Started on: 08-20-2004 01:39 AM
Replies: 38
Last post by: nick2x88 on 08-24-2004 02:23 PM
StuGood

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2004 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StuGoodSend a Private Message to StuGoodDirect Link to This Post
A few weeks ago, an acquaintance walks up and says, "Hey, Stu, you're always up for another one of those Fieros, aren't you? I saw a white one over at [he describes where it is]. May be junk, don't know if it runs or whatever. Didn't see a "For Sale" sign or anything. But I thought I'd tell you about it."

Hmmm-! Well, nice of him to mention it, I thought, but I need another Fiero like eskimos need more snow. So I smiled and thanked him for telling me about it. This is an older gentleman who occasionally drives a Model A Ford and likes to talk cars, so naturally I like the guy.

Didn't give it much thought for several weeks, until I happened to be taking an "alternate route" to a favorite spot on a beautiful, cool sunny day. Suddenly it occurred to me that I must have just driven past the location of the white Fiero the fellow had mentioned. Oh, well, who cares, I thought, I know what a junky Fiero looks like already. But on a sudden notion out of nowhere, I decided to turn my car around and have a look.

It was kind of hidden behind a block building, but visible if you knew what you were looking for. As I pulled into a nearby parking area, I noticed the license plate frame had "Electric Car" stenciled on it. Hmmm. Okay, so a junky Fiero with a weird plate frame, I thought.

Imagine my surprise when I walked up to the car, and saw solar cells on the front and rear decklids! A few days later, borrowed a digital camera, and returned to the site. With the owner's permission, snapped a few photos...

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2004 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
So where are the pics? And is it still drivable?
StuGood

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2004 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StuGoodSend a Private Message to StuGoodDirect Link to This Post
My apologies - apparently the photos are too big to post (range from 137KB to 181 KB, FWIW). Maybe some of you guys are smart enough to figure out how to shrink them for me, so they'll pass the PIP criteria? I got as far as PIP telling me the pics are too large (physical size and/or require too much memory, I guess).

No idea whether the car's driveable or not. Only spoke to the owner long enough to ask his permission to snap some photos.

timwdegner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2004 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timwdegnerSend a Private Message to timwdegnerDirect Link to This Post
Hey, e-mail me the pics at tim@stpluth.com and I'll make 'em work for ya! I wanna see! =D

------------------

'86 5-Spd 2M4 Sport Coupe / 68k Miles - Borla Exhaust - PontiacSound.com Subwoofer Box Coming Soon!

'84 Auto 2M4 SE Parts Car

StuGood

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2004 03:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StuGoodSend a Private Message to StuGoodDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, timwdegner! Email sent.

[This message has been edited by StuGood (edited 08-20-2004).]

timwdegner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2004 04:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timwdegnerSend a Private Message to timwdegnerDirect Link to This Post
Whoo hoo! These are cool pics! They're now well within size limits:

I think you should go back and get more - under the decklid, for example!! =D That car is a hell of a find.

------------------

'86 5-Spd 2M4 Sport Coupe / 68k Miles - Borla Exhaust - PontiacSound.com Subwoofer Box Coming Soon!

'84 Auto 2M4 SE Parts Car

donk316

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
User Banned

Report this Post08-20-2004 04:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donk316Send a Private Message to donk316Direct Link to This Post
Dude. So many questions....so little time.

Hella-Hecka-totally-shizzle-tight-find yo!

------------------

[This message has been edited by donk316 (edited 08-20-2004).]

timwdegner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2004 04:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timwdegnerSend a Private Message to timwdegnerDirect Link to This Post
Actually, I think there's a lot that we're gonna be curious about on this car... that nose, for starters (donk brought it up in chat)... does the thing run? Who did the work on it? Is it for sale?
timwdegner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2004 04:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timwdegnerSend a Private Message to timwdegnerDirect Link to This Post

timwdegner

1350 posts
Member since Jul 2004

Originally posted by donk316:

Dude. So many questions....so little time.

Hella-Hecka-totally-shizzle-tight-find yo!

Haha. I hope 3.4Fastback checks this one out....

My my, where did you find your wonderful sig pic? ; )

donk316

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
User Banned

Report this Post08-20-2004 04:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donk316Send a Private Message to donk316Direct Link to This Post
Muhahahahaha! Isnt she cute! And only 100k too.
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2004 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Interesting,solar panels to charge the batterys while it's parked.
PFF
System Bot
thefierofarm.com

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2004 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thefierofarm.comClick Here to visit thefierofarm.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to thefierofarm.comDirect Link to This Post
I would like more info on this. I have one electric fiero and would be interested in another one. Please send me an email with any details you are willing to give up.
Thanks,

------------------
That Todd guy

Need parts? Email me at todd@thefierofarm.com
www.thefierofarm.com
Bates City, MO

Fiero~Spataro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2004 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero~SpataroSend a Private Message to Fiero~SpataroDirect Link to This Post
cool find, what does this thread have to do with a dancing 14 yr old?

------------------

*click to see my Fiero site*

linenoise

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2004 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by donk316:

Love the Sig, Forgot about that little Lolita. few months back a friend and I have a nice video collection of her going.

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2004 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by timwdegner:

... that nose, for starters

Looks like a one-piece tilt-front (the car, not the girl... well, her too).

StuGood

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2004 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StuGoodSend a Private Message to StuGoodDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bond 007:Interesting,solar panels to charge the batterys while it's parked.
That's my guess also. For all I know, it may not even have an electric drivetrain (yet??). If the opportunity comes up, I'll ask the (apparent) owner more questions about, and possibly get a shot or two, of the car's inner workings? And, for the sake of all you collectors of "eclectic, electric plastic fantastics," I'll ask if he might be interested in selling it (BTW not interested in purchasing it, myself).

Meantime, I really wish to respect (and protect) the fellow's privacy. As stated earlier, there wasn't a "For Sale" sign, nor any indication he intended to put it up for sale.

timwdegner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2004 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timwdegnerSend a Private Message to timwdegnerDirect Link to This Post
To hell with privacy. I want pictures (and that car)!!

=P

Thanks for the info... keep us up to date Stu!

GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2004 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
theres was actually a few of them made i believe by a company in sort of a Mera fashion. If you watch Naked Gun 2 there is a green one in it nearer the beginning

------------------

Carbed 2.9 engine build in progress. forged pistons, crane cam, fully balanced, ARP bolts, double roller timing chain and more
--Adam--
IM AOL: FieroGT5speed

cptn_donut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2004 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptn_donutSend a Private Message to cptn_donutDirect Link to This Post

That's Alizee. She's hot! LOL :-)
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2004 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
If you have any more like this one send them to me
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2004 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
It seems that this post is bringing up the Testosterone levels a bit, but let's not get too focused on the "jail bait" here.
As for the electric Fiero, I saw one a while back but don't remember where it was. The car was literally filled with giant golf cart or fork lift batteries. As for the one shown here it looks like the designer added solar self charge capability which should provide some energy replenishment. HOwever, it's doubtful that this car will run on solar power alone.
I"ve had the opportunity to drive two experimental electric vehicles and while the ride was quiet and smooth, neither had a range of beyond 30-35 miles before the batteries drained and a charge was needed. The top speeds were only about 50 MPH. Due to the high energy demands the cars did not have heat or A/C.
While an electric vehicle may be a nice novelty, IMO they are totally impractical for everyday use and certainly less practical in Winter where cold deletes battery capacity. I view this cars as nice experimental oddities.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo Best 0-60 5.2 seconds
http://www.turbochargerpower.com/turbo.htm

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2004 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:and certainly less practical in Winter where cold deletes battery capacity. I view this cars as nice experimental oddities.

Okay now that I can think cleary, I agree, the cars are not practical compared to gas. However technology continues to improve. With more advanced batteries, such as Lithium Polymer, you could reduce battery mass by a factor of two, or alternatively double the range. There are Lithium Polymer battery powered experimental vehicles that have decent enough range to be considered practical for daily commuting. With advances in material and batteries combined with hybrid technlogy you might actually have something to write home about.

Iron_Mark_2003

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2004 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Iron_Mark_2003Send a Private Message to Iron_Mark_2003Direct Link to This Post
You guys just keep getting stranger and stranger....

------------------

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2004 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Iron_Mark_2003:

You guys just keep getting stranger and stranger....

Some guys are getting faster too! Running on solar energy only and on efficient batteries when its dark...shameless plug for my little country
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3203941.stm

[This message has been edited by Fie Ro (edited 08-21-2004).]

MiZer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 211
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2004 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MiZerSend a Private Message to MiZerDirect Link to This Post
WHOOT!
This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

but, yeh, electric.. if you google electric you can find a few.. very interesting some of them. using the stock 5speed and all. heavy as all get out tho

------------------

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2004 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Yeah we are developing the world's most powerful battery for our spacesuit that may someday find it's way into an electric vehicle.
thefierofarm.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2004 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thefierofarm.comClick Here to visit thefierofarm.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to thefierofarm.comDirect Link to This Post
StuGood,
I would still like more info on this. Please find out all you can and let me know. I know a guy that has one just like that and he drives it back and forth to work every day. More photos would be great also.
Thank you for your time,

------------------
That Todd guy

www.thefierofarm.com
Bates City, MO

Bigfieroman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2004 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BigfieromanClick Here to visit Bigfieroman's HomePageSend a Private Message to BigfieromanDirect Link to This Post
I had to post...I might be on crack, but those photos appear to be photoshopped...the first one seems the most obvious. Whomever did it, if they are photoshopped, was good though...In the first pit, the cells look like they are floating above the decklid, and they go all the way to the edge on the far side, but are about 3 inches from the edge on the near side. The roof is casting a kinds strong shadow on the cells, but not the decklid next to the cells? I may be wrong, but I think the nose and car are real, but the cells are faked. If you look closely at the two pics of the front, compare the the photos of the center cell in relation to the edge of the hood...it is pretty straight in one, and crooked in the other.

------------------
Thanks Aus!
More info at: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/043357.html

thefierofarm.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2004 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thefierofarm.comClick Here to visit thefierofarm.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to thefierofarm.comDirect Link to This Post
Bigfieroman,
I do not think the photos sre doctored. As for the rear of the car, all that opens is the square the cells are in. Also you will not get the same reflection off the cells as you would the dull white paint. I know someone that has one of these and they look just like that.

The cells do very little. They mostly just for show. the only reason for the 1 peice front clip is so the hood would be flat enough for the cells. The body is still cool looking but not real functional.

The motor runs on 16- 6 volt batteries. The car is supplied by 1- 12 volt battery. The interior is stock. I will look for my photos of the one I know of.

------------------
That Todd guy

www.thefierofarm.com
Bates City, MO

DotTC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2004 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DotTCClick Here to visit DotTC's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotTCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bigfieroman:

I had to post...I might be on crack, but those photos appear to be photoshopped...the first one seems the most obvious. Whomever did it, if they are photoshopped, was good though...In the first pit, the cells look like they are floating above the decklid, and they go all the way to the edge on the far side, but are about 3 inches from the edge on the near side. The roof is casting a kinds strong shadow on the cells, but not the decklid next to the cells? I may be wrong, but I think the nose and car are real, but the cells are faked. If you look closely at the two pics of the front, compare the the photos of the center cell in relation to the edge of the hood...it is pretty straight in one, and crooked in the other.

I'm gonna hafta agree with ya on the rear decklid.

------------------
1988 Aero 88 coupe.. 2.8l v6.. more mods to come.
Photo Gallery - Fiero Links - WebShop

soup

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2004 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupDirect Link to This Post
It is not PS, it does look like it, but it is just the lighting, and resizing. It might have been doctered a bit, clean it up a little, but it isn't completely mocked.
PFF
System Bot
BlueGT87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2004 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlueGT87Send a Private Message to BlueGT87Direct Link to This Post
Found this one thru a Yahoo search. Looks similar.
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/302.html

------------------
Blue 87GT - currently restoring
Red 86SE - currently parting out
Gold 86 Sport Coupe - parting next

Techbot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2004 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TechbotSend a Private Message to TechbotDirect Link to This Post
Is this a kit?? Might be something interesting to try out with a spare Fiero!
grgoyl86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2004 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grgoyl86Send a Private Message to grgoyl86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

As for the electric Fiero, I saw one a while back but don't remember where it was. The car was literally filled with giant golf cart or fork lift batteries. As for the one shown here it looks like the designer added solar self charge capability which should provide some energy replenishment. HOwever, it's doubtful that this car will run on solar power alone.

That was at Fieros At Carlisle a few years back.

[This message has been edited by grgoyl86 (edited 08-22-2004).]

numan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2004 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for numanSend a Private Message to numanDirect Link to This Post
For the solar panels displayed it would only charge a 12 volt battery on a good day. If this is a truely an electric Fireo, then they would to have an AC to DC convertor to charge the batteries which I do not see in the photo. Looks to me that someone is using the sun to keep the battery refeshed and nothing more.

Not saying I don't think it is cool I think solar is very cool.

Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2004 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post
"Red" : 1986 Fiero, converted by (then) Solar Electric in 1991, owned by Alternative Energy Corporation, used as a demonstrator and test vehicle. The car has logged over 23 thousand electric miles and is on its second set of batteries.
Specifications: 18 six-volt batteries (Douglas golf-cart batteries), 23hp DC motor, curb weight 3200lb. efficiency: 2.70 miles/kWh, top speed 76mph.

Also Found out this info about this one that started this thread.

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/302.html
------------------
4.9 Caddy in Garage! Car in Driveway! ACK!

http://home.cfl.rr.com/fierose
Central Florida Fieros
http://www.centralfloridafieros.org

[This message has been edited by Kento (edited 08-23-2004).]

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2004 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
why hasn't anyone mentioned the hood. That is the prototype '90 Fiero Hood and headlight combo. where did they get that?
watts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2004 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero~Spataro:
what does this thread have to do with a dancing 14 yr old?

Orignally posted by Dennis Lagrua:
It seems that this post is bringing up the Testosterone levels a bit, but let's not get too focused on the "jail bait" here.

Aaaaaaand before Cliff get's accused of hosting kiddie stuff!

She turned 20, 3 days ago....

nick2x88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2004 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nick2x88Send a Private Message to nick2x88Direct Link to This Post
interesting to see people talking about electric cars not being practical yet and such...actually the technology is evolving quite nicely.

here's an electric car that could embaress quite a lot of the fieros on here...a few 3800sc and v8 conversions too...

http://www.acpropulsion.com/tzero_pages/tzero_home.htm

be sure to click on the "performance" link and check out the videos. this thing is cool!

------------------
88 4cyl 5spd Western Edition
88 Formula 5spd SOLD :( but to be replaced someday.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock