Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  You think a 2.8 isn't worth it? Ohh, it is! (Build thread) (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
You think a 2.8 isn't worth it? Ohh, it is! (Build thread) by The Funkmaster
Started on: 01-29-2005 03:17 AM
Replies: 82
Last post by: The Funkmaster on 03-15-2005 08:55 AM
The Funkmaster

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2005 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Check your pm's for my number timmer. I'm off work after 3:30 weekdays and I'm fixing the car on the weekends... so anytime then works.

Steve

IP: Logged
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2005 06:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
If you saw the auction this weekend, they sold a Buick GN with a 209 cu in V6 with over 1200 horsepower. Had records that it run mid 7's.
spud321x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2005 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spud321xSend a Private Message to spud321xDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Funkmaster:

Steve

Man look at that Goatee!!!! I thought mine was long but its only half the size of yours! I will soon have mine to the length of yours.

This is going to be a very cool car when it gets done Im looking for to see some hp ratings.

Nick

Disillusion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2005 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DisillusionSend a Private Message to DisillusionDirect Link to This Post
I haven't seen Dave around for awhile, but if I run into him I'll ask him if it's had front end accident. I remember him saying it was in being painted for something and he had them paint the spoiler at the same time cause he'd just but it on..I think it was cause the paint was all faded and chipped on the front. so it could have been the hood just wasn't put on properly after that.
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2005 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post

If you saw the auction this weekend, they sold a Buick GN with a 209 cu in V6 with over 1200 horsepower. Had records that it run mid 7's.

wow... I'd like me one of them! That's stupid fast!

Spud321: Well, mate, there are many men who aspire to be as long as me... lol... it's longer than the pics show. I just trimmed it too, heh. It's annoying when grease from the car gets in it, though.
Keep growin' er for a year and a half, and you'll see the same results! Proven, tested formula! Only (3 easy payments of) 29.99!!!

And man, you aren't the only one interested in knowing what kinda HP this thing is gonna slap out at the wheels... I really have no idea! It's AWESOME! heeheehee...

My plans may have changed somewhat, I still am not sure. I had a cool thought today, and I have to measure out the engine bay (Well, MiZer's engine bay) to see if my idea can be made to work. It's a really cool idea!

It involves two turbochargers, a lot of piping, an intercooler, a scoop or two, an electric fan, and about 8 feet of 3" exhaust pipe. And the plan totally lacks a muffler.

Wish me luck!

MiZer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 211
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2005 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MiZerSend a Private Message to MiZerDirect Link to This Post
yes, much measuring will insue in my engine bay..

the plan is goodall around.. *snicker* pun..

------------------

The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2005 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Oh, that was FUNNY! lol.... You are poo.

The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2005 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
And now, RANDOM SHOTS of my car and associated parts!!! (These are the ones that actually work with pip.)

Pretty block! Pretty intakes!

Me using ratcheting adjustable wrench thingy. Cool tool! Adam looks on in UTTER AMAZEMENT.

Trying desperately to figure out how the inverse proportioning spring fits into the phase rectifier array.

I had no idea that the rear impact support was such a good shelf!

I'll get more soon! I know how much you love pictures! ...Oh, and Cliff, I feel bad using your bandwidth. I'll send you a donation when I have money again! Promise!

Steve

------------------

MiZer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2005 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MiZerSend a Private Message to MiZerDirect Link to This Post
ah, comming together nice. more work on the weekend!
spud321x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2005 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spud321xSend a Private Message to spud321xDirect Link to This Post
any updates on the project???

Nick

MiZer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2005 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MiZerSend a Private Message to MiZerDirect Link to This Post
no updates as of yet, no. he is awaiting clutch, and mounts.

hopefully the clutch will be there this week, and WCF is taking some time to ship his items, but, hopefully by the middle of the month.

PFF
System Bot
Musmaro13

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2005 02:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Musmaro13Click Here to visit Musmaro13's HomePageSend a Private Message to Musmaro13Direct Link to This Post
what kind of valve covers are those?

------------------
www.mistreetscene.org
1984 Pontiac Fiero
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT-Parts Car, Need anything?
Looking for the following stuff:
Sporty 5 Speed Car for under 1500, GT40 302 Heads, 302 Crankshaft, 2.8(preferred stroked to 3.1) Long Block, 82-84 S10 Distributor, 3G Trans AM spoiler, Sunbird Turbo Hood vents and a Daily Driver for under 1000.

ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2005 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post
wow, i havnt seen a 2.8 all done up nice in too long.

i must agree on the boost gage. ive used both and not having the vac side is like reading the last half of an interesting book.

Vonov

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2005 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Funkmaster:

My plans may have changed somewhat, I still am not sure. I had a cool thought today, and I have to measure out the engine bay (Well, MiZer's engine bay) to see if my idea can be made to work. It's a really cool idea!

It involves two turbochargers, a lot of piping, an intercooler, a scoop or two, an electric fan, and about 8 feet of 3" exhaust pipe. And the plan totally lacks a muffler.

Wish me luck!

Something to consider..I don't know if it'll help or not, but if you move the battery up front, and remove the engine compartment battery tray, it's amazing how much more room is there on the passenger side of the engine compartment...
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2005 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Musmaro13:

what kind of valve covers are those?

Those are the stock Fiero valve covers; just really really clean, and hit with a little aluminum paint. They look nice, eh?

Originally posted by Vonov:
Something to consider..I don't know if it'll help or not, but if you move the battery up front, and remove the engine compartment battery tray, it's amazing how much more room is there on the passenger side of the engine compartment...

I'm going to be putting the intercooler under the right hand vent, with an electric fan pulling air through it. I'll be hacking another vent into the right hand side of the car, opposite the stock air intake, and that's where the intercooler's cooling air will come from, then up and out the vent. A goodly idea, my friend.

And yes, still waiting for my various mounts and the clutch. One of my packages showed up today, but no one was home... So I'll be going to the post office to get it tomorrow. Probably my cradle mounts, so that should prove interesting when I try and install them...

I'm out!

Steve

The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2005 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Well, I got my Darrell Morse cradle mounts in and man, are they nice or what. Beautiful! I also got my stage 3 clutch and bored out TB, and a few new rear brake calipers. And a lot of little miscellaneous goodies. I have more yet to buy, and I might possibly be back on the road by *next* weekend. -sigh- more waiting. I'd show you pictures but I didn't take any.

Steve

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2005 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Street&Strip Performance:

The white numbers on that speedo are KM/H, the orange are the MPH, it's a metric speedo.

Does that mean the Tubo boost is measured in Pounds or Kilos?

The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2005 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
newton-meters! lol!

Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2005 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post
So did you port the heads or are they stock and What cam do u have in it.

Fieroking

The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2005 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
The heads are not ported. I will be doing that when I get the turbo setup; that is, sometime this summer. The cam is a comp cams custom grind, I can't remember the numbers right now but it's somewhere around ...275/275? I'm not entirely sure, it's been about 4 months since I picked it out It's got 440 lift at both ex and intake, and I'm using 1.6 roller tips. All new valve gear, et cetera.
spud321x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2005 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spud321xSend a Private Message to spud321xDirect Link to This Post
Where do you get those 1.6 rockers at? and what other modifications do you have to do in order for them to work.

Nick

------------------
You got a Nextel and want ringtone and wallpapers on it? Go here: www.nextelnoob.com, they'll give you a hand.

84' Convertible Stock Auto 4cyl
84' 4 Speed WON'T START!!!......Wait were did the motor go??
86' V6 Fastback GT 87000 Orignal Miles and Daily Driver

PFF
System Bot
ZeroC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2005 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZeroCClick Here to visit ZeroC's HomePageSend a Private Message to ZeroCDirect Link to This Post
1.6 rockers can be bought anywhere..
no extra work required

i bought mine from jegs.com

------------------
"This car is so good looking its almost indecent. - AutoWeek on the new 1986 GT"

Chilliwack Fieros
MSN Messanger tylercaddick@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by ZeroC (edited 02-15-2005).]

88fieroformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2005 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88fieroformulaClick Here to visit 88fieroformula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88fieroformulaDirect Link to This Post
This is a great thread. I love seeing what people can do with the 2.8's. I looke forward to seeing it in your car. Awesome job.

------------------
'89 LX Coupe 5.0
In loving memory of Israel Perez 1985-2004

'89 LX coupe 5.0 PICSMy old '88 Formula

David DeVoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2005 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David DeVoeSend a Private Message to David DeVoeDirect Link to This Post
Btw how exactly does the proportioning spring fit into the phase rectifyer array?
Malakyt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2005 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MalakytClick Here to visit Malakyt's HomePageSend a Private Message to MalakytDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David DeVoe:

Btw how exactly does the proportioning spring fit into the phase rectifyer array?

dont quote me but i think its at a 45 degree angle if it's a phase 2 rectifier ... if it's the phase one ... well, it shouldn't even come off. If that is the case get the phase 3 rectifier repair kit. Should fix it right up in a jiffy.

PS.

[This message has been edited by Malakyt (edited 02-16-2005).]

The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2005 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88fieroformula:

This is a great thread. I love seeing what people can do with the 2.8's. I looke forward to seeing it in your car. Awesome job.

Thanks very much! I'm looking forward to seeing it in my car too; it's been almost 6 months since I drove it! I can't wait...

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2005 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
Looking good funkmaster...... Your making it happen with putting in real good work instead of ppl putting 125shot of nos on there 2.8s and claiming there fast. Ps I see your going turbo charged... Are you getting the crankshaft balanced ?

Keep up the good build and keep us updated.

BTW your engine looks awsome.

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 02-16-2005).]

TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2005 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
for a turbo if you wanna see what kinda power it will make go for a TD06 im sure that will be big enough.... you might even be able to run 8psi and still make good power

------------------
'86 Fiero GT
My Fiero XoticRydz Mid-Rear Madness
I am the signature virus, please put me in your signature so I can spread
Be Excellent To Each Other" - Bill S. Preston Esquire Ted Theadore Logan

The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2005 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Everything has been balanced, actually. So I should be good to go... until I get a custom forged crank so I can pass the 300hp barrier. heh heh heh... so many plans, so little money

Thanks for the compliments guys!

And tell me more about this TD06, please... What make is it? If it's affordable, that would be good. Some of the turbos I have been looking at are rather ...pricey.

Cars are so much fun!

4BanGinFun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2005 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 4BanGinFunClick Here to visit 4BanGinFun's HomePageSend a Private Message to 4BanGinFunDirect Link to This Post
cool thread... soon my 2.8 will be coming out.... i hope to freashin it up some with a couple goodies too
spud321x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2005 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spud321xSend a Private Message to spud321xDirect Link to This Post
The turbo i'm using is a IHI RHB5 off of a MX-6. The guys over on the MX-6 forum claim that it can hold between 16 and 18 psi! head over to www.mx6.com and see if one of the guys have one sittin around they'd be willing to sell.

Nick

------------------
You got a Nextel and want ringtones and wallpapers on it? Go here: www.nextelnoob.com, they'll give you a hand.

84' Convertible Stock Auto 4cyl
84' 4 Speed WON'T START!!!......Wait were did the motor go??
86' V6 Fastback GT 87000 Orignal Miles and Daily Driver Soon to be a Turbo 2.8

PFF
System Bot
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2005 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
t3h update:

Tomorrow at 8-9am, me, MiZer and Adam (trans am owner) will be working on my car. First we have to go to the auto parts store, as they gave me two calipers that are in fact not complete (One has no ebrake lever, the other has no bolts/sleeves. Arr.) Next, we will attempt to mount the engine to the cradle and get it into the car, for the first time in 5 months or so. Hopefully everyhting goes to plan... Whoo! If everything goes well, I may be driving the toy by Sunday. Maybe.

Steve

MiZer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2005 03:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MiZerSend a Private Message to MiZerDirect Link to This Post
8-9? rrriiigghhttt.. try 10-11.. hehehe.

see yah then!

The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2005 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Well, yesterday we got pretty much all the major stuff done! The engine was placed on the cradle, the cradle was placed in the car, and the car was placed upon the ground! I was very happy. We started work at 9:30 or so, and the guys left around 6... I kept working until about 8:30. It was awesome. The brakes are bled and functional (I think...) and all that's left to do today is wire it up and set the timing... then check all the torque specs that exist, just to make sure nothing will go flying off the car at speed. That would be what I like to call 'bad'. We have to bleed the clutch, which as far as I have heard should be un-fun, and after that we're ready to go, I think. Heh. I'm very excited.

Plan for break-in:
Break in cam/lifters, change oil. Break in rings, change oil. Drive responsibly for 5,000km.
Break out the funk, change oil. Drive like a madman.

I have been thinking about my turbo setup rather a lot lately. I think that what I will do before the turbo is acquired is upgrade the brakes and suspension. I believe that having a good-handling car that brakes very well and is kinda fast is better than having a 'stupid fast' car with poor brakes and bad handling. I think that I'm getting wiser in my old age.

However, as far as the turbo goes, I still cling voraciously to my idea of a twin setup with the turbos acting as the mufflers in a set of dual straight pipes... thanks to Timmer who suggested removing the lower half of the trunk to make room. I may be forced to do that.

I will need ignition stuff soon; MSD stuff that is. Anyone know if they make a distributor, coil and wires specifically for the Fiero? I looked at their site but all I can find is 90* v6 gear. Arr.

We had many pictures taken of the whole process; they will be up as soon as my photographer (Dad, lol) gets them uploaded to his computer and mails them to me. They are pretty. Very pretty. There's even one picture taken of me where (after ten hours of work) I look like I was pulled from a mine or something. MiZer summed it up well with "You look like you caught fire at some point." He had a good thought there, and you know, I think that I may have somewhere along the voyage...

Today we complete the mighty journey. The car will be running today, or I will take my own life in ritual seppuku. (Well, maybe not. It's still up in the air.) At any rate, we'll have it running today, we'll break it in today, and by God, I will drive it out of the garage under its own power!

WOOT! Today is a great day, indeed. Look forward to seeing many pretty pictures of my car and expensive pieces of metal!

Disillusion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2005 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DisillusionSend a Private Message to DisillusionDirect Link to This Post
Just out of curiosity...how much money do you have into teh engine so far? can't wait to see "finished" pictures
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2005 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
I am afraid to count up any receipts, as that would terrify me and I wouldn't spend any more on the car... But the numbers by rough count: Engine rebuild: 5,040; Accessories: about 400 or 500 (That's pipes and bolts and other stuff to make it work); Mounts: about 700 or so; Clutch: 500...

I guess about 7,000? Maybe more. I have put rather a lot into this thing. Ehh...

We didn't get it running today. I absolutely HATE A/C and will be ripping it out at the soonest possible time. I think GM couldn't find a worse place to run the A/C lines, so they put them in the most inconvenient location possible. Of course, the lines are stiff like wrought iron, so can I put the wiring harness there? noo... that would be silly. What about coolant pipes? ARR! I hate that A/C. I was very frustrated today.

However, we might get it going tomorrow. We'll see... most of the frustrating stuff was taken care of today. I think. Clutch needs bleeding yet; it's very soft. Hmm.

I GO!

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2005 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
it may just be 'soft' ... have you measured the amount of 'throw' at the transmission?
The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2005 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
No, I haven't done that yet... I just had a seat and did a quick feel of the pedal. Feels like there's just some weak spring tension back there. I'll check it out more thoroughly tomorrow...

I have pictures, unfortunately I also have a little sister who *loves* to download random stuff, click on pretty moving pictures, and has an idiotic need to go to 'rate my face/body/ass/hair...etc' sites. Hence, my computer takes about 10 minutes to download ANY of my pictures from email to the computer. I'll upload 'em over at MiZer's place, and then you can see some real cool stuff. Like clutches, intakes, blocks, cradles, hoists, and of course me and the lads. Looking sinister. And stuff.

Tomorrow, perhaps? Be there or BE SQUARE!

I'm outtiez.

The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2005 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
Slave cylinder.

ARR.

P/O decided to torque down the ol' bleeder valve. Real good and tight, eh? Talk about stripped; I can spin it by hand. So... I need a new one and I'm out of money. Payday's coming, though, and I'll be doing more work on the car. yay! ...BTW, if anyone has a 1986 v6 5 speed getrag slave cylinder lying around... you know who needs it! I have a little money lying around yet... let me know!

Steve

The Funkmaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2005 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
The car is running! I drove it around a bit, did an alignment in my driveway (I'm just that good ) and now it's pretty much 100%! I have to tweak a few things, and fix a few exhaust leaks, but it's ready to roll... I'll put some insurance on the toy, and this Saturday I'll be cruising with the West Coast club. I'm really quite happy! I have some pretty pics to throw at you in a few moments...

Steve

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock