The indy project begins by Indyrestoration
Started on: 01-30-2005 10:58 PM
Replies: 41
Last post by: redraif on 08-04-2005 08:29 PM
Indyrestoration

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2005 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyrestorationSend a Private Message to IndyrestorationDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys,

I just joined the forum a few weeks ago and im finally getting around to making this post. I found this Indy several months back in the back corner of a body shop. The shop used to be a service shop then changed owners. So, I had no information on the owner of the car at all. I went through the DMV to find the owners name and finally did so. We finally made arrrangements to exchange the title on the car. Turns out the car has 113k on it, with a new motor with 15k on it. I gave the owner $100 and was on my way with Indy #1446. A few weeks later I towed the car out to Ed at the fiero factory. Currently the car has been there about 4 months. The motor and trans run perfect. The car is a GA car, so no rust, and the body is straight as well. There were a lot of repairs needed to the car (starter, fuel pump, ball joints, ignition). I found a center console on ebay so that was recently installed as well. The latest thing done was the headlights. I do not have an itemized list of everything done, but we are talking all the way down to the cruise control. Im debating right now whether or not to fix the AC on the car, i think i will do it though. I did not post pics with the post, however RWDPLZ will be posting the pics of it, as I did not get the PIP working yet. If anyone has any Indy parts they are selling, certainly let me know as I will be in need. The plan is to get the car back from Ed's, get a great paint job, replace all original decals on the car and then start on the interior. I will post as often as I have updates on the car. Any questions PM me or reply to this post. I will keep in touch.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2005 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Pics!

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2005 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

RWDPLZ

15013 posts
Member since May 2002

The Funkmaster

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2005 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Nice! I'd really like an indy...
The Aura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2005 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraDirect Link to This Post
You've got a good base to start from... all you need now is some tlc and some parts hunts... best of luck on the restoration.
88fieroformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2005 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88fieroformulaClick Here to visit 88fieroformula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88fieroformulaDirect Link to This Post
Wow $100?!?!?!?!?! Thats crazy!!

Great find. Cant wait to see pics after paint.

------------------
'89 LX Coupe 5.0
In loving memory of Israel Perez 1985-2004

My cardomain!

Silicoan86

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2005 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Direct Link to This Post
Looks like an awesome car for $100!
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2005 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Congratulations!

I like Indys...in addition to two heavily modified Fieros I have an Indy that I am restoring. Believe me it's harder to keep these cars original than it is to update them with all the latest parts. Keep an eye on eBay for Indy parts or post an ad in the Mall here asking for parts. Since only 1500 or so Indys were made the parts are not all that easy to come by. You might have to improvise something.

------------------

1988 GT (Firebird Interior),1988 Fastback (4.9 Chop-top #1 of 1), 1984 Indy...Firebird Interior Installation Website

mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2005 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post
WOW Indyresto...

One heck of a 1st post!

Looks like a great car to start with!

------------------

ohioindy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2005 05:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohioindyClick Here to visit ohioindy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohioindyDirect Link to This Post
Nice… It’s great to see an Indy come back to life.
Nice find.
Question…I have seen other posts that people state the # of Indy made.
It’s my understanding that the documentation is very bad from Pontiac on Indys. Do you have some paper work that tells you that you have #1446 or can you tell by the VIN.
Nice car welcome to the Fiero (Indy) obsession.

------------------

85 SE (My first love)
84 Indy 4 Speed
84 Indy Auto 43,000 miles

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2005 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
Wow, an Indy with a fairly new engine for only a $100 bucks!!
Congratulations.
Welcome to the forum and to being a fellow Indy Fiero owner

Please keep us posted on your Indy.

Steve

----------------

PFF
System Bot
Indyrestoration

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2005 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyrestorationSend a Private Message to IndyrestorationDirect Link to This Post
I do not have any specific documentation on getting the exact # the Indy car is. I recieved this information from a guy named Phil Douglas. The only problem I see is restoring the Interior of the car. I just got off the phone with a guy at the fiero factory who is going to rebuild the part of the center console around the gear shift. I would love to see some pictures of those who have indys already or those who are in the process of restoring one. I just recieved the bill from the fiero factory to the tune of $1,658. And of course there is more to do, I will keep you posted.

Eric

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2005 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Well as you already know it's a lot cheaper to buy an Indy that someone else did all the hard work to restore it, but where is the fun in that.

You've seen my Indy restoration thread, but I'll post it here:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/020093.html

My project is on temporary hold as I try to get one of my other Fieros in show condition for Daytona.

But here is the last picture I took of mine:

I got a temporary registration so that I could test drive it and the results of that test drive were not so encouraging. It's going to need a lot more work before I can make it road worthy, (i.e. pass inspection).

Good luck to you and keep us posted. Us Indy owners have to stick together.

- Jonathan

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 02-02-2005).]

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2005 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
Got your PM Eric. Shoot your questions whenever.

First, you need to replace the steering wheel with a proper GT type wheel and re-upholster it in original "slate gray" leather. Hard to find but not impossible. Same for the seats. I think Mr. Mikes makes a leather that is very close tot he original slate gray. The red inserts in your seat are not available so save them if you can. If they are torn beyond use then you can use leather too. Again Mr. Mike make a nice Indy seat out of all leather.

The badges and horn button are available on eBay. There is a seller in Australia who has 50 OEM badges up for auction from time to time. the side wings are harder to find but again they come up occassionally, as well as the original horn button.

Phoenix graphics makes a decal kit with all the decals you need

The carpets just need to be steam cleaned by the looks of it.

I have an original silver air cleaner and valve cover I can part with. It is a bit dirty but with the right care can be spruced-up nicely. Let me know if you want pics.

I have a few spare rims too. Original white Indy with the correct stamp code.

Most of the rest fo the parts are easily available and are common Fiero items.

BTW, how do you know Phil?

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2005 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toddster:

First, you need to replace the steering wheel with a proper GT type wheel and re-upholster it in original "slate gray" leather.

Interesting thing about that steering wheel. I bought one just like that on eBay that the owner swore was an Indy. I had never seen one like that before but maybe some Indy's did come with steering wheels like that???

Indyrestoration

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2005 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyrestorationSend a Private Message to IndyrestorationDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for responding to the PM's I sent. Thanks for the information. I knew about all the decals and mrmikes. I have found the door, window, decklid, wheel, air cleaning, valve cover, and lower body decals. I think that is all of them haha. The badges on my car are all still there, probably not perfect but there in the least. The steering wheel on my car is not correct. However, I have found one at the fiero factory (where the car currently is). So that is replaced with the correct wheel (not perfect though). I do have the actual indy horn button you can see that in the pics. Im not sure what I will be doing with the seats. The cloth on mine is good but needs a good cleaning, as well as the carpet. I want to keep the original seats so i may just repair the leather, or mrmikes might be the way to go. There is not any curb rash on my wheels. Im hoping a really good cleaning will work wonders, but refinishing will be necessary if that doesn't work. I found Phils name after doing a lot of internet searching on the Indy before I bought it. I can't remember what site or list though, sorry. Sounds to me like the armrests and gearshift are going to be the most difficult. Please send pics of the air cleaner and valve cover and how much you want for it. Thanks for the responce and the interest, this makes it all the more fun. Jscott keep me posted on your indy as well.
kooljess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2005 04:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kooljessSend a Private Message to kooljessDirect Link to This Post
Speaking of restorations........does anybody know where I can get the red dot matrix stickers for the Indy??? Sure would like to get a hold of one. Pep Boys carried the same stickers once but no longer carry them. Information on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2005 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kooljess:

Speaking of restorations........does anybody know where I can get the red dot matrix stickers for the Indy??? Sure would like to get a hold of one. Pep Boys carried the same stickers once but no longer carry them. Information on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

phoenix graphics

http://www.phoenixgraphix.com/gm.htm

Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2005 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Toddster

20871 posts
Member since May 2001

Originally posted by jscott1:

Interesting thing about that steering wheel. I bought one just like that on eBay that the owner swore was an Indy. I had never seen one like that before but maybe some Indy's did come with steering wheels like that???

Aside from the obvious difference in shape the Indy whell came in Slate Gray leather and this wheel is in dark gray leather. I've never seen an Indy wheel other than the GT style in the proper leather. This one was added later, I'm sure.

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2005 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

That steering wheel is called a "Formula" wheel. Indy's only had the GT wheel with the slate grey leather over it which actually covers a slightly bit more than the stock leather does on the wheel. I would guess that as the Fieros got older and as we know the leather steering wheels sometimes tend to go to mush the previous owners probably went to a salvage yard or something and at the time that was the wheel they found in good shape in a junk Fiero to replace it. However, anything is possible I suppose.

Steve

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2005 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
some of the sharp indy's have made me want to paint my SE pearl white and swap the declid from my 84 parts car..

it really is a sharp look.

PFF
System Bot
kooljess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2005 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kooljessSend a Private Message to kooljessDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Toddster for the info. Greatly appreciated it. Now time to restore....................
Indyrestoration

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2005 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyrestorationSend a Private Message to IndyrestorationDirect Link to This Post
Painting the car will probably be my next step. I have no idea who Im going to have do the work. What kind of prices has everyone paid out there for a really good quality paint job. I don't want macco or anything like that. Opinions, prices and pictures are greatly appreciated.

Eric

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2005 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
to get a good job cheap your best bet is finding a local guy and looking at his work..

prices will vary from 500 to 5000

paced84

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2005 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paced84Send a Private Message to paced84Direct Link to This Post
Photo of my Indy with functional strobe system. Parking lights strobe, back up lights, and 4 strobes in snorkle. Original Indy snorkle. 33000 miles.

[This message has been edited by paced84 (edited 02-20-2005).]

Indyrestoration

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2005 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyrestorationSend a Private Message to IndyrestorationDirect Link to This Post
Ah that is awesome that is all i can say! I have a long way to go with mine but it will look awesome soon. Keep you posted.

Eric

Indyrestoration

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2005 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyrestorationSend a Private Message to IndyrestorationDirect Link to This Post
Well it has been a while since I have updated everyone on my project. The car has now been at the fiero factory for about 4 months. Here are the things that have been done so far: spark plugs, rotor, dist cap, wires, front brakes, rt front caliper, rt rear caliper, excel cable, o2 sensor, fuel pump, trans cable, air filter, battery, trans mount, dog bone, rt rear control arm, radio, steering wheel (indy), indy air filter cover, trunk switch, cruise control, complete headlight rebuild, AC (currently working on), parking brake, new headliner, new windshield, new center console skeleton, shift surround rebuild (jeremy at the fiero factory), new center console with storage door, auto gear shift knob. I ordered dew wipes from gmpartsdirect. I have been told my numerous people they will work on my indy. Ed at the fiero factory said he has never installed them on an 84 but because of the different door skin he thinks there will be a gap between the window and the dew wipe (don't know what I should do). Planning on picking up the car on march 12. I found a guy at www.gafiero.org and is willing to do an excellent paint job with top grade materials for $1800 (providing I remove door handles, taillights, etc). He is also going to do the wheels as well. I don't have any pics right now. But you can tell that from what I have had done the pics would not be much different at all yet. Do i take the risk and have ed do the dew wipes and pay the money (could turn out good and then on the other hand there could be a gap). Well anyway this is where I am right now. Got a ways to go, but getting there. Peace
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2005 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I put dew wipes on my Indy and as far as I could tell it looked no different than on any other Fiero. Maybe I just got lucky?
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2005 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by paced84:

Photo of my Indy

paced84,

DAAAAMMMn, That indy looks DELICIOUS. if it was a cake, I'd eat the whole thing.

Good luck with the restoration, Indyrestoration!

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2005 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE:

New pics! Just AWESOME!!!!

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

Indyrestoration

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2005 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyrestorationSend a Private Message to IndyrestorationDirect Link to This Post
Thanks RWD for posting the updated pictures for me. This is how much restoration currently sits. A lot has been done as you can see. The car is running great and looking great. The interior has had some work done but still needs attention. I have a new headliner, gearshift, lots of cleaning, new dash, rebuilt console and other small things such as light bulbs. The guy who painted the car did a great job, I have name and number if interested let me know. Let me know what everyone thinks!

Eric

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2005 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Totally AWESOME!!!

Thanks for saving another Indy and restoring it to it's original beauty. I am really jealous that my Indy project has gone on a year and it's not even on the road yet, let alone repainted and "decalled" I need to get busy.

------------------

1988 GT (Firebird Interior),1988 Fastback (4.9 Chop-top #1 of 1), 1984 Indy...Firebird Interior Installation Website

Indyrestoration

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2005 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyrestorationSend a Private Message to IndyrestorationDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the compliments on my car.
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2005 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Very nice resto! Roughly how much do you have into now that it's pretty well complete?

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2005 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
Very nice!

Steve

Pontihack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2005 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontihackSend a Private Message to PontihackDirect Link to This Post
Nice Indy! A friend of mine (redraif) just bought an Indy a month or so ago, and we're just getting started on it.

------------------
86 Fiero SE

RRobinson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2005 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RRobinsonSend a Private Message to RRobinsonDirect Link to This Post
Great job! I love seeing Fieros (and especially Indys) saved from the crusher. Anyone can slap on modern hot-rod parts, some rims, and slather on the custom paint, it's much harder to restore back to stock. Stock Fieros are the best!

------------------
88 GT 5-Speed...5K orig
88 GT 5-Speed...16K orig
88 GT Auto...42K orig
88 Formula...87K, silver, 5-Speed.
87 GT 5-Speed, Blue...18K orig
87 GT 5-Speed...55K orig
86 GT Auto...8K orig
85 GT Auto...70K, future LT1
84 Indy 5-Speed, (yes 5)...80K

Indyrestoration

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2005 04:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyrestorationSend a Private Message to IndyrestorationDirect Link to This Post
I have spent quite a bit on this car since the oringal find. I have gotten everything working originally down to the cruise control and converting the whole AC system on the car. I would say that with paint and all the mechanical work and the other odds and ends it was about 5 grand give or take. If anyone is very interested I can let you know the list of items repaired on the car. The seats still need attention and the armrests and sun visors as well.

Eric

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2005 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Wow!

I knew you posted here, but this is the fiirst time I've seen the thread.

For all the other readers, I saw this car at our recent club meeting. It is absolutely gorgeous. The pictures just don't do it justice.

------------------
Raydar
88 3.4 coupe...........

Coming soon...
88 Formula, presently under the knife.

Read Nealz Nuze!

Indyrestoration

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2005 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyrestorationSend a Private Message to IndyrestorationDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the positive comments on my car. Hope to be making more improvements when funds become available. See ya.

Eric

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock