Started on: 06-10-2005 06:28 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Boomtastic on 08-11-2005 11:47 AM
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2005 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
** INTRODUCTION **

After reading the previous thread about adding acetone to gasoline to improve fuel economy, I decided to try it out myself. I wanted to see if the real thing lived up to the hype. So I ran a little fuel economy test, comparing "acetone-enhanced" gasoline to normal gasoline.

** TESTING METHODOLOGY **

The plan was to run 3 tanks of acetone-enhanced and 3 tanks of normal gasoline, keep track of fuel consumption and miles travelled, and tabulate the results. I alternated between the two (i.e. one tank of acetone-enhanced, then one tank of normal, etc). I started off by adding 1.5 oz acetone to the fuel tank, filling it up (until the gas pump auto-stopped), and reset the trip odometer. When the tank was almost empty, I filled it up again (recording the amount of fuel needed to refill it), noted the miles travelled, and reset the trip odometer. I repeated this sequence until the test was finished.

The test was performed in real-world conditions. Since I didn't use lab equipment in clinical conditions, there is some built-in error (see notes below). However, the figures should be pretty accurate relative to each other. In other words, the test should be able to reveal a trend. And that's what I'm looking for.

** THE RESULTS **

TANK #1 (Acetone Enhanced)
  • FUEL: 9.3 gal
  • MILES: 280
  • FUEL ECONOMY: 30.1 MPG

TANK #2 (Normal Gasoline)

• FUEL: 9.2 gal
  • MILES: 260
  • FUEL ECONOMY: 28.2 MPG

TANK #3 (Acetone Enhanced)

• FUEL: 9.6 gal
  • MILES: 274
  • FUEL ECONOMY: 28.5 MPG

TANK #4 (Normal Gasoline)

• MILES: 270
  • FUEL ECONOMY: 28.1 MPG

TANK #5 (Acetone Enhanced)

• FUEL: 8.9 gal
  • MILES: 265
  • FUEL ECONOMY: 29.8 MPG

TANK#6 (Normal Gasoline)

• MILES: 279
  • FUEL ECONOMY: 29.0 MPG

AVERAGE FUEL ECONOMY (Acetone Enhanced): 29.5 MPG
AVERAGE FUEL ECONOMY (Normal Gasoline): 28.5 MPG

** CONCLUSIONS **

Well, it would seem that the Acetone enhanced gasoline yielded an ever-so-slight improvement in fuel economy. According to my calculator, the fuel economy with acetone was about 3.5% better than normal 87 octane gasoline. To be honest, I was surprised, even at this small improvement. I wasn't expecting acetone to make any difference.

** NOTES **

1) Notice that I relied on the gas pump to tell me when the tank was full. Since the gas pump is not going to stop at the same fill level every time, there will be a small amount of error built into the fuel consumption data.

2) Although I tried to drive the same routes during the same times of day for each test, it wasn't possible to keep it exactly the same for the entire span of the test. So regardless of what fuel I used, the fuel economy is going to change slightly from one test to the next, simply because of the changing amount of stop-and-go driving and highway cruising.

3) The test took roughly 2 months to complete. During that time, the climate changed. During tanks 1 and 2, the weather was mild and relatively dry. During tanks 3 and 4, the weather was hot and humid. During tanks 5 and 6, the weather was warm and rainy. You can see how the weather affected fuel economy.

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
88gtNewb

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2005 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88gtNewbClick Here to visit 88gtNewb's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88gtNewbDirect Link to This Post
Intriguing results. For me, I'm not sure if it'd be worth it for the small mpg improvement. But for someone trying to squeeze every last mile out of a tank, it could prove useful.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2005 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Well... a roughly 1 MPG change can easily be accounted for by the station pump itself. Even if you use exactly the same pump/nozel every time you'll get enough variation to make that.

Add in that you didn't run the tank out each time.... Dash Gauges are useless for this.

I'd have to say Myth Busted based only on this result.

Testing basic MPG is a fairly big pain using nothing more than the car's OE equipment and common fuel station pumps. I test over dozens of tanks. The only time it is significant is when you start seeing 4-5 MPG or more and only then over several tanks in a row.

By alternating tanks you may have actually killed any meaningfull result. Alternating tanks can pull down the effective amount of added chemical. You also contaminate the "straight" tanks with chemical.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurasic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

KA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2005 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KASend a Private Message to KADirect Link to This Post
The biggest gain I'd expect to see is the solvent cleaning the injectors.
interceptor429

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2005 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for interceptor429Send a Private Message to interceptor429Direct Link to This Post
i use 100% pure acetone in my 86 2.5 and after 2 tanks of fuel i've gone from 27mpg to 35 mpg,i now use on every fill up about 2.5 ounces per my 10 gal tank ,been using it for about 4 months now ,boy what a difference ,i would recommend it ,

[This message has been edited by interceptor429 (edited 08-10-2005).]

aerosmithr0cker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2005 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aerosmithr0ckerSend a Private Message to aerosmithr0ckerDirect Link to This Post
my only concern using acetone in a tank is the potential to damage the rubber lines. Acetone is some strong stuff.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2005 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
well, I'd have to say the test Blacktree did worked out well. hard to get anything better by yourself. EVERY acetone tankful got better milage than the non acetone tank before or after. yes, its not a perfect test. being it spanned alot of time & weather conditions, there can be many things that changed the milage. I know I could go and do 6 milage runs right now, and get 6 numbers, all varying between 21 & 25 mpg. just making all the lights to & from work will get me 2 mpg.

------------------
1985 Fiero SE - Plain Red V6 Coupe
3.1 Crane272 MSD 4.10-4spd DarthChip Borla
D.A.M.M. - Drunks Against Mad Mothers

ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2005 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
As I mentioned in the other thread, I did my own blind study (emphasis on blind.... the driver didn't know whether this tankful was the acetone or not...). Driver made 95% highway miles, about 80 miles/day, so it was pretty consistant during both... No noticeable increase OR decrease in gas mileage was noted. Not even 1/2 of a MPG.

I think it's safe to say that any change you see is completely due to a placebo effect, where "hey, this has gotta work!" makes your foot lighter....

I'll be honest - I was hoping for the best (10%+ better gas mileage), and fearing the worst (dead fuel pump)

Boomtastic

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2005 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoomtasticClick Here to visit Boomtastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BoomtasticDirect Link to This Post
I'm glad to see you all picking up my slack! I ran out of acetone during my initial testing and had not gotten around to picking up some more.

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock