Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Game, can you spot what parts are missing from my motor. Beware 10 pics inside.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Game, can you spot what parts are missing from my motor. Beware 10 pics inside. by Capt Fiero
Started on: 09-17-2004 06:44 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: tednelson83 on 09-20-2004 04:36 PM
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2004 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Ok this is a simple thing, there are no rules and no prizes. But I thought it would be fun. I have spent a great deal of time looking over how the Fiero and the Fiero emmissions system works. Tweaking things to see where I can trim it down to make it a little more simple. Especially when I am wanting to work on something and I dont want to have to fight with 2 or 3 other things to get to the part I want to work on. Plus there are often little problems that come up that are really caused by parts I dont need to even have on my car any longer. So this was the end result.

I took some close up shots of the areas where parts have been removed. So it is almost going to be too easy for the simple stuff and some of the parts are connected so if you find one you will know of the others. Well have fun lets just see who can be the first to find the parts that are not seen directly.

There are really high res pics at http://www.captfiero.com/engine081704 you can click on any of the pics to see a larger version.

P.S. Ya I know it is really dirty right now, but I am doing a "night club run" tonight" so I did not want to clean it just to have it get filthy after 2-3 hrs of Highway driving tonight possibly in the rain.

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 09-17-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2004 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

------------------
85GT 2.9 4spd MSD Everything, Big Cam and Nitrous. www.captfiero.com

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2004 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
What size plug did you use to cap off the cold start injector?
I dont see the ERG valve.
tednelson83

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2004 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
why would you dump the CSI?

ok, CSI, those stupid cooland lines to the TB, the EGR, EGR tube, EGR sullinoid, the decklid springs, PS where did you get those struts i like MUCH better then the one the rodney sells. is that white tube a nitro injector? noi cruse, you removed that EGR sullinoid pipe that pontiac failed to remove dirring the recall.

ok what did i miss, i know im missing some thing but i cant tell.

i see you added an adjustible FPR, and fuel pressure guage.

------------------

1985 Pontiac Fiero 2.5 SE, 220,000 currently going under the knife to become a chopped hard top custom convertible, watch for the build up thread
more pics of my 85 can be found here
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT, 141,500 miles! decklid window, silver guages.
1987 Pontiac Fiero 2.8 SE, 54,000 miles :( DOOMED, im cutting her up for scrap metal very soon! RIP

Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2004 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
I think the only thing you missed was the fuel vapor canister. Very well done.

I dumped the EGR system totally, the Pod, the Solinoid and all vacuume lines running through the plenium. (my motor with bigger cam, bigger injecotrs and custom chip no longer needs the EGR system) and yes I do still pass emissions testing.

Totally removed the Cold Start Injector. I was not sure but I thought it was leaking. I was really getting tired of dealing with it when ever I did anything to the fuel rail. I did not like working around it when I was doing timming or other stuff around the distributor. I really no longer needed it seeing as my new larger injectors supplied more than enough fuel on cold fire up. (on fire up the computer is not activly leaning them out and on fire up there is no vaccume so they are pumping a great deal of fuel into the intake, car starts up faster than most fiero's I have ridden in)

Removed all the vaccume lines on the truck side firewall. That alone made a rather large diffrence especially when lowering or raising the cradle not have to worry about those.
Removed the vapor canister and the vacume canister. Dont need them either. Removied all the post recal piping on the firewall. (does anyone really leave that there)

When you pop up my plenium off of the intake, you know that snake of vaccume lines that dirves everyone nuts. I dont have those. I have a single vacume line going to the map, a single line going to the FPR, a single line to the Brakes and a single line to the PCV. For a total of 4 vacume lines in the entire engine page. The 2 that were under the TB have been capped off.

All in the name of simplicty.

I got my struts though watts@dccnet.com he runs the Fiero Hut www.fierohut.com he never put them on his site becuase he did a limited run of them for the local club guys. I am not sure he ever went public with them. But you can contact him about it.

As for the bolt that I used to cap off the CSI on the fuel rail it was a chrome drain plug bolt from a Honda that fit. I dont rememebr the exact size. But if you take an old fuel rail to the parts store they should not have any trouble matchine it up for you.

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2004 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
You forgot "Battery"
JetroGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2004 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JetroGTSend a Private Message to JetroGTDirect Link to This Post
It's missing two cylinders.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2004 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Yep the battery is in the trunk, it does free up a great deal of space up there.

As for missing 2 cylnders. I will someday put a V8 into the car, but for now I am having a great deal of fun playing with the 6.

JetroGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2004 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JetroGTSend a Private Message to JetroGTDirect Link to This Post
J/K. Just a little drunk after work humor.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2004 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
I am still looking for ways to clean out more things from the engine that are not required. I would love to find a new intake plenium design that would work on the Fiero that would open up the middle of the intake just for that cleaner look. I am going to do a major overhaul on the top end. Zander aka fire451 installed some simple Edlebrock chome valve covers which are much smaller than the stock ones and really seemed to make it apear that there was more room in there.
tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2004 03:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:
Removied all the post recal piping on the firewall. (does anyone really leave that there)

i pulled mine when i replaced my engine. thouthe the stupid thing was pointless.

what all have you donr to that monster, and what kind of power are you pumping?

-ted

PFF
System Bot
Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post09-19-2004 03:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
Im having trouble locating the turbo.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2004 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Oh I want a turbo very badly. But I have to wait for "just the right" setup to come along.

I have dreams about air to water intercoolers, and 15lbs of boost.

As for how much power I am making now, I really dont want to guess, but someplace around 190 crank HP is our best guess, we will need to get it out to the track and get some hard data before I make any claims, and I might even be able to get some dyno time this winter.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2004 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
I believe exhaust manifolds have the shielding removed (at least it's gone from the front one).
Also, I think you removed the air pipes from the trunk blower to the coil and alternator.

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2004 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Oh Oh Oh, tony gets a plus, even I forgot to mention that one. I removed the blower and the pipes completly. I firgured, that seeing the blower only turns on when the rad fan is on, and my rad fan almost never comes on, it left almost a year ago. I then used the extra space in the trunk to put my battery over there.

As for the exhaust heat shields. I had a problem with the rear manifold blowing gaskets. After speaking to a few people on the fiero racing list, they said to just ditch the rear heat shield. I did and have not blown a gasket since.

Azriel

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-19-2004 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AzrielSend a Private Message to AzrielDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure what possesed you to remove it, but the egr is missing. That was put there to protect your engine, not the environment. It's your car and your call, but I'd get it back on there, personally.
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2004 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
the throttle body coolant tubes

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/054344.html

i did the same

------------------

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2004 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Azriel:

I'm not sure what possesed you to remove it, but the egr is missing. That was put there to protect your engine, not the environment. It's your car and your call, but I'd get it back on there, personally.

I am guessing you are a newbee or just dont know much about engines.

The EGR system puts small amounts of exhaust gas back into the engine at cruising speeds. This does not burn as hot at if it were normal air. It displaces some of the regular air. Hence your combustion chamber temps run cooler. Without it on a stock motor you risk damage to your motor. However my motor is not stock heck it does not even use the stock facotry program in the ECM. I have larger injectors, a bigger cam and I do moniter my motor much more than the average person that was supose to buy the car from the showroom.

Due to the changes in my motor I do not have to worry about an EGR, the egr causes more problems that it is worth in an performance motor. That is why most aftermarket chips dissable the EGR system as one of the first tweaks done to the program. It can cause poor on off throttle performance especially in crusing on the freeway when you get on the gas and then get off the gas in cruising situations.

A leaking EGR pipe is a common problem with our cars, I dont have to worry about that any more.

There are countless people running around with EGR pods that are stuck partially open feeding in contstant exhaust gas into there intake causing poor performance. Guess what I dont have to worry about that either. Oh and that bloody code 32 that people get after driving on the freeway. Oh wait I dont have that either. Hmm.

Ok so lets recap.

My engine is built to run without an EGR
My computer is programed to run without an EGR
I dont have to worry about any of the number of problems that can come with EGR related problems
My intake system is going to run cooler.

I dont see the problem.

I am sorry if I sounded rude during this post. But you are not the first person to look at my car and try to tell me the EGR system is needed, when I know for sure that I no longer need it. I dont mean to be taking it out on you, but these are the facts.

P.S. I sailed through emmisions testing with all of my mods in place. Oh and I dont have a cat on my car either.

------------------
85GT 2.9 4spd MSD Everything, Big Cam and Nitrous. www.captfiero.com

rynelson85

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2004 03:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rynelson85Send a Private Message to rynelson85Direct Link to This Post
you also have some stage 3 wieght reduction with that trunk seal
tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2004 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
so list your mods, im interested in hearing about them. im thinkng of building the 2.8 as well!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock