Started on: 10-25-2004 06:35 PM
Replies: 28
Last post by: timwdegner on 11-10-2004 09:22 PM
LoW_KeY

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2004 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
well I'm going to do this with pics if anyones interested

My friend was supposed to help me, but I'm not sure what happened to him, so I decided to tear into it today myself. I have to test fit the speakers and I'll nab pictures when I do that and mod the heating ducts. Here's what I got so far

------------------
Fiero Formula | AudioFreeze | CarDomain

[This message has been edited by LoW_KeY (edited 10-27-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
KingOfKings

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2004 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KingOfKingsClick Here to visit KingOfKings's HomePageSend a Private Message to KingOfKingsDirect Link to This Post
Ohh man, good luck and don't be scurred
fiero67

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 107
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2004 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Direct Link to This Post
Well, since you didnt sell me your 4x10's I guess I can watch what you are doing and maybe I can use 6x9's instead....LOL

just kidding, do continue with the pictures, Id like to see how you are going to do this. John

Solo2

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
User Banned

Report this Post10-25-2004 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Solo2Send a Private Message to Solo2Direct Link to This Post
Been Ther Done That.

"(4) four – 6” x 9” speakers mounted in the dash"
Solo2

LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2004 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
I know people have done it just no pictures or if there is some they're very hard to find. Sorry about the 4x10's I hate putting people on a list when I sell things.

might have them back in tomorrow, I have to figure out why no sounds coming from the passenger side.. well there is just very little.

I'd like to know how on earth you have 4 in there, we need pics

[This message has been edited by LoW_KeY (edited 10-25-2004).]

Solo2

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-25-2004 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Solo2Send a Private Message to Solo2Direct Link to This Post
Back to Back. Meaning magnet motor structure to magnet motor structure, 180degs. Had to fab a bracket to carry that weight. Oh yea, need to trim a little off the HVAC ducting. Those heavy 30 oz or 40 oz magnets get in the way. I had to do a little trimming myself.

FYI - Before I left Jensen (Speakers) I purchase thru the employee sale thousands of dollars worth of audio equipment that cost me pennys on the dollar. Have six ( 6 ) 6" x 9" 3-way Jensens in the fiero alone plus a large 3-way box cabinet located on the rear glass deck shelf.

You are doing what it takes which is removing the entire dash assembly. Makes it easlier to make that bracket.
Sorry no pictures, never took it because it is an easy thing to do.

"If there is a will, then there is a way"

PontiacJ8
From: Clay, New York w/ all the trees & the cars hidden in between!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2004 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacJ8Click Here to visit PontiacJ8's HomePageSend a Private Message to PontiacJ8Direct Link to This Post
*bump*
how's it coming along?
LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2004 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
bit of a delay.. kind of a lazy day today I should have an update tomorrow.
LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2004 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
ok heres what it looks like before the minor modifications, along with the speaker and all that good stuff.

test fit as you can see the magnet interfers with the heating duct

last but not least the depth, I'll be posting more.. pretty much the final stuff, mounting it, what the heating duct looks like, yada, yada, yada.

Solo2

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-27-2004 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Solo2Send a Private Message to Solo2Direct Link to This Post
"test fit as you can see the magnet interfers with the heating duct"

Did I not say something about this before?

"Oh yea, need to trim a little off the HVAC ducting. Those heavy 30 oz or 40 oz magnets get in the way. I had to do a little trimming myself." Solo2

vwaltdog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2004 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vwaltdogSend a Private Message to vwaltdogDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by vwaltdog (edited 10-27-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
BlueGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2004 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlueGTSend a Private Message to BlueGTDirect Link to This Post
VWaltdog... that looks good... just two things I am wondering about.

1. Wouldn't cutting into the ductwork cause deterioration of the speaker from the vent or are do you planning on sealing the cut? The vent seems to bring in moisture.

2. Do you plan on sealing the open space around the opening on top? If I remember correctly, most speakers perform better when the front is separated from the back.

Keep us up to date on the progress Low_Key... I might have to try this myself.

Edited for gramatical errors.
---------------
BlueGT

[This message has been edited by BlueGT (edited 10-27-2004).]

vwaltdog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2004 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vwaltdogSend a Private Message to vwaltdogDirect Link to This Post
I ended up taking out the ductwork it was in the way. I didn't seal the open space. The speakers performed great!
LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2004 05:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
I knew you had to cut the duct work, kind of explaining this for everyone.. I got held up yesterday, could mount them myself but want to get them sealed up and my friend has a good way of going about it.
LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2004 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post

LoW_KeY

8081 posts
Member since Oct 2001
first part we had to trim a little part, I ran upstairs to get my cam and my dad trimmed it off before hand

I have both of them filled and patched I'll get those pics tomorrow waiting for the stuff to dry I didn't cut into the defrost of the vent portion so that still works and speakers fit.

[This message has been edited by LoW_KeY (edited 10-28-2004).]

BDF88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2004 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BDF88GTSend a Private Message to BDF88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LoW_KeY:

ok heres what it looks like before the minor modifications, along with the speaker and all that good stuff.

lol... do you take your pictures at midnight?
so far it looks great, keep up the good work!

LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2004 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
naww.. usually the butt crack of dawn, I messed up a few settings on my camera in those shots got it all fixed

ugh I can't type lately

[This message has been edited by LoW_KeY (edited 10-28-2004).]

LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2004 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post

LoW_KeY

8081 posts
Member since Oct 2001
last but not least.. the modification of the heating duct all sealed and ready to go that side anyways. It dried faster then I thought so I snagged pics, I called it quits on the other side. I'll deal with that tomorrow morning (painting) while I drink my coffee

[This message has been edited by LoW_KeY (edited 10-29-2004).]

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2004 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
hmmm - I am inspired.
was planning subwoofers in the rear firewall this winter, maybe some 6x9s to replace them stooopid 4x10's would be a good thing too.
PontiacJ8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2004 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacJ8Click Here to visit PontiacJ8's HomePageSend a Private Message to PontiacJ8Direct Link to This Post
bump for all to see
Fierokid87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2004 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Direct Link to This Post
wow that does not look all that hard to do. Maybe Ill do that to mine

------------------

PFF
System Bot
PontiacJ8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2004 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacJ8Click Here to visit PontiacJ8's HomePageSend a Private Message to PontiacJ8Direct Link to This Post
Kinda off topic- What's the mounting depth of the stock 4x10s?
LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2004 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
on hold right now.. addressing my speaker wire on my passenger side.. doesn't pick up the speaker all the way for some reason going to address this tomorrow and hopefully get cracking back down on this
LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2004 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
didn't get a shot of the other side, but its angeled flexible stuff then painted it (not sure why not like anyone will see it)

I still for the life of me can't get sound on the passenger side, but it comes in fine on the drivers side. So I'll have to do more investigating before I mount this puppy back in

[This message has been edited by LoW_KeY (edited 10-30-2004).]

LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2004 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
anyone still following, before you install them back in you might need to bend the taps where the dash mounts. So that the speakers clear and the rest should be easy sailing
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2004 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
Nice work and good build up thread... would pos ya... but that happened loooong ago.

What did you use to seal the ducting? and where did you buy it?

LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2004 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
well this may sound funny.. but my dad does model air planes, and I used balsa wood painted with this stuff he called dope. Makes the very flexible balsa wood like a rock! and then used bondo to fill in the huge gaps. Yeah it doesn't sound pretty, but it sealed it. I think my dad was going to find some flexible plastic to put in there, but he said it was too thick and the speakers would've hit on it.

Putting the dash back in I did have a mishap I broke the stalk that lets you adjust the steering wheel. I guess it wasn't my week breaking stuff left and right.. my cd player took a dump, oil/battery gauge casing broke and the stalk on my steering wheel. It's all done, now for reparing the little stuff that went out the 6x9's sound unbelievable. I thought to myself when putting the dash back in after breaking crap was it really worth it? yeah but if you do it take your time and don't break stuff

oh yeah if you got questions feel free to pm me if you want more info.

[This message has been edited by LoW_KeY (edited 11-01-2004).]

achawkins

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2004 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for achawkinsClick Here to visit achawkins's HomePageSend a Private Message to achawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Can I have a little more info / details on sealing up the duct hole? How did you do it?

------------------
________Marty

timwdegner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2004 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timwdegnerSend a Private Message to timwdegnerDirect Link to This Post
Do you have a couple post-installation pics? I'd be interested in seeing a top view of each dash speaker mounting location with the 6x9s in place.

Thanks, this was a good read! That's a positive rating for you.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock