Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  *** Intrest in Fiberglass dash *** (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
*** Intrest in Fiberglass dash *** by 88GTFormula
Started on: 06-03-2004 01:05 AM
Replies: 45
Last post by: Fie Ro on 06-13-2004 02:40 PM
88GTFormula

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post
How many of you guys would like to see a fiberglass dash (with the fiero stock look) ?

If there was any made, what would you pay for one ?
When i say fiberglass, I mean smooth... Can be painted... Fiberglass Pretty much with the stock look...

Dumb Idea ?

All you fiberglass guys out there, would it be worth the time ?
Would they sell ?

What do you guys think about my........ Idea (most likely another dumb one) ?

Lemmie know your opinion... Before I attempt it, I'd like to hear some input...

~Tim

------------------
1888 Notchback, L4 (Red) **Soon to be an SE Fastback w/ many many custom mods.**

1987 Notchback, L4 (White) **Daily driver (Stock)**

1977 Corvette, 350 **Setting until '87 is complete**
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/610461

[This message has been edited by 88GTFormula (edited 06-03-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Nebiros88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nebiros88Click Here to visit Nebiros88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Nebiros88Direct Link to This Post
Good idea...

I would pay a lot more for a Fiberglass Firebird dash thats ready to paint and install though...

good luck

BDF88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BDF88GTSend a Private Message to BDF88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nebiros88:

Good idea...

I would pay a lot more for a Fiberglass Firebird dash thats ready to paint and install though...

good luck

that bolts right up to the stock locations.. if possible

KingOfKings

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KingOfKingsClick Here to visit KingOfKings's HomePageSend a Private Message to KingOfKingsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nebiros88:

Good idea...

good luck

Same here.

------------------
*~ Out In The West Coast Shownin' Off My Bad Habits ~*

DjDraggin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DjDragginSend a Private Message to DjDragginDirect Link to This Post
yeah but this would be different.. and isnt that what we're all out for? theres a good hand full of Fbody dashes going in nowa days.. just like 3800sc swaps.
I like the idea though it would be really smooth like what they do to old metal hotrod dashes. Color match it to the car and you got something. The simplest way though would be to make it a cover and only have to move like the center gauges or someting. not a full blown mess, but not just a drop on cover.

I'd dig the idea if I didnt already have a custom dash in the works.. maybe some one with some tie and photoshop skills could whip up a smoothie dash so we could get the idea. Nothing in the Fiero world is a silly idea.. if there was a such thing then we would most likly not even bother with these cars..LOL L8

------------------

Ferrari 308 GTB rebody on a modified 86SE chasis Soon to have a highly hooped up 3800SC..Ohh yeah baby!!
Contacts _ AIM / Zildjianfx _ Yahoo / djdraggin
Remember, always brush your milk, drink your teeth, dont do sleep and get eight hours of drugs.

88GTFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have any pictures of the '89 prototype dash ?

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
That's a GOOD idea ... but an even BETTER idea would be to make one with a guage pod that's rounded like the 1990 fiero show car ... let everybody update their look and still keep the stock swithces and instruments .... there's already been quite a few people express interest in buying this ...
SaLvAgEd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SaLvAgEdSend a Private Message to SaLvAgEdDirect Link to This Post
I like the idea... there's a lot of Fiero dashes with busted corners. I like my Fiero dash, but it's busted.

The '89 updated dash sounds like a great idea!

goyal99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for goyal99Send a Private Message to goyal99Direct Link to This Post
Don't bother making a STOCK fiberglass dash copy....Nobody will buy it....Why??? The stock Firero dash looks like crap and way outdated....If you're going to the trouble of making copies, make a modern dash copy that can be retrofited to a Fiero.

I would personally pay up to $200 for a nice fiberglass dash, but not a Fiero copy..

VK

SaLvAgEd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SaLvAgEdSend a Private Message to SaLvAgEdDirect Link to This Post
I personally kinda like the stock dash...
88GTFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post
Anyone besides me out there good with photoshop ?
Maybe you could show me what you would like to see... Dashwise... Interior wise...

Keep the replies comin'

~Tim

PFF
System Bot
derangedsheep

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for derangedsheepSend a Private Message to derangedsheepDirect Link to This Post
what about a stock replacement but with a little hood type thing to go over the gauge pod to give everything a little more of a rounded off and less podish styling

edit: like this sorta

[This message has been edited by derangedsheep (edited 06-03-2004).]

88GTFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post
I plan on making dash covers, and gauge plates (whatever u wanna call em)

Mainly my only questions are..

What style is everyone into ? Stock or a more Modern Stock style ?
Would anyone buy it... Also if so, what would you consider paying for things ?
Gimmie ideas, let me know what YOU want... And what style YOU like for your fiero...

Keep the photoshop edits coming... As well as the replies...

If I see there is intrest in this, I'll make more than just one for myself (a one off) but if I'm the only one that likes the idea, theres not much point in wanting to know what all the fiero owners like...

You know what I mean ?

What kinda interior MODS are you guys into ?

~Tim

KingOfKings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KingOfKingsClick Here to visit KingOfKings's HomePageSend a Private Message to KingOfKingsDirect Link to This Post
I'd love to have something that looks more modern, and fairly easy to install, since alot of people probably have concerns about tearing apart their dash. any pics or anything like that? I'd be interested.

------------------
*~ Out In The West Coast Shownin' Off My Bad Habits ~*

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by goyal99:

Don't bother making a STOCK fiberglass dash copy....Nobody will buy it....Why??? The stock Firero dash looks like crap and way outdated....If you're going to the trouble of making copies, make a modern dash copy that can be retrofited to a Fiero.

I would personally pay up to $200 for a nice fiberglass dash, but not a Fiero copy..

VK

I agree. Why would anyone want the "same" look of a stock Fiero dash? Thats like making a fiberglass stock rear side panel? Maybe "sprucing it-up" the over-all dash image a little but not the original style.

Bwy, its already been done, hehehe. Thats not "stock" but modified just enough so that it looks somewhat "fiero-ish." Beside all that is needed is the vent areas, center, and radio. The back portion or where I had them cover the old dash is all that is needed IMO. I already have a couple of people interested in my dash now. I just need to take it out and make the molds. However, summers here so it will have to wait.

------------------

88GTFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KingOfKings:

I'd love to have something that looks more modern, and fairly easy to install, since alot of people probably have concerns about tearing apart their dash. any pics or anything like that? I'd be interested.

no pix yet... I havent even started the dash yet...

Im getting everyones opinion on it, and I would like to get a list of everyone who would be interested in a fiberglass dash of anykind...

But the issue at the moment is what kinda style to go with...

You say you'd like to see a more modern style...
Any suggestions you'd like to see on the fiberglass dash ? what kindof things would you change and how... See if you can explain it... Then hopefully we could get someone to photoshop it for us...

as i said earlier and will keep saying through this whole project, "I wanna know what fiero owners like, and what kinda mods. they'd like to see interior wise"

~Tim

88GTFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post

88GTFormula

2721 posts
Member since May 2004

Originally posted by madcurl:

I agree. Why would anyone want the "same" look of a stock Fiero dash? Thats like making a fiberglass stock rear side panel? Maybe "sprucing it-up" the over-all dash image a little but not the original style.

Bwy, its already been done, hehehe. Thats not "stock" but modified just enough so that it looks somewhat "fiero-ish." Beside all that is needed is the vent areas, center, and radio. The back portion or where I had them cover the old dash is all that is needed IMO. I already have a couple of people interested in my dash now. I just need to take it out and make the molds. However, summers here so it will have to wait.

What suggestions would you have to give the "stock dash" a more "modern" look...

Any pix you could photoshop, or show us ?

~Tim

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
People have talked before about doing a Ferrari-ish type dash that goes over the stock one, uses all the oem gauges. Id be interested in that in raw glass for maybe around $150 providing it fits well. Ive run a custom made 'hood' on mine for years covered in vinyl to match my dash, I hate that 'pod' look.
88GTFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

People have talked before about doing a Ferrari-ish type dash that goes over the stock one, uses all the oem gauges. Id be interested in that in raw glass for maybe around $150 providing it fits well. Ive run a custom made 'hood' on mine for years covered in vinyl to match my dash, I hate that 'pod' look.

When you say raw glass... Do you mean ready to paint ?
You have any pix of that hood just for my curiousity of what your talking about..

By the ferrari style dash your talking about, do you mean something like archie has out, or the euro dash PISA has out ?

http://pisafierohq.com/interiors/fiero_3-08/ theres the PISA one... I prefer Archies more though...

Something like that ?

~Tim

[This message has been edited by 88GTFormula (edited 06-03-2004).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88GTFormula:

What suggestions would you have to give the "stock dash" a more "modern" look...

Any pix you could photoshop, or show us ?

~Tim

no need for phot-shop here for a "modern look." heres the link.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/040235.html

You dont need to cut up your existing near perfect dash. Go out and find a trashed one and cut accordingly. Mines has (5) separate pieces and only the bolts in the front consule is exposed ,which in the future will be fixed.

However, heres a better idea that I like: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/041283.html

Cost? mine if made? $400-500 Mines okay, but it ain't a total redone, just modified.
Joes? maybe $800-900? Thats a lotta work. Having this one in your Fiero....priceless!

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 06-03-2004).]

Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Get creative. The '90 prototype had what looked like a Firebird gauge cluster in a new style round gauge pod. I like the F-body gauge clusters, but all the F-Body cars I find in yards around here are there cause they got in a wreck, so the air bags are popped. My point is, I can't get a good F-Body dash and I don't like it that much anyway, but the gauges are cool and are usually still in the wrecked cars. Make a new dash, one that can use cool round vents like Madcurls, a Firebird or Camaro cluster, and get creative with the rest (a real glove box might be nice). Just an idea.
PFF
System Bot
88GTFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post
Well, my dasdh isnt (or should I say wasnt the best...) it was warped and all kinda stuff...

I just got finished tearing the center console out of my 88, and the radio, AC surround thingy..

So yea, mid-as-well keep tearing the rest off once i get the center console molded... and fiberglassed...

~Tim

Keep the ideas (pix are nice 2) coming

88GTFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post

88GTFormula

2721 posts
Member since May 2004

Originally posted by madcurl:

no need for phot-shop here for a "modern look." heres the link.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/040235.html

You dont need to cut up your existing near perfect dash. Go out and find a trashed one and cut accordingly. Mines has (5) separate pieces and only the bolts in the front consule is exposed ,which in the future will be fixed.

However, heres a better idea that I like: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/041283.html

Cost? mine if made? $400-500 Mines okay, but it ain't a total redone, just modified.
Joes? maybe $800-900? Thats a lotta work. Having this one in your Fiero....priceless!

Like I said b4, "i love your dash"

Your dash is....... more than modern, its like 30th century...
If I make more than 1 of these fiberglass dashes Its gonna take forever for 1...
2. Its gotta take the original screws from everyones dash for them to install...

keep the ideas coming one area of the interior at a time... lets start ideas on the center console since I have it torn out, and will be making molds soon...

What advise would you give on the center console ? For looks, what kinda mods. ?

~Tim

C DuBBz87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for C DuBBz87GTSend a Private Message to C DuBBz87GTDirect Link to This Post
Im atempting this dash soon, So im obviously partial to this, In my opinion

Its like a beautiful woman in that it has some unbelievable curves and lines.......
what do you guys think?

------------------
Cameron Hoag

~*I want more than this world has to offer.
AIM: CDubbZ111
Year: 1987
Make/Model: Fiero GT
Color: Primer grey and burgundy
Transmission: 5spd Manual
AC PL PW PM sunroof defrost

Quad GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTDirect Link to This Post
Very nice curves!!
bsculptor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bsculptorSend a Private Message to bsculptorDirect Link to This Post
what does archies dash look like , where can i find a picture .

i have the pisa dash .. i am installing
at the moment . It fits really nice .

Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Dug up some pictures for you The '90 prototype dash and Wholf's Firebird interior.

88GTFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post
go to www.v8archie.com

You'll find his dash kit under the "products" link

~Tim

$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
i would like to see a Direct bolt in fireturd dash aswell thst had a location under the pass side for like an 8" or maybe even a 10" sub that had a sealed 1 Cube box all built in

------------------
Rich AIM: ONE FAST 2M8

white-- 86se V6 daily driver
Gold--- 86se 355 SBC

88GTFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post
Any more ideas for a concept fiberglass dash ?
Lets get this down to the nitty gritty...

~Tim

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2004 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
CDubbz - You should get one of the digital cavalier dash clusters for your interior - it would B a KILLER setup !

Is that Archie's interior kit ?

PFF
System Bot
KingOfKings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2004 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KingOfKingsClick Here to visit KingOfKings's HomePageSend a Private Message to KingOfKingsDirect Link to This Post
The 1.0 cubic airspace under the passenger side sounds good. Maybe spots for a nice set of component speakers? I agree that the dash pod is outdated, something that smoothly extends all the way across would be nice. But it can't be too hard to install, cuz then I'd cry
NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2004 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by NotAFieroAnyLonger (edited 06-08-2004).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2004 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88GTFormula:

What advise would you give on the center console ? For looks, what kinda mods. ?

~Tim

Other than the stock Firebird dash, the best or shall I say "one of the best" center console is WCF's. If you order it w/o the leather you can then modifiy it accordingly, just like I did. I believe the "key" word here is "modified." When I ordered mine I asked that they extend it lengh-wise by 4" that way it butted-up against the radio console.

The gauges, Viper bezel, and Street Work's bullet aluminum cups and window switches contributed to the over-all them.

Fiero~Spataro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2004 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero~SpataroSend a Private Message to Fiero~SpataroDirect Link to This Post
the 240 interior is really nice too, maybe someone could post some pics.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2004 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Like Archies or Pisas. I want to keep the stock gauge cluster. By raw I mean just fiberglass cut to fit, ready to sand and paint or cover with vinyl or material.

some of my dash in here http://groups.msn.com/rogerscarphotos

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 06-04-2004).]

Garethster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2004 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GarethsterSend a Private Message to GarethsterDirect Link to This Post
If you want to improve on the stock dash -- make sure you change the size of the speaker cutouts to accomodate something better than the stock Fiero speakers.
C DuBBz87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2004 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for C DuBBz87GTSend a Private Message to C DuBBz87GTDirect Link to This Post
Paul,
The dash is found at www.kingdomcustoms.com which fits nicely with there Diabolic kit,

and yes the digi dash would look awsome, but i really was hoping to drop a 3.8sc in my fiero. So with that thought.Ii was wanting to redo all the guages, and install the Cyberdine digital guages in, with that dash, I wanted to use the firebird Heater and AC vents, only becuase they should look quite nice......
But with that dash, i will still need to figure out where im going to put a LCD "monitor"
and some sort of subwoofers
Keep in mind these plans of mine wont be right away seeing that im only 16, with 2 fieros.

------------------
Cameron Hoag

[This message has been edited by C DuBBz87GT (edited 06-06-2004).]

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2004 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
...trying out a "new" version of the ugly stock dash in 3D
dash version 1.27

...still fighting the dash design...version 1.90210

The midconsole turns out great, this is the style I want to incorporate in the rest of the interior....

This is a piece of my imagination about an "updated" fiero interior... and I think I will end up building "something" I guess
hope you enjoy it.

[This message has been edited by Fie Ro (edited 06-06-2004).]

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2004 04:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
CDubz: Thanks

I think Fie Ro is onto something good here !

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock