Started on: 10-17-2004 09:57 PM
Replies: 51
Last post by: Riceburner98 on 11-04-2004 07:04 PM
lildevil

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2004 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
Thought i post some pics or those doing 3800 swaps and need some ideas for exhaust.
Heres two examples of a 3800SC exhaust that will allow the trunk to remain unmodified. Also they use stock 3800 exhaust manifold

The dual tip one uses tube mufflers from FullLineExhaust.com. And a pair of Magnaflow tips. The sound is QUIET with only the blower noise audible at WOT. LOTs of people have questioned me about the car after this exhaust was added cause they say they've never herad anything like it. One even tought i had a Turbo on the car. The cat convertor is a Subaru type from magnaflow.
The bottom exhaust is one i welded up for comparison. it uses the stock 3800 downpipe and a 20 dollar section of J bent exhaust tubing from Summit. the tube muffler is a GlassPack from Full line Exhaust and cost only 15 dollars. Cheap and easy to do. It also resulted in 114 mph trap speeds in the quarter ( without headers) whereas the top one the best i could get was 109 mph. The bottom one with the glasspacks is surprisingly quiet when compared to the Flowmaster 80 exhaust on my bros 3800SC car.

I plan on duplicating the top exhaust but using the glass packs instead of the mufflers. Maybe i can get something somewhere in the middle....quiet but FAST!

------------------
Earl Sessions
1985 Fiero w/ 1998 Supercharged 3.8 V-6
Best ET:3.0 pulley 12.44 @ 109.19mph
2.75 pulley 12.20@ 110.90 mph

"NO Juice....Just BOOST!"

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
lildevil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2004 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2004 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
thats cool

a guy on club GP was asking about fiero's an l67 swap, in the fiero section so i posted some info there and a pic of your car, maybe you could chime in with more info on your setup

------------------
Rich AIM: ONE FAST 2M8:98 Black GTP 2 Dr
3.25 pulley,magnuson snout, 72mm TB, RAT PCM,
TOG Headers, Borla cat back, 3” to mufflers, No cat, 160 stat, Big brakes, Eibach's, KYB’s PRJ 10mm Wires, autolite 104’s, and more
white-- 86se V6 daily driver--Slammed FOR SALE $1,500!
Gold--- 86se 355 SBC almost finished
92 325I slammed with basic mods

Nebiros88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2004 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nebiros88Click Here to visit Nebiros88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Nebiros88Direct Link to This Post
Earl,
Looks pretty interesting. Quick question for ya and maybe you have already answered this elsewhere... Why use stock manifolds? just curious.
thanks
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2004 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nebiros88:

Earl,
Looks pretty interesting. Quick question for ya and maybe you have already answered this elsewhere... Why use stock manifolds? just curious.
thanks

This is my answer to your queston NEB. First the stock manifold are cheap(of course) and can be ported/coated to give you better flow. If going with GTP style headers(TOG,SLP,ect.) then the cost goes way up and from reading and talking to a few ppl, not much more gain with headers then over ported manifolds. Then you have the WCF headers that dump down (well kinda sorta close to the stock location) that in my opinion are about the same as ported stock manifolds. For the 3800 I am doing now, I am using WCF headers cause they came with the unfinished project that I bought. For my next swap, I will use either ported and coated manifolds or aftermarket GTP headers if I can get ahold of a set cheap. Thanks for sharing the pictures and the vendor for picking up the parts to build such an exhaust, I will need it in the near future. By chance do you have any part numbers to the mufflers and the Cat?

lildevil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2004 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
Personally i don't think it makes that much of a difference when you keep the exhaust as short as i am here. Plus the cost of the headers is too high. I could make 4 off these exhaust for the price of one set of headers. My trap speeds are the same as those with headers and more mods. So i am not totally sold on headers yet. They look good, don't get me wrong though. Oh I can take this exhaust off and swap it in less then 15 minutes. Only 6 bolts to undo and its off. Without jacking the car up.
lildevil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2004 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post

lildevil

1537 posts
Member since Aug 2001
heres the part numbers...GlassPacks JONA4512S
Convertor 94002

The convertor number is magnaflows number and the glasspack is the Full Line Exhaust number

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2004 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
cool !
now who will sell me their wfc header? ( I have been having troubles with mine)

[This message has been edited by revin (edited 10-18-2004).]

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2004 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

cool !
now who will sell me their wfc header? ( I have been having troubles with mine)

What kinda of troubles?

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2004 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

MstangsBware

11509 posts
Member since Mar 2002

Originally posted by lildevil:

heres the part numbers...GlassPacks JONA4512S
Convertor 94002

The convertor number is magnaflows number and the glasspack is the Full Line Exhaust number

Thank you very much

HIOSILVER!

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2004 05:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HIOSILVER!Send a Private Message to HIOSILVER!Direct Link to This Post
Im in for a set! LOL
HIOSILVER

Personally i don't think it makes that much of a difference when you keep the exhaust as short as i am here. Plus the cost of the headers is too high. I could make 4 off these exhaust for the price of one set of headers. My trap speeds are the same as those with headers and more mods. So i am not totally sold on headers yet. They look good, don't get me wrong though. Oh I can take this exhaust off and swap it in less then 15 minutes. Only 6 bolts to undo and its off. Without jacking the car up.

PFF
System Bot
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2004 07:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
probably a perfect setup for the 3.4tdc also - thats basicly what i was planning to make -
revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2004 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:
What kinda of troubles?

Well since I am so stuborn and havn't put in the flex pipe...I keep breaking the welds on them, resulting in a exhaust leak

And where were you ???NOT in San Angelo I see You missed a good race between me and Loyde with his 04 3800sc

------------------

98 3800SC, Getrag 5sp. only one around Austin Texas !

[This message has been edited by revin (edited 10-18-2004).]

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2004 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
The first picture of the two mufflers is the same exact setup that I have on my car. It flows very good, and the noise is not bad at all.. in fact, I had an older gentleman follow me to my job the other day to ask what engine I had in my car... He said that he had heard a lot of Fieros before, but never heard one sound so sweet. Of course, I was more than happy to pop the decklid and talk for the next thirty minutes about the conversion, and Fieros in general. The tone that this exhaust gives is really deep and mellow. The only thing that I do not like about mine is that the person that welded it together did not give much thought to the angle so they mufflers are visible. I am going to change it out later this winter. I am hoping the new set up that I pay for will sound as good.

I had a set of headers, that I sold before installing. This set up serves the purpose with minimal cost. After buying the headers, you still have to either get a cat back system, or pay for a system to be custom bent... unless you can do your own exhaust. After it was all said and done, the cost of having a stock looking Fiero Exhaust was going to be over a grand... That is money that was spent on other upgrades.

------------------

[This message has been edited by topcat (edited 10-18-2004).]

lildevil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2004 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
topcat...are you using the glasspacks or mufflers? I am planing on swappingthe mufflers with glasspacks to make the system less restrictive. I am going to swap jus one out first to see what kind of results I get that way. I am jus curious how it will do. Any opinions?
topcat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2004 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
I bought the car with this exhaust already installed, so I am not sure if they are glasspacks or mufflers. They look like mufflers when I look at them closley. Maybe I'll get a sound clip after work tomorrow and post it.

Ironic that this topic was posted... I had another compliment on the way the car sounds as I was leaving work today.

SOULCRUSHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2004 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SOULCRUSHERClick Here to visit SOULCRUSHER's HomePageSend a Private Message to SOULCRUSHERDirect Link to This Post
BTW, I spoke to Zoomer awhile back, and he told me that the stock exhaust manifolds flow well, but its the stock DOWNPIPE that is the main restriction. And if you use the shorty exhaust as seen here, I think it works just as well as a header. I will post picks of mine when I drop mine down for some tweaking. Its using the flowmaster 80, no cat. Lildevils route is definitely the better way to go in my opinion.

------------------

1988 Purple Fiero GTw/SC3800 conversion
Best ET with 3.0 pulley,XPHOT cam, SS I/C and 105lb Valve springs: 12.72@109mph
Best 60 Foot ever: 1.735

lildevil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2004 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
Several people have PM'd me about doing a exhaust for their car. I am sorry to say that it would be VERY difficult to do it. Since everyones conversion is different ( types of mounts, trannies, engine placement) We tried sticking my exhaust on SOULCRUSHERS car and it didn't work because the exhaust manifold exits in a diffrent spot. GrandPrixs manifolds exit in a different spot compared to say a Bonneville engine. So i am sorry that I can't do them. But using this as your guide and using the part numbers i have given it shouldn't be too hard to print a copy of the pic and take the parts and the pic to a exhaust shop and have it welded together. Shouldn't be much more then 300 dollars
revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2004 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post

Several people have PM'd me about doing a exhaust for their car. I am sorry to say that it would be VERY difficult to do it. Since everyones conversion is different ( types of mounts, trannies, engine placement) We tried sticking my exhaust on SOULCRUSHERS car and it didn't work because the exhaust manifold exits in a diffrent spot. GrandPrixs manifolds exit in a different spot compared to say a Bonneville engine. So i am sorry that I can't do them. But using this as your guide and using the part numbers i have given it shouldn't be too hard to print a copy of the pic and take the parts and the pic to a exhaust shop and have it welded together. Shouldn't be much more then 300 dollars

BOO ! BOO ! HISS, HISS

Pssst my eng is a GTP, no cat on mine please! thx

------------------

[This message has been edited by revin (edited 10-19-2004).]

85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBDirect Link to This Post
Lildevil
Thank you very much for posting the part #,
A big + for you for being helpfull
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
just to help out some more - here is a source of the cat coverter and similar ones

http://www.performanceintl.com/web/magna_cats_94000.htm

[This message has been edited by Kohburn (edited 10-21-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
HIOSILVER!

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HIOSILVER!Send a Private Message to HIOSILVER!Direct Link to This Post
Quick question I have the GTP stock manifolds which downpipe would I need for the type in the top pic? Like that one the best.
Rich
lildevil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
Top one uses the stock downpipe and is then welded to the Subaru cat convertor. You only need the flange and a few inches of the downpipe to do this.
Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Damn... I searched for a while for that cat back when I decied on my exhaust... I wanted to do exactly what you've got pictured there, but I couldn't find the dang cat anywhere, exept on a whole-pipe setup for like $350.. I've since built a snake-like Flowmaster exhaust with a bunch of 180's. Pretty loud I think, and of course no trunk. I'd LOVE to hear what the Subaru / dual muffler setup sounds like... Too late for my trunk naturally... (RIP lol) But if I ever get stupid enough to do another swap... That simple one with just a downpipe and glasspack would be a great thing to have on hand to swap on before a track night, wouldn't it?!?! With how easy it is to drop the entire exhaust and pop a new one on, that would be great. (especially with a removeable floor, you can do it from the top!)

------------------
Bob Williams
Multi-colored '86 Mutt, a work in progress! (3800SC installation in super-super-ssuuppeerr-slow-motion progress... Will I ever be done?? I doubt it! Sounds great revving in park though.. :( )

PBJ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2004 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Simple and effective, allows the use of factory tips aswell, and can fit a little converter if needed.

------------------

Dgzfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2004 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DgzfieroSend a Private Message to DgzfieroDirect Link to This Post
My exhaust almost looks like PBJ's except I have a couple of cats where he has the big pipe and a couple of resonator tips at the end.
Doug
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2004 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PBJ:

Simple and effective, allows the use of factory tips aswell, and can fit a little converter if needed.

What muffler is that? Does it have the perforated one way flow inner lining ? If so does the one way flow run down the entire length of the muffler or only half. The reason I ask is because when I made mine, in order to get the muffler to equally flow ffrom either side I had to use 2 10 or 12 inch cherry bomb directional mufflers that I welded together and had the down pipe spliced in the center. That way at the T intersection of the downpipe and the two mufflers, the exhaust path would scavenge equally.

lildevil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2004 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
to get a idea of what the top exhaust sounds like go to this thread...
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/046778.html

its a sucky run but at least you can hear it. I'll post a run with the other exhaust as well

dizmon_85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2004 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dizmon_85GTSend a Private Message to dizmon_85GTDirect Link to This Post
Here's what Darth has done for my car.

SOULCRUSHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2004 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SOULCRUSHERClick Here to visit SOULCRUSHER's HomePageSend a Private Message to SOULCRUSHERDirect Link to This Post
What muffler is that on the exhaust Darth made you? It is VERY similar to mine, but I used a Flowmaster 80.
Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2004 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know if you can use a Borla muffler with 2.5" piping or whatever? I love the sound of my borla but not sure if it has big enough inlets. How bout the Spin Tech Muffler? Do you have to notch it to fit in the 88 trunk area? I would like to know these things as fieroX is going to modify mine to have a bigger exhaust system.

------------------

1 of 2: Factory Maroon/Gray 87 GT 5 spd: 2.8L (Best 1/4 mile: 15.57@87mph, 2.0 60ft)
2 of 2: Ferrari Red 88 Formula/4T65EHD: 97 GTP Motor (Best 1/4 mile: 13.704@98mph, 1.938 60ft)

My Website
My CarDomain Site

PFF
System Bot
Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2004 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Anyone have a length measurement on that Subaru cat by any chance?? I was looking around for a shorter one (single in/out) so the mufflers wouldn't be so low.. Found a nice 3" in/out cat that's 14" long.. Cut off some of the in/out and you've got 12" long.. Is that shorter or longer than the Scoobie one? Or can you not see the mufflers when it's installed anyway? (Don't want anything showing but the tips! )
dizmon_85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2004 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dizmon_85GTSend a Private Message to dizmon_85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SOULCRUSHER:

What muffler is that on the exhaust Darth made you? It is VERY similar to mine, but I used a Flowmaster 80.

Holley/Flowtech Terminator p/n 50162FLT. 3" inlet, 2 1/2" outlets

[This message has been edited by dizmon_85GT (edited 10-24-2004).]

revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2004 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post

Spin Tek ( 2.5" pipe) are great sounding to me. low growl till you step on it then oh yeah baby

------------------

ShaddowGt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2004 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShaddowGtSend a Private Message to ShaddowGtDirect Link to This Post
local guy, RBeaubien, has a spintech on his, i heard it, was real quiet, like stock, until you get on it he said. i thought it sounded good. it was pretty quiet. ask him about it.
DelawareFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 139
User Banned

Report this Post10-25-2004 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DelawareFieroSend a Private Message to DelawareFieroDirect Link to This Post
just re-reading this cool thread. Anyone thought of running the exhaust just like the stock fieros?

------------------
Member of Ban ALL RICE Brigade

PBJ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2004 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DelawareFiero:

just re-reading this cool thread. Anyone thought of running the exhaust just like the stock fieros?

The one we are building right now does. It uses 2 1/2 from the custom Y through a converter in the stock location, with 2 1/2 to the Borla muffler in the stock location, with twin 2 inch out the tips. Here is a pic of the Y pipe.

Pete

revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2004 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
look at WCF they carry the stock exhaust route ( what I have)
Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2004 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Lildevil - that P/N is for the glasspack for the 2nd (no cat) exhaust pictured, correct? Do you have a P/N for the tube muffler from the 1st exhaust?? From what I can hear (over that dang announcer's voice!!) that is a super quiet setup.. I have a Moroso "spiral flow" tube muffler right after my Cat, but it doesn't cut out nearly as much sound as I thought it would.. I bet one of those tube mufflers you're using would fit in place of the Moroso, if not even take up less room... They have so many mufflers on thier website, I'm having an impossible time trying to find that one. Thanks!!! - Bob
ShaddowGt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2004 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShaddowGtSend a Private Message to ShaddowGtDirect Link to This Post
i want better sound bites of both of them, i probably will do something like the first one tho, like to hear it better.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock