Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  My Scoop idea becoming a reality (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
My Scoop idea becoming a reality by Wholf
Started on: 05-02-2004 02:02 AM
Replies: 71
Last post by: Wholf on 05-31-2004 01:11 PM
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2004 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Wholf,

Using the technique you applied, would it have not been better to cover the foam with plaster (or something else someone can suggest )first, before fiberglassing in order to better retain the mold ?

IP: Logged
Wholf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2004 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WholfSend a Private Message to WholfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Wholf,

Using the technique you applied, would it have not been better to cover the foam with plaster (or something else someone can suggest )first, before fiberglassing in order to better retain the mold ?

More then likely, but my major interest was not in saving the molds, it was just getting a good mold to work with. I had to allow for the thickness of the glass to compensate for the fit. If I would of used plaster or something else to cover the foam with, that would of had to of been considered also. Plus that would of been even more work on the mold itself.
It would of been nice to of had the molds out in one piece, but I doubt anyone would have really used them because of the work involved. I could easily make another mold if I had to, that was the fun part .

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2004 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
To me..... it seems like the center section should be smaller. high wise and width wise. Kinda like the rear (spoiler?) area. It does seem a little "blocky" as in square. For a third brake light, I used a elclips wing light. very small and it is fitted up between the rear window and the rear of the roof clip.(no one knows it's there till I hit the brakes.)

Before you mold it in...do me the favor and make a smaller center section for it just to "see" the difference. not for your line of sight, but for the aesthetics of the surrounding lines of the car. all thin lines right?

BUT all in all it is your car and you will be the one driving(or me ) just have fun with it as you would say.....

oh and leave the side vents alone (or mold them in )

------------------

98 3800SC GTP motor,3.4 pulley, Getrag 5sp.
custom hood, trunk, side scoops, IRM front spoiler, 17" excel's , dk.Shadow Grey

[This message has been edited by revin (edited 05-05-2004).]

Wholf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2004 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WholfSend a Private Message to WholfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

Before you mold it in...do me the favor and make a smaller center section for it just to "see" the difference. not for your line of sight, but for the aesthetics of the surrounding lines of the car. all thin lines right?

BUT all in all it is your car and you will be the one driving(or me ) just have fun with it as you would say.....

oh and leave the side vents alone (or mold them in )

Well it is a little to late for that on this one.... If you notice in the beggining of this thread where the casting is upside down, it is all one piece. I made it this way to be removable. I guess that accounts for the thickness of the middle section especially since it supports both scoops. In all honesty it does look chubby in the pictures, but I am also not finished shaping it down. Also for some reason in the rear shot of the scoop it looks like the center section sticks up higher then it actually does( I do have to shave the bottom of the entire scoop down), but in person I only have a little over an inch showing above that lip. This inch is where the 3rd brake light is going. Try to picture everything a real glossy black, and I think you will see the picture I have in my mind. The good thing about it being removable, is that down the road, I can always make a new one. Right now though, I just want to get it done so I can finish prepping the body for paint.
" I " WANT TO DRIVE IT!!!!!

Harold

[This message has been edited by Wholf (edited 05-11-2004).]

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2004 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
You can have the middle section sloping down at the rear side (use/copy/match the lines of the rear clip!)...it will match better to the car and it will make the vents "bigger".... my $0,02

Shape it untill you're completely satisfied! Or you will be making another one soon.

...You can drive it without paint...it will be faster too without the weight.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2004 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, looking at the rear view pic, you may need to do some additional modification to the side deck vents?

Hmmm.........I think your running into the same problem I had prior to my rear vents.

Whats the problem? IMO, the side deck vent don't flow with the rear deck fascia line. What I mean is: the outer rear deck line as it slopes down towards the rear end is similar to the GT fast back, right? What I had my glass man to do was: Right were the end of the side vents "start' to appear from side angle was to stop there and add some "slopes" or "extend" it to memick the slope of the rear deck. The pics of the Silver choptop demonstrates this. Otherwise IMO my vents would appear "shortened or stubby looking. I not saying that you need to make it look just like mine, but similarly is what I'm constructivly trying to suggest.

the center piece or rectangular item. I don't know what is/may not be needed right now IMO. Elongate the vents first, and then visually inspect it later?

------------------

Wholf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2004 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WholfSend a Private Message to WholfDirect Link to This Post
Ok here is another update... After lots of filling and sanding, and a little more fiberglass, I got the scoops looking like this.

They flow so nice!!

Time to add some bondo...

------------------

Photo Gallery
Harold
308 Rebody on 85GT Chassis
Custom 2000 Firebird Interior
3800SC 3.4 Pulley w/WCF Headers & Reprogrammed PCM
Complete Suspension & Brake Upgrade

Wholf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2004 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WholfSend a Private Message to WholfDirect Link to This Post

Wholf

379 posts
Member since Mar 2003
After adding some bondo and a little wet sanding I decided I needed to throw some primer on to see where I was at.
The following pictures should give you and Idea how it is going to look when done, except it will all be black..
The primer has really showed me where I need to do more sanding to straighten everything out. I also need to cut out where I am putting my 3rd brake light, but I will wait until she is completely straight.

Amazing what a little foam and fiberglass can do for a car....

------------------

Photo Gallery
Harold

Will-Martin

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2004 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinDirect Link to This Post
Yeah,

That looks awesome. Good job man.

--Will

DjDraggin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2004 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DjDragginSend a Private Message to DjDragginDirect Link to This Post
ohhhh diggin it man.. coming together really well..

now be a good boy and make sure to use a flush mouning led brake light No need for a ugly light bulb style light in such a good looking spot. And plus just think about the fun it would be replacing the bulb each time shutting the lid takes it out. L8

------------------

Ferrari 308 GTB rebody on a modified 86SE chasis Soon to have a highly hooped up 3800SC..Ohh yeah baby!!
Contacts _ AIM / Zildjianfx _ Yahoo / djdraggin
Remember, always brush your milk, drink your teeth, dont do sleep and get eight hours of drugs.

Wholf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2004 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WholfSend a Private Message to WholfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DjDraggin:

ohhhh diggin it man.. coming together really well..

now be a good boy and make sure to use a flush mouning led brake light No need for a ugly light bulb style light in such a good looking spot. And plus just think about the fun it would be replacing the bulb each time shutting the lid takes it out. L8

Way ahead of you Eric, that is why I have the rear center section sticking up about 1 1/2" above that lip.... The LED is only about 1/2 wide and about 8" long, and it is going right in the center!

------------------

Photo Gallery
Harold

PFF
System Bot
Wholf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2004 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WholfSend a Private Message to WholfDirect Link to This Post

Wholf

379 posts
Member since Mar 2003
You can't really tell that a whole day of wet sanding and filling went into these, but believe me it did. I ran out of filler primer, so I had to quit.

I was originally going to put mesh screen over the opening, but after looking at it, I kind of like them open the way they are.....
What do you all think???

------------------

Photo Gallery
Harold

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2004 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
I don't know how I missed this thread, but that's a really nice job there Wholf. Sorry I can't give you more plusses.
Look forward to seeing you over at Ari's, too.

Later,
Bob

PS, too bad it's 10:30(pm), now I want to get back in the garage and do some sanding....

GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2004 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
id put a screen on them. I can picture i nice bee hive or nest of some sort showing up in there

------------------

Carbed 2.9 engine build in progress. forged pistons, crane cam, fully balanced, ARP bolts, double roller timing chain and more
--Adam--
IM AOL: FieroGT5speed

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2004 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
hmmmm ... where did I see something like that B4

Beautiful work, Harold .....

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 05-11-2004).]

Wholf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2004 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WholfSend a Private Message to WholfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

hmmmm ... where did I see something like that B4

Beautiful work, Harold .....

Paul, where in the world did you find that, and what is it? Not tooting my own horn, or putting anyones work down, but I like my design much better . However it appears that I was not the first one to think of covering those openings.
As far as the mesh/screen, I am going to look around and see what is available.... If I can't find something that looks right, I am going to leave them open.

------------------

Photo Gallery
Harold

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2004 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
The scoops turned out nice! There are a lot of different screens available, different styles, colors, sizes and materials. I will be using 2 different styles on mine: round hole black plastic for the big openings and fine aluminium mesh for smaller vents.....Try to find something matching your car
again, nice work!
Wholf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2004 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WholfSend a Private Message to WholfDirect Link to This Post
I have something in mind, kind of honeycomb shaped. Plus I have some of the mesh that is already on the car to play with. If it don't look right I will leave them open.
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2004 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
Harold, that's a real 1984 ferrari 512 BB (Berlineta Boxer) - you'll have to take up the styling issue with Pininfarina . My Corson kit looks just like it but the pic of my kit wasn't that good. Here's a treat for you - check THIS out (the engine from the car in the previous pic):

Nah, I wouldn't want it cause I'd lose my trunk space ...

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 05-13-2004).]

Wholf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2004 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WholfSend a Private Message to WholfDirect Link to This Post

Harold, that's a real 1984 ferrari 512 BB (Berlineta Boxer) - you'll have to take up the styling issue with Pininfarina . My Corson kit looks just like it but the pic of my kit wasn't that good. Here's a treat for you - check THIS out (the engine from the car in the previous pic):

Nah, I wouldn't want it cause I'd lose my trunk space ...

Sweeeeeet, and I agree with you about the trunk space............ "NOT!"

------------------

Photo Gallery
Harold

Wholf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2004 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WholfSend a Private Message to WholfDirect Link to This Post
Time for another update....
I finally got it straight enough, and decided to cut out where the third brake light is going. I used a piece of L shaped aluminum for the mounting bracket of the light.

This next shot is of the opening with out the lights in it...

The next two shots are with the lights just stuck in their with tape to show how they will look (only straighter)

If you are interested in seeing how they will look at night check out this link http://www.texasfieros.com/members/haroldw/videos/3rd_low.wmv
When the parking lights are on they will move, and when you hit the brakes they go solid.

------------------

Photo Gallery
Harold

PFF
System Bot
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2004 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
nice progress ...
Wholf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2004 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WholfSend a Private Message to WholfDirect Link to This Post

nice progress ...

What do you think about the 3rd light? After talking to a few people, I think Stuart is going to put a switch in to turn off/on the lighting effect when the lights are on. We are not sure of the legality of having a red moving strobe on the back of the car.

------------------

Photo Gallery
Harold

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2004 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Cool !
Where did you get the 3rd light at? Kinda like a twin night rider effect huh

Reminds me of the lic. plates that had the led all around them and flashed !!

Will be interesting to hear what the law is on them...

P.S. Oh the screen I used was the gutter guard and the "protective screen" (so the dog doesn't tear up the screen door kind)

------------------

98 3800SC GTP motor,3.4 pulley, Getrag 5sp.
custom hood, trunk, side scoops, IRM front spoiler, 17" excel's , dk.Shadow Grey

Wholf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2004 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WholfSend a Private Message to WholfDirect Link to This Post
Revin, I purchased the LED lights from Autozone, they cost like $30.00 for the kit. Stuart said he can install a switch to make the effect only happen when I want them too(like at a car show). My main interest was in having a 3rd brake light back their since my car is so low to the ground. I have seen that screen you are talking about, matter of fact I had to use it back when I had a couple of Rott's, its pretty stout material.. However I have decided to leave the vents open for now. I have got to get to work on getting her ready to paint in two weeks.
Take care...

Harold

bryson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2004 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonDirect Link to This Post
Just wanted to let you know that you inspired me to try a new decklid scoop, as opposed to the one I made before by cutting out a section and raising it up using cardboard I fiberglassed over. Excellent writeup!
--Bryson

------------------
88 Fiero GT Quad4 Turbo =) Fo' Sheezy!

The Aura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2004 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraDirect Link to This Post
don't the koenig versions of the 512 TR have similar styled vents....

very nice work btw!

Wholf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2004 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WholfSend a Private Message to WholfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bryson:

Just wanted to let you know that you inspired me to try a new decklid scoop, as opposed to the one I made before by cutting out a section and raising it up using cardboard I fiberglassed over. Excellent writeup!
--Bryson

How did it turn out? You got any pictures of it?
Thanks for the compliment, and I am glad I helped in some little way

Harold

datacop

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2004 03:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopDirect Link to This Post
Wholf,

For those interested.. you can make a reverse mold of the finished product so that you can reproduce the scoops.

I found a rather excellent write up on how to do it fairly cheaply (from the car audio people no less )..

http://www.fbodyaudio.com/articleviewer.php?article=molds.tech

Frugal328

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2004 06:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Frugal328Send a Private Message to Frugal328Direct Link to This Post

I have something simular but the vent opening is backwards
Wholf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2004 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WholfSend a Private Message to WholfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Frugal328:

I have something simular but the vent opening is backwards

Now that is sweet..... Did you do that your self??

PFF
System Bot
Wholf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2004 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WholfSend a Private Message to WholfDirect Link to This Post

Wholf

379 posts
Member since Mar 2003
Didn't think anyone was really following this, but I was wrong.... Sorry! Here is a quick update. I attempted to paint my car this weekend, but failed drastically.
Everything that could go wrong, went wrong. Trash, bugs, runs, you name it, it happened. I am now sanding down the whole body and I will have a pro do it right.
The only good thing that has come out of this, is that the BC/CC has made one hell of a nice filler for the next guy to shoot on. The body work should be A+ by the time I get her to the shop.
Here is a picture of what the scoops look like painted.
Please ignore the orange peel and dust... You get the idea though!

As always, thanks for looking, and I will update everything with a new thread when the paint is finished.

------------------

Photo Gallery
Harold

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C