Started on: 07-30-2004 10:39 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: blakeinspace on 08-31-2004 12:06 AM
Russ544

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2004 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post
I still think Archie is missing the boat by not promoting this swap more. He already sells the parts needed to do the swap, and it's such a straightforward install that it seems to be made for it.
I expect to light the fire tomorrow or the next day, depending on how long I party after the car show tomorrow (back to the 50s).

Plenty of room for the shorty Chev water pump as well, even with the double V-belt setup I'm using (I hate squeeling belts )

edit to add 2nd photo

[This message has been edited by Russ544 (edited 12-02-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2004 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I used to rag Archie just a bit about not promoting this swap. Told him that "Vortec Archie" also had a nice ring to it.

Please keep us posted.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-30-2004).]

v8fiero400

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2004 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for v8fiero400Click Here to visit v8fiero400's HomePageSend a Private Message to v8fiero400Direct Link to This Post
Looks good man.... it looks like it belongs there.
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2004 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Russ544:

I still think Archie is missing the boat by not promoting this swap more. He already sells the parts needed to do the swap, and it's such a straightforward install that it seems to be made for it.

I agree with you, I should build one myself. What I really need is a clone, I've got so many projects I want to do & everytime I start on one, I get 10 more ideas for what I'd like to do next.

Keep up the good work Russ, I'm still going to stop in to see you one of these days, if I ever get another vacation.

Archie

------------------

Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2004 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

I agree with you, I should build one myself. What I really need is a clone, I've got so many projects I want to do & everytime I start on one, I get 10 more ideas for what I'd like to do next.

Keep up the good work Russ, I'm still going to stop in to see you one of these days, if I ever get another vacation.

Archie

Ya... I keep forgetting that you have the same jerk for a boss that I do. When I need a day off I just tell him "I quit" and that shuts him up .
Drop in anytime.

Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2004 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
I like the 4.3 concept, those are torque monsters and common parts. Just seems to be that most people figure if they are going to spend the money on the swap parts, might as well get the extra two cylinders. I like the way the 4.3 fits centered better without custom water pumps and cutting things out for clearance around the nose.

Looks like your going to be running a carb? Or a throttle body setup? I think a turbo'd 4.3 would absolutely rock. Or put a roots blower up there looking old school with engine coming out decklid.

Earl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2004 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EarlSend a Private Message to EarlDirect Link to This Post
Can you list the parts you needed from Archie and others with approximate prices? I would love to do this swap.
riley

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2004 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rileySend a Private Message to rileyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Earl:

Can you list the parts you needed from Archie and others with approximate prices? I would love to do this swap.

i would like to second this notion, i dont mind if you leave out prices though i can always look them up. i know how some people are when talking about what they spend on their cars.

Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2004 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Earl:

Well... I just happen to have a couple minutes wile the 4.3 cools after it's initial 20 minute run in at 2000 rpm . I've built a bunch of sbc motors, but this was my first "built" V-6 ( I'm expecting ~ 280-300hp). With a moderatly large cam these things sound...... ummmm..... different . Anywho:

I prefer to fabricate most of my own parts, but I'm familiar with Archies parts (I've also built a sbc Fiero with Archies parts) so I think I can list what you'll need for the 4.3 with some confidence.
I started with a 85 engine from a full size truck. the 85 and 86 used HEI ignition and a carb. The 85-86 HEI will be needed regardless of what year engine you buy and I supose you could also use the Rotenchester carb and manifold if you're on a budget. If not, Edelbrock has the Performer manifold for the square bore carb of your choice.
At a minimum you'll need to call Archie for the sbc flywheel, bellhousing adaptor, front motor mount and starter adaptor block. You can also get the alternator bracket from him or build your own as you prefer. You'll also need to pick up an oil filter relocation kit (for the 4.3 as it's smaller than the early sbc), a Powermaster or similar starter, clutch pp and to bearing (Archie has the Centerforce clutch if you like those).
I used the stock trans mounts and slotted the cradel mount bolt hole about 3/4" to slide the engine over to the left a bit. The engine rubber mount is also stock Fiero, but you'll need to hack ~ 1" off the bottom of Archies mount and use a 6" piece of 2" angle iron bolted to the back side to bolt up to it.
Keep in mind that my swap was into an 88 4 banger, so your particular setup may vary slightly.
Water pump is the shorty sbc pump turned upside down (don't forget to plug the steam hole). My pulleys were scrounged from the mountain of pulleys at my local pick and pull, so you'll have to get creative on that one. Just get some that put the pulley as close as possible to the balancer.
Both rear rad hose from my 88 were used by cutting a few inches off the top of the right side and splicing on a 90 degree hose I spotted on the rack at my friendly auto parts store. It also solved the problem of going from the 1 3/4" pump inlet to the 1 1/4" Fiero lines. You'll need to fabricate a crossover pipe to get over to the original left side hose (see photo). I like to use the Fiero thermistat housing by cutting off the bottom and fabricating the correct size flange, but you could use a Chev style if you prefer.
Lots of little tidbits like throttle linkage brackets etc etc, but you just need to solve those problems as you get to them for your particular situation.
Wireing is identical to the sbc swap so Archies video tape will help you out there.
Muffler options are the same as the sbc but I used an 80 series Flowmaster on this car without major alterations (a small notch out of the cradel). Headers are from an 88 Astro Van (2 left side) .
I think this hits most of the high points, but if I left anything out or you need clarification on anything I'd be glad to share my solutions.

Here's a shot of the engine, with most of the modifications mounted on it, for reference

[This message has been edited by Russ544 (edited 12-02-2004).]

Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2004 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Russ544:

Here's a shot of the engine, with most of the modifications mounted on it, for reference

man that looks nice!

------------------
-Chris - Custom Gun Metal 86 GT 3.4 5spd
3.4 SOLD & 4.9 being installed

"It's too low, too rough, too loud, drinks gas, it's totally impractical, but damn good lookin. In other words, It's almost perfect!"
Build up tread or MODS w/ Pics

Boomtastic

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2004 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoomtasticClick Here to visit Boomtastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BoomtasticDirect Link to This Post
I gotta agree - damn sweet looking!!

------------------

PFF
System Bot
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2004 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post
Looks awful familiar....I had the 4.3 in my boat. The manifolds were a bit different than those, though..
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2004 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Niiiiice!

I'm thoroughly impressed. That thing's gonna be a beast.

I'll offer a suggestion for pulleys and water pump.
Seems like the '75-'80 305 Chevy Monza had the shortest water pump and pulleys that could be gotten. Had the shortest ones that I've ever seen, anyway.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-31-2004).]

Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2004 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Niiiiice!

I'm thoroughly impressed. That thing's gonna be a beast.

I'll offer a suggestion for pulleys and water pump.
Seems like the '75-'80 305 Chevy Monza had the shortest water pump and pulleys that could be gotten. Had the shortest ones that I've ever seen, anyway.

Awhhhhhh yes. brings back fond memories. My first real engine "swap" was a 75 Olds Starfire (kissin' cousin of the Monsa) that I stuffed full of 350/350. headers wrapped around the frame like a basket of snakes. I don't recall if it had a special water pump or not. it seems to me that it was just a standard shorty but I could be wrong.......... that was about 25 years ago .

[This message has been edited by Russ544 (edited 07-31-2004).]

Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2004 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post
Last shot of the engine project, but you'll be seeing this car again soon in another thread, as the IMSA widebody kit goes on it.

I drove the car aroiund the block today. It's amazing to me just how different the personality of each Fiero can be. I own 5 "drivers" and each one is a vastly different experience to drive than the others. This one feels light and nimble, with an amazing amount of snap for a V-6. I may have to do some more muffler work on it however as it sounds a bit "ricey" for my taste.
On to phase 2

Russ

[This message has been edited by Russ544 (edited 12-03-2004).]

bamman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2004 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bammanSend a Private Message to bammanDirect Link to This Post
I was going to do this swap before I went to the caddy 4.5. In fact I haven't sold any of the parts I picked up. 3 blocks and a 4 bbl intake from a 262 v6. My son may use it someday or even me in a different car. Thanks for the sharing and it was good to see one finish.
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
Once again.. I wish I could give someone multiple positives...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock