3rd Batch of IMSA Pics (56k beware) by Back288
Started on: 02-23-2005 12:08 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: hyperv6 on 02-23-2005 06:05 PM
Back288

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Back288Send a Private Message to Back288Direct Link to This Post
Hello again, I found some more IMSA Fiero GTU and GTP negatives from Road America in the 80's. I think I posted the Dole GTU pics a year or two ago, but the others should be new. Still more to come, as soon as I find them.

By the way, it's hard to see in the scan but the stock Fiero above is towing the GTU. You can see a tow hook on the roof of the GTU car, when I took the picture they were hooked up together. Never saw a Fiero tow truck before that.

[This message has been edited by Back288 (edited 02-23-2005).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierohutch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohutchSend a Private Message to fierohutchDirect Link to This Post
those are some amazing cars, i'm glad somebody had the oppertunity to document them.

------------------

nightonfire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 03:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireDirect Link to This Post
WoW!!! Its always cool to see some pix of those beasts. Especially the GTU's those where very Hybrid, and from what I know were very competative on the circuit. Has any-one seen one of the GTU's lately, are they still functioning maybe by a privateer??
Oh Ya thanks for the Pix
Czechfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 06:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CzechfieroSend a Private Message to CzechfieroDirect Link to This Post

VERY NICE PICTURES!
Send me full size pics, please. Thanks!

fiero.gt@tiscali.cz

Luba

YellowRooster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for YellowRoosterSend a Private Message to YellowRoosterDirect Link to This Post
Great pics - Excellent
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Right click. Save as...
Right click. Save as...

Thanks, man! You rock!

Edit - I used to be a corner worker at Road Atlanta, and saw these guys run quite a bit. Never got to take any good pics, though. Was always too busy. Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 02-23-2005).]

Fiero Finale

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero FinaleSend a Private Message to Fiero FinaleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Right click. Save as...
Right click. Save as...

Thanks, man! You rock!

Word, lol. Also I apparently missed a day in Fiero class haha, so what is GTU?? Is it that car with the "Entech" on the front?? It looks very simliar to the 89 prototype(look at the door panels and rear). Or is it the "regular" looking Fiero infront of the IMSA in the first picture, also what does IMSA stand for?? What is the meaning of life?? Ok enough questions peace.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
hMMM.....I like the chop and doors, hehehehe

Back288

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back288Send a Private Message to Back288Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Finale:

Word, lol. Also I apparently missed a day in Fiero class haha, so what is GTU?? Is it that car with the "Entech" on the front?? It looks very simliar to the 89 prototype(look at the door panels and rear). Or is it the "regular" looking Fiero infront of the IMSA in the first picture, also what does IMSA stand for?? What is the meaning of life?? Ok enough questions peace.

It's been a while but if I remember correctly IMSA is International Motor Sports Association. Back then they ran 4 classes of cars all at the same time in the IMSA Camel GT Series. The GT had something to do with engine size (3.0 L? maybe...).

GTU = Under GT size, looked from the outside like stock cars with ground effects and spoilers
GTO = Over GT size, looked from the outside like stock cars with ground effects and spoilers
GTP = GT Prototype Light (the ones that look nothing like their stock counterpart) were smaller GTP's like the Spice Fieros
GTP = GT Prototype, full size, king of the hill, million dollar + sportscars such as the Porsche 962, BMW, Corvette, and the Nissan Prototypes
This is what I remember of the terms and classes, once again it's been a long time so the details may not be perfect.

It was fun watching all 4 classes run at once. The speed/handling differences made for some interesting moments. The regular looking one pulling the Dole car into the hauler was (without looking at the engine) a stock Fiero painted like the team's race cars. Hope this helps.

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
The GTU was under 2 liter if I recall. They were 4 cylinder and rotory engined cars.
The GTO was V8, V6 and turbo cars
The GTP and GTP light were different in engine and chassie size.

The GTU Fiero was the first car other than a RX7 to win in that class and the only American car to win in that class. The Fiero was the first American champ in the GTU class.

Keep an eye out as some of these cars are raced in some vintage event yet today and some small road racing classes.

The neatest car was the GTO Fiero. It ran only some races in 1987 and won it first time out. It ran a Chevy 90 degree V6 in a non transverse location. It GM had not pulled the plug who know where it would have gone. It was the smallest car in a field of Mustangs and Camaros.

The GTP light cars went on and raced as Firebirds in the GTP class. One was also used by Computech to win the GTP light class and many races with a Acura engine in it.

GTO Fiero picture courtesy of RED GT

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 02-23-2005).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock