Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  My Mexican Fiero Adventure Begins!! (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
My Mexican Fiero Adventure Begins!! by cadero2dmax
Started on: 01-10-2005 07:50 AM
Replies: 74
Last post by: roys88fiero on 03-16-2005 09:44 PM
JamesCurtis

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2005 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
archie, you have a couple broken links there. Doesn't look like a 621F nor a 622F exist on your website. Did ya forget to upload em'?

Anyways, sounds like you had a blast! I'll be sure to be on the lookout for a chop-top fiero next time i'm down in mexico

EDIT: I own page 2 =D
------------------
96k Miles, 2nd owner

[This message has been edited by JamesCurtis (edited 01-18-2005).]

IP: Logged
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2005 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JamesCurtis:

archie, you have a couple broken links there. Doesn't look like a 621F nor a 622F exist on your website. Did ya forget to upload em'?

Anyways, sounds like you had a blast! I'll be sure to be on the lookout for a chop-top fiero next time i'm down in mexico

Great, very good. They were up there whe I posted that post. That means that FINALLY Network Solutions pointed my web site to the new server that was supposed to go online last Wednesday.

I'll try to get them fixed.

Archie

update: My Webmaster Mike Orme has fixed it, He's the best.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 01-19-2005).]

Ales

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2005 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AlesSend a Private Message to AlesDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

Here is George unstraping the car.......... I'll bet this is as cold as that car has ever been.

Archie

Hey Archie,

Im seeing that you got my car already, thats great, I cant wait to have it back with the all mighty LT1 inside !!!, and you are certain that this is the coldest weather this car has ever seen.

Ales

Edited for spelling ...

[This message has been edited by Ales (edited 01-20-2005).]

Ales

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2005 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlesSend a Private Message to AlesDirect Link to This Post

Ales

249 posts
Member since Mar 2003
Hey Ryan / Hey Everyone,

I got the pics scanned and here they are:

In this pic we were waiting at the notary office to get a notarized lawyer letter so he can get my car in to the United States without having any problems with customs or police for being a Mexican car and belonging to another person (this was the first day that George arrived to Guadalajara, it was around 5 pm) :

In this pic George is wearing his new sombrero and his new sarape, my wife took him out to a market to buy this things while I was still at work:

And here we were together the night before he drove back to the US:

This pics where taken the next morning (~8 am) while we were loading the Fiero in to his trailer:

more to come ...

Ales

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2005 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlesSend a Private Message to AlesDirect Link to This Post

Ales

249 posts
Member since Mar 2003
And here we are with the Fiero completely loaded in the trailer:

The following pictures are from my wife, because without her my car would never have gone to Archies site for an LT1 transplant, actually whithout her I would never had a Fiero, 2 years ago I was looking for a Mustang 73 Mach 1, and she convinced me to buy the Fiero and there it was when the addiction started, Im glad she convinced me to buy this car

Gerge:
Since we didnt had that much time to show you the city, here are some samples of Guadalajara Jalisco, Mexico:

And here I am :

P.S. Im sure that George its going to post some of his notes about traveling to Mexico.

I Hope that everyone have enjoyed this pictures
Ales

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2005 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
is George trailering the car back, or will it be driven?

v8 fieros are fun.

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com
Yellow Formula Signature

• 88 Yellow FORMULA
  • ZZ3 HSR, 345hp, 390lb-ft. Est to be done one of these days.
  • V8 buildup thread
  • My Shower Cam
  • At mile 20 I thought I was dead At mile 22 I wished I was dead At mile 24 I knew I was dead At mile 26.2 I realized I had become too tough to kill
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2005 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
Cool pictures!
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2005 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ales:

I love this picture, George is saying, "We don't need no stinkin' badges"

Archie

cadero2dmax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2005 06:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cadero2dmaxSend a Private Message to cadero2dmaxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

I love this picture, George is saying, "We don't need no stinkin' badges"

Archie

For those of you that have known me as long as Archie, you will notice the mustache and beard I have started. I am 61yo and have been clean shaven my entire life. But since my retirement from American Airlines management in December, I decided "why not?". As a matter of fact, I guess now that I am unemployed and homeless (been living out of the camper on my truck for most of the past couple months) I need to look the part!

I am on my way to make the last run that I need to do in order to be caught up. Promised this car mid-January, and I am a little over a week late getting the job done. Something that I try to be very conscious about - being dependable.

Anyway, when I return Monday or Tuesday I will write the summary I promised (supposed to be bad weather en route so I will play that by ear).

G

Ales

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2005 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlesSend a Private Message to AlesDirect Link to This Post

Bump ...

RTNmsds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2005 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RTNmsdsClick Here to visit RTNmsds's HomePageSend a Private Message to RTNmsdsDirect Link to This Post
FYI, George made it over here to SC on Sunday (1-23) about 2 pm. Spent a few hours visiting, then back south he went eventually turning to head west for home. Think he was planning to stop by and look at a new rig he saw on the way over here. Great to meet you George - and thanks for the haul !! Looking forward to reading your summations about you trip south of the border.

Bob

PFF
System Bot
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2005 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Just remember if you ever get in trouble in mexico, just tell them "tu madre hace amor con mi perro"
Dowdian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2005 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DowdianClick Here to visit Dowdian's HomePageSend a Private Message to DowdianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GT3.4DOHC:

Just remember if you ever get in trouble in mexico, just tell them "tu madre hace amor con mi perro"

Yipes.

musicman_L7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2005 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for musicman_L7Send a Private Message to musicman_L7Direct Link to This Post

Yeah, that's gonna get you out of trouble really fast.

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2005 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Thanks a lot 86GT3.4DOHC, that will come in real handy next time I'm in Mexico....sheesh

Thanks for the pics of the Mexican Adventure. It looks really beautiful there.

Mach10

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2005 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mach10Send a Private Message to Mach10Direct Link to This Post
Dear God, I ***LOVE*** those wheels!

What are they?

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2005 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
Ales,

Thanks for posting those photos! Guadalajara is looks very nice. I hope you can make a show in Texas someday. There is a nice Fiero show in San Antonio every spring and a CFOG event in October in Austin. It would be great if ya'll could come up!

Also, your wife is very pretty. I imagine that blond hair is not too common in Mexico, and she probably turns a lot of heads. It's weird to think a woman got you into Fiero's... mine just tolerates my obsession.

Goerge, the facial hair fits you. Does Jan like it?
and fuel jelling? What is up with that? There's thousands of Dodge's in Illinois, why is your truck having trouble?

Ales

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2005 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlesSend a Private Message to AlesDirect Link to This Post

Jajajajajaja ... you certanly going to get out of trouble if you say that !!!

Ales

Ales

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2005 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlesSend a Private Message to AlesDirect Link to This Post

Ales

249 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by jscott1:

Thanks for the pics of the Mexican Adventure. It looks really beautiful there.

Actually it really is very beautiful in here, these is our winter time in here, and if you ever want to come to Mexico, you are very welcome, and you have a place to stay in my house !!!

Ales

[This message has been edited by Ales (edited 01-27-2005).]

Ales

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2005 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlesSend a Private Message to AlesDirect Link to This Post

Ales

249 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by Mach10:

Dear God, I ***LOVE*** those wheels!

What are they?

Hey Mach10,

These wheels are Alessio Montecarlo, they are 17 inches, 7.5 wide and 35 offset, they are mounted in 235/45/17´s in the front, and 255/45/17´s in the back, on a completely stock suspension, it does rides like its on rails with only swaping the rims and tires !!!

Ales

Ales

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2005 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlesSend a Private Message to AlesDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blakeinspace:
Thanks for posting those photos! Guadalajara is looks very nice. I hope you can make a show in Texas someday. There is a nice Fiero show in San Antonio every spring and a CFOG event in October in Austin. It would be great if ya'll could come up!

Hi Blake,

Thanks for the invitation, I will try to go to at least one of this events in the 2005, I will let you know ...

Im glad that you liked the pictures ...

Greeting ...
Ales

PFF
System Bot
cadero2dmax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2005 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cadero2dmaxSend a Private Message to cadero2dmaxDirect Link to This Post
Some impressions I left Mexico with after my adventure:

Mexico is a very poor country. Unlike our class structure, there seems to be just two classes – those that have and those that don’t. The people in the larger cities and towns are the “rich”, and those that live in the rural areas are “poor”.

Once you get away from the cities, the night is lit by cut up 55 gallon barrels that are burning some sort of fuel – my guess is kerosene. You see these barrels lining the roadside; vendors’ selling their wares in lean-to’s built with sticks that are covered in old cloth and rags. Their “wares” might be some sort of drink, let’s say coca-cola. They might have just two or three bottles of this coke to sell, and when those are sold they close up their “shop”. Those vendors that have a larger inventory, or tough luck selling their “stuff” light the barrels and continue into the night until everything is sold. The later it gets, the fewer of these burning barrels are visible.

I saw several homes constructed of pallets, covered with a tarpaper. Lanterns are what are used at night to light the homes. I passed an electrical power plant with not a single home around it lit by electricity, only Coleman style lanterns. The power plant was there to serve the cities.

There were some islands of light at night in the countryside, however - The Pemex stations. The government controls all the fuel and gas in Mexico. A great idea, by the way – gas and diesel is a lot less expensive in Mexico (once you get the hang of converting pesos per liter into dollars per gallon). And you pay the same price wherever you go!! These stations seem to be the “hub” of activity at night in rural Mexico, BTW.

The cities, on the other hand, are bright, vibrant, and alive. They “wake up” at night. I will describe what appears to be the typical day in the life of urban Mexico (sharing the normal workday I spent with my hosts). We got up at around 7:00 or 7:30. After a shower and light breakfast, the day begins. The workday seems to be from around 9:00AM until around 2:00 PM, when it is mealtime. Now - unlike our dining habits her in the U.S. - the Mexicans have their largest meal at mid-day. Then there are a couple hours before they go back to work, around 4:00 or so. Then they work until around 7:00. Then a light meal, and the party begins!

The Mexican people - rich or poor - are a very friendly people. The “mi casa, su casa (my house is your house) mentality is for real. They open up their hearts and their homes to you in the blink of an eye. They WANT to help you, as a visitor to their country. I couldn’t help but think about the attitudes the Mexican people have to endure here as opposed to the way I was treated in their country - - and I promised myself to be a little more tolerant.

My next submission will discuss the cuisine that I ate, the markets that I visited, and topics from the last few notes that haven’t already been shared. For example, the crime (or lack of it), my impressions of the Mexican Federales and military, the roads and highways, and the impact of NAFTA. Plus a couple other random thoughts.

Thanks for sharing my adventure with me!

G

cadero2dmax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2005 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cadero2dmaxSend a Private Message to cadero2dmaxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KissMySSFiero:

is George trailering the car back, or will it be driven?

v8 fieros are fun.

Ales and his wife will fly from Guadalajara to Laredo to meet me and the car, they will drive it from Laredo to Guadalajara themselves.

We have decided that I will meet them in Laredo, but we haven't decided whether to trailer it or have me drive it to Laredo and fly back to Tulsa.

G

cadero2dmax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2005 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cadero2dmaxSend a Private Message to cadero2dmaxDirect Link to This Post

cadero2dmax

1266 posts
Member since Oct 2001

Originally posted by blakeinspace:

George, the facial hair fits you. Does Jan like it?
and fuel jelling? What is up with that? There's thousands of Dodge's in Illinois, why is your truck having trouble?

She hasn't said!

Diesel has a habit of gelling if it gets cold enough. I bought fuel at the Flying J in Sullivan, MO and did not put anti-gel in the tank. In the -5 degree temp, the fuel got pretty thick sitting overnight. And it wasn't mentioned that my batteries (both of them) were so cold that the little 12V heater I had in the camper drained them down enough that the truck wouldn't start. Paid to have the batteries charged (can't just jump them - the Cummins takes quite a bit to start) and then got about 5 miles when the truck started blowing white smoke (in clouds) and quit. All that the truck needed was to sit in a heated garage for about 4 or 5 hours, and all was well.

Better believe I don't shut my truck off in less than 30 degree weather any more - I just let it idle all night like the big rigs.And I also carry a jug of anti-gel with me to put in the tank when it gets that cold from now on!!

G

Ales

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2005 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlesSend a Private Message to AlesDirect Link to This Post
Bump ...
Doug Chase

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2005 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug ChaseSend a Private Message to Doug ChaseDirect Link to This Post
Hi George! Good to see you Sunday [George delivered a car out to my neck of the woods]!

I finally made it back to Pennock's for the first time in a couple months and I just caught up on your Mexican adventure. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of it.

By the way, I noticed the goatee and it looks good. I didn't realize this is the first time you've ever grown facial hair. Come over to the dark side.

------------------
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom roll cage and exhaust fabrication

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2005 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Ouch! Now that bump hurts.
cadero2dmax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2005 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cadero2dmaxSend a Private Message to cadero2dmaxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Ouch! Now that bump hurts.

Since my retirement, I have been telling everybody that I am unemployed and homeless (I stay more in motels and my camper than at home).

Might as well look the part - - right Doug??

G

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2005 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
I have put the build of Ales car at this thread. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/060113.html

Archie

Ales

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlesSend a Private Message to AlesDirect Link to This Post
Bump to the top ...
Ales

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2005 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlesSend a Private Message to AlesDirect Link to This Post
Just Keeping it Alive ...

PFF
System Bot
cadero2dmax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2005 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cadero2dmaxSend a Private Message to cadero2dmaxDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I'm ready to make the trip back that way (right now I am in Tennessee headed for Bradenton, FL).

Any idea when the car will be ready?

G

cadero2dmax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2005 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cadero2dmaxSend a Private Message to cadero2dmaxDirect Link to This Post
Ales called me last night as I drove (empty) from Baton Rouge to Shreveport LA to pick up a Corvette for delivery to Denver.

Anyway, he advise me that he has some time off next week, and both he and his lovely wife will be flying to Chicago to drive their new Archies conversion back to Mexico (instead of my hauling it to the border for them as we originally planned).

Although their schedule hasn't been set yet, I would like to see if any Fiero owners in the following cities would like to meet with them for a cuppa coffee or a sandwich, and some good old fashioned commaderie (along with any and all tall tales about Fieros that can be thought up).

Their trip will take them along I-55 from Chicago to St. Louis, I-44 from St. Louis to Oklahoma City, I-35 from Oklahoma City to Laredo. They would like to meet with folks somewhere around Bloomington IL (Dave, I can't find your contact info). Also in St Louis, Tulsa, Dallas/Ft. Worth, and Houston - and any other parts between that Fiero owners could meet them -.

I will try to be back in Tulsa to meet with them and set something up at that stop, who else is interested in meeting and chatting with Ales and Lulu anywhere else along their route??

G

cadero2dmax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2005 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cadero2dmaxSend a Private Message to cadero2dmaxDirect Link to This Post

cadero2dmax

1266 posts
Member since Oct 2001
I copied the above and started a new thread:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/050104.html

Please post any replies about meeting Ales and Lulu on that thread.

Thx

G

roys88fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2005 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for roys88fieroClick Here to visit roys88fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to roys88fieroDirect Link to This Post
Hey Ales, you have a pretty sweet car, and its cool that you are going to get an LT1 transplant done by the famous Archie! ! ! know what? my parents are from Ciudad Chihuahua in Mexico. I have been down there many times and love it, although i have never seen any fieros, but my cousins claim they have. Anyways, just sharing
-Roy

------------------
Real Sports cars only have 2 seats....

Matching numbers GT
#17889 of 26,402 made in 1988, 1of 241 yellow GT's

[This message has been edited by roys88fiero (edited 03-16-2005).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page