Started on: 08-24-2004 08:20 PM
Replies: 32
Last post by: roys88fiero on 08-27-2004 12:08 PM
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2004 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
I have had some people requesting pictures and info on my hood. I thought it would be easiest to just do a thread on what info I have.

The hood was created by FOCOA and John Norman in the early 90's for his car "Obsession". This car was a best of show winner at several FOCOA nationals. It was completely redone each time once with a small block then a blown small blaock and the last time I saw it a Northstar.

It was a nice car but the hood is what caught my attention. I have seen many hoods and waited till I found the one I liked, and this was it.

The Norman hood as it was called was reproduced for FOCOA and sold at a too high of price but I still bought it anyway [my obsession I guess].
At this time I would say they are no longer available unless you can find a used one. I have the only one that I know of at this time since Obsession no longer has one on it. I am sure since it was made in California you might find one in the greater LA/ Orange County area? Warning if you find a new one of these it is a very poor fiberglass job and will need a lot of work to make it right. If I had to do it over I would pass and make my own.

The scoop is fuctional just as it was on a GT 40 it improved airflow from the radiator and reduces the high pressure area under the Fiero hood at higher speeds. By the way it is a great bug deflector! I can see moths coming at the car and shoot straight up over the roof at night from the air coming out of the hood.

The underside is a stock frame molded to a new top. It bolt ups and uses all stock hardware and headlight doors. Only mod needed is to move your trunk wall about in about an inch back. I did this with a rubber mallet and could reverse the change in minutes.

I did french the overflow bottle opening into the scoop and put a chrome cap on it.

You also need to shim your fenders with washers to get a good alinement with the hood line. It works very well and some factory cars used the same process to fix misalined fenders. This is a little know factory fix and not often used, they did use copper washers.

Sorry the pictures are hard to see detail on since it is black on black. I hope this answers all the questions but if anyone has any feel free to ask.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 08-24-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2004 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Got any more pics from a different angle?
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2004 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2004 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

hyperv6

6001 posts
Member since Mar 2003

GKDINC

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2004 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GKDINCSend a Private Message to GKDINCDirect Link to This Post
I like the hood, and nice work on the underside. Most people don't take the time to work on this part. WTG
Thanks Gary
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2004 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
I like the hood alot but the paint job is just unbelieveable!

Very very nice.

------------------

banditbalz

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2004 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for banditbalzClick Here to visit banditbalz's HomePageSend a Private Message to banditbalzDirect Link to This Post
The only hood vent i really liked was the one that John Norman designed after the one shown above. It was actually 2 vents and I've only ever seen it on 3 fieros. One was on the Racetech turbo 3.1 and John gave permission to Racetech (in Toronto )to do a one off.

To this day, that is the only vent I would consider on my GT. Iv'e got pics (i'm sure Minngreen has a few) on my other computer. I can post if anyone is interested.

------------------
3 car lengths in front of you and still pulling...

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2004 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
The left side and back halo and rear bumper is still original paint. I had to paint the new parts and I also ran into a van that pull out in front of me in 1987.
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2004 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKDirect Link to This Post
Hey hyperv6 is that the kamei body kit on your car ? Man that thing looks really good in black
Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2004 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
That is one beautiful car. Best hood too.

------------------
-Chris -
Custom Gun Metal 86 GT 4.9 V8 5spd

Build up tread or MODS w/ Pics

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2004 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
ditto
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2004 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
No the FX are Pegasus Engineering. They took the DGP Stage 1 kit and put ribbing on it and sold it under their name. They were installed around 1987/88. I bought the car new. Most mods on the car predate 1990 and most of the parts are no longer available. The Indy scoop is an original DGP unit.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 08-25-2004).]

red GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2004 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for red GTSend a Private Message to red GTDirect Link to This Post
Scott that is a beautiful car from front to back, and nice emblem by the way...Craig

------------------
8T6 GT

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
THAT hood is HOT!

Nice work!

-FR

Stinkin_V8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stinkin_V8Send a Private Message to Stinkin_V8Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by banditbalz:
Iv'e got pics (i'm sure Minngreen has a few) on my other computer. I can post if anyone is interested.

Post 'em!!

Racer_JT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Racer_JTSend a Private Message to Racer_JTDirect Link to This Post
I've been working on this hood. Still have the final finish work to do to it.

I just put it on last night. I'll have to get back to the final work later, trying to get alot of other stuff done for now

I hope your right about the bug shield!!

[This message has been edited by Racer_JT (edited 08-25-2004).]

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by banditbalz:

The only hood vent i really liked was the one that John Norman designed after the one shown above. It was actually 2 vents and I've only ever seen it on 3 fieros. One was on the Racetech turbo 3.1 and John gave permission to Racetech (in Toronto )to do a one off.

To this day, that is the only vent I would consider on my GT. Iv'e got pics (i'm sure Minngreen has a few) on my other computer. I can post if anyone is interested.

Yes, Please post em'.. I have a smaller picture of John's car from "Car Craft" hanging on my bathroom wall... It was the inspiration for my hood actually!! S

------------------

*~*CUSTOM BUILT!!*~*

*~*W I D E B O D Y-- GT!!*~* *~*UNDER SURGERY!!*~*
*~*Ultimate Mod Coming Soon!!*~*

SaLvAgEd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SaLvAgEdSend a Private Message to SaLvAgEdDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

AWESOME. Will you make me one?

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Racer_JT:

I just put it on last night. I'll have to get back to the final work later, trying to get alot of other stuff done for now

hyperv6's hood is just too cool. I have to think of a way to fabricate something similar. The paint job I know I can't match. It is just too sweet. But, as for the deck scoop, here is the same deck scoop with wing. This scoop is not glassed yet. It will be a little shorter when glassed, and the wing will go down a bit to match.

Arn

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Very Nice.

------------------
Ron
aka: Blackrams

Stinkin_V8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stinkin_V8Send a Private Message to Stinkin_V8Direct Link to This Post
Great pics and a great looking car, hyper. THanks for sharing.
PFF
System Bot
fst4rsc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fst4rscSend a Private Message to fst4rscDirect Link to This Post
Very Nice. Please tell about the chin spoiler, source, install.... Are there any clearance problems? How about the rockers?
Thanks Eric
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fst4rsc:

Very Nice. Please tell about the chin spoiler, source, install.... Are there any clearance problems? How about the rockers?
Thanks Eric

The FX are Pegasus Engineering Out of Portland OR. They have not been made since 1987. I was told I was lucky to get them as he went to jail for interstate mail fraud. They are just exact copies [rip offs] of the DGP stage I FX kit for the Coupe nose but Pegasus Put Pontiac style ribs on them.

Clearance is a major issue! I have to watch where I go and Can not lower the car as it would rip the air dam off. I want to go lower but I would have to redo the end of my driveway to get in or out. I did just set it up to make it so I can remove the air dam in just minutes, in case I go autocrossing or need to flatbed it in case of a break down. It is bolted on with the 2 lower wheel well bolts and six stainless bolt under the nose of the car. [3 each side] I welded stainless nuts to stainless plates and pop rivited it to the inside of the bumper cover.

Rocker also are Peguasus to match the air dam.

Most of this car, less the hood, wheel centers and leather seeats were done prior to 1990. It is a good example of some of what was originally available when they were still making Fiero's. Many Items on the car are no longer available and have not been made or copied for years. The first mods were made in 1985.

Sorry about the details in the pictures. Black paint is a challange to photo unless you get the light right.

Racer_JT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racer_JTSend a Private Message to Racer_JTDirect Link to This Post
That is an awesome example of a FIERO

Great Job keeping it beautiful

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Awesome looking car! By far the best custom bumperpad car I've ever seen! If I ever got a vented hood, that'd be it!
4BanGinFun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4BanGinFunClick Here to visit 4BanGinFun's HomePageSend a Private Message to 4BanGinFunDirect Link to This Post
what rims are those. I have a set of them, but are the larger bolt circle. I have no clue what make they are thanks.

------------------
Chris 85 Fiero SE 2.5L of fury

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=347941&page

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 4BanGinFun:

what rims are those. I have a set of them, but are the larger bolt circle. I have no clue what make they are thanks.

They are Prime wheel, they have been out of productions for a while.These are made to looke like BBS wheels. Today Prime is making OE wheels, my 04 GTP has a Chrome 5 spoke 17" wheel made by Prime for Pontiac.

The center caps said Prime and I removed the center to make my own. I started with centers from 1979 Bonneville hubcaps that were red with a star burst pattern. I then sanded them thinner and removed all details except for the Pontiac crest. I then cut an 1/8" off the outside circumferance. After painting the details back on the back side I wet sanded and polished them out. I wanted to make the wheels have a custom factory look and it cost my all of $15 to do it.

Tires are first gen 225 /50 /16 Comp TA's from the mid 80's. 16" was a large tire when I put these on, 17" was just coming out and wheels for a Fiero in 17" were not common.

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2004 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post

Sorry about the details in the pictures. Black paint is a challange to photo unless you get the light right.

Very Professional Job on the Car !!!

------------------

Car History: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/025670.html

webbee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2004 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for webbeeSend a Private Message to webbeeDirect Link to This Post
Super fine job!!! I love black cars. The trick to photographing black cars, and getting lots of detail, is to do it on an overcast day.
trigger

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-27-2004 04:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for triggerSend a Private Message to triggerDirect Link to This Post

Tires are first gen 225 /50 /16 Comp TA's from the mid 80's. 16" was a large tire when I put these on, 17" was just coming out and wheels for a Fiero in 17" were not common.

you must be the master of self restraint to still have tires from the 80s. that car is super clean. i honestly think its the first bumper pad car i've ever seen that i've drooled over. awesome man.

------------------
88 fiero coupe. 2.8/5 spd (last driven sept 02)
90 eclipse

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2004 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
I really have had 3 set in 40,000 miles. I had two 15" sets from 1985-1990 and I have had this set since 1990 to present [first Gen Comps are ony good for around 15,000 miles]. I upgraded to 16" when I was given a free set. Someday I may go 17" but no larger. I even have the original Eagle GT's and wheels.

With work, getting burned out on car shows and now having a 3 year old, I only run around 500 miles a year. But it is never trailered and I was even caught in the snow just a few years ago coming home from an indoor winter show.

Most of the miles are from when it was my only car the first 3 years. A year after my crash it became a weekend car only.

The photo is from 1987 after a Dodge van pulled out in front of me.I was going 45 MPH and went under the van. It only tore up the body and did not even break the radiator. I did hit the steering wheel hard enough to bend it over the turn signal. Other than a cut lip, and tore up body work I drove it home. He could not back the van back into the driveway. After I got the car back together I had plans on trading it for a new one but since the damage was less than I expected I put in a T top and kept the car.

Even back when it was a daily driver I was able to wash it almost every day and can still wax the floor pan for shows yet today. So at this point this little car and I have been through a lot and even if I might get a new toy I plan on keeping this one.

I am a beleiver in the space frame.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 08-27-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2004 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post

That is so nice. I would like to get one.

------------------
1987 Fiero SE

roys88fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2004 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for roys88fieroClick Here to visit roys88fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to roys88fieroDirect Link to This Post
Wow! that is a great looking car, and hood, i have been avoiding this tread for awhile untill i saw it on flames today and decided to check it out............ all ive been doing is: Right-click-save !
-Roy

------------------
I own an original yellow 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, (wingless, currently purple) ....This is.....Driving Exitement!

Matching numbers GT
#17889 of 26,402 made in 1988, 1of 241 yellow GT's

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock