lexan choptop side window info by Orville
Started on: 08-25-2004 10:14 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: Philphine on 08-30-2004 12:37 PM
Orville

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OrvilleSend a Private Message to OrvilleDirect Link to This Post
I promised to post these pics, prices and parts #'s in another thread. Rather than find the thread,
I decided to post in a new one. I hope the info is helpful.

Orville

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the #'s! I see that the price went up a little...

------------------

*~*CUSTOM BUILT!!*~*

*~*W I D E B O D Y-- GT!!*~* *~*UNDER SURGERY!!*~*
*~*Ultimate Mod Coming Soon!!*~*

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Orville:

I promised to post these pics, prices and parts #'s in another thread. Rather than find the thread,
I decided to post in a new one. I hope the info is helpful.

Orville

Whew, $ 340.00 per pair + shipping & the customer has to trim them to fit. I should start selling them.

How does the curvature match your needs?

Archie

Will-Martin

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2004 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

Whew, $ 340.00 per pair + shipping & the customer has to trim them to fit. I should start selling them.

How does the curvature match your needs?

Archie

I've tried to buy them from you.

--Will

rmphoto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2004 04:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rmphotoSend a Private Message to rmphotoDirect Link to This Post
alot of people have... funny they dont seem as expensive and hard to find as once believed.
Orville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2004 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OrvilleSend a Private Message to OrvilleDirect Link to This Post
Archie,

The curvature is about the same as the stock glass and is right for my chop.

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2004 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Archie,

The curvature is about the same as the stock glass and is right for my chop.

Very good. That would make those windows a great find for you then.

I'll say it again, I wish you lived next door to me, I like people who are that resourceful.

Archie

Orville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2004 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OrvilleSend a Private Message to OrvilleDirect Link to This Post
Archie,

If I lived next door to you, I'd be at your shop so much you'd have to put me
on your payroll.

Orville

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2004 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Archie,

If I lived next door to you, I'd be at your shop so much you'd have to put me
on your payroll.

Orville

That's exactly why I hired the late Rich Warber, he was retired but he was much too smart to let sit at home. I told his wife that I could get him out of her hair for 8 hours a day.

Archie

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2004 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rmphoto:

alot of people have... funny they dont seem as expensive and hard to find as once believed.

These wimdow's and the one's that Archie uses are 2 different animal's...
These WILL NOT fit Archie's chop's btu will only fit Orvilles... Because of the 'angle' of the top.. So, if you are planning using these for a choptop, better get the window's FIRST, that way you be sure and chop it at an angle...

Right Archie..?? Right Orville..??

------------------

*~*CUSTOM BUILT!!*~*

*~*W I D E B O D Y-- GT!!*~* *~*UNDER SURGERY!!*~*
*~*Ultimate Mod Coming Soon!!*~*

joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2004 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
i was wondering the same thing as smooth. if orville's roof is stock and lowered the angle should be the same as archie's even if it has a different windshield. unless maybe the roof is wider so it keeps the same angle and then why would orville post this for everyone when he knows the general way a chop is done?
PFF
System Bot
Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2004 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Okay... Here's what I know.. or at least think I know about chops...

On Archie's cars, the windshield is laid back making the area if the top shorter from front to rear. One Orville's cars, a different windshield is used and basically the roof area comes straight down and is close to the same length as stock front to rear. However. Orville's top is wider than than stock...

But... This window should work on either type of car. It is all in the trimming and in the adjustment inside the door.

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2004 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
In the second picture that Orville posted. You see the tinted (or painted) Fiero side window laying on top of the Summit plastic windows. That appears to be a stock Fiero side window. The point is that you would can trim the Summit window to the correct perimeter for whatever type of chop you are doing.

Orville mentioned that the Summit window has the curvature of the stock Camaro or Fiero window. On my sidewindows the window curves in at least 3" more than the stock window.

Archie

Orville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2004 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OrvilleSend a Private Message to OrvilleDirect Link to This Post
Hi guys,

To answer your questions: On my chop the angles of the "A" and "B" pillars toward center are stock.
I think Archies angle inward more than stock because laying back the stock winshield narrows the roof.
That's why his windows are curved inward 3". I'm not sure if that's for each windowor or total but I suppose
it's total. In each case this lexan will work because it has the same curves vertically and horizonally as
the stock fiero glass. Where the curve differs however is in the portion bellow the dew wipes that attachs
to the raising/lowering mechanism. What I did was position/fasten the cut-to-size lexan to the edge of a
table with the portion just below the dew wipe along the edge of the table. Then I heated the lexan along
this edge with a heat gun and carefully curved it downward by pushing with a peice of 2x4 until it had the
same curve in this area as the stock glass. I'm not sure but I think this procedure would also work for
Archie's chop, just have to bend it a little more.

Couple more things: The black material on top of the lexan in the pic is the template for the cut down
window. Also, this lexan is 3/16" thick which I think will work although in my other chop I used 1/4".
The stock thickness is about 7/32".

Orville

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2004 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Hi guys,

To answer your questions: On my chop the angles of the "A" and "B" pillars toward center are stock.
I think Archies angle inward more than stock because laying back the stock winshield narrows the roof.
That's why his windows are curved inward 3". I'm not sure if that's for each windowor or total but I suppose
it's total. In each case this lexan will work because it has the same curves vertically and horizonally as
the stock fiero glass. Where the curve differs however is in the portion bellow the dew wipes that attachs
to the raising/lowering mechanism. What I did was position/fasten the cut-to-size lexan to the edge of a
table with the portion just below the dew wipe along the edge of the table. Then I heated the lexan along
this edge with a heat gun and carefully curved it downward by pushing with a peice of 2x4 until it had the
same curve in this area as the stock glass. I'm not sure but I think this procedure would also work for
Archie's chop, just have to bend it a little more.

Couple more things: The black material on top of the lexan in the pic is the template for the cut down
window. Also, this lexan is 3/16" thick which I think will work although in my other chop I used 1/4".
The stock thickness is about 7/32".

Orville

Each window is curved inward at least 3".

I use a stock Fiero windshield, thus the Fiero roof stays at the same width, But it's 3" lower so the side windows need to curve in more & earlier.

Archie

------------------
Somebody needs to do a sig for Archie

Orville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2004 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OrvilleSend a Private Message to OrvilleDirect Link to This Post
Archie,

Yes, now that I think about it , that makes sense.

Orville

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2004 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the info. it may work for me 'cause whoever did the chop on the car i have widened the roof also, so the lexan orville found may work better for me.

that's the first time i've read about your having to bend the bottom part (below the dew wipe) though. could i do that in a bending brake? i've bent lexan that way before once or twice. or would the bend be too sharp (or not enough radius i guess might be a better term) that way?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock