Started on: 06-05-2004 09:50 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: Blacktree on 06-10-2004 04:39 PM
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2004 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
For various reasons (mainly weight and bulk), I decided to nix the dual 10" subs that were behind my seats. So I had to think up another subwoofer setup for the system. I didn't want to use another behind-the-seat setup, and didn't want people kicking in a footwell sub. That basically left me with one option: the rear console. I didn't want to use the usual console sub setup, because the exposed speaker just screams "Steal me!"

I recently built a powered subwoofer setup for my home theater system, using a down-firing arrangement, and thought it would be neat to build a "stealthed" console sub with a down-firing speaker. After making some measurements and doing some calculations, I figured I could fabricate a box with about 0.5 ft3 volume, using an 8" woofer. After some looking around, I went with this 8" DVC sub and a modest bridgeable amp with crossover and bass boost. With a box volume of 0.5 ft3 and some stuffing, the Qtc should be around 0.7 or so. In layman's terms, it means the sound quality will be superior to your average car subwoofer setup.

But enough of the audio geek stuff. Y'all want to see what it looks like, right? Here's a "cutaway" view of the box, taken before I installed the second side panel.

As you can see, the box is "skewed" to match the angle of the firewall. The side panels extend beyond the back of the box, to hide the ECM and wiring.

The box is mounted to the firewall using metal brackets. I fabbed up some box mounts using 1" aluminum angle stock and pieces of 1x2" lumber. The idea is to have the box's mounting screws sink into the wood instead of peeking out the other side of a metal bracket and damaging the wiring. Here you see the box mounts installed on the firewall.

I designed the box so that it snugs into the recessed part of the firewall cover, just like the original console did. This should hopefully make the box look like it belongs there. It is bigger than the original console, though. But it doesn't interfere with the seats. Here you can see the (unfinished) box being test-fitted onto the firewall.

It's hard to see in that photo, but the box is suspended about 1.5" above the center console. This should allow enough space for the sound to radiate out into the cabin. In the next photo, you get a peek at the underside of the box, and a better view of the empty space underneath.

I'll update this thread as I progress with the project.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 06-05-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
85fierowiks

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2004 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fierowiksSend a Private Message to 85fierowiksDirect Link to This Post
nice work, + for ya
Boomtastic

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2004 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoomtasticClick Here to visit Boomtastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BoomtasticDirect Link to This Post
Does it interfere with opening a sunroof? (Or do you not have one?) I know my Aus box makes opening the sunroof a challenge ..

------------------

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2004 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
It's a hardtop.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 06-05-2004).]

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2004 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
The "stealth sub" is finished! Here's a photo:

The sides are covered in charcoal grey felt, with 1/4" thick wood plates on the top and front. The wood plates are made of 1/4" x 4" strips, glued together side-by-side and cut to fit. They're finished with walnut stain and gloss varnish. This motif will continue through the rest of the interior.

datacop

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2004 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopDirect Link to This Post
Very nice.
stimpy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 386
User Banned

Report this Post06-09-2004 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post
My God,it's HUGE!
chester
From: State of insanity...moved in and comfortably numb...

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2004 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
Looks good! What are you going to use to finish off the area that the original console covered?? Creative and uniqe.
Have you given it a test listenin'? How does it sound?

Rob D

------------------

The Dirty Rat
Chopped, dropped and just plain NASTY! Choptop Targa #1
383 Stroker MPFI with N2O
1" Drop
3" Chop
11" Brakes
19" Motegi Roja's wrapped in BFGoodrich Gforce T/A KDW-2 rubber
RCC Coilover Suspension
Updated Jan 21 '04 www.dirtyratracing.org

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2004 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by datacop:

Very nice.

ditto!
So the sub is facing which way..??

------------------
aka."SmoothGT"
Custom Built -- W I D E B O D Y-- GT!!
One of One!!

2nd Generation WideBody coming soon... :)

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2004 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
The sub is aimed down at the console. Refer to the first pic I posted, and imagine the left side being attached to the firewall.

I got a chance to test-listen in the house. I hooked the sub's amp up to a 12V power supply and the subwoofer output of my HT receiver. It sounds really good... tight, clean bass down to about 30Hz. I don't have a head unit or any other audio equipment in the car (stripped interior), so it'll be awhile before I can hear it in the car. I hope what I heard in the house will be heard in the car too (crossing my fingers).

What are you going to use to finish off the area that the original console covered?

More wood and felt, with some carpet for good measure.

BTW, thanks to everyone for the compliments.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 06-09-2004).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2004 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Nice work, but that console wouldn't survive my elbow on every 1-2 shift.
PFF
System Bot
zMacK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2004 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zMacKSend a Private Message to zMacKDirect Link to This Post
It probably sounds pretty good inside. especially if you have a nice system

I dont see it rattlin any windowz though.

zMacK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2004 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zMacKSend a Private Message to zMacKDirect Link to This Post

zMacK

2194 posts
Member since Apr 2004
It kind of reminds me of a bigger computer, altec lansing sub setup.
Its pretty small, but sounds very chrisp.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2004 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Formula88: This is one rare case where it's better to have a slushbox.

zMack: I used to have a pair of Blaupunkt 10" subs behind the seats, driven by a 2x150W amp, along with some coaxial aftermarket speakers in the stock locations. When I put together that system, I didn't know jack about audio engineering. While that setup had plenty of power to annoy people from over 50 yards, and gave good back massages, it was lacking in sound quality. Now I'm a little older and wiser. The entire sound system is being replaced, using the mantra "quality over quantity".

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock