Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  New Fiero Transformer: I'm kinda Torn...

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

New Fiero Transformer: I'm kinda Torn... by FieroRumor
Started on: 03-31-2005 01:05 AM
Replies: 26
Last post by: FieroRumor on 04-02-2005 02:20 AM
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2005 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
So about a month ago, my buddy at work (who collects toys 'n stuff) hands me a toy catalog, and says "Hey Fiero-boy, they're making a Fiero Autobot!". I'm like "yeah , yeah, yeah..." thinking it was either a re-release of "sparky" the gobot (which I have) or that punch-counter-punch guy (which is an old transformer). Then he showed me the grainy pic. This guy was NOT one of those! Looked like a maroon notchback. It is a Japanese Transformer called "Nutchback II" (how original ) Heck, I never knew there was a "Nutchback I" (probably wasn't) and what the hell is a "Nutchback?" (maybe done for legal reasons, or bad traslation? Probably due to legal reasons...)

Anyway, they don't call it a Fiero (They call it a "sportscar") (yea! )

So I pre-ordered it. It came today at work, right before I left. I'll post some pics of it and tell ya what I think of it in a few... I'm kinda torn. I WANT to like it, but it has a few annoying things about it. Most that can be fixed...

(And no, this isn't an April fool's hoax. )

-FieroRumor

------------------

[This message has been edited by FieroRumor (edited 03-31-2005).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2005 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Ok, Where to start…? Well, for a “limited edition” thing, this looks like a “knock-off”. The Box was in black-and-white…I opened it up, and it was just kinda thrown in there. It is badly painted (there are BRIGHT red parts, and maroon pieces.)

It DOES have some good detail on places (like the “dash” shoulder parts) But then is lacking in others (There is no vent in the quarterpanel, the seats aren’t painted, etc). Some of the plastic is flimsy, and a few pieces have those “stress cracks” in them. Also, there is no friggin HEAD.

Note the “barely attached”chest piece with “Falling off” action” (It’s glued on with 2 cents of glue)

I know that some early transformers , like Ironhide:

didn’t have a head, but this one is just kinda silly. COME on! A SPOILER for a head?

Something HAD to be done. So, I took the head from Ultra Magnus and plopped it on. It fit “ok”:

If it is reshaped and repainted, it might work.
As for Actually “transforming” the thing…ugh. It is NOT something for the squeamish.

One of the wings popped off (cheap glue) and it just doesn’t look right. Looks a bit stretched.

Speaking of Stretched, the legs just look too darn long. I think it looks better like THIS:

(a fine example of my MSPAINT skillz)

And WTF is up with its hands? 4 fingers?
*sigh*
And they should have made the rear bumper split like the dash, and cover the hips or something, it looks a bit odd the way it is...

edit: Ohhh, two of the wheels pop off, and they attach onto the sides of the hip. (Looks kinda dumb though...)

It was SUPPOSED to come with a shield (that looked like a nose badge) that said “Nutchback II” , but they didn’t include it. Also, no other type of weapon, or even an instruction sheet. It came with a photocopied half-sheet of paper with 502/5,000 written on it, and a horribly broken English explanation of how to convert it from car to robot and back again. I left that at work on the Xerox machine (hafta get it tomorrow morning)

“Nutchback II” is a limited edition Transformer - 5,000 were made… I have a feeling they won’t sell out. For 40 bucks, I’d rather buy a few Yat-Mings. Maybe I’ll save it and sell it on Ebay. Or give it away in a contest.

Nah, It DOES kinda look cool next to my Voltron, but I DO hafta do something about that lack-of-head business. And b1tch to them about the shield. A minor thing, but I’m a little ticked off. Oh well, it IS a Fiero…

Must sleep.

-FieroRumor

8Ball

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2005 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
It is cool, But yea it does look REALLY cheap!

Even though, I like it Nice find, and looks like it will be fun to mod.
Randy

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2005 03:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpDirect Link to This Post
please let me know where you got that im very interested!!. pm doesnt work for me.
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2005 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
What does it look like when it's all closed up ?
Tytehead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2005 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TyteheadSend a Private Message to TyteheadDirect Link to This Post
Whatever you do...don't let your wife transform it, or help back it off a trailer....disaster will ensue!

Seriously though....its kinda cool...but why headless....it makes no sense.....lol

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2005 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
hey look he's got lambo doors
Glhboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2005 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GlhboySend a Private Message to GlhboyDirect Link to This Post
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2005 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Update:
I received an email from a PFFer wondering more about this guy...

It is "new" and I'm not sure they will be selling them. I sent an email to both to Hasbro and the reseller, and things got kind of weird.
Hasbro replied within 15 minutes.
Then,
We went back and forth with some pretty weird email exchanges...

First they denied even making it.

I replied saying that I HAD one, and
Attached a few pics.

Then, they replied back, asking me if I was from Pontiac.

I said "no", just a fiero owner...

Finally, they said that a subset of their company produced several different car models,(viper: subaru, http://shop.store.yahoo.com/titanmotorsports/su8btstitr.html

(Dang, 90 bucks for THAT?!? oh, sorry, it is only 20+ bucks...it's just overpriced on that one website) , etc) and this one was more of a pet project. They only made 23 of them (not sure how I ended up with number 505/5000 if they only made 23... ) . They weren't meant to go into production, and weren't even really "finished". They are basically quickly painted protypes (hence, the paintjob and crappy gluejob). The webpage off the transformer site that featured the "Hutchback II" is no longer working, not sure what happened, but I find it hard to believe Pontiac would care about this THAT much (then again, they DID pester a few people on here for selling stuff with the pegasus logo on it). That is annoying, because they had a 3D rendered movie that went from Robot to car, and that seems to be gone as well.

Bahhhh. Oh well. They offered a refund(I think they just wanted it back) but I declined. Even without the shield, it should be worth SOMETHING someday. ( Not that I would sell it)

I haven't heard back from the reseller yet, but looking at a few of their other items, it appears they
DO sell prototypes, molds, unpainted figures, and other non-production stuff. I may try ordering another one from them, just to see what happens...
Heh, this is kinda like that Boba Fett figure that had the firing missile, that never saw the light of day...because people were scared kids would shoot their eye out...

Have a good one...

-FieroRumor

edit: I believe it was going to be an "ALTERNATOR" - http://www.robot-japan.com/pages/Smokescreen-Transformers-Alternators-BT-01.htm

The Fiero one needs to have a head like THIS guy:

Maybe they didn't finish him, there seems to be a place to attach a head, it has a hole there in the middle of the decklid...one of the pics on here http://www.robot-japan.com/images/NB-84/ (page missing this morning? *sighs*) looked like it had a gun and the car had an an indy scoop, (possibly would have been his head in robot mode?) The one I bought didn't mention the scoop, or gun, only the shield...

Oh, The friggin instruction sheet is not in the Xerox machine..grrrr Hafta see if I can find that. I have a copy of it at least...

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2005 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

FieroRumor

35007 posts
Member since Dec 2001

Originally posted by Glhboy:

I love Transformers, can you tell:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000003/HTML/20050119-6-026794.html

DAAAAAAAAmmmmmm! That is SOME collection!

Glad to see you were wise enough to put unicron away from the others...he might munch on them.

Do you have any Quintisons? (did they ever make them?)
I think my favorite one is that new optimus prime. I got one off Ebay, They said it was the japanese version, but it was the American one. Short stacks. Oh well.

Not that I actually PLAY with 'em.

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2005 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

FieroRumor

35007 posts
Member since Dec 2001

Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:

What does it look like when it's all closed up ?

Kinda like a notchback, if you stepped on it. (a little stretched)

As I said, some details are perfect, others, well...

No gas tank in the center. No middle arm-rest pod inside the car. Vents look a bit wacky too. No engine.

No side mirrors either. The list goes on...

PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2005 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
It looks like it was made from Revell's 85 GT kit, is it about 1:24 scale?

It sounds like a cheap knock-off of something else. Back when Gundam models were popular, there were knock-off kits made by a company called Bendi (as opposed to Bandai) ande they came packaged similar to what you described (and the 'quality' of the product). Even though you got MOST of him, I'm suprised they didn't take the money and run.

------------------
John Z DeLorean - 1925-2005

1984 Fiero SE

achawkins

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2005 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for achawkinsClick Here to visit achawkins's HomePageSend a Private Message to achawkinsDirect Link to This Post
How much was it? I think I want one, cheap quality or not.

------------------
____________________Marty
The Pearl White GT Build Up

Edwin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2005 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EdwinSend a Private Message to EdwinDirect Link to This Post
Hi, i thought the only real transformer fiero was punch/counterpunch a small low detail robot.
But you could make a cool looking fiero robot out of that one, its pretty detailed.

punch/counterpunch

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2005 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by achawkins:

How much was it? I think I want one, cheap quality or not.

It was 40 bucks. (= about 20 bucks for shipping - I HATE buryng overseas...ouch. pain in the wallett!!!!) According to the place I got mine, they said they are all sold out. I somehow doubt that.

Hi, i thought the only real transformer fiero was punch/counterpunch a small low detail robot.
But you could make a cool looking fiero robot out of that one, its pretty detailed.

Yeah, The GoBot is "Sparky", The old Transformer is the one you displayed...

This "Nutchback" one ends up looking like that "four seater" Fiero that was at the 20th anniversary thing. From the front, it's not too bad though.

black Fiero SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2005 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for black Fiero SESend a Private Message to black Fiero SEDirect Link to This Post
I see only 2 tires. Where are the other two tires? Could you also post a picture of what it looks like in car form?
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2005 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by black Fiero SE:

I see only 2 tires. Where are the other two tires? Could you also post a picture of what it looks like in car form?

The other two tires come off. After I snapped those pics, I realized that they attach on the side of the hips. My wife needed to borrow the camera for her class, I'll snap a few pics of the robot with the tires on it and in its car form.

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2005 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Direct Link

[This message has been edited by FieroRumor (edited 04-01-2005).]

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2005 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

FieroRumor

35007 posts
Member since Dec 2001
Sorry, Couldn't help it...
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2005 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
i knew it was false as you would have had a pic of it assembled.

and Glhboy, do they have a word for what's wrong with you?

------------------
Buddy Craigg - there are two "G"s in my last name
Ling = 84SE-Modified
Julia C = 85GT stock (kinda)
Ivy = 67 Pontiac Catalina
KCFOG

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2005 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
I see it has VDC doors, just like your own car
PFF
System Bot
88red4cyl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2005 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88red4cylSend a Private Message to 88red4cylDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:
Maybe I’ll save it and sell it on Ebay. Or give it away in a contest.

Even if that is an April Fools joke, I still really want to get one of those. I think that think looks so cool!

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2005 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88red4cyl:

Even if that is an April Fools joke, I still really want to get one of those. I think that think looks so cool!

Well, The Cooper Mini one is about 20 bucks...and you can use the Fiero parts off a model, or a yatming, or a new Bright...

I'm actually gonna fix it up so it looks better, and finish it with some type of head. I was taking a few pics of it a few days ago, when I though of creating this thread. Sorry if I got a few of you drooling over a joke, but maybe you can build yer own now!

Have a good one...

-FieroRumor

sode

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2005 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sodeSend a Private Message to sodeDirect Link to This Post
hey fiero rumor do u have a pic of it as the car i am interested in how it would look when it is all together
Fierotech

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2005 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotechClick Here to visit Fierotech's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierotechDirect Link to This Post

(TECHNALLY, it WASN'T an April Fool's gag, I started the post on May 31st)

And then you used your time machine to bring it back to March, too, I bet...

Jeremy B.

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2005 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sode:

hey fiero rumor do u have a pic of it as the car i am interested in how it would look when it is all together

It doesn't actually transform. The mini cooper does, on their website...

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2005 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

FieroRumor

35007 posts
Member since Dec 2001

Originally posted by Fierotech:

And then you used your time machine to bring it back to March, too, I bet...

Jeremy B.

Wow, Drugs I hafta off get. Or more get sleep some.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock