Started on: 03-11-2005 05:49 AM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Gokart on 03-11-2005 02:36 PM
Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2005 05:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
This thread is not for the faint at heart when it come to cutting into doors and panels There is one spot where a 6X9 can be mounted and will have no interference from the window. I used the cardboard cutout on the back on the Pioneer 6X9 box as a template for both the door and the panel. First the door:

When making the holes for the panels, put the panel back in, then drill holes around the edge of the hole in door and center so you can line up the template accordingly. Mount the speakers directly to the door panels using your own 3 inch bolts with washers and lock washers and a piece of 1/8 plywood on the other side. This not only secures the speaker to the panel but also gives the magnet more clearance away from the window. I also used a piece of plastic sheeting over the top of the speaker as well just in case my dew wipes ever fail me and cause water intrusion.

[This message has been edited by Gokart (edited 03-11-2005).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2005 05:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
Finished look: Grills and frame painted to match the interior.

What an amazing sound difference No rattles or weird vibrations either and it's nice to have no more tweeter in the back of my head when I discarded the seatbelt speakers. I never heard them anyway with my "behind the seat" subs. I will make a thread tomorrow on how I built those.

Suufmeister

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2005 06:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SuufmeisterSend a Private Message to SuufmeisterDirect Link to This Post
Sweet. That looks great. I was wondering if 6x9s would work in the door as I was set to just modify the front dash to accept them. Now I'll have to rethink what I wanna do. Are those Pioneer 6x9s?
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2005 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Suufmeister:
Sweet. That looks great. I was wondering if 6x9s would work in the door as I was set to just modify the front dash to accept them. Now I'll have to rethink what I wanna do. Are those Pioneer 6x9s?

Yes. I have a Pioneer CD deck and 4X10's Pioneers up front in the dash. I made the 6X9's the rear speakers. My amp and 10" subs are both MTX.

Suufmeister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2005 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SuufmeisterSend a Private Message to SuufmeisterDirect Link to This Post
So you removed the headrest speakers. Do you have 4x6s in the rear pillars? Personally I think they're kinda useless. I'd love to see your sub setup behind the seats. Post a pic if ya got'em.

sonic50

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2005 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post
Ok, IT looks like you did a good job.

------------------

88gt build up! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/047402.html

batboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2005 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Nice, I like it. I have an extra pair of 5-1/4" Infinity speakers. Think I know where to mount 'em now.
Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2005 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
That is a nice job. Thanks for the write up. How does it sound?

------------------
-Chris -
Custom Gun Metal 86 GT 4.9 V8 5spd

Build up tread or MODS w/ Pics

FieroBUZZ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2005 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBUZZSend a Private Message to FieroBUZZDirect Link to This Post
Where's your window cranks?
liltobe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2005 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liltobeSend a Private Message to liltobeDirect Link to This Post
Very nice clean install, probably sounds just as good as it looks, Keep up the good work.
How did you cut the carpet nicely, maybe drill some holes and cut it out like that?

no window cranks with power windows.

Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2005 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Suufmeister:
So you removed the headrest speakers. Do you have 4x6s in the rear pillars? Personally I think they're kinda useless. I'd love to see your sub setup behind the seats. Post a pic if ya got'em.

Yes...I sold one set and gave one away to members here. They were okay, but I couldn't even hear them anymore after I installed the subs. I have pics ready of the build and may post tomorrow.

Originally posted by batboy:
Nice, I like it. I have an extra pair of 5-1/4" Infinity speakers. Think I know where to mount 'em now.

I think you'll have an easier time mounting 5-1/4's. I don't think the magnets are as deep too. Another thing before I forget, when you remove the panel you'll see that there are wires going across where you need to make your hole(maybe just pm's and pw's?) There's enough slack on them to remove the tie that holds them in place and move them above your hole. Do this first so they will be out of your way. Also, I did all my own 16 gauge speaker wiring directly from the back of the stereo so I had to drill behind this interior plastic and then into the side of the door. I taped the wire and cable tied it:

Originally posted by Black-Azz-GT:
That is a nice job. Thanks for the write up. How does it sound?

Sweet! You gotta have the subs for the bass too

Originally posted by FieroBUZZ:
Where's your window cranks?

I sawzailed them off as well as the mirror knob

Originally posted by liltobe:
How did you cut the carpet nicely, maybe drill some holes and cut it out like that?

Yes! I used a sabre saw after drilling my hole. Traced them first with a black marker. I used a dremmel to cut the hole in the door.

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock