then installed the sunroof seal, hardware and glass. All in all (painting not included) I believe it took us around three hours. Joel is very happy with the result!

Jennifer

[This message has been edited by Fierochic88 (edited 08-04-2005).]

AutoTech

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2005 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroeddie:

If anyone in the Chicago area needs this done, just PM me. I pull the old panel off without damage.

PM sent

Fieroeddie

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2005 05:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroeddieSend a Private Message to FieroeddieDirect Link to This Post
PM replied.
PFF
System Bot
aerosmithr0cker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2005 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aerosmithr0ckerSend a Private Message to aerosmithr0ckerDirect Link to This Post
am i the only person that is going the opposite direction going from sunroof to hard top?
YELLOWFIERO88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for YELLOWFIERO88Click Here to visit YELLOWFIERO88's HomePageSend a Private Message to YELLOWFIERO88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by aerosmithr0cker:

am i the only person that is going the opposite direction going from sunroof to hard top?

UH YEP

CTFieroGT87

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Direct Link to This Post
Actually Aerosmith, I think I'm with you. I got an 86GT that I'd rather have hardtop than sunroof. I think Targa is in its future!
aerosmithr0cker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aerosmithr0ckerSend a Private Message to aerosmithr0ckerDirect Link to This Post
Finally I'm not alone. I'm tired of mine leaking and i've replaced everything but the gasket tracks and have drilled rain holes.
MiZer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 211
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MiZerSend a Private Message to MiZerDirect Link to This Post
YELLOWFIERO88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for YELLOWFIERO88Click Here to visit YELLOWFIERO88's HomePageSend a Private Message to YELLOWFIERO88Direct Link to This Post
I like the look of the hardtop but when the A/C compressor is no longer there you must get air flow. Not to mention the fact that if you have a leak it is a pain in the a55. The first fiero I had was a 84SE that every time I took off after a rain, my lap would get wet
Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CTFieroGT87:
Actually Aerosmith, I think I'm with you. I got an 86GT that I'd rather have hardtop than sunroof. I think Targa is in its future!

Your hardtop is in my parts barn when you want it!

------------------

$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
i didnt read through this thread, but just yesterday i pulled off a hard top from an 84,
all of the fiero's ive owned have all had sunroof's and ive alwas wanted a non sunroof fiero, i dont know why, it seems everyone else is opposite of me,

i managed to get it off with out breaking it it was like 100* yesterday so im sure that helped loosen al the black TAR that holds it on (nasty stuff)
but heres a pic of how it goes

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock